PDA

View Full Version : guys who might clear a waiver trade

Domeshot17
07-31-2005, 06:03 PM
As teams begin to fall out of contention here is guys who may clear waivers because of their salaries

Ken Griffey JR
Kevin Millwood
Mike Sweeney
Kerry Wood
Moises Alou

That is just off hand I will look into it a little more after Dinner, however, I could see a deal being made on waivers for a few of those guys. Especially Griffey, think many teams are going to risk taking on that kind of money to block a trade? Him or Moises could be this years Larry Walker

TheOldRoman
07-31-2005, 06:08 PM
http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_115135.jpg
"I hear Chicago is nice this time of year. Make it happen, Kenny."

If KW wasn't looking at Griffey before, I'm sure he is now. It would have been much easier to just trade a prospect for a left handed bat, but due to certain GM's mental handicaps, nothing could get done. I am not foolish enough to think KW thinks our offense is just incredible and can't be improved. I wants to improve the offense. Deep down inside of him, he needs to improve the offense.

Griffey's contract is big, but it's not horrible like others from his time were (Helton, Giambi, Blowsa). He is owed $12.5 mil a year for the next three years, but half of it is deferred. I don't know which prospects of ours would clear waivers, but the Reds will dump Griffey for almost anything. If we were somehow able to get a couple top prospects to them, Im sure they could pick up close to half of the deal. Kenny will look at it, he needs to get a bat still.

Tragg
07-31-2005, 06:12 PM
Griffey's the only one of that bunch that interests me.

SABRSox
07-31-2005, 06:26 PM
Griffey's the only one of that bunch that interests me.

I would be interested in Mike Sweeney, but I know we can't take on his contract.

ThatGuyOnTheL
07-31-2005, 06:30 PM
OOOH! OOOH! CARRIE WOODS! CARRIE WOODS!!!!!11111

chaerulez
07-31-2005, 06:40 PM
I think Alou is only signed for next year at around 5-6 million, so I doubt he would clear waivers.

Banix12
07-31-2005, 06:41 PM
Thinking of a couple other names that could clear, most absolutely worthless.

Sammy Sosa
Mike Piazza
Phil Nevin
Jaime Moyer
Jim Thome
Eric Milton
Kevin Brown

I also wouldn't be shocked if a couple of the older CF like Bernie Williams and Steve Finley get passed through

i wouldn't call them locks to not get claimed but I also figure Aaron Boone, Jason Johnson, and Rondell White could possibly get through. But their salaries aren't huge.

DickAllen72
07-31-2005, 06:54 PM
But the other question is: Which of our players would clear waivers to complete a deal for one of these? :?:

Brian26
07-31-2005, 07:21 PM
But the other question is: Which of our players would clear waivers to complete a deal for one of these? :?:

I'm not certain, but I don't think minor leaguers have to clear waivers. So..a nice minor league package might do the trick.

Brian26
07-31-2005, 07:22 PM

Man, I had to do a double-take on that. I can't believe how much Jr looks like his dad now.

Cowhead418
07-31-2005, 07:38 PM
I think we have a great shot at landing Griffey through the waiver line. The Reds have a plethora of OFs and they would love to unload Griffey.

Clembasbal
07-31-2005, 07:40 PM
These are not guys on waivers are they? If they aren't, don't post names because it only brings hope to me.

Wait at least until you know people either cleared waivers or sent out on waivers.

Domeshot17
07-31-2005, 08:21 PM
I was just saying guys I thought might clear not even for us just in general.

I agree on Griffey, another thing Griffey has is playoff experience and leadership, could you imagine what he could teach guys like Rowand and Crede with their Swings. I mean, its almost a lock that the day he retires he will become a hitting coach ( Griffey ) and he is a club house guy from everything I have heard. Another idea would be say we deal chris young for griffey, Griffey gets dealt for a PTBNL, and we name him after the season

Whitesox4ever
07-31-2005, 08:39 PM
With that in mind, here's a rundown of possible August trade candidates:

