PDA

View Full Version : Just Wondering...

Lip Man 1
07-31-2005, 09:37 PM
A few days ago Mike Kiley predicted that 'the baseball world will be focused on Chicago after the Cubs get Soriano.'

Anybody see anybody focusing?

LOL

Lip

skobabe8
07-31-2005, 09:44 PM
A few days ago Mike Kiley predicted that 'the baseball world will be focused on Chicago after the Cubs get Soriano.'

LOL

Lip

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Kiley wont admit he was wrong.

Chisox353014
07-31-2005, 11:25 PM

LOL

Lip

Well, to be fair he did say if, but it's still a funny quote nonetheless. I swear the media in this town treat Flub fans like they are 6 years old:

While the Cubs were disappointed to be shut out by Diamondbacks starter Brad Halsey (7-7) and three relievers Thursday, they pointed out that one bad day doesn't erase that they have been playing good baseball for the most part and are a respectable 9-6 since the All-Star break.

If Soriano shows up by Monday, when the Cubs open a trip in Philadelphia and then go on to New York to play the Mets, the Cubs will be the center of attention in the baseball world once again and Hendry will have pulled off a big trade for the third straight year in hopes of going to the World Series.

No wonder 99% of these morons are smoking the Kubbie Krack, in Cubland everything is OK!

DumpJerry
07-31-2005, 11:30 PM
The Flubs go to Philly and then New York this week? Oh joy!:D:

EdHerman12
07-31-2005, 11:52 PM
Geez, I'm surprised your post hasn't mysteriously "disappeared" for mentioning the Flubs...this board takes this Sox/Cubs stuff wayyyyyy too seriously...

GO SOX! :gulp:

DaleJRFan
07-31-2005, 11:53 PM
who is Mike Kiley?

TornLabrum
08-01-2005, 12:09 AM
Don't worry, Lip. By tomorrow morning, we'll all be hearing how Lawton is as good as or even better than Soriano. Or perhaps, the name Soriano just won't appear anymore, causing all the Kubby Kool-Aid drinkers to forget that it was even mentioned.

Kogs35
08-01-2005, 12:14 AM
Don't worry, Lip. By tomorrow morning, we'll all be hearing how Lawton is as good as or even better than Soriano. Or perhaps, the name Soriano just won't appear anymore, causing all the Kubby Kool-Aid drinkers to forget that it was even mentioned.

in tomorow's news reports from bruuuuuce
http://images.radcity.net/5176/585864.jpg

"The cubs aquired Matt Lawton who is theeeeeee greatest player since sliced bread"

Optipessimism
08-01-2005, 12:27 AM
Apparently Alfonso can play D up the middle, hit leadoff, fill three slots in the bullpen, and one slot in the starting rotation.

And he also must take a ton of walks.

The Flubs suck. If our Sox team sucked as much **** as the Flubs roster does, there would be no one in the media and no fan here saying one player could take us to the World Series.

I had to listen to the Score today to hear about any trades and I forget this guy's name but he's some idiot Flubs fan who was saying they should get Soriano because he's fast and can hit HR's. The other guy was arguing with him, saying not to trade Rich Hill because they have no pitching!!! Jesus, give this guy the reigns of the team, at least he can somewhat see what an embarrassing shipwreck of a team they have. Whoever the other guy was must have huge pink elephants in every single room of his house.

Anyway, I don't know where I was going with this but if you are a Flub fan and you can't see that your team has no freaking bullpen, can't play D, and your best situational hitters are probably Todd Walker and Henry freakin' Blanco - and then you say that you need Soriano to put you over the top - you are a moron!

I swear to God, the Flub fans are even worse than before. They don't have Clue #1 anymore now that Steve Stone isn't there to hold their hands and walk them through the basics of a professional baseball game.

TornLabrum
08-01-2005, 12:31 AM
in tomorow's news reports from bruuuuuce
http://images.radcity.net/5176/585864.jpg

"The cubs aquired Matt Lawton who is theeeeeee greatest player since sliced bread"

I didn't think sliced bread was that good of a player! :)

Trav
08-01-2005, 03:11 AM
According to today's Phil Rogers' article Hendry could have had Soriano for the two top players in their farm sytem. I think that is a great deal for the cubs and am glad they didn't do it. How does he pass on that?

Optipessimism
08-01-2005, 04:18 AM
According to today's Phil Rogers' article Hendry could have had Soriano for the two top players in their farm sytem. I think that is a great deal for the cubs and am glad they didn't do it. How does he pass on that?

Because unfortunately Hendry isn't stupid.

Banix12
08-01-2005, 04:30 AM

Hendry doesn't want to give up Rich Hill, and I don't blame him. If you have pitchers who get injured as often as Wood and Prior it's handy to have a guy of his talent to pitch, at a cheap price to boot.

