PDA

View Full Version : Who do we even root for, the As or the Twins?

rowand33
08-01-2005, 08:16 PM
Who the hell do we root for in this series?

on one hand, I'd like to see the As win to further reduce the magic number.

on the other hand, I'd much rather the Twins make the playoffs than the As.

it's so conflicting.

what's best case? split?

infohawk
08-01-2005, 08:28 PM
The A's. The best thing that could happen for the Sox would be for the A's to win their division so we don't have to face them in the first round. I'm not saying we can't beat them, but I would just assume not draw them in the first round.

PeteWard
08-01-2005, 08:36 PM
Cheer for the As though I would not mind if the cool down after this series.

The priority is winning the division, which has not been done yet. And as the above poster says, they may catch LA.

Either way, cheering for Oakland is based on fear and I don't think that's the way I want to feel if we have to face them in October.

But my fantasy is going to the series over the broken bodies of the AL East. Would love to see the Sox whip NY and Bos.

Stroker Ace
08-01-2005, 08:58 PM
Talk about a tough decision. I would have to say I want both teams to forfeit and hope that no winner is declared.

JB98
08-01-2005, 09:04 PM
Who the hell do we root for in this series?

on one hand, I'd like to see the As win to further reduce the magic number.

on the other hand, I'd much rather the Twins make the playoffs than the As.

it's so conflicting.

what's best case? split?

An A's win doesn't reduce our magic number. Cleveland will pass the Twins and take over second place.

MarySwiss
08-01-2005, 09:14 PM
An A's win doesn't reduce our magic number. Cleveland will pass the Twins and take over second place.

Actually, I believe an A's win tonight does reduce our magic number, since it hinges on the 2d place team's losses.

skobabe8
08-01-2005, 09:30 PM
A's.....for now. But its a tough call. They need to get cold.

JB98
08-01-2005, 09:38 PM
Actually, I believe an A's win tonight does reduce our magic number, since it hinges on the 2d place team's losses.

Yes, that's right. I didn't realize that Cleveland had one more loss than Minnesota entering today's play. I thought they were dead even, but in fact the Twins were ahead by percentage points until they lost to Oakland tonight.

Fenway
08-01-2005, 09:49 PM
dont worry about it guys

You are the only team in the AL that doesn't have to worry.

The east is very tight and whoever winds up second has to worry about making the WC.

I would trade places in a heartbeat.

Arkham
08-01-2005, 09:57 PM
Personally I say root for a giant sinkhole to open up underneath the dome, swallowing both teams whole.

soxwon
08-01-2005, 10:12 PM
Oh please people

root for minn, the twins are out of it, no threat to us whatsoever.
the A's on the other hand know they can beat us.
We've won this division-its over.

we must hope to God- the a's do not make it at all.

the wild card must be NY or boston.

the twins are dead in the water.
root for minnesota to sweep oakland, and the angels win the division.
this is a no brainer
minnesota.

balke
08-01-2005, 10:13 PM
Twins are done, no need to make a choice. With Torii out, and Santana not Supermanesque anymore.... they're out of it. Root for Oakland, hopefully beating them in the playoffs makes it that much sweeter a victory.

soxwon
08-01-2005, 10:14 PM
oh i see the a's won, forget the sweep then.

OAKLAND MUST BE STOPPED.

soxwon
08-01-2005, 10:17 PM
Twins are done, no need to make a choice. With Torii out, and Santana not Supermanesque anymore.... they're out of it. Root for Oakland, hopefully beating them in the playoffs makes it that much sweeter a victory.

if oakland doesnt make it.
there is no need to HOPE we beat them.

im really surprised- anyone would want to root for oakland.

balke
08-01-2005, 10:19 PM
if oakland doesnt make it.
there is no need to HOPE we beat them.

im really surprised- anyone would want to root for oakland.

I wouldn't root for them, I just don't care or see hope for anyone else. I don't relish the thought of seeing the Angels in the first round, do you?

soxwon
08-01-2005, 10:28 PM
I wouldn't root for them, I just don't care or see hope for anyone else. I don't relish the thought of seeing the Angels in the first round, do you?

we have beaten the angels so far no problem.
let the angels win the west
we will play the wild card team first
the yankees

the ONLY team i worry about is oakland.
the red sox, yankees and angels will all fall to us.

