PDA

View Full Version : Attn Kenny Williams!

DarkCloudDropo
07-31-2005, 07:13 PM
Thank you for not going crazy in your attempts to better this team. I am so glad to know you realized you already have the best team and found no good reason to sell our future out.

At a time when there wasn't much to be had you weren't tempted to make a big trade just for it's own sake. I believe the Blum trade was a good step to take, small as it was and I'm satisfied you did your best.

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK! :smile:

batmanZoSo
07-31-2005, 07:15 PM
He didn't realize anything. The only reason we didn't get anybody is because these other jerks were asking the heavens and earth for not even world-beaters.

PAPChiSox729
07-31-2005, 07:16 PM
He didn't realize anything. The only reason we didn't get anybody is because these other jerks were asking the heavens and earth for not even world-beaters.

I like what he said.
:D:

MarySwiss
07-31-2005, 07:45 PM
I think the first two posters on this thread said pretty much the same thing: Kenny did a great job. Sometimes you're better off just standing pat.

Although I would've liked to have seen him add Eddie Guardado, we still look good.

Kenny, you rock!

:bandance: :bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

Fredsox
07-31-2005, 09:13 PM
Although I would've liked to have seen him add Eddie Guardado, we still look good.

It still might happen. I have a feeling that a lot of clubs that think they're in the race today are going to get real negotiable in the next 2-3 weeks.

Lip Man 1
07-31-2005, 09:25 PM
Gang:

Remember trading isn't over yet, you still have the waiver transactions and you have 30 days to pull them off. Me thinks Tampa Bay for one will be moving some guys for prospects.

Lip

Joosh
07-31-2005, 09:29 PM
In a way, I am glad the Kenny held on to McCarthy and Anderson. Even though this has been a good year, we still need to think about the future.

Thats what makes the Cardinals and Braves so good every year. They field a contending team almost every year. We need to start doing that too.

TDog
08-01-2005, 02:27 AM

Why are they jerks? I think it's high time teams stopped giving players away for prospects and "considerations" at the trade deadline. If teams were sending talent to the Yankees while refusing to deal with the Sox, I would label them jerks.

Jjav829
08-01-2005, 02:30 AM

Exactly. From the sounds of it, Kenny tried everything he could try and more in an effort to improve this team. He wasn't sitting back just saying, "We have the best team. We don't need to do anything." In the end, there were no deals to be made.

Hopefully the waiver period changes some teams minds and we're able to make an improvement through waivers.

Jjav829
08-01-2005, 02:36 AM
In a way, I am glad the Kenny held on to McCarthy and Anderson. Even though this has been a good year, we still need to think about the future.

Thats what makes the Cardinals and Braves so good every year. They field a contending team almost every year. We need to start doing that too.

The future is now. If there is any deal to be made through waivers that significantly improves this team, Kenny should still trade McCarthy and/or Anderson.

And last I checked, the Cardinals and Braves haven't exactly been pumping out the World Series championships. There's a difference between being a consistently good team and being a championship team.

DarkCloudDropo
08-01-2005, 09:21 AM
Exactly. From the sounds of it, Kenny tried everything he could try and more in an effort to improve this team. He wasn't sitting back just saying, "We have the best team. We don't need to do anything." In the end, there were no deals to be made.

Hopefully the waiver period changes some teams minds and we're able to make an improvement through waivers.

It seems I was completely misunderstood in my initial post.

How did you get the idea that i was saying Kenny didn't make a deal because he felt "We have the best team. We don't need to do anything."?
I was praising him for not FORCING a trade JUST to make a deal! For him being aware that (not withstanding BatmanZoSo's comment) he doesn't have to give in to outrageous demands from other gm's just so he could say he did something.

I believe the earlier version of Kenny Williams WOULD have forced a move. I was trying to express my appreciation for the fact he didn't and that is ALL this thread was sopposed to be about.

harwar
08-01-2005, 10:00 AM
For what its worth ..Yesterday on BBTN,Buster Olney(who?) said that KW offered McCarthy,Marte,& Crede,along with a low minor leaguer to fla. for burnett and they still said no.
They said he was desperate to make a trade with tampa also.
I would be shocked if KW didn't find some tricky way to get what he wants before sept. 1st.

Flight #24
08-01-2005, 10:09 AM
Gang:

Remember trading isn't over yet, you still have the waiver transactions and you have 30 days to pull them off. Me thinks Tampa Bay for one will be moving some guys for prospects.

Lip

I might be alone here, but I don't see how Huff, Baez, and/or Lugo make it through waivers. Someone will claim them, so it won't be the Sox who get them.

Mickster
08-01-2005, 10:49 AM
I might be alone here, but I don't see how Huff, Baez, and/or Lugo make it through waivers. Someone will claim them, so it won't be the Sox who get them.

I agree completely. The only players that are generally moved after the 7/31 trade deadline are players with large salaries with many years remaining (think Larry Walker w/ St. Louis).

RedHeadPaleHoser
08-01-2005, 11:32 AM
Gang:

Lip

Like everything else, this "trade deadline" is played up so morons, like ESPN, can devote two hours of Kruk's bulbous head on camera. Just because KW didn't do anything in July doesn't mean it can't still happen. But, if nothing does happen, it's because he's happy with what he alreadty has...as am I.

fquaye149
08-01-2005, 12:01 PM

How did you get the idea that i was saying Kenny didn't make a deal because he felt "We have the best team. We don't need to do anything."?
I was praising him for not FORCING a trade JUST to make a deal! For him being aware that (not withstanding BatmanZoSo's comment) he doesn't have to give in to outrageous demands from other gm's just so he could say he did something.

I believe the earlier version of Kenny Williams WOULD have forced a move. I was trying to express my appreciation for the fact he didn't and that is ALL this thread was sopposed to be about.

