PDA

View Full Version : Chicago's other team: just plain mediocre

cheeses_h_rice
07-31-2005, 04:28 PM
Getting their asses handed to them 11-2 right now by a similarly mediocre Diamondbacks team.

On their way to being a whopping 1 game above .500.

Tell me again, why do they get so much press and attention?

Dan H
07-31-2005, 05:13 PM
Getting their asses handed to them 11-2 right now by a similarly mediocre Diamondbacks team.

And they are very fortunate they didn't get swept in this four game series.

I don't know why they get the attention other that the Tribune owns them. Their fans are deluding themselves if they think this team has a chance at the Wild Card. Nomar and Wood coming back this week. So what? This is a .500 team at best. Next year will make 98 years. Nothing like hope springing eternal.

C-Dawg
07-31-2005, 05:16 PM

Aw, man, and I needed something to kill a few hours before the Sox are on tonight. I'm turning the TV on right now!

:bandance:

Foulke You
07-31-2005, 05:33 PM
And they are very fortunate they didn't get swept in this four game series.

I don't know why they get the attention other that the Tribune owns them. Their fans are deluding themselves if they think this team has a chance at the Wild Card. Nomar and Wood coming back this week. So what? This is a .500 team at best. Next year will make 98 years. Nothing like hope springing eternal.
Normally Dan, I would agree that this Cub team has no chance but if you look at how DREADFUL the NL is this year, you'll see that most of the teams fighting it out for the Wild Card with the Cubs are just like the lovable losers. Mediocre. The NL has truly become the AAAA league and remarkably enough, despite being 1 over .500, they still have an average shot to make the post season. Hopefully, the Nationals or Astros will do us all a favor and hang on to that Wild Card spot but I won't feel 100% comfortable until there is more daylight between the Wild Card leader and the Cubs. A healthy Nomar and Lawton in the everyday lineup will certainly help the Cubs offense. I'm thinking 86 wins might actually win the Wild Card in the NL, let's hope the Cubs won't get there.

As long as we're on the subject of the NL being awful, has anyone taken a look at the NL West standings? The D'backs are 2 under .500 and right in the thick of the division race! Good lord, if the White Sox were in that division, I think our magic number would be at 4 or 5 right now.:D:

MarySwiss
07-31-2005, 05:55 PM
As long as we're on the subject of the NL being awful, has anyone taken a look at the NL West standings? The D'backs are 2 under .500 and right in the thick of the division race! Good lord, if the White Sox were in that division, I think our magic number would be at 4 or 5 right now.:D:

D'Backs are 1/2 game back at present, and the Padres are getting trounced right now. Like I said in an earlier post, it works for me!

I am SO looking forward to buying a round when you guys come out to Arizona for Games 3 & 4! And stranger things have happened!

:gulp:

Hitmen77
07-31-2005, 05:56 PM

I agree - the Cubs would essentially be the Detroit Tigers in our division, and yet if you read the papers w/out looking at the standing, you'd think the Cubs were the ones on the verge of greatness and the Sox were fading. Here are the reasons why the press covers them this way:

1) As far as the Tribune goes, it's simple: they own the Cubs. It is in their interest to shamelessly promote their product as much as possible and to downplay the quality of the competition.

2) A 2nd reason for the Cubune and a main reason for other media outlets: They've bought into the idea that being pro-Cubs and anti-Sox is better for their profits. They want to pander to idiot Cub fans because of their belief that "nobody" cares about the Sox.

3) I think alot of the reporters in town have simply decided when they came to Chicago to become Cub fans and don't like the Sox. They can't hide their bias in their reporting.

rwcescato
07-31-2005, 08:40 PM

And why are they on sunday night baseball 3 out of 4 weeks. I don't get it. I guess they will win the simulated World Series this year.
Rich

Clembasbal
07-31-2005, 08:42 PM

What are you talking about the D'backs are in 1st place in the West, they are an incredible team and they are most likely going to win the WS. (At a 52-55 clip currently)

C-Dawg
07-31-2005, 10:36 PM
And why are they on sunday night baseball 3 out of 4 weeks. I don't get it.

