PDA

View Full Version : September into the offseason - personnel..

Tragg
08-01-2005, 10:12 AM
If we can keep our double-digit lead, as I expect us to, this is what I see for September:

McCarthy takes over 5th starter duties, while Contreras moves to the pen in preparation for the playoffs. Conteras may take a start or 2, to ensure El D is well rested.
Brian Anderson plays CF a couple of times per week. Maybe Sweeney gets some PT too.
Rowand getting some work in right
Dye getting some work at 1st

And if things go well, in the offseason, Rowand, Contreras (taking back a couple of mill in salary which we can afford) are tradeable players, plus there is plenty of salary room for some signings and raises. 1B, DH, middle infield, LH pinch hitter, OF depth, bullpen help are all in the mix for improvement.

Change is necessary to keep the team fresh and to fend off the improving tigers and tribe. (Twins sink to Royals levels).

ChicagoHoosier
08-01-2005, 10:18 AM
I hate looking ahead to the offseason because I'm enjoying this season so much. Having said that, the most curious position is 1B and a) how much Paulie is going to ask for/get on the open market and b) who we bring in to replace him. Our pitching staff is solid next year. Haven't thought as much about the DH. Maybe when we renegotiate a contract with Frank and his ankle is better next year, DH is not an issue either.

MERPER
08-01-2005, 10:34 AM
I have been informed by a very, very good and legit source that I work with in the Chicago media that JR has given KW the OK to spend an extra $10-20 mill in payroll if necessary in the offseason... I am assuming that means resigning Konerko and adding a starter and possibly a legit closer

ChiSoxPatF
08-01-2005, 10:40 AM
I have been informed by a very, very good and legit source that I work with in the Chicago media that JR has given KW the OK to spend an extra $10-20 mill in payroll if necessary in the offseason... I am assuming that means resigning Konerko and adding a starter and possibly a legit closer

That would probably mean we're in the Wagner-Burnett derbies come the offseason. Paulie is making $8.75 right now and probably won't get a significant pay increase ($10 seems fair doesnt it?). I'd love to add another power arm to the staff and maybe some strength to the bullpen.

Lets just enjoy this season though. We may not have another run like this in our lifetimes. Live in the present.

Madvora
08-01-2005, 11:35 AM
If we can keep our double-digit lead, as I expect us to, this is what I see for September:

McCarthy takes over 5th starter duties, while Contreras moves to the pen in preparation for the playoffs. Conteras may take a start or 2, to ensure El D is well rested.
Brian Anderson plays CF a couple of times per week. Maybe Sweeney gets some PT too.
Rowand getting some work in right
Dye getting some work at 1st

And if things go well, in the offseason, Rowand, Contreras (taking back a couple of mill in salary which we can afford) are tradeable players, plus there is plenty of salary room for some signings and raises. 1B, DH, middle infield, LH pinch hitter, OF depth, bullpen help are all in the mix for improvement.

Change is necessary to keep the team fresh and to fend off the improving tigers and tribe. (Twins sink to Royals levels).
I think a six man rotation my be a possibility, but I don't think Anderson would be out there twice a week. Maybe the call ups will get a lot more playing time earlier in the month, but I think Ozzie will have the regulars in there for the last couple of weeks to keep them sharp. Fisk mentioned this on the radio last week and it does make sense.

Bucky F. Dent
08-01-2005, 11:39 AM

Business being business, I'm willing to bet that that extra cash is dependent on a nice long playoff run.

Maximo
08-01-2005, 11:45 AM
I'm sure the Adkins call up is designed to help rest some of the arms in the bull pen. Some guy to use in a mop up role should the situation call for it.

Willie Harris and Gload will probably be back with the Sox after September 1.

Barring any other waiver acquisition, one of them will remain with the team for the playoffs.......probably Harris because of his speed. Adkins will return to the minors and Contrearas will be moved to the bullpen as the Sox go with a four-man rotation for the playoffs.

nug0hs
08-01-2005, 12:13 PM
Lets just enjoy this season though. We may not have another run like this in our lifetimes. Live in the present.

You said it brother!!!!

rmusacch
08-01-2005, 12:28 PM
I'm sure the Adkins call up is designed to help rest some of the arms in the bull pen. Some guy to use in a mop up role should the situation call for it.

Willie Harris and Gload will probably be back with the Sox after September 1.

Barring any other waiver acquisition, one of them will remain with the team for the playoffs.......probably Harris because of his speed. Adkins will return to the minors and Contrearas will be moved to the bullpen as the Sox go with a four-man rotation for the playoffs.

If they are not up with the Sox by midnight on August 31st, I don't think that they are eligible for the playoff roster. I think they do have some leeway with DL spots and such but as of now, the only player on the DL is Big Frank.

Maximo
08-01-2005, 12:44 PM
If they are not up with the Sox by midnight on August 31st, I don't think that they are eligible for the playoff roster. I think they do have some leeway with DL spots and such but as of now, the only player on the DL is Big Frank.

Right.....I used September 1 as an arbitrary date. I'm presumimg the Sox will recall both of them in time to make them eligible for the playoff roster.....should one or both of them be needed when the playoffs begin.

fquaye149
08-01-2005, 12:45 PM
I am assuming that means resigning Konerko

:bundy:

on another note: how is Hermanson not a legit closer?

socko82
08-01-2005, 12:57 PM

Don't be so sure it means they're going to resign Konerko. Remember Garland is arbitration eligible and in line for a HUGE raise.

wdelaney72
08-01-2005, 01:20 PM
Konerko will not be on this team next season. It's time to start warming up to the idea now. That money can be more wisely spent elsewhere.

