68 and counting.

Whitesox4ever
07-31-2005, 10:50 PM
Magic # 45

Lets go Sox

DickAllen72
07-31-2005, 10:52 PM
Here we go, down the stretch!

Go Sox! I hope Podsednik is OK. I hope Iguchi didn't get hurt by that HBP, either.

rowand33
07-31-2005, 10:53 PM
any word on how Gooch is doing?

RadioheadRocks
07-31-2005, 10:53 PM
Sox win! :supernana:

Twins lose! :supernana:

Cubs lose! :supernana:

Like I've been telling everyone here at work, "it's a great day to be me!!!" :D:

EdHerman12
07-31-2005, 10:56 PM
I believe we got at least 1 hit each inning...that's awesome! Freddie did good. A solid win all the way around. Hope the 'Gooch is ok...

GO SOX! :bandance: :bandance: :bandance: :bandance: :bandance: :bandance: :bandance: :bandance: :bandance: :gulp:

jake27
07-31-2005, 10:58 PM
im not assesible to a tv or radio, what happened to gooch?

rowand33
07-31-2005, 10:59 PM
im not assesible to a tv or radio, what happened to gooch?

rough HBP.

left the game in the third.

Corlose 15
07-31-2005, 11:01 PM
So how many wins is it until both Joe Sheehan and Steve Phillips are officially wrong?:D: :D:

soltrain21
07-31-2005, 11:02 PM
I am sure he is fine. Why not take him out with that big of a lead? I wouldn't want to stay in with a sore back, either.

You know Ozzie's policy, though. If you get taken out of a game because of an injury, then you don't play the next day. However, that will give Blum an opportunity to start.

SoxSpeed22
07-31-2005, 11:02 PM
Time to KO these guys from the race tommorow. It's good to get 9 runs and not one HR.

DumpJerry
07-31-2005, 11:04 PM
Time to KO these guys from the race tommorow. It's good to get 9 runs and not one HR.
Amen to that and send notice to the dark cloud "Magglio and Frank are gone" crowd.

MIgrenade
07-31-2005, 11:04 PM
This is a slow post game thread.

FWIW, magic number is 45, and the game that isn't televised is 43 games away. With the way the Twins and Cleveland are playing the Sox should clinch before then.

DumpJerry
07-31-2005, 11:06 PM
This is a slow post game thread.
Yeah, it was 10 minutes or so after the game ended and I was surprised there wasn't one, so I started it. My first official post game thread!:D:

Rocklive99
07-31-2005, 11:09 PM
Guch update as soon as it's available please!

Kogs35
07-31-2005, 11:09 PM
nice win tonight. hopefully guch is alright.

Palehose13
07-31-2005, 11:10 PM
Twins and Jndians tied for second at 14.5 back. *sigh* This is getting boring. What was that comment about Pods? Is he hurt? I saw that Timo had the start, but I figured it was one of Ozzie's Sunday line ups.

WinOrDyeTrying
07-31-2005, 11:13 PM
Yeah, it was 10 minutes or so after the game ended and I was surprised there wasn't one, so I started it. My first official post game thread!:D:

Its because of the trade deadline. Like a little kid on Christmas morning who didn't get what they wanted. They're just pouting and not talking the rest of the day. :whiner:

SoxSpeed22
07-31-2005, 11:13 PM
What was that comment about Pods? Is he hurt? I saw that Timo had the start, but I figured it was one of Ozzie's Sunday line ups.They said he was just tired and in a stealing slump. He got thrown out 6 of the last 8 times.

Hokiesox
07-31-2005, 11:14 PM
My observations from 10th row upper deck behind Home plate:

Timo Perez should not play for this team again. Ever. he accounted for 2 outs in the first inning, a GIDP in the 3rd, thus making 4 outs in 3 AB's. Furthermore, he looked clueless in the outfield often stabbing at balls 1 or 2 paces away from where he camped "underneath" it. And, b/c of where I was, I couldn't see if he could have gotten that HR ball or not, but he didn't give much effort, so I'm guessing he couldn't have gotten it.

