PDA

View Full Version : DJ's gotta go!

Rooney4Prez56
07-31-2005, 10:50 PM
I was watchin the Sox game the other day and I got to thinkin. I think DJ's gotta get off the tube. I may be young...but I know what good baseball talk is, and DJ isn't it. I'm sick of this guy who obviously couldn't make it as a psychic. Example- In the 1st game vs. Boston, after the Crede error, DJ says, " I hope that doesn't come back to hurt the Sox." Next pitch, the ball sails over the fence for a Boston winner. He's made predictions like this all year long, and Im sick of him jinxin the team...not to mention that he doesn't seem to know anything about anything. He's gotta go. When I heard that the Sox were gonna be broadcasting on the Score, I saw it as a great opputunity for some change. Get Rooney and Stoney on TV, and get Hawk and Ed on the radio, because all they do is tell stories. Who's with me? Lemme hear ya Sox fans!

rowand33
07-31-2005, 10:52 PM
I was watchin the Sox game the other day and I got to thinkin. I think DJ's gotta get off the tube. I may be young...but I know what good baseball talk is, and DJ isn't it. I'm sick of this guy who obviously couldn't make it as a psychic. Example- In the 1st game vs. Boston, after the Crede error, DJ says, " I hope that doesn't come back to hurt the Sox." Next pitch, the ball sails over the fence for a Boston winner. He's made predictions like this all year long, and Im sick of him jinxin the team...not to mention that he doesn't seem to know anything about anything. He's gotta go. When I heard that the Sox were gonna be broadcasting on the Score, I saw it as a great opputunity for some change. Get Rooney and Stoney on TV, and get Hawk and Ed on the radio, because all they do is tell stories. Who's with me? Lemme hear ya Sox fans!

Hawk and Ed on the radio and rooney and stone on tv...

never gonna happen...

Rooney4Prez56
07-31-2005, 10:53 PM
Why not? Don't you want your best broadcasters on TV?

rowand33
07-31-2005, 10:54 PM

how old are you?

cleanwsox
07-31-2005, 10:54 PM
Hawk on the radio???? umm........

:threadblows:

DickAllen72
07-31-2005, 10:56 PM
:threadsucks

skobabe8
07-31-2005, 10:57 PM

Rough start, kid.

MIgrenade
07-31-2005, 11:14 PM

Because Hawk and Ed tell stories they should be on the radio? Sounds like Pat and Ron to me.
Hawk can't be on the radio because he doesn't talk enough, and what makes you believe Stone would work for the Sox?
While it would be a great TV call, the radio call would suck. No Thanks.

mmmmmbeeer
07-31-2005, 11:16 PM
DJ seems extremely knowledgable about the game. Apparently you haven't been listening close enough.

The Dude
07-31-2005, 11:16 PM

Isnt it past your bedtime??:?:

Oh, and yeah this never will happen.

pczarapa
07-31-2005, 11:18 PM
:threadsucks

I second that

MrRoboto83
07-31-2005, 11:18 PM

NO! I listen to the Sox more on the radio than I watch TV. It takes better broadcaster to do radio games, they have to paint the picture of the game in words.

Chips
07-31-2005, 11:58 PM

We are not Flubs fans, we do not believe in jinxes of any kind. DJ and Hawk make a fine team. If you don't like it, turn on the radio.

SOXfnNlansing
08-01-2005, 12:26 AM
:?: **** house

chaerulez
08-01-2005, 12:30 AM

There is no such thing as a "jinx". Stop crying.

Rocklive99
08-01-2005, 12:31 AM
DJ seems extremely knowledgable about the game. Apparently you haven't been listening close enough.

