PDA

View Full Version : Toriiiii broke an ankle bone, did not tear tendon

cheeses_h_rice
08-01-2005, 03:03 PM
So, he may yet return this season (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2121938)...

soltrain21
08-01-2005, 03:06 PM
I really want to feel bad for the Twins but....nope..can't conjure it up.

Unregistered
08-01-2005, 03:08 PM
So, he may yet return this season (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2121938)...Awesome. Just in the nick of time to lead his team to 3rd place in the AL Central.

Foulke You
08-01-2005, 04:38 PM
I really want to feel bad for the Twins but....nope..can't conjure it up.
Nope, don't feel the slightest bit sorry for them either. We had our share of injuries in 2001 (Frank, the entire pitching staff) and 2004 (Thomas, Maggs, Schoeneweis) that likely cost us the division title and nobody felt sorry for us, especially the Twins. We were owning this division before they lost Torii anyway. It was high time that famous Twins luck to take a turn for the worse.

Ol' No. 2
08-01-2005, 04:55 PM
The Twins are done. Stick a fork in them. They're percentage points ahead of the Indians, and a loss tonight would put them in 3rd place. And with los Tigres playing better, their grip on 3rd is none too sure.

Not only won't they make the playoffs this year - you won't see them in the playoffs for at least the next five years. They've ridden this wave as far as it will take them. Time to suck for a while and stock up on draft picks.

fquaye149
08-01-2005, 04:58 PM
The Twins are done. Stick a fork in them. They're percentage points ahead of the Indians, and a loss tonight would put them in 3rd place. And with los Tigres playing better, their grip on 3rd is none too sure.

Not only won't they make the playoffs this year - you won't see them in the playoffs for at least the next five years. They've ridden this wave as far as it will take them. Time to suck for a while and stock up on draft picks.

haha famous last words?

Of course times have probably gotten so desperate for the Twins that they'll use this as bulletin board material.

"Did you hear what Ol'No. 2 said on the White Sox message boards?"

cleanwsox
08-01-2005, 04:58 PM

Two words: About Time

California Sox
08-01-2005, 05:00 PM
Hate to say it, but they already have a strong and deep farm system. They don't need the draft picks. I think you'll see a fairly competitve AL Central for a while. The Sox, Twins, and Indians are all pretty well run and Detroit has gotten its act together. But I agree, you might not be able to stick a fork in the Twins yet, but it's sure as hell out of the drawer.

Ol' No. 2
08-01-2005, 05:15 PM
Hate to say it, but they already have a strong and deep farm system. They don't need the draft picks. I think you'll see a fairly competitve AL Central for a while. The Sox, Twins, and Indians are all pretty well run and Detroit has gotten its act together. But I agree, you might not be able to stick a fork in the Twins yet, but it's sure as hell out of the drawer.The Twins started pretty well, but they were 13-13 in June and 12-16 in July. They don't have it. It will be all they can do to hold off the Indians and Tigers.

And I haven't followed the Twins farm system, but if they have such a strong one, why are they signing guys like Brett Boone? They may be stocked in positions where they already have good players.

SoxSpeed22
08-01-2005, 05:26 PM
The Twins started pretty well, but they were 13-13 in June and 12-16 in July. They don't have it. It will be all they can do to hold off the Indians and Tigers.

And I haven't followed the Twins farm system, but if they have such a strong one, why are they signing guys like Brett Boone? They may be stocked in positions where they already have good players.I think they're very strong with pitchers, but not with infielders. Especially shortstop and second base.

ma-gaga
08-01-2005, 05:28 PM
And I haven't followed the Twins farm system, but if they have such a strong one, why are they signing guys like Brett Boone? They may be stocked in positions where they already have good players.

Pitching. It's all about the pitching. They have something like 4 legitimate pitching prospects that are slotted to fill into the rotation in the next 3 years.

:cool:

chaerulez
08-01-2005, 05:43 PM
Even if he does come back, it's really not going to make a difference for the Twins.

