PDA

View Full Version : What Does this Years Trading Deadline Mean?

BRDSR
07-31-2005, 07:18 PM
This years trading deadline is the first in awhile that I can remember so little happening around all of baseball. All this boils down to the fact that the sellers were asking too much of the buyers. Basically, the teams with little talent and little money wanted more talent and/or money than the teams rich in money and talent were willing to give.

This seems fundamentally different than in years past. Do you think theres a market trend in baseball where finances are becoming a little more equitable? I think that would be great for baseball in the long run, although it obviously didn't help the White Sox this season. The fact that teams like the Devil Rays and Reds didn't feel enormous pressure to dump quality major league players for next to nothing seems like a good thing to me.

MIgrenade
07-31-2005, 07:51 PM
I don't think you can make any judgements based on one season.

SABRSox
07-31-2005, 07:58 PM
I would offer the suggestion that the non-waiver deadline be extended to Aug. 15th, and the waiver deadline Aug. 30th. I think the wild card forces this since you see a lot more pretenders now, and I think an extra 2 weeks would see at least 4 or 5 teams on the fence between buying and selling have a clearer and more realistic picture of themselves.

Flight #24
07-31-2005, 08:43 PM
Exactly. The teams with premier trade bait weren't dealing. It just so happened that the only team with halfway decent available guys that was definitely out of it is headed by a complete kook. Thems the breaks.

Moving the deadline makes perfect sense with the new playoff arrangement. It'll also help counteract the "dog days of August", and give fans of teams like the Phillies & Marlins something to look forward to as their teams fade from the race.

Nyls Nyman
07-31-2005, 09:41 PM
I think a special part of the weirdness this year is the situation in the NL East and NL West. The NL East has all the teams over .500, with the four non-Braves teams all easily in the Wild Card hunt with the Astros and Cubs. Meanwhile, the NL West is a mess where 82 wins might get you in the playoffs.

So in the NL, only Colorado and Pittsburgh were true sellers at this point. Colorado has nobody left of any value, but they still managed to unload Chacon to the Yankees. Pittsburgh managed to unload Matt Lawton. But there were at least two other teams (Arizona, the Mets, Brewers) that really should be sellers but couldn't quite pull the trigger yet. I really thought that the Brewers would unload Jenkins, and that may still happen closer to August 31.

Meanwhile, in the AL, the D-Rays are run by a moron, and I have no idea what Bill Bavasi is ever thinking. I'm surprised that Toronto didn't sell, but if they did there's a good chance that nobody would show up at Skydome for the next two months. Same with the Twins after the Hunter injury.

I don't think this dynamic will exist next year.

soxwon
07-31-2005, 10:13 PM
ok now how can players be moved?
Waivers?
released?

Lip Man 1
07-31-2005, 10:15 PM
Waivers until September 1st. A player must be on your roster by that date to be eligible for post season action.

Lip

Nyls Nyman
07-31-2005, 10:21 PM
Waivers until September 1st. A player must be on your roster by that date to be eligible for post season action.
Actually, you can make waiver deals all the way to the end of the regular season; it's just that a player acquired after 9/1 isn't eligible to be on a playoff roster so the incentive to make a deal drops significantly.

Didn't the Padres pick up Alex Gonzalez last year in September after Khalil Green broke his hand?

MRKARNO
07-31-2005, 11:46 PM
I would offer the suggestion that the non-waiver deadline be extended to Aug. 15th, and the waiver deadline Aug. 30th. I think the wild card forces this since you see a lot more pretenders now, and I think an extra 2 weeks would see at least 4 or 5 teams on the fence between buying and selling have a clearer and more realistic picture of themselves.

I agree completely. Two weeks from now, Oakland and Houston might be running away with their respective WC races and Atlanta with the East. That would have totally changed the deadline picture and pretenders like San Francisco, Cleveland, Baltimore and Texas may have been more willing to sell. IMO the Phils and Marlins did the right thing by not selling. I never saw why they were even put in that category (or rather why they put themselves in that situation).

ChiSoxRowand
07-31-2005, 11:49 PM
Didn't the Padres pick up Alex Gonzalez last year in September after Khalil Green broke his hand?

Yes

Ol' No. 2
08-01-2005, 10:24 AM
I agree completely. Two weeks from now, Oakland and Houston might be running away with their respective WC races and Atlanta with the East. That would have totally changed the deadline picture and pretenders like San Francisco, Cleveland, Baltimore and Texas may have been more willing to sell. IMO the Phils and Marlins did the right thing by not selling. I never saw why they were even put in that category (or rather why they put themselves in that situation).I'm going to take the contrary view. Personally, I don't like seeing weaker teams being raided every year. I'd move it up to June 30, or even earlier. Most other sports don't allow trades 2/3 of the way through the season. Build your team at the beginning of the season and win or lose with it. Plus, it really skews the schedule. If you have a weak team on your schedule the last two months of the season you have an advantage over another team who plays them earlier in the season.

downstairs
08-01-2005, 11:05 AM
I'm going to take the contrary view. Personally, I don't like seeing weaker teams being raided every year. I'd move it up to June 30, or even earlier. Most other sports don't allow trades 2/3 of the way through the season. Build your team at the beginning of the season and win or lose with it. Plus, it really skews the schedule. If you have a weak team on your schedule the last two months of the season you have an advantage over another team who plays them earlier in the season.

Yeah, I think I agree with you there in terms of the league as a whole.

The more motivation that the rules give to this whole goofy concept of "decide if you're not going to win before 8/1, and all the best players go to teams still in the race" the worse baseball is.

As a fan, I don't want to see a Houston Astros make a "miracle" run in 2004 because they cherry-picked an all-star team that is really not the "2004 Houston Astros".