Tragg
08-01-2005, 10:29 PM
I don't know who to root for, but if the As are confident that they can beat us, I'll see that with an overconfident and raise that with "the As don't win in posteason under this regime."

The series in Oakland was a fluke -we completely outplayed them and got hosed by the umps and circumstances. In Chicago, we simply weren't playing well, the prior sweep against tampa nothwithstanding. That period was our slump for the season. We've also lost our last 2 games against the Royals and Tigers.

They're a tough match up because of the pitching. So are the Angels. The Bosox and Yankees hit the hell out of the ball. Anyone we play is gonna be tough. Overall, I guess I'd rather play NY or Boston, but I may regret that preference.

spiffie
08-01-2005, 10:46 PM
For the first time in my memory I was annoyed to see the Twins lost a game. Because it's been how many years now that the A's have beaten us, no matter who we run out against them or who they throw against us? It's gotten to the point that I would be afraid if the A's dressed up 24 blind children and Ronnie Woo-Woo against us.

And if you're going to invalidate the idea that the A's own us since "this is a different year", you kind of have to ignore the past playoff history of the A's as well, and just deal with the fact that right now their starting pitching is performing equally as well as ours.

I guess my only hope is that we end up playing the Yanks in the first round, Boston beats AL West champ Oakland, and we beat Boston in the ALCS.

rowand33
08-01-2005, 10:48 PM
am I the only one who thinks Oakland might not make the playoffs?

I don't think their pitching can keep it up beyond Harden and Zito.

I don't think that their hittng can either. they really don't have any power (11th in the AL in homers) and the only people in the lineup that really impress are Crosby and Chavez.

and I don't think Jay Payton has somehow become Babe Ruth.

I do like their bullpen though.

I think that they are to the midseason what the Os were to the start of the season. They're just hot right now.

Of course, people said we wouldn't last... so who knows

Lip Man 1
08-01-2005, 10:48 PM
This is a no-brainer, the A's to win and win the division. Do YOU want to face the A's in the first round? and have to play them in a short series to boot?????

I don't...I'll take my chances with the Angels, the Sox have at least won a few games there since 2001.

Lip

Tragg
08-01-2005, 11:39 PM
Why doesn't Selig do something useful for a change and get rid of this "Short series". It's absolutely ridiculous.

FarWestChicago
08-01-2005, 11:45 PM
Do YOU want to face the A's in the first round?Hell yeah. The A's ALWAYS lose in the first round for superstitious folks like you, Lip. And frankly, I'm ****ing sick of all the goddamned wussies around here who are terrified of the A's. You guys are an embarrassment. If we can't beat MLB's only all white team, we don't deserve to win anyway.

I should add, one can hope somebody will turn in a syringe of the new 'roid Giambi and his ex-team are now on. I'm sure things are tighter with the new lab since what happened at Balco, but somebody might crack. :smile:

balke
08-02-2005, 12:09 AM
Hell yeah. The A's ALWAYS lose in the first round for superstitious folks like you, Lip. And frankly, I'm ****ing sick of all the goddamned wussies around here who are terrified of the A's. You guys are an embarrassment. If we can't beat MLB's only all white team, we don't deserve to win anyway.

I should add, one can hope somebody will turn in a syringe of the new 'roid Giambi and his ex-team are now on. I'm sure things are tighter with the new lab since what happened at Balco, but somebody might crack. :smile:

I agree completely. The only team I don't want to face in the playoffs is the White Sox. (Payton isn't white though, and neither is Dotel.... but there is a lot of white going on there if that's what we're talking about). You fear Harden and Zito? I fear Garland and buehrle and Garcia. You fear Street and Deuscherer? I fear Hermanson and Politte. I also fear Pods, and Iguchi, good baseball. I don't fear the A's. I still think the Angels are more dangerous.

DrGiggles
08-02-2005, 12:12 AM
Have some balls people please!!! Who cares who we play, have trust that we'll beat whom ever we play. Yeah we've lost a lot to the A's but stop sweating about it now and let us just play.

