PDA

View Full Version : Rogers criticises KW, sounds stupid

Mr. White Sox
08-01-2005, 12:46 AM
Right after many WSIers realize why it would have been stupid to make a trade with Tampa Bay, Phil Rogers decides that KW deserves a "C" grade at the deadline for trading away Meaux, who is the 18th "Top 30" prospect ranked by BA to be traded since 2002, and because "he had the minor-league inventory to pull off a blockbuster with Tampa Bay (Baez and Aubrey Huff) or Cleveland (Kevin Millwood and Bob Wickman) but couldn't get those deals on the tracks, perhaps because he chased vapors in Burnett and Schmidt."

Well, Phil, the AL Central is not the NL Central, where teams freely trade within their divisions like cousins dating one another. If you'd have noticed, Phil, Millwood and Wickman didn't go anywhere, and I'm sure teams were after them if they were available. And, Phil, Tampa Bay wanted basically the entire "minor-league inventory" for Baez and Huff...hence the reason why they weren't traded to anybody. *Sigh...well, at least he gave Hendry a "D" on the deadline.
Link of Shame (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-050731rogersinside,1,2488404.column?coll=cs-home-utility)

Soxzilla
08-01-2005, 12:53 AM
Rogers is a moron. You know that if Hendry had gotten Soriano he would have given him a B or an A rating. But to tell you the truth, Lawton is a much better pick up for what the Cubs need.

I don't think KW needs to have a sports writer telling him whether or not he did a good job. What a waste of internet space.

fquaye149
08-01-2005, 12:58 AM
ok - this is off topic but watching Tribune Live, does it seem like Phil's Tribune picture must have been taken at least 15 or 20 years ago...

Banix12
08-01-2005, 03:35 AM
ok - this is off topic but watching Tribune Live, does it seem like Phil's Tribune picture must have been taken at least 15 or 20 years ago...

There was a lot of makeup and hair work done for that photo. it defintiely was done professionally.

Optipessimism
08-01-2005, 04:17 AM
I don't think this is a negative article at all. Just because he criticizes the organization for not making any trades doesn't make him sound stupid IMO. He has his opinions, and as far as I know KW hasn't released any statements letting the fans know what Tampa Bay & Co. were really asking for. Radio talk and this and that is nothing more than speculation. So, maybe he did turn a good deal down. Maybe he didn't. Who knows? All he brought up were our needs that we didn't fill.

BeviBall!
08-01-2005, 07:42 AM
Radio talk and this and that is nothing more than speculation.

The same speculation he and every other beat writer filled our brains with this past month... and they were all wrong. But you're right, his job is to state opinion and he did that.

chaerulez
08-01-2005, 07:57 AM
I don't think this is a negative article at all. Just because he criticizes the organization for not making any trades doesn't make him sound stupid IMO. He has his opinions, and as far as I know KW hasn't released any statements letting the fans know what Tampa Bay & Co. were really asking for. Radio talk and this and that is nothing more than speculation. So, maybe he did turn a good deal down. Maybe he didn't. Who knows? All he brought up were our needs that we didn't fill.

Yeah I don't think it's really that negative either, he does go out to point out the positive aspects of the move:

"Nothing against Blum. He's a massive upgrade over Willie Harris, who was demoted to make room for him. He provides insurance against Joe Crede's back problems and also will back up Tadahito Iguchi and Paul Konerko. He can play some outfield too. But it would have been great to see Williams add another arm or two for October."

TornLabrum
08-01-2005, 08:05 AM
Yeah I don't think it's really that negative either, he does go out to point out the positive aspects of the move:

"Nothing against Blum. He's a massive upgrade over Willie Harris, who was demoted to make room for him. He provides insurance against Joe Crede's back problems and also will back up Tadahito Iguchi and Paul Konerko. He can play some outfield too. But it would have been great to see Williams add another arm or two for October."

He did add an arm for October: John Adkins!

Ol' No. 2
08-01-2005, 09:09 AM
Rogers is a moron. You know that if Hendry had gotten Soriano he would have given him a B or an A rating. But to tell you the truth, Lawton is a much better pick up for what the Cubs need.

I don't think KW needs to have a sports writer telling him whether or not he did a good job. What a waste of internet space.Lawton does nothing but help them hold onto 3rd place. Big deal. I think it's more a move to convince the doofus fans that they still have a chance.

Tragg
08-01-2005, 09:16 AM
Cleveland (Kevin Millwood and Bob Wickman)

What exactly would those 2 have done for us? Millwood is useless for us; Wickman is an interesting pitcher, likely a mere rent, but not a dominator. And the Tribe wasn't going to trade with us.

He chased those vapors because he considered Burnett and Schmidt to be impact pitchers. Wickman and Millwood are not and aren't much better than what we have.

What does he mean by Meaux being a "top 30 prospect"; top 30 in the Sox organization or in all of baseball?