PDA

View Full Version : Sox Discussion on WBEZ

robiwho
08-01-2005, 11:30 AM
It's just starting on WBEZ 91.5. I'll post the link later for anyone who can't tune in.

robiwho
08-02-2005, 11:34 AM
Here's the link for the discussion of the Black Sox with Eliot Asinof and
Richard Lindberg. You'll have to scroll by the Cubs Nation crap -- believe me, you don't want to listen to that without a receptacle nearby for when you toss your cookies.

http://www.chicagopublicradio.org/audio_library/848_raaug05.asp#01

Steakpita
08-02-2005, 11:39 AM
Worth reading/listening to? Can a brotha get a short review? :)

TornLabrum
08-02-2005, 11:40 AM
Here's the link for the discussion of the Black Sox with Eliot Asinof and
Richard Lindberg. You'll have to scroll by the Cubs Nation crap -- believe me, you don't want to listen to that without a receptacle nearby for when you toss your cookies.

http://www.chicagopublicradio.org/audio_library/848_raaug05.asp#01

"Sea of empty seats at U.S. Cellular Field"? When the **** was this taped?

robiwho
08-02-2005, 11:51 AM
"Sea of empty seats at U.S. Cellular Field"? When the **** was this taped?

I had the same reaction to the introduction. The discussion is worth listening to, because it features writers who actually know the Sox. I got irritated by some of the discussion -- like the observation that 1919 was when the Sox lost their dominance in town.

TornLabrum
08-02-2005, 12:01 PM
I had the same reaction to the introduction. The discussion is worth listening to, because it features writers who actually know the Sox. I got irritated by some of the discussion -- like the observation that 1919 was when the Sox lost their dominance in town.

Yeah, and Rich should know better. He was around when the Sox dominated the Cubs in attendance, media coverage, etc. That lasted through about 1965 or '66

TDog
08-02-2005, 12:20 PM
Yeah, and Rich should know better. He was around when the Sox dominated the Cubs in attendance, media coverage, etc. That lasted through about 1965 or '66

Leo Durocher came to the Cubs in 1966. That seems to be the turning point. I left the Chicago area in 1964, and when I returned in 1967, Chicago was definitely a Cubs town. In Munster, it was hard to find any Sox fans anymore.

TornLabrum
08-02-2005, 12:26 PM
The one thing I hate about stories like this one are that they never get enough time. If you're going to talk about something like the Black Sox scandal, you need at least an hour of air time to get any kind of detail. I do think that Rich and Asinof did a nice job considering the brief amount of time they had (under 12 minutes).