Second, why is Joe crede playing again? His glove? he needs to take the superglue out of it then. 2 runs score on 1 error, and another "phantom" hit, which should have been an error. Ridiculous for someone paid to be a defensive guy.

Third, Baltimore has NO picthing. I've gone to 3 games, and no starter has lasted more then 1.1 innings (I wasn't at Friday's. I'm talking about a game against CLE last month, and yesterday and today's against the Sox). Further, it was pretty awesome to hear Shammy get booed everytime he stepped out of the dugout. The orioles fans drowned us Sox fans out. Great stuff.

Overall, good game by the Sox, though. Lucky this was against baltimore's pitching and not a team like toronto, or NY...

Jjav829
07-31-2005, 11:19 PM
I don't know about the rest of you, but when I saw Timo leading off, I said, "We're scoring at least 9 runs tonight."

Frankfan4life
07-31-2005, 11:19 PM
Woo hoo!!! I love winning. This is so cool!!! This season has been a ton of fun. All I want now is for the Sox to keep this up into the post season.

GO SOX!!!! :supernana:

rowand33
07-31-2005, 11:24 PM

Timo Perez should not play for this team again. Ever. he accounted for 2 outs in the first inning, a GIDP in the 3rd, thus making 4 outs in 3 AB's. Furthermore, he looked clueless in the outfield often stabbing at balls 1 or 2 paces away from where he camped "underneath" it. And, b/c of where I was, I couldn't see if he could have gotten that HR ball or not, but he didn't give much effort, so I'm guessing he couldn't have gotten it.

Agreed

Second, why is Joe crede playing again? His glove? he needs to take the superglue out of it then. 2 runs score on 1 error, and another "phantom" hit, which should have been an error. Ridiculous for someone paid to be a defensive guy.

yeah, the plays sucked, but he did make a great catch towards the end of the game. These things happen. And actually, Crede is just having an all around great year. both with the glove and at the dish.

Only one bat month batting this year.

April-.304
May-.155
June-.275
July-.297

post break-.319

:crede
Singing:
"You can hate me now
But I won't stop now
Cause I can't stop now
You can hate me now"

embrace everybody...

Crede is good! I've waited for this as long as everybody else and it's almost official. Let's just hope that september or august isn't like May.

Third, Baltimore has NO picthing. I've gone to 3 games, and no starter has lasted more then 1.1 innings (I wasn't at Friday's. I'm talking about a game against CLE last month, and yesterday and today's against the Sox). Further, it was pretty awesome to hear Shammy get booed everytime he stepped out of the dugout. The orioles fans drowned us Sox fans out. Great stuff.

Agreed

Overall, good game by the Sox, though. Lucky this was against baltimore's pitching and not a team like toronto, or NY...[/QUOTE]

rowand33
07-31-2005, 11:25 PM
I don't know about the rest of you, but when I saw Timo leading off, I said, "We're scoring at least 9 runs tonight."

LOL.

well played.

when I saw timo leading off I had no idea what to think.

DaleJRFan
07-31-2005, 11:26 PM
So how many wins is it until both Joe Sheehan and Steve Phillips are officially wrong?:D: :D:

Steve Phillips gushed over the Sox and "Ozzie-ball" all night. I think he finally came around...

fuzzy_patters
07-31-2005, 11:26 PM
Looking ahead, tonights game should set us up nicely for a sweep. Baltimore once again had to use up their whole bullpen, and now they are probably going to have to call some one up to pitch because Bruce Chen, tomorrow's probable starter, pitched in each of the last two games.

Additionally, none of the teams trying to catch us made themselves better at the trade deadline. This was a great market if you already have the best team. Life is good!

slobes
07-31-2005, 11:28 PM
Good game by Garcia.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed about Iguchi....

Hokiesox
07-31-2005, 11:30 PM
Cabrera is pitching tomorrow. too bad it's not ponson.

Iguchi should be fine. They said hip contusion at the game. take a day and he should be ready to go.

