PDA

View Full Version : Oh John Kruk.... /rolleyes

balke
07-31-2005, 10:53 PM
"The biggest losers are any AL team that aren't the Yankees or Red Sox. They are very beatable this season, and they weren't beatable in seasons past. No AL team made a bigtime move to improve themselves. Now, this is their big chance and they didn't make the move, and both these teams (Red Sox and Yankees) are still better than you".

:chunks:

"Corey Patterson will hit 40/40 this season".
"Randy Johnson WILL WIN 30 games this year!"
"The Yankees and Red Sox are still the best teams in baseball".
"Derek Jeter is THE cornerstone player of any franchise".
"I need to stop eating so much bacon". :tongue:

How does this guy have a job again? Oh yeah, he slobbers all over the East Coast bias. Its at least mildly amusing.

DumpJerry
07-31-2005, 10:54 PM
I heard that, too. Made no sense to me.

soxfan123
07-31-2005, 10:55 PM
I saw that too and knew it would be a thread. it is like a taylor made discussion for this site. Although, it was a little ridiculous considering the pitching situation that the Yankees have and how they aren't in a playoff spot right now!

cheeses_h_rice
07-31-2005, 10:57 PM
Kruk, stick to what you're good at: shoving pile after pile of deep-fried Twinkies down your immense, gaping piehole.

balke
Yeah, I know he gets a new thread like every BBTN, but this was a new quotable to me. I still love the Randy Johnson 30 wins one. What he said about the Yanks or Bosox still being the best made me laugh, Angels and Sox all the way. Both those teams have the Blue Jays breathing down their necks, yikes.

Optipessimism
"The biggest losers are any AL team that aren't the Yankees or Red Sox. They are very beatable this season, and they weren't beatable in seasons past. No AL team made a bigtime move to improve themselves. Now, this is their big chance and they didn't make the move, and both these teams (Red Sox and Yankees) are still better than you".

:chunks:

"Corey Patterson will hit 40/40 this season".
"Randy Johnson WILL WIN 30 games this year!"
"The Yankees and Red Sox are still the best teams in baseball".
"Derek Jeter is THE cornerstone player of any franchise".
"I need to stop eating so much bacon". :tongue:

How does this guy have a job again? Oh yeah, he slobbers all over the East Coast bias. Its at least mildly amusing.

He was referring to teams trying to win the AL East and/or the Wildcard. The Sox don't count. In that respect, I agree with him. The Yanks and Red Sox are very beatable this year. It seems the team they were down on most for not doing anything was Minny, because with a couple nice moves they could have been in a position to jump ahead in the WildCard race. Now, it looks like Minny-Cleveland-A's-Yanks are going to be in a slugfest for it.

SoxSpeed22
07-31-2005, 10:58 PM
Probably just what he was paid to say.

Rooney4Prez56
07-31-2005, 11:02 PM
What do you expect...if you work for ESPN, you have to love any team on the east coast....because god forbid any team have any talent besides New York and Boston....besides, oh yeah, KERRY WOOD!

Optipessimism
07-31-2005, 11:07 PM
Did anyone else here actually watch that? Or are you just taking someone's word for it?

He was talking about the teams who are competing against the Yanks and BlowSox for a playoff spot. The Sox aren't.

For once I will say this was not a case of an East Coast bias.

balke
07-31-2005, 11:14 PM
Did anyone else here actually watch that? Or are you just taking someone's word for it?

He was talking about the teams who are competing against the Yanks and BlowSox for a playoff spot. The Sox aren't.

For once I will say this was not a case of an East Coast bias.

I watched it. He said ALL AL TEAMS. He didn't say all AL East teams, or all Wildcard contenders. And he said this is the first time the BoSox and Yankees are beatable in the AL. He meant they are still better than EVERYONE else. There were no exceptions. He thinks since the Bosox and yanks are down, this is the only chance for someone else in the AL to step up, and noone is doing it. That's why they were showing clips of the Angels during his little speech.

Optipessimism
07-31-2005, 11:46 PM
I watched it. He said ALL AL TEAMS. He didn't say all AL East teams, or all Wildcard contenders. And he said this is the first time the BoSox and Yankees are beatable in the AL. He meant they are still better than EVERYONE else. There were no exceptions. He thinks since the Bosox and yanks are down, this is the only chance for someone else in the AL to step up, and noone is doing it. That's why they were showing clips of the Angels during his little speech.