Boston Red Sox: OF Manny Ramirez

New York Yankees: OF/IF Tony Womack

Baltimore Orioles: RHP Sidney Ponson; LHP Steve Kline

Tampa Bay Devil Rays: 1B Travis Lee; SS Alex Gonzalez

Chicago White Sox: RHP Jose Contreras

Minnesota Twins: LHP J.C. Romero; RHP Joe Mays

Cleveland Indians: RHP Bob Wickman; RHP Kevin Millwood

Detroit Tigers: DH Dmitri Young; OF Rondell White

Kansas City: 1B Mike Sweeney; RHP Jose Lima; OF Terrence Long

Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim: 1B Casey Kotchman

Seattle Mariners: LHP Jamie Moyer; LHP Eddie Guardado

Atlanta Braves: RHP Dan Kolb

Philadelphia Phillies: 1B Jim Thome; LHP Billy Wagner; RHP Ugueth Urbina; 1B Ryan Howard

Milwaukee Brewers: 1B Lyle Overbay

Cincinnati Reds: OF Ken Griffey Jr.; 1B Sean Casey; SS Rich Aurilia; LHP Eric Milton; C Jason LaRue Pittsburgh Pirates: LHP Mark Redman; RHP Jose Mesa

spiffie
07-31-2005, 09:48 PM
I can't imagine most of those guys not getting a pre-emptive claim put in by someone below us, even if they risk getting stuck with the guy (like when the Yankees ended up with Canseco) because the other team doesn't pull him back. Other than total stiffs (Ponson) or guys who have such enormous contracts (Ramirez) that they are too much of a risk, anyone else some other contender will put a claim on them unless the trade is to a team in the middle of the pack. For the Sox, Cards, Angels, or Red Sox, it will be difficult.

And if anyone thinks Ryan Howard would clear waivers...I'm just not seeing that.

Palehose13
07-31-2005, 09:51 PM
I can't imagine most of those guys not getting a pre-emptive claim put in by someone below us, even if they risk getting stuck with the guy (like when the Yankees ended up with Canseco) because the other team doesn't pull him back. Other than total stiffs (Ponson) or guys who have such enormous contracts (Ramirez) that they are too much of a risk, anyone else some other contender will put a claim on them unless the trade is to a team in the middle of the pack. For the Sox, Cards, Angels, or Red Sox, it will be difficult.

And if anyone thinks Ryan Howard would clear waivers...I'm just not seeing that.

I don't see Overbay clearing waivers either.

Optipessimism
07-31-2005, 10:59 PM
"I hear Chicago is nice this time of year. Make it happen, Kenny."

If KW wasn't looking at Griffey before, I'm sure he is now.

I'm sure he isn't.

Optipessimism
07-31-2005, 11:02 PM

Philadelphia Phillies: 1B Jim Thome; LHP Billy Wagner; RHP Ugueth Urbina; 1B Ryan Howard

Cincinnati Reds: OF Ken Griffey Jr.; 1B Sean Casey; SS Rich Aurilia; LHP Eric Milton; C Jason LaRue Pittsburgh Pirates: LHP Mark Redman; RHP Jose Mesa

Only a couple of the guys on that list are likely to go on waivers:
Griffey, Thome, Sweeney (though I doubt it), Ponson

I'd also add Nevin and Chan Hoe Contract on that list too.

Jjav829
07-31-2005, 11:25 PM

What kind of half-assed list is this? Lyle Overbay clearing waivers? Ha. Billy Wagner? Ryan freaking Howard? Casey Kotchman? What an awful list. Then again, it's not like it takes much to become a writer for mlb.com.

Optipessimism
07-31-2005, 11:33 PM
What kind of half-assed list is this? Lyle Overbay clearing waivers? Ha. Billy Wagner? Ryan freaking Howard? Casey Kotchman? What an awful list. Then again, it's not like it takes much to become a writer for mlb.com.

Haha.

Overbay clears waivers when pigs willingly fly into kitchens, lop off sides of their bodies, and cook themselves for breakfast.

Region Sox
08-01-2005, 01:13 AM
Griffey would be nice- I dreamt that Friday night. Then people were mad that Rowand was let go. It was Friday night after I went to the Brewers/Giants game.

Jjav829
08-01-2005, 01:17 AM
Griffey would be nice- I dreamt that Friday night. Then people were mad that Rowand was let go. It was Friday night after I went to the Brewers/Giants game.

I just hope the Reds come around on trading Griffey. It's very likely that Griffey will clear waivers. It's just a matter of whether or not the Reds are finally going to decide that they are willing to trade him. I really hope they do.

Banix12
08-01-2005, 03:43 AM
You know, in this current transaction environment where nobody seemed to be able to get a trade done and so many teams mathematically still in it I don't see many players making it through waivers without a claim.