Exactly...I was wondering why people were taking it to mean that Kenny didn't want to make a trade.

He realized the price was way to high...

I know a lot of you were slobbering for Burnett...but when Kenny shipped ****ing Joe Crede, 2 High Prospects and Marte for Burnett and Lowell...and we had a ****ty fielding 3B hitting .240 with equal pop to Joe and a 3 month rental who put up a mid 4.00 ERA in the NL and had nothing to show for it next year after a first round bow out (because Burnett's really not that great) and one less lefty out of the pen...I wouldn't be too happy.

As for the D-rays deal...maybe Kenny was just too stingy about the future...but I know a few teams were trying to deal for Baez and Huff and nothing got done. And of course, we all know LaMar's a moron..

but stupid Kenny is just too afraid to make a big deal with top prospects...just ask JRIG and Jeremyb1

ps: I know no one's saying Kenny's afraid to make a deal. But what exactly are you impyling if you're criticizing his deadline "inaction"? Because it would have taken a big big price to land anyone else and Kenny has shown he's willing to pay a big big price (as long as the price is not INSANE, chuck lamar)

santo=dorf
08-01-2005, 12:05 PM
Gang:

Lip

I higly doubt the White Sox will get a chance on either Huff or Baez considering the Red Sox's interest in them, and the Yankees will probably claim them as well to block the Red Sox making a move.

Jjav829
08-01-2005, 12:39 PM

Here's what you said:

Thank you for not going crazy in your attempts to better this team. I am so glad to know you realized you already have the best team and found no good reason to sell our future out.

The way I read that is that you were saying KW realized we were already the best team so there was no reason to go all out in trying to make a move.

My response was that he did do as much as he possibly could to make a trade. From all reports, Kenny was one of the most aggressive GMs in trying to make a move. He seemed to be more than willing to sell away some of the future to improve the team for now. The problem was that the morons he was dealing with wanted players off the current roster and not just minor leaguers. KW was willing to trade a guy like McCarthy to improve the team. He wasn't willing to trade Garland or Buehrle to improve the team, though if you're trading one of those guys, you aren't really improving the team unless you're getting someone like Pedro or Clemens in return. Those guys weren't available. The guys who were available were hardly worth trading Buehrle, Garland or Garcia to get.

DarkCloudDropo
08-01-2005, 12:42 PM
Here's what you said:

The way I read that is that you were saying KW realized we were already the best team so there was no reason to go all out in trying to make a move.

My response was that he did do as much as he possibly could to make a trade. From all reports, Kenny was one of the most aggressive GMs in trying to make a move. He seemed to be more than willing to sell away some of the future to improve the team for now. The problem was that the morons he was dealing with wanted players off the current roster and not just minor leaguers. KW was willing to trade a guy like McCarthy to improve the team. He wasn't willing to trade Garland or Buehrle to improve the team, though if you're trading one of those guys, you aren't really improving the team unless you're getting someone like Pedro or Clemens in return. Those guys weren't available. The guys who were available were hardly worth trading Buehrle, Garland or Garcia to get.

Sure, just ignore the rest and take one sentence out of context.

did you see the following sentence? " At a time when there wasn't much to be had you weren't tempted to make a big trade just for it's own sake.", or just stop reading at that point?

Jjav829
08-01-2005, 12:48 PM
Sure, just ignore the rest and take one sentence out of context.

did you see the following sentence? " At a time when there wasn't much to be had you weren't tempted to make a big trade just for it's own sake.", or just stop reading at that point?

I took those as two separate statements. One that he realized he has the best team so he didn't sell out the future in an effort to improve the team. The other that Kenny didn't decide to make a trade just to make a trade, meaning selling something from the current roster as opposed to the future. If that's not how you meant it, then my apologies. That's just how I read it.

Lip Man 1
08-01-2005, 01:04 PM
Did anyone see this comment in the papers today?

General manager Ken Williams said the Sox were close to landing "something inpactful" that was killed by an opposing team's ownership group.

The Southtown said it was A.J. Burnett that Williams was talking about and that the deal was killed because the Florida owners insisted the Sox take Mike Lowell.

Lip

Hagan
08-01-2005, 01:09 PM
We could have improved our team but I like the addition of Geoff. This is going to give our starters some rest for the playoffs and it allowed us to put willie and gload in the minors so we could bring up adkins who can eat up innings and help our starters arms out.

DarkCloudDropo
08-01-2005, 01:10 PM
I took those as two separate statements. One that he realized he has the best team so he didn't sell out the future in an effort to improve the team. The other that Kenny didn't decide to make a trade just to make a trade, meaning selling something from the current roster as opposed to the future. If that's not how you meant it, then my apologies. That's just how I read it.

Not a big deal. I just wanted to make it clear what I meant. I just wanted this to be a positive thread about Kenny and how he handled the trading period.

Rooney4Prez56
08-01-2005, 04:12 PM
While I would've liked to see more pop added to the offense, I am still confident that this is the team to beat. I think Kenny Williams has done a great job this year...and there is still time to make a move.

Tragg
08-01-2005, 04:21 PM
Per his stats, Blum is a much better hitter from the left side of the plate. That is good.

kitekrazy
08-01-2005, 04:39 PM
It's great we didn't see the annual trade for cork to stop the Titanic from sinking.

lowesox
08-01-2005, 05:17 PM
It still might happen. I have a feeling that a lot of clubs that think they're in the race today are going to get real negotiable in the next 2-3 weeks.

A NOTE ON GUARDADO... MLB radio quoted an annonymous GM that the M's were asking more for Guardado than he'd be willing to pay for ANY player in the majors. Pretty scary.

In glad we had no part in that, and I'm glad none of our top competitors did either.