PDA

View Full Version : Sosa- Will he ever get caught like Palmeiro?

Foulke You
08-01-2005, 06:02 PM
I declare that Sammy Sosa just might be the smartest of all the roid users out there as he has played everything so perfectly recently so that he can escape criticism and punishment. He is showing us his mastery of media perception even now during his massive struggles with the O's. Consider this:

Sammy stood up before congress and played dumb during the steroid heat and talked as if he was immediately off the boat even going so far to bring a translator while fellow '98 slugger McGwire cried like a baby which all but sealed his fate in the court of public opinion. Palmeiro also vehemently denied using roids and is now looking like a fool as he has tested + for steroids. Sosa was too smart for this and just nodded and agreed with everything that Schilling and Palmeiro said. He offered no insight, admitted nothing, and said nothing and did his best Dominican Cabin Boy impression.

The very next baseball season (this year), Sosa goes off the steroids so there is no hope of him ever testing positive, therefore there is no evidence of drug use. One look at Sosa this year tells the story he is clearly off the roids now and his body and performance of late speak volumes to that. This "cold turkey" quitting of roids eliminates Sosa being in danger of getting caught under the new stricter testing. Sammy can then walk away from the game after this season or next year and blame his dwindling numbers on his age (36) and still retire with most of his slugger legacy intact and make it into the Hall of Fame with the only evidence of his steroid abuse being speculation and rumors despite the fact that it is obvious he did it to anyone with a half brain. It just might be the final master stroke of Sosa's career, being the "Teflon Don" as usual where nothing negative can stick to him. I hope I'm wrong but I honestly don't know if we'll see a Palmeiro type bust situation for Sosa even though I keep waiting for that day to happen.

FarWestChicago
08-01-2005, 06:08 PM
He's going to skate. The last time he went off the 'roids he corked to attempt to keep his numbers. He's got so much money now he doesn't care anymore.

:nandrolone

Americans are stupid!! I've played you like a cheap piano.

downstairs
08-01-2005, 06:11 PM
I declare that Sammy Sosa just might be the smartest of all the roid users out there as he has played everything so perfectly recently so that he can escape criticism and punishment. He is showing us his mastery of media perception even now during his massive struggles with the O's. Consider this:

He will not. I have to believe he is no longer using.

What I don't understand is that this is criminal activity. We spent all that time and tax money to "investigate" the MLB.

Why didn't they go after these guys from a law enforcement perspective?

Couldn't they find proof that they did this stuff? Witnesses, etc. must be plenty!

Ol' No. 2
08-01-2005, 06:19 PM
The only way is if someone rats him out. If someone can connect with one of his suppliers, I'm sure they'll turn on him for the price of a pair of shoes. But who's got the incentive to spend the time and effort to find one?

downstairs
08-01-2005, 06:20 PM
The only way is if someone rats him out. If someone can connect with one of his suppliers, I'm sure they'll turn on him for the price of a pair of shoes. But who's got the incentive to spend the time and effort to find one?

Cops. Then send the bill to MLB c/o Mr. Seilig.

tsamdog
08-01-2005, 06:22 PM
I can't get over how thin he looks....and I thought Pudge had dropped in mass. I would love to see some before and after photos on a few of baseball's finest.

slavko
08-01-2005, 07:09 PM
Those years when he made his biggest off-season increases in bulk, he would come to spring training with terrible acne, which would somewhat clear up as the season would go on. Acne can be a side effect of steroids. I conclude that he was doing the stuff in the Dominican during the winter, not in the US. I remember a slender, clear skinned Sammy from his Sox days.

MIgrenade
08-01-2005, 07:12 PM
No he will never be caught, and Palmeiro had to be retarded to get caught now. And why is Giambi suddenly good again? Hmmmm...

eastchicagosoxfan
08-01-2005, 07:32 PM
Sammy took advantage of a system that insisted on looking the other way on the issue of steriod use. He quit when some heat was on. That was the intention of the new testing rules. I doubt the public will ever know the true extent concerning who used steriods, and to what extent. The public does know, and will continue to know what the user's peers think of them. Sanburg, and the reaction of the Hall of Fame members present to his speech, assured us of that.

gobears1987
08-01-2005, 07:37 PM
He can't get busted by the tests. The reason is simple, he's off the roids. Look at his body and numbers.

