View Full Version : *Official* Sweeping The Birds Post-Game Thread

Unregistered
08-01-2005, 03:50 PM
:winner

Undefeated in August!

NSSoxFan
Good game.

Great pitching from Mark. Sorry the ump had to be bigger than the game.

:bandance: :bandance:

ChiWhiteSox1337
I love 4 game sweeps. :D: 2 so far this year, and both were on the road!

:sweep

maurice
08-01-2005, 03:51 PM
:gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

:bandance: :bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

Chisox353014
1st time since '64 the Sox have had two 4-game road sweeps in one season. :bandance:

RavenswoodFan
They looked great today!:smile:

soltrain21
I am glad we got to partake in one of the worst weeks in Baltimore's history.

chisoxmike
THEY GONE!

:sweep :sweep :sweep :sweep

Nice way to come out of a series loss to the Royals, I was out of town over the weekend, I haven't seen a game since Monday :whiner:

FielderJones
Sox get the win, justice is served. Hermy sure made it interesting. Nice DP to finish it!

DaleJRFan
08-01-2005, 03:52 PM
Buehrle takes one for the team, gives up his streak to send a message to the opponents. Like Stuart Scott said lastnight "Magglio, you done messed with the wrong guy."

Ozuna makes up for his error with a key 2-RBI hit... Different guys contributing every day, key to a championship team. Awesome!

mccoydp
Sweet win!

The Orioles are stinking, big time; just think, a lot of people had them pegged to win the East!

:winner

tebman
Great win! Great sweep! :bandance:

I'm at work and don't have details -- what's the followup on MB's ejection? Are the Sox filing a complaint with MLB?

Madvora
I like having those two 4 game road sweeps on either end of those two crappy series vs Detroit and KC.

See you at Wednesday's game!

SOXPHILE
Yeah Buddy !!! :bandance: x 15.

Well, there's 1 of the 14 games they'll win during a 14-15 August per Mark Gonzales.

rowand33
fantastic.

70 wins will be here before you know it.

which sucks because according to ESPN in the preseason, we were only gonna win in the 70 win range anyways. looks like the gravy train is coming to a stop guys.

halfpricemonday
08-01-2005, 03:54 PM
Mark Buehrle is my hero.

Man, I love this team.

BeviBall!
08-01-2005, 03:55 PM
Even with Ozzie trying to reenact last week's KC game, the boys got it done. Let's come home and take 5 of 7!

1951Campbell
08-01-2005, 03:57 PM
What did MB do and what were the circumstances? I've been incommunicado for the last 4 hours.

Foulke You
08-01-2005, 03:58 PM
4 Game sweep! WOO HOO!

Screw that ump Roger Gorman! I guess White Sox pitchers are supposed to smile and just let other teams drill our players left and right. I can't believe he tossed him without even a warning. Hawk really let him have it on the air. I haven't heard him that upset since that ump in Cleveland was squeezing our pitchers a few years back.

What is the magic number down to now?

shoota
Good game.

Great pitching from Mark. Sorry the ump had to be bigger than the game.

:bandance: :bandance:

Disgusting. The first thing I thought of was the end of Buehrle's streak. Then I thought why was Buehrle so dumb that he couldn't wait one more inning.

Isn't the record 68 games? He was one out away from 50 today. I hope Farmer's right when he said Buehrle doesn't care about the streak.

FYI: Rooney and Farmer were pretty upset with Brian Gorman today, and Farmer said he's going to try to talk to both AJ and Buehrle in tomorrow's pregame show. That'll be a good listen.

EDIT: Brian Gorman was the home plate ump.

miker
Mark Buehrle is my hero. Man, I love this team.
Agreed. From that perfect first-inning run to knocking in the go-ahead after AJ gets drilled to Mark's ejection, this was perfect, team-centered, winning baseball...and it ROCKS!!!!

Tragg
08-01-2005, 03:59 PM
First 4 game sweep of the Orioles in 50 years.
FIFTEEN game lead.