FarWestChicago
08-02-2005, 12:13 AM
(Payton isn't white though, and neither is Dotel.... but there is a lot of white going on there if that's what we're talking about)If you see nothing going on there with Beane, be my guest. :cool:

balke
08-02-2005, 12:15 AM
If you see nothing going on there with Beane, be my guest. :cool:

No, I agree. Just pointing out there are a couple. There's a lot of redheads too... its kinda weird.

DrGiggles
08-02-2005, 12:15 AM
Plus a team can't stay hot thru July/August/September and thru the playoffs, give me a break.

Daver
08-02-2005, 12:18 AM
No, I agree. Just pointing out there are a couple. There's a lot of redheads too... its kinda weird.

It's the shoes.

:redneck

Jerome
08-02-2005, 01:30 AM
The A's of course!

Everybody has their favorite MLB team besides the Sox, mine is the A's. Besides, every time the Twins lose I can't help but be happy.

btw did anyone see Blanton outduel Johan Santana tonite? And he's the 4th starter. I am not looking forward to facing the A's in the playoffs, all of this jinx and curse nonsense aside.

downstairs
08-02-2005, 07:20 AM
Well, I guess I am the contrarian here.

I root against the A's. I don't want them anywhere near the playoffs. If they get there, fine, I think we'll win. But as a fan, I root against them primarily.

15.5 game lead over 3rd place MIN, folks!

Fredsox
08-02-2005, 08:05 AM
Folks, we're the Chicago White Sox, we own the best record and the best pitching staff in the league. We're pretty healthy, we're playing well, and we have our eyes on the prize.

I don't care about the A's and I REALLY don't care about the Twins, who are about as relevant as the cubs right now.

Whomever is in the playoffs has to come through us. I know we're not used to this but we are absolutely the team to beat. I don't see the A's or anyone else beating us four games in seven as things stand right now.

MsSoxVixen22
08-02-2005, 08:26 AM
I agree with alot of you....the Twins are DONE. They are not a threat to us. I believe the Sox can win against Oakland. The Sox know they're a better team and they're beyond capable to beat them. Ozzie just needs to stick with the regualr lineup and not put in outfielders that are prone to **** up. I don't think the Sox fear anybody. To be honest, I think the O's were alittle afraid of us, IMHO. I have faith in this 2005 White Sox team and I'm so happy I'm going to able to see them go to a world series in my lifetime! :bandance:

Lip Man 1
08-02-2005, 12:09 PM
West:

And I don't want to be the first team that Beane beats in the post season which is why I'll wait until the second round when it's a best of seven and the Sox have more room for error as opposed to a best of five series.

I've seen to many bizarre things (like Buehrle throwing a ball way) to want to play those SOB's in a best of five.

No thank you.

Lip

FarWestChicago
08-02-2005, 12:34 PM
West:

And I don't want to be the first team that Beane beats in the post season which is why I'll wait until the second round when it's a best of seven and the Sox have more room for error as opposed to a best of five series.

I've seen to many bizarre things (like Buehrle throwing a ball way) to want to play those SOB's in a best of five.

No thank you.

LipWe'll never see them in the second round. :D:

Ode and I were as close to the Buehrle play as you could be witihout being a player. You could see it happening before it did. It was very odd, but I think a fluke.

SOXSINCE'70
08-02-2005, 01:33 PM
The A's. The best thing that could happen for the Sox would be for the A's to win their division so we don't have to face them in the first round. I'm not saying we can't beat them, but I would just assume not draw them in the first round.

Agreed,GO A'S!!:gulp: :gulp:

CubKilla
08-02-2005, 01:37 PM
Oh please people

root for minn, the twins are out of it, no threat to us whatsoever.
the A's on the other hand know they can beat us.
We've won this division-its over.

we must hope to God- the a's do not make it at all.

the wild card must be NY or boston.

the twins are dead in the water.
root for minnesota to sweep oakland, and the angels win the division.
this is a no brainer
minnesota.

That's the way I see it. Monday night was definitely a bizarro night for me and a friend..... we were rooting for the Twins and against the Cards :o: .

Baseball's like that sometimes.

ode to veeck
08-02-2005, 02:00 PM
without reading a single post other than the title here, I nominate this thread for what's the score

who cares?