TornLabrum
08-01-2005, 08:38 PM
Those years when he made his biggest off-season increases in bulk, he would come to spring training with terrible acne, which would somewhat clear up as the season would go on. Acne can be a side effect of steroids. I conclude that he was doing the stuff in the Dominican during the winter, not in the US. I remember a slender, clear skinned Sammy from his Sox days.

And if he took them orally or topically, he didn't inject them...and if they are not illegal in the D.R., he didn't inject himself with any illegal substance. So he didn't lie to Congress. Sammy is no dummy. Look how he apparently fooled all the Chicago media types for all those years.

Vernam
08-01-2005, 09:01 PM
Will Sosa ever get caught like Palmiero, you ask? What, banging a teammate's wife?

IMO, Palmiero would have been a solid player even without the 'roids, though probably not HoF-quality. Sosa, on the other hand, never would have made an All Star team without the juice. His inability to lay off of bad pitches is back on full display now that his chemical enhancements aren't there to cover up his poor batting eye. I was happy when the Sox traded that piece of cr*p, and I'm still glad today -- more than ever.

VC

ThatGuyOnTheL
08-01-2005, 09:31 PM
I remember a slender, clear skinned Sammy from his Sox days.

To quote the guy sitting behind me at a game last year, "I remember a skinny little [expletive] with a bad Jheri curl who couldn't clear the infield even if the wind was blowing out."

BTW, I think your theory is right on point.

HebrewHammer
08-01-2005, 09:36 PM
I think he'll retire before he gets caught.

Stroker Ace
08-01-2005, 09:56 PM
Look at all of the weight he lost. He quit shootin' the juice. Not to mention how he suddenly forgot to speak English when he was called before Congress.

MikeKreevich
08-01-2005, 10:50 PM
Yes, there is a chance that Sosa can still test positive. Some experts believe that metabolites from steriod use can remain in someone's system, especially if they were stacking (using more than one type of steriod at the same time). Palmiero's positive may be an example of this.

voodoochile
08-01-2005, 10:52 PM
If this metabolites thing is for real then yes, otherwise, I doubt it.

ShamME* is a pretty shrewd player. He knows how to protect his image and is guaranteed of the HOF and a place in baseball history if he just stays clean from now on out. That's all he's ever been interested in.

It makes his dumbbunny routine before Congress that much more laughable...

jdm2662
08-01-2005, 11:20 PM
If there is one thing Sosa is good at, is that making himself look good/protect his image. He didn't full us Sox fans on how full of himself and fraud he was for many years he played on the North Side. He looked down right awful in this series. He's also lost quite a bit of mass. He's done, but he doesn't care. He can just blame old age for eroded skills and walk away as a washed up, old player and not "officially" a juicer.
________
Colorado Dispensaries (http://dispensaries.org/)

PaleHoseGeorge
08-01-2005, 11:36 PM
Go back in the archives to March 17 and you can find plenty of posts here made by those fooled by Scammy's Chico Esquala act. There were plenty here laughing at him and calling him an idiot.

Scammy is no idiot. I said he was the smartest guy sitting at that table and today's events serve as further proof.

Unlike Palmiero, Scammy was too smart to issue a flat denial. He never used "illegal asteroids." He never uttered a single coherent sentence, knowing full well none of those congressmen would bother to ask him to clarify or elaborate on the mumbled nothings he uttered. He even brought an interpreter with him just in case anybody started sniffing around his answers a little too closely. As it turns out, he so completely fooled the committee he didn't even need her. And unlike that idiot Mark McGwire, Scammy never once pleaded "the fifth" against self-incrimination, either. Brilliant...

Watching Scammy in this series was like time travel for me, all the way back to 1991 when Skinny Scammy was swinging wild and walking back to the dugout over and over again.

Norberto7
08-01-2005, 11:39 PM
Basically the consensus here is, Sammy used steroids, got big, hit home runs, made his millions, felt the heat, got off the juice, then sucked. All of which I agree with. Doesn't Sammy's contract expire after this year? (I may be wrong.) Every GM around the league sees what's happening. Unless they somehow feel he'd be a box office draw, they're not going to pay him any money. (Plus, I would imagine any team who would sign Sosa as a draw probably doesn't have much money to begin with! Except the Mets, maybe :rolleyes:.)

So, my point is this. At the end of this year, or whenever his contract is up, is Sosa going to risk his reputation by going through potentially ugly contract negotiations with some or no teams? He's not getting any sort of lucrative deal.