And most importantly: we need only 4 wins to win the Joe Sheehan sweepstakes

SoXPriDe33
08-01-2005, 03:59 PM
Very sweet win for the Sox. Too bad the dumb Ump had to think he was baseball's god and eject Buehrle for defending his team. But a Win is a Win :)

:supernana:

Foulke You
08-01-2005, 04:00 PM
What did MB do and what were the circumstances? I've been incommunicado for the last 4 hours.
The O's drilled Iguchi in last night's game, then in today's game on a 3-0 count with 2 outs and a right hander coming up (Dye), Cabrera drilled A.J. in the arm with a fastball. It was blatantly intentional. Next inning, Buehrle retaliated by throwing a fastball at B.J. Surhoff and the ump Roger Gorman immediately threw him out of the game. No warning or anything. It was a joke.

Irishsox1
08-01-2005, 04:01 PM
Even with Ozzie trying to reenact last week's KC game, the boys got it done. Let's come home and take 5 of 7!

I'd love to start the regular starters 162 games a year, but you need to play your bench. Especially when the Sox have such a large lead of the Twins.

cheeses_h_rice
08-01-2005, 04:01 PM
Wire to wire, baby.

:gulp:

gf2020
08-01-2005, 04:02 PM
Cleveland. Check.
Baltimore. Check.

Which team will we bury with a second-half sweep next? Toronto?

Tragg
I'd love to start the regular starters 162 games a year, but you need to play your bench. Especially when the Sox have such a large lead of the Twins.

Ozzie's been playing the bench all year, to his credit.

Lip Man 1
Very nicely done.

Lip

dcb33
08-01-2005, 04:03 PM
Cleveland. Check.
Baltimore. Check.

Which team will we bury with a second-half sweep next? Toronto?

New York

Ol' No. 2
08-01-2005, 04:04 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_150430.jpghttp://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_425840.jpghttp://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_131700.jpghttp://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_150122.jpghttp://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_115812.jpg

No worry, Mark. This time WE got YOUR back.

Heffalump
08-01-2005, 04:05 PM
All I have to say is up yours umpires.....Up yours Orioles......Up yours ESPN.

Props to Mark Buehrle. He exemplifies the way the 2005 White Sox play baseball - AS A TEAM!!!

Thanks for Shingo-Time, Mr. Takatsu. Hopefully, you can get your stuff back with another team.

Go Sox !! Bring on Toronto!!

Sad
08-01-2005, 04:06 PM
Sox good
Orioles BAD
:party:
WOO HOO!!!
:sweep

LVSoxFan
So for those of us at work what did Hawk say when he went nuts? Some of us won't get the opportunity to watch the replay.

Steakpita
New York

that would be GREAT!

:gulp: This one's for Jermaine Dye. 7 game hit streak, something like 13 RBI's in the last WEEK! Go Spidey, Go!

1951Campbell
08-01-2005, 04:07 PM
The O's drilled Iguchi in last night's game, then in today's game on a 3-0 count with 2 outs and a right hander coming up (Dye), Cabrera drilled A.J. in the arm with a fastball. It was blatantly intentional. Next inning, Buehrle retaliated by throwing a fastball at B.J. Surhoff and the ump Roger Gorman immediately threw him out of the game. No warning or anything. It was a joke.

So, MB got tossed before any warnings were given to either team?

That's BS.

halfpricemonday
New York

No deep pink necessary. Unless your name is Mark Gonzales, is there a single starting pitcher on that team that scares you?

Foulke You
Disgusting. The first thing I thought of was the end of Buehrle's streak. Then I thought why was Buehrle so dumb that he couldn't wait one more inning.

Isn't the record 68 games? He was one out away from 50 today. I hope Farmer's right when he said Buehrle doesn't care about the streak.

FYI: Rooney and Farmer were pretty upset with Joe West today, and Farmer said he's going to try to talk to both AJ and Buehrle in tomorrow's pregame show. That'll be a good listen.
This is kind've nitpicky on Ozzie but I wanted him to give that umpire an ulcer out there amd argue a little more emotionally. Ozzie argued for a little bit and then just seemed to concede it. It seems like the Sox get the shaft from the umps a lot and just once, I'd like to see Ozzie pull a Pinella and really let those umps have it. Gorman certainly had it coming to him today. He screwed up big time.