And even tonight, ESPN spent almost a half-inning talking about the Cubs, the imminent returns of Nomar and Woods, and the great likelihood of the Cubs making the wild card this year. During the Sox-Orioles game, for crying out loud! :mad:

Lip Man 1
07-31-2005, 10:43 PM
In 1994 at the close of the season due to the labor impasse the Texas Rangers were in first place in the division...THEY WERE TEN GAMES UNDER .500!

Unless they got very hot the final six weeks they would have been the first team in MLB history to make the post season with a losing record! They also would have been the Sox first round opponent.

Lip

Kogs35
08-01-2005, 12:16 AM
And even tonight, ESPN spent almost a half-inning talking about the Cubs, the imminent returns of Nomar and Woods, and the great likelihood of the Cubs making the wild card this year. During the Sox-Orioles game, for crying out loud! :mad:

how do u expect espn to prepare for the next 2 weeks when they show cubs-mets and cubs-cards? prepare when not on air showing a whitesox game?

jake27
08-01-2005, 12:55 AM
you would think that the best team in baseball would get the leading story in their towns sports segment. well today was a LOT more cubs, mostly because of sandburg in the HOF, which i guess i understand. but the flubs have still gotten more talk on the news and the radio. i was listening to the score and they were saying how they would talk white sox at 1. when 1 rolled around, they talked white sox for about 15 minutes and went back to cubs (this was still before the lawton trade). but when the sox are in the playoffs and cubs arent, we will have the headlines. its a shame we will have to wait til that time tho

Hitmen77
08-01-2005, 10:41 AM
In 1994 at the close of the season due to the labor impasse the Texas Rangers were in first place in the division...THEY WERE TEN GAMES UNDER .500!

Unless they got very hot the final six weeks they would have been the first team in MLB history to make the post season with a losing record! They also would have been the Sox first round opponent.

Lip

I actually wouldn't mind if MLB changed their rules so that no team under .500 can make the playoffs. If a team finishes first in its division and is under .500, then that division would not be represented in the playoffs and instead a 2nd wild card would be awarded in the league.

Ol' No. 2
08-01-2005, 11:08 AM
you would think that the best team in baseball would get the leading story in their towns sports segment. well today was a LOT more cubs, mostly because of sandburg in the HOF, which i guess i understand. but the flubs have still gotten more talk on the news and the radio. i was listening to the score and they were saying how they would talk white sox at 1. when 1 rolled around, they talked white sox for about 15 minutes and went back to cubs (this was still before the lawton trade). but when the sox are in the playoffs and cubs arent, we will have the headlines. its a shame we will have to wait til that time thoAre you new in town?:redneck

TheOldRoman
08-01-2005, 12:08 PM
Normally Dan, I would agree that this Cub team has no chance but if you look at how DREADFUL the NL is this year, you'll see that most of the teams fighting it out for the Wild Card with the Cubs are just like the lovable losers. Mediocre. The NL has truly become the AAAA league and remarkably enough, despite being 1 over .500, they still have an average shot to make the post season. Hopefully, the Nationals or Astros will do us all a favor and hang on to that Wild Card spot but I won't feel 100% comfortable until there is more daylight between the Wild Card leader and the Cubs. A healthy Nomar and Lawton in the everyday lineup will certainly help the Cubs offense. I'm thinking 86 wins might actually win the Wild Card in the NL, let's hope the Cubs won't get there.

Don't worry about it. The Astros are starting to run away with it. They won't fall apart like they did in 03 and subject us to the loveable losers in the playoffs. The Cubs are a very bad team, and I don't think they would win the wildcard even if the Astros weren't where they are. The Cubs have been spinning their wheels the entire season, and the Astors are finally playing great ball after the horrible start. They will continue the unbelievable run like they did the second half of last year. Don't worry.

I have said all along that the Cubs are a 75 win team this year. That means that more they win now, the more epic their September failure. Lee has singlehandedly won them at least 10 games, and he is already starting to rapidly cool down. I will bet that he doesn't finish first in any of the triple crown categories.

PatK
08-01-2005, 12:30 PM
LOL@ getting a healthy Nomar and Carrie Would back.

Neither one of them has been healthy the last 2 years.

The way Nomar was playing when he got hurt, the Cubs would be better off with Neifi Perez.