That doesn't make you a good broadcaster. Harold Baines is a bench coach and he'd probably make a horrible commentator. Whether it's because of Hawk or not, he sounds bad, but it's even worse when he's left alone for PBP. There are times when Hawk is in a good mood and they seem to gel better, but that has been rare in these past years (though has happened more often this year).

mr_genius
08-01-2005, 12:36 AM
there is NO WAY that dj is the best available announcer out there

he is terrible!

kittle545feet
08-01-2005, 12:39 AM
Hey kid, nice try with the thread. While I happen to disagree with you, I welcome your opinion. Unfortunately, there are people on here who think they know everything and crap all over someone else's opinion when it has been covered in another thread. Personally, we need to revive some old threads and ideas around here. And when the thread Nazis tell you that your threads and ideas suck, consider the source. Just pick your battles wisely kid or get a helmet because it will really get you sometimes. Welcome to the board and go Sox!:welcome:

Lorenzo Barcelo
08-01-2005, 12:46 AM
I read in friday's tribune that rooney and farmer were ranked 2nd in baseball for best radio broadcasting team. I doubt any changes will be made to anything IMO. Santo and Hughes were 26th FYI.

Region Sox
08-01-2005, 12:52 AM
There needs to be a disclaimer that if you mention anything negative at all it is trouble. If you get mad at Joe Crede for hitting .240, mad at Ozzie letting Freddy go too deep into games, mad at Vizcaino, Shingo, are critical of Hawk and or DJ, suggest a trade, etc. it will get you flamed on this board. It needs to be rosy to be a thread starter. Think the "barney" song next time. I have never seen a group of fans hate other fans as much as this board. Sometimes we do live up to the shirtless coach beater stereotype. I belong to boards for the Blackhawks, Purdue, and the Bears and none are quite like this. But just view it for fun purposes and it won't get you down.

I agree with you- I don't like the TV broadcast so I just put the radio on to go with the video feed. I also believe in jinxes. It is no thte same thing as a curse, but I too was flamed for it. Some friends (fellow Sox fans) keep a running list of the DJ jinx and we have fun with it. We are up to 12 this year but I can see the thumbs down and meaness coming.

I support your outside the box thinking. Don't be discouraged.

TornLabrum
08-01-2005, 12:57 AM
So, guys, if it's so bad around here, and you feel that diverse opinions can't be discussed, why the **** do you continue to post here? Who is pointing a gun at your head and telling you that you have to stay?

Region Sox
08-01-2005, 01:01 AM
So, guys, if it's so bad around here, and you feel that diverse opinions can't be discussed, why the **** do you continue to post here? Who is pointing a gun at your head and telling you that you have to stay?

That is the problem... Opinions are not diverse. Anything that is not conforming is ridiculed. I come here because I am a White Sox fan who likes talking Sox with other Sox fans when I have free time. Living in a Cubs society I need this. It is often fun and good, but sometimes people are ridiculed for no reason. So I will visit and post until I can find a better alternative.

mr_genius
08-01-2005, 01:01 AM
Who is pointing a gun at your head and telling you that you have to stay?

the same guy that stole my car and expensive TV.

why mr criminal, why?!? why must i post!?

TornLabrum
08-01-2005, 01:07 AM
That is the problem... Opinions are not diverse. Anything that is not conforming is ridiculed. I come here because I am a White Sox fan who likes talking Sox with other Sox fans when I have free time. Living in a Cubs society I need this. It is often fun and good, but sometimes people are ridiculed for no reason. So I will visit and post until I can find a better alternative.

After reading several multiple tomato threads between the "FOGIDPK" and the "Konerko Haters," I'd have to disagree with you. Discussions don't get much more heated than those. Perhaps the way in which one states an opinion is almost as important as the opinion itself.

kittle545feet
08-01-2005, 01:16 AM
So, guys, if it's so bad around here, and you feel that diverse opinions can't be discussed, why the **** do you continue to post here? Who is pointing a gun at your head and telling you that you have to stay?It's a free ****ing country, that's why! Did we touch a nerve or something? Lighten up. We are all Sox fans man. There is nothing wrong with starting a thread or crapping on one. I just told him to expect it because its the same old people who do it. This is one of the dumbest arguments I've seen on here. Again, we are all Sox fans with opinions and if you can't handle my opinion then maybe YOU should post somewhere else. We said nothing remotely close to being out of line or rude. Have you read some of the things other people have put out on this board? And we are out of line? Plus, not everyone lives on this board and visits everyday so topics get covered a couple times on different threads. I know, use the search feature but, not everyone knows about that feature. I love to here your opinion on things Torn and there are very few times where I have disagreed with you but I never suggested posting somewhere else. Plus, where does it say "diverse opinions can't be discussed"? Where are you getting that? Look, some of the best Sox fans and overall baseball fans are on this board and I love reading what you have to say. I'm just saying that the same people don't have to keep consistently crapping all over "diverse opinions".