MIgrenade
07-31-2005, 11:32 PM

This is just great. I love that when Crede was playing perfect defense and not hitting people complained. Now he's hitting over .300 for the second half and his defense slips and people still complain. A few weeks ago everyone wanted him traded for better hitter.

fuzzy_patters
07-31-2005, 11:34 PM
Cabrera is pitching tomorrow. too bad it's not ponson.

Iguchi should be fine. They said hip contusion at the game. take a day and he should be ready to go.

Cabrera is pitching after one off day? I know he did not throw that many pitches, but he is not used to pitching so soon since he is a starter. This sounds good for our Sox.

balke
07-31-2005, 11:35 PM

Do Mods get POTW's?

TimoandAaron
07-31-2005, 11:38 PM
Time to KO these guys from the race tommorow. It's good to get 9 runs and not one HR.when the sox were up 9-1 or 9-2, whoever was announcing stated that Paulie was the Sox HR leader. I was baffled that someone would say that after the team they are talking about had scored 9 runs....................without a home run.

This whole winning thing is bringing the post game threads dowwwwn in replies.

TornLabrum
07-31-2005, 11:39 PM

Yeah, Timo and Crede had a definite negative impact in our 9-4 win. Every game must be an errorless shutout where everybody goes 5-5.

chisoxfanatic
07-31-2005, 11:39 PM
I believe we got at least 1 hit each inning...that's awesome!

The Sox DID go in order in two of the nine innings, but who's counting???

Ok, I did since I wrote the game report...But, what a great offensive splurge we've put on Baltimore this weekend!!! I'll take it.

Foulke You
07-31-2005, 11:43 PM
:roflmao:

Nice win tonight! Wow do the Orioles look like a totally different team than the one we split with at Comiskey in May. The Royals put up more of a fight than this.

I hope the few Sammy supporters have been watching this guy play recently. He is a shadow of his former juiced up self. What a joke. It didn't even look like Freddy was trying, and he still got him to strike out. I'm gonna make a prediction, Sammy will either be in Japan next year or he'll be on the D-Rays.

I am worried about Iguchi. That ball looked like it hit him square on the hip. I hope he is ok. Was I the only one who thought that was an intentional HBP?? It sure looked like he was throwing at him.:mad:

SOX ADDICT '73
07-31-2005, 11:43 PM
I know our official stance here at WSI is that we "don't like to see injuries to opposing players" (*suppresses a grin while thinking about Torii Hunter's ankle*), but is it too much to ask for Eric Byrnes to come away from one of his hot-dogging headfirst slides with at least a bloody nose? I hate that guy...

balke
07-31-2005, 11:44 PM

Overall, good game by the Sox, though. Lucky this was against baltimore's pitching and not a team like toronto, or NY...

I'll start out by saying that we're going to have to take away Crede's 2-RBI's and 2 hits, because each error is equal to at least negative one RBI... and the fact that we were leading at the time of the RBI's means they were actually worth 1/2 of a total RBI, so he actually had only 1 RBI to begin with. Carry the one, after the model of error/hit/value divided by game/AB/innings fielded, and Crede owes us a double, 3 RBI, and an unassisted triple play.

Secondly, did you SERIOUSLY JUST SAY THAT THE YANKEES HAVE PITCHING? Randy Johnson gave up 6 earned runs today. At some point you have to step back and give the offense a hand for being patient and not swinging for the fences. The 5 runs scored with 2-outs were a result of patience and clutch hitting. The pitcher did suck today, but a lot of pitchers get the lucky flyout in situations like that.

As far as our pitching went today, we played with the lead all game. Freddy would've been pulled in the 6th probably if it were a tight game. It wasn't, the Sox are pounding the O's as they should.

SluggersAway
07-31-2005, 11:46 PM
This thread needs a much sexier title, I know you can do better. I'm still very satisfied with the outcome, but come on. A little creativity anyone?

DumpJerry
07-31-2005, 11:49 PM
This thread needs a much sexier title, I know you can do better. I'm still very satisfied with the outcome, but come on. A little creativity anyone?
How about "Just another day at the office?"

