PDA

View Full Version : Whitesox News On The Trade

Whitesox4ever
07-31-2005, 11:46 PM
BALTIMORE -- The White Sox didn't land a power pitcher but did add infield insurance and retained the prized jewels of their farm system as Sunday's non-waiver trade deadline passed.

They bought some infield and hitting versatility by acquiring switch-hitter Geoff Blum from San Diego in exchange for Double-A left-hander Ryan Meaux.

http://adserver.trb.com/event.ng/Type=count&ClientType=1&AdID=173926&FlightID=489642&TargetID=1140&Segments=777,830,1090,1093,2168,2423,2776,3024,303 9,3627,4709,5310,5887,50613,50640,50974,52225,5249 7,52641,53327&Targets=12354,53369,1140,55488,2811&Values=31,43,51,60,72,80,93,101,110,150,287,292,30 2,328,363,394,583,591,593,836,1016,1165,1260,1654, 1656,1737,1754,1787,1836,1839,1872,1887,1888,1977, 1987,2161,2284,2353,2377,2384,2748,2759,2794,2795, 2848,2945,2972,2975&RawValues=USERAGENTID%2CMozilla/4.0%2520(compatible%253B%2520MSIE%25206.0%253B%252 0Windows%2520NT%25205.1%253B%2520SV1%253B%2520.NET %2520CLR%25201.1.4322)%2CTID%2C11q4d6a11e8t3k&random=byeysan,bboIkbvKhmpw
Blum, 32, who can play all four infield positions, is expected to make his Sox debut Monday at third or second base.

General manager Ken Williams said the Sox were close to landing "something inpactful" that was killed by an opposing team's ownership group, but he appeared content after getting insurance for third baseman Joe Crede's aching lower back.

The Sox heavily scouted Florida's A.J. Burnett, but negotiations fell apart and San Francisco never made it clear that Jason Schmidt was available.

The Sox briefly flirted with Philadelphia about closer Billy Wagner, but the Phillies, still in the National League playoff hunt, quickly pulled him off the market.

Mod edit: Please don't post entire articles. Post select quotes and then a link to the article.

mr_genius
07-31-2005, 11:52 PM
"We weren't willing to give up Mark Buehrle, Freddy Garcia, Jon Garland, A.J. Pierzynski, Bobby Jenks, Brandon McCarthy, Brian Anderson or Aaron Rowand," Williams said.

ahhh! he tried to trade Garland!!

elrod
07-31-2005, 11:53 PM
Why is Ryan Meaux pronounced "Moe". If he's from the central Kentucky branch of the Meaux family then it should be pronounced "Mukes". I'm completely serious, too. There were a ton of people named "Meaux" living around Danville, KY in the 19th century and they've since gone and populated the rest of the country with more Meaux. Back then it was pronounced "Mukes".

FanofBill
08-01-2005, 12:00 AM
Why is Ryan Meaux pronounced "Moe". If he's from the central Kentucky branch of the Meaux family then it should be pronounced "Mukes". I'm completely serious, too. There were a ton of people named "Meaux" living around Danville, KY in the 19th century and they've since gone and populated the rest of the country with more Meaux. Back then it was pronounced "Mukes".

That's because whenever you see "eaux" in the France language, it always pronounce "oe".

SluggersAway
08-01-2005, 12:00 AM
I am open to the idea that they should have traded Bobby Jenks, Brandon McCarthy, and/or Brian Anderson (maybe not Jenks since he has been brought up already) for anyone performing in the majors at this time.

It is now or never for the White Sox and always will be.

elrod
08-01-2005, 12:06 AM
That's because whenever you see "eaux" in the France language, it always pronounce "oe".

I know how the French language is pronounced. However, many French-origin names in America are not pronounced the way they are in France or Quebec. For example, Des Plaines? Versailles, Kentucky? Even Des Moines (should be de mwaannn, not de moin). From what I recall, the Kentucky Meaux family were Huguenots who came to Virginia in the 18th century and then moved to central KY in the early 19th century. Cajun names are usually pronounced as they are in French, but they are the exception. Perhaps Meaux is Cajun, then.