Ron Karkovice
08-01-2005, 01:41 AM
We are not Flubs fans, we do not believe in jinxes of any kind. DJ and Hawk make a fine team. If you don't like it, turn on the radio.

:bandance:

SoxyStu
08-01-2005, 01:56 AM
If you don't like it, turn on the radio.

He's nailed it. Even though I watch the game and hear what happens about 5-7 seconds prior to what I see, it's way better than listening to Hawk and DJ. We're lucky to have 2 choices.

Mercy!
08-01-2005, 02:03 AM
Ah, the old "Love it or Leave it" argument.
Mercy! I'm having a Vietnam-era flashback.:o:

TornLabrum
08-01-2005, 07:44 AM
It's a free ****ing country, that's why! Did we touch a nerve or something? Lighten up. We are all Sox fans man. There is nothing wrong with starting a thread or crapping on one. I just told him to expect it because its the same old people who do it. This is one of the dumbest arguments I've seen on here. Again, we are all Sox fans with opinions and if you can't handle my opinion then maybe YOU should post somewhere else. We said nothing remotely close to being out of line or rude. Have you read some of the things other people have put out on this board? And we are out of line? Plus, not everyone lives on this board and visits everyday so topics get covered a couple times on different threads. I know, use the search feature but, not everyone knows about that feature. I love to here your opinion on things Torn and there are very few times where I have disagreed with you but I never suggested posting somewhere else. Plus, where does it say "diverse opinions can't be discussed"? Where are you getting that? Look, some of the best Sox fans and overall baseball fans are on this board and I love reading what you have to say. I'm just saying that the same people don't have to keep consistently crapping all over "diverse opinions".

This is absolutely hilarious. Somebody with a total of 76 posts over the course of one year (btw, happy anniversary Region) griped about the lack of diverse opinions here. As PHG is fond of saying when people write about how bad things are on the home page, "You have the right to submit anything you want." If you don't like the supposed lack of diversity here, then write something here instead of bitching about it to a newbie.

I think it was a cheap shot at the people here, and I think my question is legitimate. If you don't like it, and you don't want to do something about it (which I probably said should have added, I admit) except make nasty little comments about it, then why are you still here? 76 posts in 12 months isn't going to cause any changes to occur, nor is one petulant post in the middle of a thread.

TornLabrum
08-01-2005, 07:49 AM
Ah, the old "Love it or Leave it" argument.
Mercy! I'm having a Vietnam-era flashback.:o:

Exactly 180 degrees from what I was saying. First of all, the person to whom I was referring, has a grand total of 76 posts in one year of membership here. With that number of posts, he is doing nothing to increase the diversity of the posts. Instead he chose to drop a bomb in the middle of a thread saying this:

There needs to be a disclaimer that if you mention anything negative at all it is trouble.

Now there's a real positive statement for you. This person just told a newcomer that he should never say anything negative (about whom or what?) or he will be in trouble. So again I ask, if he feels that way, why does he bother to post at all...or better still, why doesn't he try to do something about it other than simply ****ing on the site.

LuvSox
08-01-2005, 07:52 AM

The Band Wagon Express rolls along....

TornLabrum
08-01-2005, 08:01 AM
The Band Wagon Express rolls along....

Careful, you might be criticized here for ripping someone you disagree with.

Heffalump
08-01-2005, 08:49 AM
I like DJ........While he may be a little too goofy at times, overall, he cracks me up and has a decent give-and-take with Hawk.

MsSoxVixen22
08-01-2005, 08:51 AM
I like DJ........While he may be a little too goofy at times, overall, he cracks me up and has a decent give-and-take with Hawk.

I second that.