Frankfan4life
08-01-2005, 12:11 AM
I know our official stance here at WSI is that we "don't like to see injuries to opposing players" (*suppresses a grin while thinking about Torii Hunter's ankle*), but is it too much to ask for Eric Byrnes to come away from one of his hot-dogging headfirst slides with at least a bloody nose? I hate that guy...Obviously, he loves playing against the Sox and I'm sure he just loved being on national TV. One good thing though, in spite of all his face-first sliding around, his team still lost. HA!

batmanZoSo
08-01-2005, 12:39 AM
The game was a pleasure to watch, period. Love games like that. Especially when they're on ESPN. We've turned that whole thing around a little bit lately. We sure caught Baltimore at a good time, man they suck. I think they said this was the third time in 4 games that their starter was knocked out before the 3rd inning was over or something. I also liked all the nice stats they showed about us. We've lead in like 91/103 games this year or something? Good god we kick ass.

chisoxfanatic
08-01-2005, 12:46 AM
The game was a pleasure to watch, period. Love games like that. Especially when they're on ESPN. We've turned that whole thing around a little bit lately. We sure caught Baltimore at a good time, man they suck. I think they said this was the third time in 4 games that their starter was knocked out before the 3rd inning was over or something. I also liked all the nice stats they showed about us. We've lead in like 91/103 games this year or something? Good god we kick ass.

Not to forget the graphics they showed about SMART ball!!! Gotta love smart ball!!!

Ozzie rocks!

batmanZoSo
08-01-2005, 01:05 AM
Oh and Rodrigo really sucked, too. He's a pretty good pitcher otherwise. It is just raining @#$% on Bald-i-more right now.

When was the last time we had two four game road sweeps in a season?

JB98
08-01-2005, 01:05 AM
when the sox were up 9-1 or 9-2, whoever was announcing stated that Paulie was the Sox HR leader. I was baffled that someone would say that after the team they are talking about had scored 9 runs....................without a home run.

This whole winning thing is bringing the post game threads dowwwwn in replies.

I think the announcers brought up the HRs because they wanted to point out that we have a team that is capable of beating people in multiple ways. Some of the small-ball geeks around here like to make it sound as if hitting HRs is a bad thing. But the fact of the matter is we won both Friday and Saturday because somebody smacked a 3-run HR. Tonight, we won with some good two-out hitting, and the guys did a good job of staying back through the middle and using the opposite field. That's the beauty of this team. Sometimes we win with power. Sometimes we win with speed. Sometimes we outpitch the opponent. Sometimes we just seem to get the clutch single or double at just the right time.

Iguchi will be OK. I predict he'll sit tomorrow and be back in there Tuesday. Pods will play tomorrow. Just sounds like he needed a day off. He didn't swing the bat particularly well the first two games of this series, so Ozzie decided to give him a rest.

Jjav829
08-01-2005, 01:13 AM
The game was a pleasure to watch, period.

Except for the length of the game. It seems like we don't play games under 3:30 anymore. I don't mind that if it's a close, interesting game, but this game wasn't. We practically had this game wrapped up after 1/2 an inning. The next 3 hours just dragged on with the outcome never really in doubt. Then again, is the outcome ever really in doubt when we're playing? :cool:

Mr. White Sox
08-01-2005, 01:13 AM
Once Cabrera got hit by Crede, I predicted that the Sox would sweep the series, and said "I'd be disappointed otherwise." Now that I look at that quote, I realize I'm a fool for not being happy with winning 3/4, and I'm usually not a cocky fan, but it is true that the Orioles are laying down and dying for the Sox, and a sweep is verrry likely now.

Supernana to Garcia for staying in there and striking out Sham-Me 3 times.
Hell, supernana to the whole team!