TornLabrum
08-01-2005, 12:11 AM
Ryan is from Colorado. Maybe he doesn't belong to the Kentucky branch of the Meaux family.

balke
08-01-2005, 12:13 AM
I am open to the idea that they should have traded Bobby Jenks, Brandon McCarthy, and/or Brian Anderson (maybe not Jenks since he has been brought up already) for anyone performing in the majors at this time.

You don't even know what you'd get in return for that. From some of the reports I've heard, that wouldn't even be enough to get us Wagner. It was a tough market, and we're lucky we didn't do a stupid trade that lost us a bunch of talent. Jenks is on the team now, and really he is someone that you'd like to have on the team. 100 M.P.H., and so far he's shown some control. Mccarthy and Anderson wasn't even bringing us a bag of balls. No ML team wants to admit they suck right now, even if they do.

I think its all for the best, as we are good enough now to win, and when pitchers get too old, or want to leave I think B-Mac will be there to fill in as an upgrade and a full-time major leaguer. Perhaps as soon as next year.

batmanZoSo
08-01-2005, 01:03 AM
I know how the French language is pronounced. However, many French-origin names in America are not pronounced the way they are in France or Quebec. For example, Des Plaines? Versailles, Kentucky? Even Des Moines (should be de mwaannn, not de moin). From what I recall, the Kentucky Meaux family were Huguenots who came to Virginia in the 18th century and then moved to central KY in the early 19th century. Cajun names are usually pronounced as they are in French, but they are the exception. Perhaps Meaux is Cajun, then.

Yeah, I hate the way Americans half-pronounce foreign words like that. Lay Miserab is an example. Either say it like an American or say it like the French would. Des Moines always puzzled me, too. It's funny you brought this up because on the broadcast tonight, Jon Miller pronounced Meaux as Myoo. I'd never heard his name spoken--I've only read it in articles--and pronounced it Mo in my head.

Anyhoo, with Gload and Blum we have a pretty solid bench. And Bobby Jenks has been great. To me, with these developments we're not in as much of a need for trades as we were a month ago. So oh well. There was nothing KW could do.

Evman5
08-01-2005, 01:08 AM
General manager Ken Williams said the Sox were close to landing "something inpactful" that was killed by an opposing team's ownership group, but he appeared content after getting insurance for third baseman Joe Crede's aching lower back.

Who do you think he was referring to?

Jjav829
08-01-2005, 01:10 AM

I wonder what this was. I guess we'll never know, but it's fun to speculate. :smile:

Could it have been the Aubrey Huff thing?

elrod
08-01-2005, 01:28 AM
Ryan is from Colorado. Maybe he doesn't belong to the Kentucky branch of the Meaux family.

Well that doesn't clear anything up. Could have moved out from KY (think Breckenridge, misspelled from the original Breckinridge, settled by Kentuckians). Or, he could have been a Cajun moved up from Louisiana. Or could have been a Quebecois who moved out there, after settling in New England, perhaps. Either way, there aren't a whole of folks in this country named Meaux.

BTW, Meaux is a city in France that has contributed to vital items to our diet: Brie cheese and a distinct kind of mustard. The city is on the Marne (think WWI)not far from Paris in northern France. It also has a 13th century cathedral and was the site of a terrible massacre in 1358 (though not as bad as the Battle of the Marne in World War One). Maybe Ryan's ancestors came from the ancient city that bears his name. Maybe somebody in San Diego will find that out.

Evman5
08-01-2005, 01:29 AM
My best guess is Billy Wagner. Maybe ownership didn't want to let the fans start thinking that they were out of the race. If we had Wagner in our bullpen that would have been pretty sick. That would be a championship caliber bullpen right there.

elrod
08-01-2005, 01:32 AM
There is a Meaux, Louisiana too. Maybe he really is Cajun.