Foulke You
08-01-2005, 04:09 PM
So, MB got tossed before any warnings were given to either team?

That's BS.
Correct. There were no warnings issued. "That's BS!" was exactly what the Hawk was screaming into the microphone today when it happened.:D:

fuzzy_patters
The Good: The Sox showed a lot of resiliency today in support of Buehrle. They came up with some nice clutch hits after the ejection. Buerhle, Vizcaino, Politte, and Hermanson all pitched well. Uribe made some really nice plays at shortstop, as well.

The Bad: The Sox made an error for the second day in a row. Rowand almost made an unbelievable catch, but instead he gave up a triple. Timo is partly to blame for not giving Rowand enough space to make the catch. Marte did not pitch well.

The Ugly: Brian Gorman did his best Hunter Wenndelstedt impression today. As Hawk said, "that is BS."

Overall, this was a really good game. We completed a four game sweep, which is very difficult to do. Even better, we did it despite adversity. All wins are good, but this one was particularly satisfying.

BeviBall!

I mean him using 5 bullpen guys when 2 was enough.

shoota
08-01-2005, 04:10 PM

DJ just pointed out on the Comcast Postgame show that Lopez called for an outside fastball to AJP, and Cabrera hits AJ in the arm. Intentional.

Vernam
08-01-2005, 04:11 PM
Gee, I bet Jon Miller, Steve Phillips and Steve Stone feel pretty silly now, after spending the entire Sunday game talking about the O's as if they're the big story. :angry:

VC

infohawk
08-01-2005, 04:12 PM
Where are all of the dark cloud people?:tongue:

shoota
08-01-2005, 04:13 PM
Where are all of the dark cloud people?:tongue:

Why talk clouds on a sunny day? :tongue:

UofCSoxFan
08-01-2005, 04:15 PM
As a collegiate baseball player that has been involved in a bench clearing incident I will say two things: 1) when you are hit on purpose you know it and 2) when you are hit by a pitch after your pitcher has hit 2 or 3 guys, you have no one to be pissed at except for YOUR OWN PITCHER. Pitching inside is part of the game...and "returning the favor" when your guys are hit is also part of the game (always below the waste, however...the point is not to badly hurt anyone).

That being said, I did not see the game or the pitch...but based of the the game situation (not to mention the fact that Ozzie has repeatedly told his pitchers not to retaliate)...I can tell you that Buerhle did not hit Surhoff on purpose.

Here's my reasoning...
usually when you retaliate in such a fashion you do so with either the first batter or with 2 outs and no one on (this being more common). Buerhle had this situation with Sosa up. WHY DIDN'T HE HIT HIM??? Instead he puts the tying run on second and the go ahead run on first?? Uh No.

So as much as people want to romanticize this with Buerhle putting teammates before the record, that didn't happen...What did happen was an ignorant umpire, who obviously hasn't played the game past grade school, made a bonehead call.

I would also argue that the reason Buerhle didn't retaliate was b/c he realized that him being in the game would be more beneifical to the team.

This is crap. Like Ozzie said yesterday...don't hit a guy because you can't get him out. Be a man, and go after him like a man. If he's better than you, get better or stop playing.

Foulke You
08-01-2005, 04:20 PM
So for those of us at work what did Hawk say when he went nuts? Some of us won't get the opportunity to watch the replay.
When Gorman tossed him, let me paraphrase what Hawk was screaming (I do mean screaming in the microphone:cool: :

:hawk
"WHAT? WHAT??? WHAT??!! You have got to be kidding me!! THAT IS A TERRIBLE CALL!! THAT IS ABSOLUTE BS!! Mark Buehrle doing exactly what he is supposed to do in that situation protecting his players and he gets tossed! That is just BS!! And Roger Gorman is a veteran umpire who has been around for a long time, he should know better!! How long has Gorman been around?!! (DJ responds quietly "about 12 years") 12 YEARS!! He should ABSOLUTELY know better than that!! (DJ points out that BJ Surhoff acted like a professional and that he knew it was just a retaliation pitch and he just went to take his base) Hawk then went further on his rant: "Surhoff is a professional, unlike certain umpires in this league! I tell you what, they should fine him for that. They don't need to make it public, just fine him and tell him you were wrong."