All day the guys from ESPN were calling the Sox winners because they made a small move to marginally improve while no one else made major improvements. I'd find it hard to believe he meant ALL AL teams, including the Sox, Angels, and even the A's, are weaker than Boston and New York. The New York and Boston pitching staffs are like giant trailer parks with big tornado magnets on them. There is no way they get past a real baseball team like the Sox or Angels, and I refuse to believe that anyone who calls themself a professional sportswriter would not realize that...

....errr....it is ESPN though....

Yeah, you're probably right, he probably did mean everyone pales in comparison to the Yanks. My bad.

**** you Kruk.

jake27
07-31-2005, 11:50 PM
john kruk really needs to go. just because he is an ex ballplayer doesnt mean he will be good talking about the game. his predictions are outragous and i dont think he offers and real insight into the game that someone with his job should.

Chips
07-31-2005, 11:53 PM
john kruk really needs to go. just because he is an ex ballplayer doesnt mean he will be good talking about the game. his predictions are outragous and i dont think he offers and real insight into the game that someone with his job should.

Hey, ex-ballplayers are great analysts. What about Jeff Brantley?

Foulke You
07-31-2005, 11:57 PM
Kruk, stick to what you're good at: shoving pile after pile of deep-fried Twinkies down your immense, gaping piehole.
:) :roflmao: :roflmao:
Post of the week material right here

Mr. White Sox
08-01-2005, 01:02 AM
Best part about that show wasn't Krukker, but Harold Reynolds, who said "One big winner at the trade deadline was Boston, because they didn't trade Manny Ramirez." :o:! They were trying to! So, they are winners for failing to do what they sought out to do. Uhhh, ok? Thank god he at least said Tampa Bay was the big loser, because that actually makes sense.

This is the same HR that said the Angels are the best team in the AL right now. *cough White Sox A's cough*

To me, the big winners were the Oakland A's. Now, I'm not one to usually kiss Beane's ass, but making his trades a month beforehand gave him a non-skewed price for Witasik, Payton, and Joe Kennedy, while trading away a guy (Byrnes) who's career batting average would be 20 points lower if he didn't play the White Sox.

batmanZoSo
08-01-2005, 01:13 AM
I usually don't comment on these ESPN threads, but this is just too funny. What the hell is he talking about "still better than you?" Neither of those teams scare me at all. The biggest hurdles we have in my opinion are Anaheim and ourselves.

chaerulez
08-01-2005, 07:59 AM
That really makes no sense at all. If they are very beatable and they are with terrible pitching, why would teams need to improve to beat them??? Go run a few laps around the block idiot.

Cowhead418
08-01-2005, 11:05 AM
All day the guys from ESPN were calling the Sox winners because they made a small move to marginally improve while no one else made major improvements. I'd find it hard to believe he meant ALL AL teams, including the Sox, Angels, and even the A's, are weaker than Boston and New York. The New York and Boston pitching staffs are like giant trailer parks with big tornado magnets on them. There is no way they get past a real baseball team like the Sox or Angels, and I refuse to believe that anyone who calls themself a professional sportswriter would not realize that...

....errr....it is ESPN though....

Yeah, you're probably right, he probably did mean everyone pales in comparison to the Yanks. My bad.

**** you Kruk.
I watched it too and he did mean the all of the AL. The line underneath said "Rest of AL besides Yankees and Red Sox." They're still better than all of us huh Kruk? Maybe in MVP baseball they are.:rolleyes:

dickallen15
08-01-2005, 11:18 AM
I think Kruk made perfect sense this time, and I think he also meant the White Sox. These teams aren't as good as they have been in the past. This is the year where teams have the chance to get by them, not only for a playoff spot but in the playoffs as well. In most years, it hasn't been realistic to think you could get by these teams to get to a WS. This year it is. Its the year to take your best shot. I think his logic was right on, the problem is, its takes at least 2 teams to make a deal, and the sellers were more than unreasonable.

fquaye149
08-01-2005, 11:36 AM
I think Kruk made perfect sense this time, and I think he also meant the White Sox. These teams aren't as good as they have been in the past. This is the year where teams have the chance to get by them, not only for a playoff spot but in the playoffs as well. In most years, it hasn't been realistic to think you could get by these teams to get to a WS. This year it is. Its the year to take your best shot. I think his logic was right on, the problem is, its takes at least 2 teams to make a deal, and the sellers were more than unreasonable.