Ol' No. 2
08-02-2005, 10:14 AM
Pitching. It's all about the pitching. They have something like 4 legitimate pitching prospects that are slotted to fill into the rotation in the next 3 years.

:cool:The Twins' pitching this year is still good enough for third best in the AL, as of today. Pitching is important, but it's not everything, and is clearly not their problem. Unless they can trade some of these pitching prospects for what ails them, I don't see how this helps. And 4 prospects, unless they're very close, aren't going to bring that much in trade - certainly not enough to plug all their holes. I still see a continued downward slide for them.

Nellie_Fox
08-03-2005, 01:43 AM
ESPN is reporting that Torii has a fracture and torn ligaments, and is through for the season.

Joosh
08-03-2005, 01:55 AM
ESPN is reporting that Torii has a fracture and torn ligaments, and is through for the season.

Yeah, that sucks. That just plain sucks.

Though Torii may be a ass, that's horrible. I hope he can get better ok.

MHOUSE
08-03-2005, 04:11 AM
I'd never wish serious injury on any athlete, but I'm glad to see the Twins getting a wave of tough luck. They've had the cards fall their way the last few years and they're finally running low on outs in the deck.

tstrike2000
08-03-2005, 09:16 AM
Even if Torii didn't injury his ankle, they still would only be contending for second place. The Sox were going to win this division by 8-10 games anyway with Hunter healthy. The Twins have faded, but I almost think it would be better to have them in the mix to contend with the Indians, Boston/Yankmees or Oakland/LAAAAA for the Wild Card.

ma-gaga
08-03-2005, 12:05 PM
The Twins' pitching this year is still good enough for third best in the AL, as of today. Pitching is important, but it's not everything, and is clearly not their problem. Unless they can trade some of these pitching prospects for what ails them, I don't see how this helps. And 4 prospects, unless they're very close, aren't going to bring that much in trade - certainly not enough to plug all their holes. I still see a continued downward slide for them.

Right now I'm not very optimistic. But I don't think "5 years" is appropriate either.

They need a big bopper in the middle of the lineup. They are stuggling as a team with homeruns. They've never been a dominant offensive team, but they've had 3 - 20+ homerun guys each of the last 3 years and the rest of the team hit enough to get by. This year they won't have this.

Mauer could develop into one. Morneau should develop into one. Cuddyer should develop into one. But it might take a year, and management has some weird fixation on defense that is absolutely destroying Cuddyer's development.

That, and the 'supporting cast' is weaker than in years past. I can't believe some of the management's decision making process over the last six months.

It's frustrating, but the pitching will be there, so that gives them a chance. I fully expect them to trot out 2 rookie pitchers next year, so the minor league pitching is close. Baker's already made a couple of starts and has looked good. Liriano is supposed to be a "stud". The others are either 1+ years away, or "4th or 5th pitcher" types, but they should be able to transition to J.Santana, C.Silva and 3 AA/AAA pitchers over the next 3 years without missing a beat.

They just need a bopper. :cool:

Ol' No. 2
08-03-2005, 12:30 PM
Right now I'm not very optimistic. But I don't think "5 years" is appropriate either.

They need a big bopper in the middle of the lineup. They are stuggling as a team with homeruns. They've never been a dominant offensive team, but they've had 3 - 20+ homerun guys each of the last 3 years and the rest of the team hit enough to get by. This year they won't have this.

Mauer could develop into one. Morneau should develop into one. Cuddyer should develop into one. But it might take a year, and management has some weird fixation on defense that is absolutely destroying Cuddyer's development.

That, and the 'supporting cast' is weaker than in years past. I can't believe some of the management's decision making process over the last six months.

It's frustrating, but the pitching will be there, so that gives them a chance. I fully expect them to trot out 2 rookie pitchers next year, so the minor league pitching is close. Baker's already made a couple of starts and has looked good. Liriano is supposed to be a "stud". The others are either 1+ years away, or "4th or 5th pitcher" types, but they should be able to transition to J.Santana, C.Silva and 3 AA/AAA pitchers over the next 3 years without missing a beat.

They just need a bopper. :cool:They missed their chance. Manny Ramirez was available.