Foulke You
08-01-2005, 04:22 PM
That being said, I did not see the game or the pitch...but based of the the game situation (not to mention the fact that Ozzie has repeatedly told his pitchers not to retaliate)...I can tell you that Buerhle did not hit Surhoff on purpose.

You did not see the game, I can tell you that Buehrle hit him on purpose. It was a straight fastball at Surhoff's back with 2 outs in the inning. I've watched enough baseball to know a purpose pitch when I see it. Even when Buehrle got tossed, the cameras panned to the dugout and all of his teammates were there giving him a high five and a pat on the back before he went back to the tunnel.

shoota
08-01-2005, 04:23 PM
and "returning the favor" when your guys are hit is also part of the game (always below the waste, however...the point is not to badly hurt anyone).

I thought B.J. Surhoff was wearing a full diaper.

SoxSpeed22
08-01-2005, 04:23 PM
Outplayed 'em the whole way, :sweep
Swept 'em the whole way!:supernana:

Since my sig isn't changeable.
142 Dancin' Bananas used since Opening day

Lip Man 1
08-01-2005, 04:33 PM
Now let's start winning at home again.

Lip

maurice
08-01-2005, 04:35 PM

In addition, Rowand was hit in the wrist (unitntentionally) in last yesterday's game. So, to sum up, in the past 2 days:
- Baltimore hit 3 Sox batters (2 intentionally) and got 0 ejections
- Chicago hit 1 Oriole batter (arguably intentionally) and got 1 ejection

BeviBall!
08-01-2005, 04:36 PM
Now let's start winning at home again.

Lip

I heard that!

DaleJRFan
08-01-2005, 04:39 PM
Gee, I bet Jon Miller, Steve Phillips and Steve Stone feel pretty silly now, after spending the entire Sunday game talking about the O's as if they're the big story. :angry:

VC

I watched the game lastnight and I don't think they were partial to the Orioles, at all. In fact, they talked about how BAD the Orioles have been as of late and how GOOD the Sox are... I was very impressed with the crew on ESPN lastnight.

NWSox
08-01-2005, 04:40 PM
Buehrle's been the de facto captain of this team the whole season and he did it again today. It had to be done and the fact that he didn't wait until his streak was secure makes it even more of a message to his teammates. MB was the guy who promoted Pods as an all-star to the fans at USCF. MB was the guy going after Maddux before the Cubs series. MB knows when to joke around and when to be serious.

He's just a great guy to have as a leader for this team.

I know Ozzie likes to promote other people as MVP (I think he does it for their self-confidence) but there is no question who is the MVP.

wilburaga
08-01-2005, 04:44 PM
Buehrle's been the de facto captain of this team the whole season and he did it again today. It had to be done and the fact that he didn't wait until his streak was secure makes it even more of a message to his teammates. MB was the guy who promoted Pods as an all-star to the fans at USCF. MB was the guy going after Maddux before the Cubs series. MB knows when to joke around and when to be serious.

He's just a great guy to have as a leader for this team.

I know Ozzie likes to promote other people as MVP (I think he does it for their self-confidence) but there is no question who is the MVP.

Amen to that.

W

dcb33
08-01-2005, 04:52 PM
Today marks the first 4 game Sox road sweep of the Orioles franchise since August, 1954, during the Orioles inaugural season in Charm City.

Ol' No. 2
08-01-2005, 04:55 PM

VCI'll bet they feel even sillier after spending all that time gushing about Rafael Palmiero.

Madvora
08-01-2005, 04:56 PM
Anyone notice that we won today with Timo and Ozuna as our number 1 and 2 hitters!?

Geeze, this is a "team" alright!

Hokiesox
08-01-2005, 04:59 PM
From my seat behind first base, I couldn't understand the call to run Buehrle at all. Even the orioles' fans around me were sympathetic to my cause. I mean, why would he plunk somebody to put the tying run in scoring position? Just doesn't make sense. Nevermind that Gooch got drilled last night, and AJ today, no...one gets away from MB and he gets the heave-ho. I'm glad Ozzie didn't get tossed though, but I wouldn't have minded if he did. Just plain horrible call by the umpire.