So, if he's still as good at playing this game (and I refer to the media relations, not baseball) as he has been so far, I would say he'd have to be gone forever after this season. Take his money and run, as the song says.

CubKilla
08-02-2005, 01:58 AM
Palmeiro tested positive. ShamME is Palmeiro's teammate. Palmeiro says he never took roids.

I'll bet ShamME switched his test sample and put his name tag on Palmeiro's whizz jar and ShamME put his name tag on Palmeiro's sample.

Yup.

Foulke You
08-02-2005, 04:31 PM
Basically the consensus here is, Sammy used steroids, got big, hit home runs, made his millions, felt the heat, got off the juice, then sucked. All of which I agree with. Doesn't Sammy's contract expire after this year? (I may be wrong.) Every GM around the league sees what's happening. Unless they somehow feel he'd be a box office draw, they're not going to pay him any money. (Plus, I would imagine any team who would sign Sosa as a draw probably doesn't have much money to begin with! Except the Mets, maybe :rolleyes:.)

So, my point is this. At the end of this year, or whenever his contract is up, is Sosa going to risk his reputation by going through potentially ugly contract negotiations with some or no teams? He's not getting any sort of lucrative deal.

So, if he's still as good at playing this game (and I refer to the media relations, not baseball) as he has been so far, I would say he'd have to be gone forever after this season. Take his money and run, as the song says.
Sosa will not get a lucrative deal, but I can see a GM of a basement dwelling team taking a 1 year risk on him probably having more of an eye towards selling a few more tickets but hoping to catch lightning in a bottle. Sosa's name still carries some weight as I could see the D-Rays getting him because Tampa is where veteran players go to pasture or I could see the Rockies as well hoping that Sammy can revive himself in Coors Field.

In any case, let us hope that the metabolites theory holds water. It would be vindication for Sox fans to see Sosa leave the game in disgrace as he should. We have gotten a little vindication since many people now believe he was juicing, however, until he is caught red handed, his image will never be truly tarnished, corked bat and all.

mr_genius
08-02-2005, 04:44 PM
Scammy was too smart to issue a flat denial. He never used "illegal asteroids." He never uttered a single coherent sentenc

hahaha

SamMe is a total jackass, but a hilarious jackass

A_ROW33
08-02-2005, 06:05 PM
Oh he'll get caught, when he dies at age 50 because of the effects of the roids.

fquaye149
08-02-2005, 06:13 PM
hahaha

SamMe is a total jackass, but a hilarious jackass

The best was on Conan after the hearings they did the cutout mouth video thing with Sammy.

Conan asks him "But Sammy did you ever take steroids"

the cutout mouth face says, "No hablo ingles!"

So Conan asks him in perfect spanish if he ever used steroids....

The cutout mouth face Sammy pauses nervously....and says, "No hablo."

:D:

Rooney4Prez56
08-05-2005, 09:35 AM
They'll only catch him if his stats go up. He sucks right now, because he's off the juice. But if his stats go up, I would take a closer look.

Frankfan4life
08-07-2005, 09:55 PM
After spending the weekend in Providence, RI, I had a layover in Washington, DC before boarding a plane back to Chicago. To pass the time, I purchased the Washington Post, threw the rest of the paper away and read the sports section. There was a really interesting article in it by Mike Wise regarding professional athletes and their use of steroids.

In the past 10 years, four elite athletes approached Charles Yesalis about helping them hide their steroid use. They promised the Penn State professor of health and human development more money than any state university could pay him.This is not a cheating issue for them. This is a business issue. They're worried about their families' future just like all of us."
Mike Wise went on to say that the professor was surprised that Palmeiro got caught cheating with the type of support-system that is in place that allows these athletes to get away with taking performance-enhancing drugs.

Obviously, money can cover a multitude of sins.

If you're interested in reading the article, here's the linky. (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/08/06/AR2005080601275.html)

LongLiveFisk
08-07-2005, 10:19 PM
I used to think he would, now I have to say no. Especially since Palmeiro's bust and the talk of him very possibly not making the HOF due to steroids despite his achievements. Sosa is far too arrogant and self-promoting to risk that. He thinks he belongs in the HOF and if I'm not mistaken he said something like he would play until he hits 700 hr's.

Of course now that he's back to being a skinny little runt compared to '98 (or hell, even last year for that matter) it's probably going to take a little longer.