ChicagoHoosier
08-01-2005, 09:15 AM
Famio and Rooney are the tops, so I'd do nothing to break up that combination. I think, like many others have posted in the past, that DJ is starting to grow on me. But I can guarantee that there are TONS of people that belong here that hate DJ. For me, it's been an acquired taste. Sort of like beer, which thank God I acquired 15-20 years ago. :gulp:

As for all the talking going back and forth, I think this board is for expressing an opinion, expressing your contract opinion, and everyone posting whatever they want. I just wish folks had taken it a little easier on the newcomer instead of bashing his ideas or saying the thread sucks. It's easy to tell someone you feel their idea is bogus without completely ripping on them. If bad ideas become a habit of someone, then I can see no longer holding back punches, but how about holding back on a New at WSI member?

downstairs
08-01-2005, 09:27 AM
Its all about chemestry and ego.

Chemestry: Hawk and Steve Stone.

Ego: Hawk likes DJ because he doesn't threaten him. Happens all the time. DJ is going nowhere until Hawk wants him gone.

Rooney and Farmer are great radio broadcasters. You will find very few that do the job better. In fact, by all accounts (USA Today had an article), most of the nation agrees that they're either the best or second best to the Dodgers' radio team.

harwar
08-01-2005, 09:43 AM
John and Ed may not hang out together but they genuinely like each other and know each others moves very well.
Rooney is one of the most respected broadcasters in the game.
I think people like Farmer because hes' affable.
I haven't met very may fans that enjoy Hawks' games but he is well liked around both leagues but for different reasons than those stated above.

Realist
08-01-2005, 09:53 AM

I third that. DJ seems to keep improving. A couple of years ago I was not a fan. Now I really like him.

Besides, I gotta give him credit for sitting next to Hawk every game and not strangling him. Don't get me wrong... I love Hawk as an announcer, but I think there'd probably fistacuffs if I had to sit next to him every single stinkin' day.

Steakpita
08-01-2005, 10:48 AM
I like DJ too. He and Hawk make for an overall very enjoyable game-watching experience. This point has been ESPECIALLY driven home for me after listening to the asinine ESPN game broadcasts. Those guys realllllly suck at their jobs. I happily take Rooney/Farmer and the tape-delay over listening to their crap. Boo ESPN! (ps - hating on ESPN... always accepted) :smile:

I think the point people were trying to make is if you're new here, general policy is to wait til you prove you know what you're talking about before talking badly about some integral part of the Sox/Sox Coverage Team - we don't have many good media members surrounding the team - those few we do should be loved for their strengths as well as weaknessess. Hawk/DJ/Rooney/Farmer = Untouchable.

Rocklive99
08-01-2005, 12:10 PM
I don't really like DJ, but I don't mind him as much since he seems like a nice guy, it sounds good when Hawk is in the right mood, and there's a lot of other crap announcers if you go around the league. But I was spoiled when I heard Hawk/Carmen DeFalco or when Blackjack was filling in for Hawk, better alternatives do seem to be out there

HITMEN OF 77
08-01-2005, 02:15 PM
I like DJ. I think he does a good job. Stone and Hawk in the same booth? Never. that would be a disaster.

riverside marked as a troll again
08-01-2005, 02:26 PM
There is no such thing as a "jinx". Stop crying.

I agree thatís for cubs fan to believe in

TDog
08-01-2005, 02:38 PM
... Example- In the 1st game vs. Boston, after the Crede error, DJ says, " I hope that doesn't come back to hurt the Sox." Next pitch, the ball sails over the fence for a Boston winner. He's made predictions like this all year long, and Im sick of him jinxin the team...not to mention that he doesn't seem to know anything about anything. He's gotta go. ...

Sounds more like astute analysis. There are no jinxes.

Grow up, kid.

kittle545feet
08-01-2005, 03:35 PM
Careful, you might be criticized here for ripping someone you disagree with.There is a difference between ripping someone and disagreeing. Come on is this really an argument over semantics? Someone wants to make a legitimate complaint about something he saw on the TV broadcast and he is immediately told his thread blows. Just disagree with him like I did, how about that? I love the "This Thread Blows" banner. It has been used very wisely before but now it seems to be the response when people are too lazy to write something. And again, some people cannot make it on to the site as often as some of the regulars so to me it doesn't matter how many posts a person has made. Plus, I don't see the connection with numbers of posts and changing anything because the same people are the ones who keep bashing people.:threadblows: :redneck OOPS! HAHA. God Bless Sox Fans!