The problem with his statement is:

We're not chasing these teams. We didn't need to make a deal to be better than them. We needed to make a deal to improve...but we're not chasing anyone (except Oakland perhaps)

Steakpita
08-01-2005, 11:48 AM
Saw this too and threw a shoe at the television (the other one had gone during the Sox game when the announcers decided to talk about the trade deadline during the top of every inning and make a HUGE FREAKIN DEAL out of every Orioles hit, even after they were down 7.)

Why is the rest of the AL automatically worse than the Yankees and Red Sox? I don't see us going after every crappy available pitcher in the damned league! The Yankees aren't even going to make the playoffs, for christ sake!

argh. enough. Fire Kruk.

DrGiggles
08-01-2005, 11:51 AM
This is quite odd, because as of lately, he's been talking very highly about the White Sox and Ozzie Guillen.

silenceofthehawk
08-01-2005, 12:25 PM
Probably just what he was paid to say.
I agree.

Domeshot17
08-01-2005, 02:21 PM
well, first i want to say Rowand JUST MISSED the catch of the decade.

anywho... Kruk was speaking of all AL teams, and I believe this because during his speech there was a pictures of the jays os and angels, who are not competing with them.

Anyone else going to be a big Baltimore fan after this series because if they win the east and someone else takes the WC Espn may just shut down, and show sports center re runs.

ChiSoxPatF
08-01-2005, 03:13 PM
Saw this too and threw a shoe at the television
argh. enough. Fire Kruk.

Funny, because I literally threw my sandal at the TV. This was one of the most absurd things I've heard out of baseball tonight and I've heard some pretty g**d**n rediculous stuff out of these idiots.

How, in anyway, are Boston and the Yankees the teams to beat?! They both have glaring holes in their pitching and defense and are struggling to stay afloat. There is a VERY good chance that one or both don't even MAKE the playoffs!!!

I swear these guys make a prediction at the beginning of the year and think they are such genius that even reality cannot prove them wrong. WATCH THE GAMES!! The Yankees and Red Sox are on ESPN six times a week anyway! It should be obvious, even with your miniscule mental faculties, that these two teams are not the best in the AL.:angry:

SpringfldFan
08-01-2005, 06:08 PM
This is quite odd, because as of lately, he's been talking very highly about the White Sox and Ozzie Guillen.

You're kidding! He has? This latest commentary is a direct, and I mean direct, slap at Chicago. I say that because you cannot refer to the rest of the league and not see the White Sox success staring right at you. I mean, they are friggin ten games ahead of anyone else in the league! I just don't understand what is in Kruk's head. In his short stint playing for Chicago, did one of his locker room buddies snap him too hard with a towel in just the wrong place or something? What gives?

SFF

SOXSINCE'70
08-01-2005, 07:33 PM

What do you expect from a drillrod that recorded his 1000th hit
in Baltimore as a member of the Sox in '95, removed himself from the
game and retired from MLB after said game??:angry:

flo-B-flo
08-01-2005, 08:26 PM
Kruk talks like Randy unit really did hit him in the head.:smile:

Vernam
08-01-2005, 08:34 PM
Saw this too and threw a shoe at the television (the other one had gone during the Sox game when the announcers decided to talk about the trade deadline during the top of every inning and make a HUGE FREAKIN DEAL out of every Orioles hit, even after they were down 7.)THANK YOU! I can't believe people have been maintaining in other WSI threads that the Sunday announcers did a good, balanced job.

On BBTN today, Kruk said about Palmeiro: "You just hope something good comes out of this . . . I don't know what's going to come out of it, but this is going to be a wakeup call to every other player in baseball right now. You have to step up and take accountability for yourself. Call your doctor, ask your trainer, call everyone you know. Find out if it's a legal substance or an illegal substance. But find out before you start taking it."

IOW, he believes Raffy's ludicrous statement that he never, ever "knowingly" took steroids. :rolleyes:

On the same broadcast, after they showed Buehrle getting high-fived in the dugout after his ejection, Kruk said: "That's a little sketchy." :angry:

VC

tstrike2000
08-03-2005, 08:15 AM

I think that's been the case for most of the BBTN guys, which is why that show has sucked for a while now.

SoxEd
08-03-2005, 06:20 PM
I'm lucky enough never to have knowingly seen Kruk, but from your descriptions I guess ESPN keep him on for the same reason Howard Stern used to be on air - although many people hate him, everyone who hates him keeps on tuning in to see what awful piece of bs he'll pull out of his rear end next.

Just an ill-informed guess mind you, based on no actual knowledge or research...

Hey, maybe ESPN are hiring?
:redneck