Other than that, this was a great all-around game. I loved it.

Sad
08-01-2005, 05:32 PM
I watched the game lastnight and I don't think they were partial to the Orioles, at all. In fact, they talked about how BAD the Orioles have been as of late and how GOOD the Sox are... I was very impressed with the crew on ESPN lastnight.

I thought the same thing... sure didn't miss Joe Morgan either... previous comittment, yeah right- he was probably at home brooding over Sandberg...

Vernam
08-01-2005, 05:34 PM
I watched the game lastnight and I don't think they were partial to the Orioles, at all. In fact, they talked about how BAD the Orioles have been as of late and how GOOD the Sox are... I was very impressed with the crew on ESPN lastnight.By my calculation, they went a stretch of four innings from the 5th to 8th where they talked about the O's and their problems virtually the whole time. It's not that they were saying Baltimore is better than the Sox, just that they clearly considered the Orioles' implosion way more fascinating than the Sox' domination. I'll grant that they spoke favorably about the Sox, just not very often.

VC

LVSoxFan
08-01-2005, 05:41 PM
Yeah I didn't think they spent too much time over-inflating the Orioles and I think the comment about their implosion being more interesting than our continued dominance is right-on.

You have to admit, it's been a dramatic slide. They were crushing at the beginning of the year and I remember being relieved we took a split with them at the Cell. They made Boston and New York look bad, even.

And now this, plus the Palmeiro stuff (BAD timing) and their starters going down. The dugout interview with the manager was positively depressing.

I think sometimes also there's not a lot to talk about on the Sox because they're such a team, no one man really stands out. Or group of men. Everybody plays together. I mean, we've been in first forever, so there's no recent surge to talk about, no comeback... no dramatic change that put us there. We've been there.

I thought the ESPN coverage was okay. It was nice to have Stone in the booth.

Ol' No. 2
08-01-2005, 05:45 PM
Yeah I didn't think they spent too much time over-inflating the Orioles and I think the comment about their implosion being more interesting than our continued dominance is right-on.

You have to admit, it's been a dramatic slide. They were crushing at the beginning of the year and I remember being relieved we took a split with them at the Cell. They made Boston and New York look bad, even.

And now this, plus the Palmeiro stuff (BAD timing) and their starters going down. The dugout interview with the manager was positively depressing.

I think sometimes also there's not a lot to talk about on the Sox because they're such a team, no one man really stands out. Or group of men. Everybody plays together. I mean, we've been in first forever, so there's no recent surge to talk about, no comeback... no dramatic change that put us there. We've been there.

I thought the ESPN coverage was okay. It was nice to have Stone in the booth.Early in the year the O's were crushing the ball, but their pitching was suspect. If you recall, they were leading the AL in offense. Once the offense dropped off, so did the Orioles.

I find it amusing that early in the season, all the "experts" were saying about the Sox "Their offense isn't that good. What's going to happen when their pitching comes back to earth?" but no one was saying the converse about the Orioles. Guess which one actually happened?

MarySwiss
08-01-2005, 05:48 PM
Today, I had the Baltimore feed on MLB.com. I don't know who those two guys are--missed the intros--but I just loved it when one of them said, "Let's face it, this is the best TEAM in baseball." (And no, he wasn't talking about the O's.)

I do believe that's the first time I've heard that said out OUT LOUD ON TV. Whenever you hear one of the "national" sportscasters, it usually turns into "best RECORD in baseball." And even that is often followed by "of course, they haven't played anybody"...or some such drivel.

Nice to finally have someone--anyone!--acknowledge what we all know so well. But I sure wish I could have heard Hawk when Mark got tossed!

delben91
08-01-2005, 06:20 PM
What a great weekend of baseball. I wasn't at today's game, but I made it to the previous three. Great to see this team play as well as it did. My kudos to all the guys.