I don't think the Cubs needed Soriano. They needed Hendry to demote Patterson in May and trade Hollandsworth so Dusty would have never had the urge to play them. When you have a manager like Dusty who has these very predictible tendencies of playing sub-par players you have to build the team so he can't make those moves.

Trav
08-01-2005, 05:04 AM
Because unfortunately Hendry isn't stupid.

This non-deal asside, yes he is. $100 million to spend and he puts that team out there. He sure isn't smart.

I'm not going to argue about the cubs but Soriano has proven he can be a leadoff man when needed and that is what they need. That was my point.

Chips
08-01-2005, 06:58 AM
who is Mike Kiley?

Cubs writer for the Scrub-Times.

thepaulbowski
08-01-2005, 08:49 AM
This non-deal asside, yes he is. $100 million to spend and he puts that team out there. He sure isn't smart.

I'm not going to argue about the cubs but Soriano has proven he can be a leadoff man when needed and that is what they need. That was my point.

Well, $18 million or so of it is paying a certain player in Baltimore who is not even in a Cubs uniform anymore. I don't like the Cubs, but Hendry has pulled off some pretty good deals over the last few years.

Trav
08-01-2005, 10:02 AM
Well, $18 million or so of it is paying a certain player in Baltimore who is not even in a Cubs uniform anymore. I don't like the Cubs, but Hendry has pulled off some pretty good deals over the last few years.

He wasn't miracled there. Hendry is the one who failed to get anything for him. Not only that, but he failed to dump more of his salary. You are making my point for me.

He has made a few good trades-I'm not doubting that-but that hardly makes him a great GM, which is the perceived notion around the baseball world. In fact, this past off-season for the cubs was one of the worst I have seen for any team. He failed to address one single problem with someone who could really impact his team. Unless you buy into the farce that Steve Stone was the root of the problem... That makes him a below average GM, IMO.

santo=dorf
08-01-2005, 11:50 AM

Levine was reporting Walker (Who texas was going after in the offseason,) Pinto, (Hendry would've probably traded Texas a crappy car,) and Mitre.

fquaye149
08-01-2005, 11:56 AM
:whiner: :whiner: :whiner: Geez, I'm surprised your post hasn't mysteriously "disappeared" for mentioning the Flubs...this board takes this Sox/Cubs stuff wayyyyyy too seriously...

GO SOX! :gulp::whiner: :whiner: :whiner:

santo=dorf
08-01-2005, 12:00 PM
He wasn't miracled there. Hendry is the one who failed to get anything for him. Not only that, but he failed to dump more of his salary. You are making my point for me.

He has made a few good trades-I'm not doubting that-but that hardly makes him a great GM, which is the perceived notion around the baseball world. In fact, this past off-season for the cubs was one of the worst I have seen for any team. He failed to address one single problem with someone who could really impact his team. Unless you buy into the farce that Steve Stone was the root of the problem... That makes him a below average GM, IMO.

His great trades only came in situations where the other team was a smaller market looking to dump salary, or the team wanted to rid themselves of the player.

Ramirez and Lofton: Pittsburgh knew they couldn't afford Ramirez, and he was becoming uncoachable.
Nomar was not wanted in the Boston clubhouse and so far the best part of Jim trading Gonzalez, Beltran, Harris, and Jones was for Matt Murton.
Derrek Lee: Florida had to choose between resigning Luis Castillo and Derrek Lee, and they decided to keep their second baseman who would cost them less money. Remember all of the Castillo to the Cubs rumors?
Karros and Grudzielanek: It was an exchange of bad contracts, and LA didn't want Eric Karros or Grudz on the team for 2003.
He has also traded for Doug Glanville, Tony Womack, Jose Hernandez, Andy Pratt, Stephen Randolph, lost Andy Sisco, gave big money to Remlinger, Hawkins, Borowski, Wood ($10 soon to be $12 million for a reliever???) and has the same obsession with Jimmy Anderson as KW's obsession with Carl and Alomar.

He's not as great as every Cubs fan wants you to think. I would like to see how he would operate a team without a big payroll. I highly doubt he'd be sending $18 million to Baltimore, eating Borowski's $2.3 million, and trading cash with Hawkins because of the big contract he gave him.

Lip Man 1
08-01-2005, 01:25 PM
Actually the Cubs actuall payroll spent on their own players is smaller this season then at anytime in the past three or four years. I think it's around 88 million. Now if you count the 14 million or so they are paying the Orioles then it's about 100 million but that's not directly helping them win.

Lip

Trav
08-01-2005, 06:32 PM
Santo=Dorf, You are preaching to the converted. I know he is overrated and I realize that his trades were only made because of the money he is allotted. They are still good trades. It is amazing that he was able to -as one member said- date his sister and trade within the division. Bottom line so know one is confused: Hendry is the 2nd most overrated GM in baseball.

JB98
08-01-2005, 06:52 PM
I read that Texas wanted the much-hyped Felix Pie, in addition to Rich Hill. Hendry didn't pull the trigger because Pie is considered the Cubs CF of the future.