Only the most rediculous contracts and the most worthless players are going to get clear. There are going to be a lot more claims than usual.

Optipessimism
08-01-2005, 04:23 AM
You know, in this current transaction environment where nobody seemed to be able to get a trade done and so many teams mathematically still in it I don't see many players making it through waivers without a claim.

Only the most rediculous contracts and the most worthless players are going to get clear. There are going to be a lot more claims than usual.

Yep. And it doesn't matter either because even if good players were tried to put through waivers we'd be the 14th team to have a shot if it is an AL player or the 30th team to have a shot if it is an NL player. So, even if Griffey (the only high salaried player available worth a crap) were available, the Yanks, having not traded for a CF, could take him for probably nothing. We're sure not picking up Thome's contract, so that leaves our chances of getting somebody useful as zero, zip, and zilch.

Hooray.

harwar
08-01-2005, 07:17 AM
It would have to be a 3 team deal.
The reds & White Sox decide to trade,then you get a team like the rockies to claim Griffey.
Colorado then trades Griffey to the White Sox for prospects.
White Sox get Griffey,reds get whoever we trade for him,rockies get prospects from the reds & the White Sox farm system.
Or maybe i've just had way too much coffee.

Flight #24
08-01-2005, 09:07 AM
The reds & White Sox decide to trade,then you get a team like the rockies to claim Griffey.
White Sox get Griffey,reds get whoever we trade for him,rockies get prospects from the reds & the White Sox farm system.

I don't believe that's possible. if Colorado claims him, only Colorado can trade for him. If they want to flip him, then THEY have to put him on waivers, allowing another team (NY) to claim him.

Be clear - guy who will absolutely NOT clear waivers include:
1)Young/cheap guys - Overbay, Howard, etc.
2)Difference makers who are pending FAs - Wagner, Burnett, etc.
3)Almost anyone else who's a pending FA
4)Solid players who aren't making too ridiculous $$$ and have 2-3 year deals

The list of guys who'll likely clear and who can make a difference is fairly short: Griffey, Helton and their ilk. Players with massive, mega-deals who aren't currently performing like stars. I doubt even Manny gets through, I can see the Spankees grabbing him just to tweak the BoSox. Maybe he can play CF for them!

I would not be surprised to see Cinci get a decent return on Griffey. He may be the only available difference maker, and since no team made a significant improvement, they can play him up as the one big possible move for ANY team.

BeviBall!
08-01-2005, 09:12 AM
Thome is the most likely... and lord knows, he'd come here in an instant.

Tragg
08-01-2005, 09:36 AM

That wouldn't be smart, because we'd give up players AND pay his salary. He comes for basically free if you eat his salary, which we probably could have done last week.

The Rockies getting prospects out of this would be getting something for absolutely nothing. Maybe they should get an "organizational minor leaguer" as an administrative fee.

Stroker Ace
08-01-2005, 11:37 PM
Thinking of a couple other names that could clear, most absolutely worthless.

Sammy Sosa
Mike Piazza
Phil Nevin
Jaime Moyer
Jim Thome
Eric Milton
Kevin Brown

I also wouldn't be shocked if a couple of the older CF like Bernie Williams and Steve Finley get passed through

i wouldn't call them locks to not get claimed but I also figure Aaron Boone, Jason Johnson, and Rondell White could possibly get through. But their salaries aren't huge.It doesn'tmatter if scammin sammy clears waivers, because who the hell is gonna want him.

DrGiggles
08-01-2005, 11:43 PM
That half-a$$ed list is from mlb.com, go rip on them.

08-02-2005, 08:34 AM
Thome is the most likely... and lord knows, he'd come here in an instant.

IF he is healthy, he would make a great DH replacement for Frank. He LOVES hitting at the Cell

Flight #24
08-02-2005, 09:39 AM
IF he is healthy, he would make a great DH replacement for Frank. He LOVES hitting at the Cell

You'd better get a ton of cash with him. He's owed 12.5M-14M-14M from 2006-2008, and he's been hurt all year (and IIRC was hurt for some of last year too).

obviously he's a difference maker as a bat if healthy, but that's a ton of $$$ for a possibly DL'd guy.

bennyw41
08-02-2005, 10:14 AM
What about Lowell?

GAsoxfan
08-02-2005, 10:16 AM
Millwood would be nice, but there's no way he clears waivers.