Ol' No. 2
08-01-2005, 02:13 PM
I really don't see Ozzie making big changes in September. His MO has always been to try and win every game. The last thing you want to do is send a message to turn it down a notch - they might not be able to turn it back up when you want them to. Also, he's said he's not going to take away starts from Buehrle and Garland if it means compromising their chances for a Cy Young. I expect minimal changes. McCarthy will take some starts from Hernandez to rest him for the playoffs. Some of the callups will get in a game a week, or maybe late inning subs. They've spent all season fine-tuning to get this machine hitting on all cylinders. Don't change anything.

Flight #24
08-01-2005, 02:31 PM
That would probably mean we're in the Wagner-Burnett derbies come the offseason. Paulie is making $8.75 right now and probably won't get a significant pay increase ($10 seems fair doesnt it?). I'd love to add another power arm to the staff and maybe some strength to the bullpen.

Here's some things to think about:
1) Total raises to guys under contract are apporox $10MM
2) You need to give new contracts to Garland & AJ. Say Jon gets $7M/yr on a 3-yr deal and AJ gets $5M. Net increase of $6.5MM
3) There'll be some small money saved by replacing Shingo with Jenks (already done), Timo with Anderson. Net decrease of $3MM
4) You'll save some money on Frank, either $4.5MM if they buy him out and say goodbye, or possibly something like $2MM if they resign him to a cheap, incentive-laden deal.

That means that if you keep Carl & Paulie at their current pay levels, you already have an increase of $11MM. That will leave room for 1 major FA. My preference would be Wagner.

Or you say goodbye to both Paulie & Carl, and claim Manny when he's put on waivers again (Manny DHs, Dye plays 1B, Anderson starts in the OF).

anewman35
08-01-2005, 03:11 PM

If they wanted to, they could call up some hurt minor leaguers and then put them on the DL. It's sort of cheating, but teams have done it before.

TaylorStSox
08-01-2005, 04:13 PM
Here's some things to think about:
1) Total raises to guys under contract are apporox $10MM
2) You need to give new contracts to Garland & AJ. Say Jon gets $7M/yr on a 3-yr deal and AJ gets $5M. Net increase of $6.5MM
3) There'll be some small money saved by replacing Shingo with Jenks (already done), Timo with Anderson. Net decrease of $3MM
4) You'll save some money on Frank, either $4.5MM if they buy him out and say goodbye, or possibly something like $2MM if they resign him to a cheap, incentive-laden deal.

That means that if you keep Carl & Paulie at their current pay levels, you already have an increase of $11MM. That will leave room for 1 major FA. My preference would be Wagner.

Or you say goodbye to both Paulie & Carl, and claim Manny when he's put on waivers again (Manny DHs, Dye plays 1B, Anderson starts in the OF).

You don't bring up a guy from AAA to not play everyday. Paulie is probably gone. I'd probably try to move Rowand to open up a spot for Anderson. That, or Dye moves to 1st. Rowand moves to right. Anderson starts in CF.

Hopefully, they'll just give a deal to Garland instead of letting him go to arbitration. If AJ and Garland go to arbitration, I expect 3.0MM to AJ and 5.0MM to garland.

maurice
08-01-2005, 04:28 PM
Paulie is making $8.75 right now and probably won't get a significant pay increase ($10 seems fair doesnt it?).

Only if Detroit or some other foolish team is paying it. Let him walk, take the picks, and spend the money on pitching.

Daver
08-01-2005, 04:30 PM
Only if Detroit or some other foolish team is paying it. Let him walk, take the picks, and spend the money on pitching.

I would be willing to bet Paul would accept arbitration, knowing he ain't gonna make 8 mil anywhere else.

maurice
08-01-2005, 04:47 PM
I would be willing to bet Paul would accept arbitration, knowing he ain't gonna make 8 mil anywhere else.

Interesting. I still think he'll be unable to find an insane suitor, given last offseason (Detroit, Arizona, Seattle, etc.) Plus, Joe Torre loves him, and the Yankees have been paying big bucks to dogs for awhile now.

Tragg
08-03-2005, 09:19 PM
Interesting. I still think he'll be unable to find an insane suitor, given last offseason (Detroit, Arizona, Seattle, etc.) Plus, Joe Torre loves him, and the Yankees have been paying big bucks to dogs for awhile now.

If that were true, shouldn't we have been able to trade him last offseason, at his $8 million "bargain" price?

I don't see why we'd want to resign him. Every team needs change, if only to freshen things up. We need to replace his production, but we should be able to do that.

I note that tonight, no smart ball from him; runner on 3rd, stays on third.

Flight #24
08-03-2005, 11:03 PM
If that were true, shouldn't we have been able to trade him last offseason, at his $8 million "bargain" price?

Big difference in giving up something of value (which KW would have assuredly wanted) and paying $8M and simply shelling out the $$$. It's a relatively weak FA class, I'd bet Paulie gets his $$$. I just don't think the Sox should be the ones to give it to him unless he's coming off a WS MVP!

Daver
08-03-2005, 11:10 PM
Big difference in giving up something of value (which KW would have assuredly wanted) and paying $8M and simply shelling out the $$$. It's a relatively weak FA class, I'd bet Paulie gets his $$$. I just don't think the Sox should be the ones to give it to him unless he's coming off a WS MVP!

Check the salary trends since the CBA was signed in 2002, if you don't put up great numbers, your market value is not good. Offering Konerko arbitration may very well bite the Sox in the ass.