:supernana:
"Yeah! Everyone but Timo."

chisoxfanatic
08-01-2005, 01:15 AM
Except for the length of the game. It seems like we don't play games under 3:30 anymore. I don't mind that if it's a close, interesting game, but this game wasn't. We practically had this game wrapped up after 1/2 an inning. The next 3 hours just dragged on with the outcome never really in doubt. Then again, is the outcome ever really in doubt when we're playing? :cool:

Uhhhh, that was only because Baltimore's pitchers are SLOW! It sucks tho that tomorrow's game is so early...

batmanZoSo
08-01-2005, 01:17 AM
I think the announcers brought up the HRs because they wanted to point out that we have a team that is capable of beating people in multiple ways. Some of the small-ball geeks around here like to make it sound as if hitting HRs is a bad thing. But the fact of the matter is we won both Friday and Saturday because somebody smacked a 3-run HR. Tonight, we won with some good two-out hitting, and the guys did a good job of staying back through the middle and using the opposite field. That's the beauty of this team. Sometimes we win with power. Sometimes we win with speed. Sometimes we outpitch the opponent. Sometimes we just seem to get the clutch single or double at just the right time.

Iguchi will be OK. I predict he'll sit tomorrow and be back in there Tuesday. Pods will play tomorrow. Just sounds like he needed a day off. He didn't swing the bat particularly well the first two games of this series, so Ozzie decided to give him a rest.

The first inning was outstanding and we've had a few innings like that this year. Great two out hitting, no one trying to do too much. Just stringing together base hits and making the pitcher throw and sweat. I would venture to guess Rodrigo lost a few pounds of water weight after that first inning.

Crede is great at those excuse-me singles to right. It just makes you scream why can't you do that more often!

chisoxfanatic
08-01-2005, 01:19 AM
"Yeah! Everyone but Timo."

Hey, he DID have a sac fly tonight!!! :cool:

Jjav829
08-01-2005, 01:23 AM
Uhhhh, that was only because Baltimore's pitchers are SLOW! It sucks tho that tomorrow's game is so early...

It doesn't help that they are bad, too. :tongue:

Even the Royals series had some long games. With Buehrle going tomorrow, you know the streak of long games will end.

TaylorStSox
08-01-2005, 01:29 AM
Don't be surprised to see the real B line up in tomorrow. Timo, Pablo, and Blumm will definitely start. Pods probably needs another day off. Iguchi's definitely getting the day off. They're not going to sit the new guy on his first day.

Honestly, tomorrow's game means absolutely nothing. It's time to start gearing up for a play off run.

voodoochile
08-01-2005, 07:56 AM
Alosmost time to make another deposit...

Oh and the guy whining about Crede conveniently forgets he drove in two runs in the first and scored another one. Those were three huge runs that early in the game...

WHATEVER...

:supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :bandance:

TornLabrum
08-01-2005, 08:00 AM
Alosmost time to make another deposit...

Oh and the guy whining about Crede conveniently forgets he drove in two runs in the first and scored another one. Those were three huge runs that early in the game...

WHATEVER...

:supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :bandance:

They were meaningless because the other guys drove in enough runs that his weren't needed.

BeviBall!
08-01-2005, 08:05 AM

I said the same thing, then I added, "He'll account for maybe one of those... by accident."

BeviBall!
08-01-2005, 08:08 AM
Don't be surprised to see the real B line up in tomorrow. Timo, Pablo, and Blumm will definitely start. Pods probably needs another day off. Iguchi's definitely getting the day off. They're not going to sit the new guy on his first day.

Honestly, tomorrow's game means absolutely nothing. It's time to start gearing up for a play off run.

Absolutely. At least Oz does this when no one can actually watch the game. Two matinee's this week... ridiculous.

voodoochile
08-01-2005, 08:08 AM
I said the same thing, then I added, "He'll account for maybe one of those... by accident."

It's a good thing that Timo was playing, the first inning might have never ended otherwise...:tongue:

BeviBall!
08-01-2005, 08:10 AM
It's a good thing that Timo was playing, the first inning might have never ended otherwise...:tongue:

You got that straight. I also enjoyed him swinging at ball four, fouling it off, then hitting into the DP, allowing Baltimore to hit Gooch. Stellar stuff for El Capitan Perez all around.