It was a good weekend to be a Sox fan. :cool:

Mr. White Sox
08-01-2005, 06:50 PM
No crow eating for me! I said the Sox would "definitely" sweep the O's right after Cabrera got hit. Yay!

Supernana:
Basically everyone except for Damaso Marte and Brian Gorman.

:supernana:
"Wipe the bias out of your eyes Gorman!"

DC Sox Fan
08-01-2005, 06:51 PM
Just got back a little while ago. Sweet times out in the LF stands by the fair pole. TONS of Sox fans there. By the time AJ hit his homer, we had a full blown "Let's go White Sox" chant going as the broken hearted Mulleted Baltimorons filed glumly from the stands.

Beautiful day, beautiful game. MB getting tossed- he hit BJ on purpose and we all know it- says a lot. Putting team before self. Reminded me of when Colon hit that batter a couple years ago when he was on the verge of a CG. Good to see.

To all my fellow Sox fans out there today who were representing us so well, this one's for you :gulp:

delben91
08-01-2005, 06:53 PM
Yeah Buddy !!! :bandance: x 15.

Well, there's 1 of the 14 games they'll win during a 14-15 August per Mark Gonzales.

Did Gonzales actually write a piece stating that? I did a search on "Mark Gonzales" and couldn't find a thread about it. Didn't know if that's what the teal was all about in this case (the existence of the article as opposed to the Sox only going 14-15 in August).

slobes
08-01-2005, 07:00 PM
Good job Sox, Baltimore is falling big time.

BigEdWalsh
08-01-2005, 07:04 PM
Just got back a little while ago. Sweet times out in the LF stands by the fair pole. TONS of Sox fans there. By the time AJ hit his homer, we had a full blown "Let's go White Sox" chant going as the broken hearted Mulleted Baltimorons filed glumly from the stands.

Beautiful day, beautiful game. MB getting tossed- he hit BJ on purpose and we all know it- says a lot. Putting team before self. Reminded me of when Colon hit that batter a couple years ago when he was on the verge of a CG. Good to see.

To all my fellow Sox fans out there today who were representing us so well, this one's for you :gulp:
My son and I were watching the game and we heard the "Let's Go White Sox" chant. We both looked at each other with puzzled and shocked looks on our faces, like we couldn't believe what were hearing. Nice job! :gulp:
Anyway, great game. It's very cool what Buehrle did, giving himself up for the team. Pretty cool too how most everyone's BA is on the rise. Especially nice to see AJ hitting the way he is.
:)

Vernam
08-01-2005, 07:43 PM
Did Gonzales actually write a piece stating that? I did a search on "Mark Gonzales" and couldn't find a thread about it. Didn't know if that's what the teal was all about in this case (the existence of the article as opposed to the Sox only going 14-15 in August).Pravda has a regular sidebar that charts the Sox' progress toward 100 wins -- basically, Gonzalez estimates how many wins per month it will take to reach that goal. He was on-record a while ago as predicting 14-15 in August, but I bet he'd like to revise that now, and not just 'cause we've started the month 1-0. :bandance:

VC

MarySwiss
08-01-2005, 08:04 PM
Did Gonzales actually write a piece stating that? I did a search on "Mark Gonzales" and couldn't find a thread about it. Didn't know if that's what the teal was all about in this case (the existence of the article as opposed to the Sox only going 14-15 in August).

I did the same search and also came up empty.

But apparently, I am losing my mind. I coulda sworn I saw a blurb online this morning in which he crowed about how "close" he's been so far in charting their course, only off by a game or so overall.

And yes, he did write a piece sometime ago charting their course toward (I believe) 100 wins, although it may have been 95. And--although again it could be just insanity on my part-- I recollect the 14-15 in August being mentioned.

Anybody confirm?

PAPChiSox729
08-01-2005, 08:10 PM
Good job Sox, Baltimore is falling big time.

They are done.

Erik The Red
08-01-2005, 08:17 PM
We've had the same "Soxogram" on the top of the page for the past several series. No better time for a new one than your first 4-game sweep in Baltimore in 51 years.

Jurr
08-01-2005, 08:23 PM
Funny fact to think about........