TornLabrum
08-01-2005, 04:19 PM
There is a difference between ripping someone and disagreeing. Come on is this really an argument over semantics? Someone wants to make a legitimate complaint about something he saw on the TV broadcast and he is immediately told his thread blows. Just disagree with him like I did, how about that? I love the "This Thread Blows" banner. It has been used very wisely before but now it seems to be the response when people are too lazy to write something. And again, some people cannot make it on to the site as often as some of the regulars so to me it doesn't matter how many posts a person has made. Plus, I don't see the connection with numbers of posts and changing anything because the same people are the ones who keep bashing people.:threadblows: :redneck OOPS! HAHA. God Bless Sox Fans!

Number of posts becomes an interesting factor when you compare that to the number of times those posts have been sent to the ****house. It gives one an idea of why maybe certain comments were made and whether the person making those comments might have an axe to grind.

AMestan
08-01-2005, 08:51 PM
Rooney,

I agree with you 100%. DJ is a fool. I'm sick of him and Hawk trying to have a conversation while I'm watching the game. I'm sick of DJ trying to match wits with Hawk. I'm sick DJ comparing anyone Hawk played with (Hawk actually had a career) to T. Gwynn and A. Dawson, etc,. I'm sick and tired of DJ talking about his beloved Cubbie's... I'm sick of DJ telling me what a great city Chicago is (I've only lived here for 43 years, South Side and West Side.)

If Hawk would just do the play by play he could be one of the best in the business. Instead he asks the "fiesty one" for an opinion. I don't care about his opinion, Japan, Cubbies, AAA Ball, San Diego or his constant (until last week) potential filled rants about WILLIE.

If there wasn't a delay on the radio I would never listed to TV. DJ is terrible. I'm a season ticket holder and called the Sox about him. Without mentioning any names there have been numerous complaints about the Simpleton, however, he's under contract for a couple of years.

Maybe tomorrow Hawk and DJ will talk about the usual things, "mind sets", "the well conditioned athlete (is that with or without steroids)" , "the beautiful City of Chicago" (You know Hawk, the lakefront is beautiful, Chicago's a beautiful city), the beautiful city of San Diego", one of DJ's numerous roomates from Japan, Cubbies, AAA ball; maybe they'll talk about "it's an attitude". Oh wait until Borchard gets called up to fill up the roster spots (I hope not) in September, (Joe was hitting the cover off the ball in AAA, Joe was a two star Letterman at Stanford), yada, yada, yada.

I'm with you kid, DJ, is the worst analyst I've ever heard. He has no idea who his audience is. DJ is starting to believe we actually listen to the game to hear his Bull ****. Maybe someone told him he had potential, or even star power. I just wish Hawk would pull out some old tapes of games from 10 to 15 years ago when announced the game, added some variety and didn't try to talk over the entire game.

I want Mags back
08-01-2005, 08:59 PM

of course not, u want the guy who is good at describing what is going on on the radio, and u want the fun tell stories kinda guy on TV. hawk would Suck at radio, we would have no idea what the hell is going on

Pea-Pod
08-01-2005, 10:36 PM
DJ doesn't bother me...except for......

:DJ"UUH-OOOOOOOOH!!!!!"

Norberto7
08-01-2005, 10:55 PM
Guys, guys, guys! Remember...

:DJ
"It's not rocket surgery!"

DJ did have a slow start at the beginning, but he has definitely carved a niche for himself. I think he has a unique, eccentric style that's an aquired taste. I say DJ's gotta stay!

whtsx1959
08-01-2005, 11:13 PM
Kinda off-topic but since we're talking about DJ,

Has anyone noticed DJ being the only voice for a few minutes, doing Play-by-Play and color. It's happened a few times this year and sounds really wierd, I just assume Hawk's taken a bathroom break.

LostInLeftField
08-02-2005, 01:16 AM
To his credit, DJ is a student of the game; meaning he does independent research ahead of broadcasts. However a student of the game does not a good broadcaster make. In his defense, DJ is shackled down by Hawk's dominant personality. If Hawk is in a bad mood, the broadcast is going to be terrible no matter what DJ says or how he says it. Overall-- though marginally better this year-- the Sox television broadcasts are substandard and verge on excruciatingly painful when DJ and Hawk get into pattern of talking around one another opposed to establishing a dialog.