OEO Magglio
08-01-2005, 03:49 AM
I wonder what this was. I guess we'll never know, but it's fun to speculate. :smile:

Could it have been the Aubrey Huff thing?
I think it was Griffey:o: I'm not joking either.

Optipessimism
08-01-2005, 04:49 AM
Who do you think he was referring to?

I'll take a wild stab in the wind:

Aubrey Huff, or something involving Vinny Castilla + Livan Hernandez

Personally, I could also see him making a play at Glaus and catching everyone off guard.

Oh well, I guess Blum is it.

TornLabrum
08-01-2005, 07:36 AM
Well that doesn't clear anything up. Could have moved out from KY (think Breckenridge, misspelled from the original Breckinridge, settled by Kentuckians). Or, he could have been a Cajun moved up from Louisiana. Or could have been a Quebecois who moved out there, after settling in New England, perhaps. Either way, there aren't a whole of folks in this country named Meaux.

BTW, Meaux is a city in France that has contributed to vital items to our diet: Brie cheese and a distinct kind of mustard. The city is on the Marne (think WWI)not far from Paris in northern France. It also has a 13th century cathedral and was the site of a terrible massacre in 1358 (though not as bad as the Battle of the Marne in World War One). Maybe Ryan's ancestors came from the ancient city that bears his name. Maybe somebody in San Diego will find that out.

"Maybe he doesn't belong to that branch of the family" doesn't explain why he might not pronounce it the same way????????

BeviBall!
08-01-2005, 07:47 AM
My best guess is Billy Wagner. Maybe ownership didn't want to let the fans start thinking that they were out of the race. If we had Wagner in our bullpen that would have been pretty sick. That would be a championship caliber bullpen right there.

That's my guess too. But from the reports of what they were asking, it's probably best.

nlentz88
08-01-2005, 10:24 AM
Yeah, I hate the way Americans half-pronounce foreign words like that.

Indeed. Don't even get me started on the pronounciation of Favre.

balke
08-01-2005, 10:27 AM
I'll take a wild stab in the wind:

Aubrey Huff, or something involving Vinny Castilla + Livan Hernandez

Personally, I could also see him making a play at Glaus and catching everyone off guard.

Oh well, I guess Blum is it.

The D-backs are leading the West right now. I think we would have Tracy or Glaus if they weren't.

Flight #24
08-01-2005, 10:37 AM
The D-backs are leading the West right now. I think we would have Tracy or Glaus if they weren't.

Actually, the guy I thought would have been a perfect fit is Tony Clark. They'rs platooning him in AZ, but he's been hitting great this year, provides good D at 1B, and can hit lefty. Sort of a cross between Gload & Everett, but he's hit better than both this year. And IIRC he's an FA after the season and doesn't make much $$$.

If nothing else, a possible target in the offseason if we're looking for a cheap repalcement 1B.

balke
08-01-2005, 10:53 AM
Actually, the guy I thought would have been a perfect fit is Tony Clark. They'rs platooning him in AZ, but he's been hitting great this year, provides good D at 1B, and can hit lefty. Sort of a cross between Gload & Everett, but he's hit better than both this year. And IIRC he's an FA after the season and doesn't make much $$$.

If nothing else, a possible target in the offseason if we're looking for a cheap repalcement 1B.

Yeah, Tony Clark was the Man for Detroit I remember. He's just one of those players that didn't thrive in New York. I wouldn't have minded him DHing for us. I don't know about playing 1B full-time though. I don't even wanna think about the offseason yet. I just wanna make sure this team stays healthy and effective all the way through the postseason.

fquaye149
08-01-2005, 11:07 AM
ahhh! he tried to trade Garland!!

was erstad available again?:cool:

fquaye149
08-01-2005, 11:08 AM

for instance, Green Bay quarterback brett FARRRRRV

the gooch
08-01-2005, 12:08 PM
how does this work?