If the Sox hold up their lead to about 16 or 17 games, they'll probably clinch at the Metrodome in September. How great would that be? I know we'd love to see them clinch at home, but payback would be awesome.

Lip Man 1
08-01-2005, 08:45 PM
Jurr:

Remember they clinched there in 2000. Things didn't go so well after that did they? Let's try for somewhere else.

Lip

TornLabrum
08-01-2005, 08:49 PM
Jurr:

Remember they clinched there in 2000. Things didn't go so well after that did they? Let's try for somewhere else.

Lip

I was at that game. Manuel was resting several of his starters and they clinched while losing. I don't see Ozzie letting the same thing happen.

SAVVY18
08-01-2005, 09:04 PM
http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/sweep.gifhttp://www.soxtalk.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/sweep.gifhttp://www.soxtalk.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/sweep.gifhttp://www.soxtalk.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/sweep.gif

Bye Bye Birdie!!!!

voodoochile
08-01-2005, 10:20 PM
Too cool... I am running out of room...

:supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana:

OzzieBall
08-01-2005, 10:24 PM
I can't actually think of a better way for Mark's streak to end. He got shelled in KC and stayed in for the full six innings when, if not for the streak, may have been taken out. I think this is a perfect way; not only is the pressure gone, but he backed up his teammates. I don't care what Ozzie says, pitchers need to defend their hitters.

Great series, great way to answer some dark cloud people who were moaning and crying after KC. Thrilled to see the bats wake up as well.

PeteWard
08-01-2005, 10:35 PM
Twins lost. Only two hits. They are cooked. :cool:

No change in magic number as Cleveland is now in 2nd. I think (?)

soxjim
08-01-2005, 10:39 PM
Think your right magic number is 44. The Indians are now in second. Will the lead get to 20 games at any point?

The Racehorse
08-01-2005, 10:57 PM
I was at all four games against the O's.... making the Sox record with me in attendance 4-0. :cool:

If Brooks sees this, maybe he'll fly me to the road playoff games. :bandance:

Hokiesox
08-01-2005, 11:25 PM
Today, I had the Baltimore feed on MLB.com. I don't know who those two guys are--missed the intros--but I just loved it when one of them said, "Let's face it, this is the best TEAM in baseball." (And no, he wasn't talking about the O's.)

I do believe that's the first time I've heard that said out OUT LOUD ON TV. Whenever you hear one of the "national" sportscasters, it usually turns into "best RECORD in baseball." And even that is often followed by "of course, they haven't played anybody"...or some such drivel.

Nice to finally have someone--anyone!--acknowledge what we all know so well. But I sure wish I could have heard Hawk when Mark got tossed!

Jim Palmer and Buck Martinez. Tweedle-dee and tweedle-dum

DumpJerry
08-01-2005, 11:42 PM
Ok, I have not read the thread, so I don't know if this has been said already. Sometimes you feel bad when a team is hurtin' like the O's and feel slightly guilty when your team piles on the misery. Not here. Not now. Know why? All I have to say is:

Take that Tito Landrum and the rest of your 1983 Bird Team!!!!!!:D: :D: :D: :D:
Ok. I feel better. Much better.

DumpJerry
08-01-2005, 11:43 PM
Funny fact to think about........

If the Sox hold up their lead to about 16 or 17 games, they'll probably clinch at the Metrodome in September. How great would that be? I know we'd love to see them clinch at home, but payback would be awesome.
My friend, the Sox will clinch on September 8. In front of the Core of the Core. Our day at the park!

ChiSoxGirl
08-01-2005, 11:47 PM
My friend, the Sox will clinch on September 8. In front of the Core of the Core. Our day at the park!

Ya know, filling out my form and writing out the check for the Core of the Core Night this afternoon, I had the exact same thought! If that Magic Number keeps dwindling down at the pace it has been over the last 10 games or so, our prediction could be very accurate! Wouldn't it be beyond awesome if those "Core of the Core" all got to watch and be a part of a Clincher together?! We'd go :bandance:! :wink:

Baby Fisk
08-02-2005, 10:39 AM
So... does this mean we rule again? :bandance: