PDA

View Full Version : FALSE RUMOR: White Sox get Chad Tracy

patbooyah
07-31-2005, 04:22 PM
per my little brother who got it per ESPN radio...

EDIT: To spare everyone the effort of reading this thread, the jist is that somebody(i think jason stark) on ESPN said that the sox traded for chad tracy, but i think he said chad tracy from san diego. so it seems now, more than an hour later, that he just said the wrong name instead of geoff blum.

TimChamp
07-31-2005, 04:24 PM
per ESPN radio...

I knew I heard that right earlier when I was listening to the radio, I just wasn't sure if I had heard it right because it doesn't really make a lot of sense??? Does that mean Gload is gone as well as Willie?

--Champ out

nedlug
Who's that? Where's he from?

Sorry for the ignorance...

Brian26
I guess he'll be our first baseman next year. Wow, this came out of nowhere.

patbooyah
07-31-2005, 04:25 PM
Who's that? Where's he from?

Sorry for the ignorance...

my little brother. :)

Brian26
He's got 14 hrs and batting near .300 in limited playing time.

PAPChiSox729
Yeah, this was really unexpected. What is going on?

:?:

Mickster
I guess he'll be our first baseman next year. Wow, this came out of nowhere.

My thoughts exactly. Young, decent, some power. Deal actually came out of nowhere. :?:

samram
07-31-2005, 04:26 PM
If true, he's a nice addition, although he seems to fill a spot that's pretty deep already.

BridgePortNative
what did we have to give up to get him? Not to shabby of a player, offensivesly speaking

soxwon
yep he was taken out of the dbacks lineup

Foulke You
07-31-2005, 04:27 PM
Tracy played 3B this year for the Dbacks. This could be the Crede insurance policy that KW was seeking when he lost out on Randa and Graff.

skobabe8
???

nedlug
Tracy played 3B this year for the Dbacks. This could be the Crede insurance policy that KW was seeking when he lost out on Randa and Graff.

Geoff Blum...?

Is Tracy LH?

DVsoxfan
sweet that guy can rake

samram
07-31-2005, 04:28 PM
yep he was taken out of the dbacks lineup

That could be because the Dbacks are up nine and he's just getting a breather. I don't know.

shaunburnette
07-31-2005, 04:28 PM
is there truth to this trade?

Baby Fisk
07-31-2005, 04:29 PM
Chad Tracy. (http://arizona.diamondbacks.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/team/player.jsp?player_id=429710)

DaleJRFan
per Mike Dahl who got it per ESPN radio...

I called this last week and got laughed out of the "Whats the Score"

I hope this is true. Tracy is a bad mofo... He killed us when the DBacks were in town.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55068

Whitesox4ever
I think the ESPN guy made a mistake because he said we got Tracy from SD

JRIG
07-31-2005, 04:30 PM
I'll move this back if we get any kind of confirmation.

Brian26
07-31-2005, 04:31 PM
ESPN TV has nothing to say regarding this.

TimChamp
is there truth to this trade?

Well, I could swear I heard it earlier at the 3:00 SportsCenter Update on ESPN 1000, but I was just too shocked to remember if it actually happened or I was in a sleep-deprived-induced fantasy/hallucination from all this trade talk....

--Champ out to try to get some sleep

Cowhead418
How come BBTN hasn't reported this?

krohnjw
From whitesox.com
Despite several trade rumors, when the clock struck 3 p.m. CT Sunday, the White Sox had added only utility player Geoff Blum in a trade with San Diego.

Would KW make a trade and not have it reported anywhere?

Rocklive99
07-31-2005, 04:32 PM
I think the ESPN guy made a mistake because he said we got Tracy from SD

This tells me it was some ESPN Radio mental midget's mistake, probably trying to say Blumm

nedlug
07-31-2005, 04:33 PM
Chad Tracy. (http://arizona.diamondbacks.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/team/player.jsp?player_id=429710)

WOW. .300, with 14 jacks, and LH'ed. Looks like a poor-man's (smart-man's?) Huff!

Foulke You
07-31-2005, 04:33 PM
Geoff Blum...?

Is Tracy LH?
I agree, Blum is also supposed to be the Crede backup plan. I'm just theorizing here. Perhaps it is only a rumor. I don't know what they'd do with Blum AND Tracy, unless they planned on getting rid of Willie and also Gload.

krohnjw
07-31-2005, 04:34 PM
I would be happy to see this be true (especially looking at the possible departure of Konerko), but I don't forsee this as being so. ESPN and whitesox.com are not reporting the move yet.

Cowhead418
07-31-2005, 04:34 PM
So let's say we DO get Tracy and Blum. Adkins was just recently called up so who are the odd men out?

Mr. White Sox
07-31-2005, 04:35 PM
I would be happy to see this be true (especially looking at the possible departure of Konerko), but I don't forsee this as being so. ESPN and whitesox.com are not reporting the move yet.

I doubt this happened, although this would be a really nice move.

patbooyah
This tells me it was some ESPN Radio mental midget's mistake, probably trying to say Blumm

that is quite possible. i'm sorry to all if this doesn't end up being true, but it was said on ESPN radio.

DSpivack
I'll believe it when I see it.

mmmmmbeeer
07-31-2005, 04:36 PM
If this indeed happened, this is an absolutely excellent pickup by KW....main reason, Tracy hits .245 against LHP but .305 against RHP. He's a guy that will be in the lineup against RH, which the Sox have shown great difficulty in hitting.

skobabe8
what the hell...:angry:

Ol' No. 2
So let's say we DO get Tracy and Blum. Adkins was just recently called up so who are the odd men out?Adkins called up? When did this happen?

Rocklive99
07-31-2005, 04:37 PM
that is quite possible. i'm sorry to all if this doesn't end up being true, but it was said on ESPN radio.

Not your fault, I'd post it as well if I heard, and it's still possible, these deals still come out for at least an hour (I think they need approval and make sure everything matches up), but it sounds like it might be an ESPN mistake

Jjav829
I don't believe we got Tracy. KW probably didn't do jack ****. :angry:

soxfan123
did they say who we gave back in return?

Cowhead418
07-31-2005, 04:38 PM
Here is a possible idea. Arizona has the worst bullpen in the MLB. They badly need bullpen help. Now that we have Blum we can trade Willie. Adkins was called up recently. Maybe Vizcaino and Harris were shipped off to Arizona for Tracy? He was taken out of the lineup as well so we'll see.

NSSoxFan
I don't believe we got Tracy. KW probably didn't do jack ****. :angry:

Jav, chill.

:cool:

Rocklive99
Adkins called up? When did this happen?

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55255

Mr. White Sox
07-31-2005, 04:39 PM
Here is a possible idea. Arizona has the worst bullpen in the MLB. They badly need bullpen help. Now that we have Blum we can trade Willie. Adkins was called up recently. Maybe Vizcaino and Harris was shipped off to Arizona for Tracy? He was taken out of the lineup as well so we'll see.

No. Way. If you add Sean Tracey into that deal, then maybe it happened.

Ol' No. 2
Not your fault, I'd post it as well if I heard, and it's still possible, these deals still come out for at least an hour (I think they need approval and make sure everything matches up), but it sounds like it might be an ESPN mistakeTracey AND Blum don't make sense. Unless Kenny flipped Blum to the Snakes along with someone else to get Tracey.

Jjav829
Jav, chill.

:cool:

I'll chill if I see that KW did something of any significance. Until then, I'm pissed.

But hey, at least if we lose in the playoffs, we can always spend the next 4 months thinking about what a bright future our prospects have, right? I mean that'll be fun. :rolleyes:

CYGarland20
07-31-2005, 04:40 PM
I don't believe we got Tracy. KW probably didn't do jack ****. :angry: Yeah, i can't wait till 2007 when McCarthy is in the starting rotation :rolleyes:

Rocklive99
07-31-2005, 04:40 PM
Last year's ESPN Scouting Report on Tracy just in case:

2004 Season

Chad Tracy was the last player cut in spring training, since Donnie Sadler's versatility was deemed more useful. But Tracy was called up April 21 after Roberto Alomar suffered a broken hand, and the rookie was inserted at third base to give the offense a boost. Tracy kept the job all year, as Shea Hillenbrand moved to first base after Richie Sexson's injury. After needing time to adjust to big league pitching, Tracy batted .293 with a .351 on-base percentage from July 1 through the end of the season.

Hitting

A .335 hitter in four minor league seasons, Tracy has a flat swing and keeps his hands inside the ball well, often going to left field. He stays balanced and has a quick stroke, allowing him to be a good contact hitter. He recognizes pitches well, drawing a decent number of walks, but does not generate much home-run power with his swing. The longball wasn't part of his minor league repertoire either, though he powered 70 doubles in the high minors in 2002 and 2003.

Baserunning & Defense

A first baseman until his last year in college, Tracy lacks range at third base. His reactions are slow and his footwork clumsy at times. He goes through periods where he struggles with his throws, often because of poor footwork. But Tracy has a strong work ethic and should improve defensively.

2005 Outlook

Arizona is committed to playing Tracy, considering he will be inexpensive as a second-year player. The only thing that has changed since the end of last season is where Tracy will play. With the signing of third baseman Troy Glaus, the Diamondbacks are planning to try Tracy at first base in 2005. He made steady progress and reached Triple-A Tucson over just three minor league seasons prior to 2004, so he could take another step forward in the new year. If his defense improves or he develops power, he could become a solid everyday player.

CHISOXFAN13
07-31-2005, 04:41 PM
I'll chill if I see that KW did something of any significance. Until then, I'm pissed.

But hey, at least if we lose in the playoffs, we can always spend the next 4 months thinking about what a bright future our prospects have, right? I mean that'll be fun. :rolleyes:

What did the Angels, A's, Red Sox and Yankees do?

But I guess they are superior to the Sox and didn't need to do anything either.

NSSoxFan

What do you want KW to do? I have 100% trust in him to make the right moves for this team. After all, we wouldn't be in a position to be so pissed if it wasn't for the job KW did assembling this team in the off-season. I mean come on, has KW been hesitant to pull the trigger on a trade? It sounds like you just want him to make a move just for the hell of it, which I know isn't the case.

SluggersAway
Jjav, you might need a time out. Trades are often not zero sum games, it is very difficult to get something for nothing. GM's are just not that stupid.

CHISOXFAN13
07-31-2005, 04:43 PM
To be fair to those who have started and posted in this thread, I also just heard the blowhole say we got Chad Tracy from San Diego for a minor leaguer.

This guy should be canned. Learn the damn rosters for Christ sake's.

SluggersAway
07-31-2005, 04:45 PM
Nothing to see here folks, go home, have a great night. Enjoy the sox on ESPN tonight.

Jjav829
07-31-2005, 04:46 PM
What did the Angels, A's, Red Sox and Yankees do?

But I guess they are superior to the Sox and didn't need to do anything either.

Your opponents not improving their teams is no excuse for not improving your own team. That's a bs excuse. This team is not so good that we can't be beat in the playoffs. Any improvement would have given us a better chance to win. We did nothing.

And FWIW, word is the Red Sox acquired J.C. Romero for Kevin Youkilis.

Pasqua's Posers
07-31-2005, 04:47 PM
chad tracy was removed

DaleJRFan
Your opponents not improving their teams is no excuse for not improving your own team. That's a bs excuse. This team is not so good that we can't be beat in the playoffs. Any improvement would have given us a better chance to win. We did nothing.

I'm with Jjav on this subject.

Soxzilla

Oh my gawd.

I fricken' hate the twins.

Jjav829
07-31-2005, 04:48 PM
What do you want KW to do? I have 100% trust in him to make the right moves for this team. After all, we wouldn't be in a position to be so pissed if it wasn't for the job KW did assembling this team in the off-season. I mean come on, has KW been hesitant to pull the trigger on a trade? It sounds like you just want him to make a move just for the hell of it, which I know isn't the case.

I wanted Aubrey Huff or another hitter. I don't have faith in Carl Everett. If Kenny and Jerry want to shock the hell out of me and go grab Griffey off the waiver wire, I'll take back every single thing I said about KW screwing up today. But I don't see that happening and I am not optimistic about acquiring impact players through the waiver wire.

CHISOXFAN13
07-31-2005, 04:49 PM

LOL, that should be enough for you to relax for now. You know that trades will continue to trickle even after the deadline. Takes some time for everything to become official.

And if you dont think Blum is an improvement over Willie Harris, then I don't know what to tell you.

CYGarland20

And FWIW, word is the Red Sox acquired J.C. Romero for Kevin Youkilis. I agree that we are not superior to the Red Sox, Angels and definitely the A's at this point. I'll give KW the benefit of the doubt, but if MCcarthy was the deal breaker, I am very disappointed. :(:

Ol' No. 2

And FWIW, word is the Red Sox acquired J.C. Romero for Kevin Youkilis.Actually, there's one good excuse. The asking prices were all too high.

IlliniSoxFan
07-31-2005, 04:50 PM
True, we should just do what Lamar asks for and deal the Rays Jon Garland for Baez, so the fans can be excited about a trade.

skobabe8
True, we should just do what Lamar asks for and deal the Rays Jon Garland for Baez, so the fans can be excited about a trade.

agreed.

santo=dorf

The market sucks. How many other trades were made today? Levine said KW was willing to dump the entire farm for Burnett but the Marlins wanted to hold on to him anyways.

It takes two to trade.

Christ, get a grip.

Brian26
07-31-2005, 04:51 PM

Dude, relax. KW was working his ass off trying to make something happen. If it doesn't make sense, it doesn't make sense. SF and Florida are morons. They could have taken a bundle for Schmidt or Burnett, but they didn't.

Jjav829
LOL, that should be enough for you to relax for now. You know that trades will continue to trickle even after the deadline. Takes some time for everything to become official.

And if you dont think Blum is an improvement over Willie Harris, then I don't know what to tell you.

Again, if a late trade comes in where we significantly improve the team, I'll take back what I said. But LaMar has already said Huff wasn't traded. I don't believe we actually got Tracy.

Yes, Blum is an improvement over Willie Harris. Big deal. If we get to the World Series, Blum might be a nice pinch hitter in the NL park. Otherwise I doubt he has much of an impact on the playoffs. Assuming Crede is healthy, Blum might have what, 3 at-bats in a series?

JRIG

This appears to not be true.

Whitesox4ever

I guess that Theo didnt know he made this trade since he was just on WEEI and said that they made no deals.

Also no mention of this on the twins site..

you are such a liar

santo=dorf
07-31-2005, 04:52 PM
I wanted Aubrey Huff or another hitter. I don't have faith in Carl Everett. If Kenny and Jerry want to shock the hell out of me and go grab Griffey off the waiver wire, I'll take back every single thing I said about KW screwing up today. But I don't see that happening and I am not optimistic about acquiring impact players through the waiver wire.

Isn't Huff still with the Rays? What does that say about Lamarr?

IT WAS A SELLERS' MARKET!!! :angry:

SluggersAway
07-31-2005, 04:52 PM
Having the best record in baseball so far this year has really turned Sox fans into spoiled brats. It is quite embarrassing.

What don't you all understand? Making trades is not a zero-sum game. You have to give in order to get. You can't just walk up to the player store and order an all-star off the menu. KW has made the decision that what he would have to give up is not worth what he'd get in return. This is very simple mathematics and a cost-benefit analysis. So far KW hasn't let us down so why not have a little faith?

Jjav829
07-31-2005, 04:54 PM
The market sucks. How many other trades were made today? Levine said KW was willing to dump the entire farm for Burnett but the Marlins wanted to hold on to him anyways.

It takes two to trade.

Christ, get a grip.

Don't tell me get a grip. I'm pissed. If you're fine with the team as is, good, I'm not. I'm not saying we can't win in the playoffs. I'm not saying we can't win the World Series as is. All I am saying is that KW missed a golden opportunity in what could be a tremendously special season.

Jjav829
07-31-2005, 04:55 PM
This appears to not be true.

That's what I get for believing Will Carroll.

Cowhead418
07-31-2005, 04:56 PM
Well Steve Phillips just said that the Yankees are the favorite for the pennant because no one else made a move. I'm shaking in my boots.

CYGarland20
Having the best record in baseball so far this year has really turned Sox fans into spoiled brats. It is quite embarrassing.

What don't you all understand? Making trades is not a zero-sum game. You have to give in order to get. You can't just walk up to the player store and order an all-star off the menu. KW has made the decision that what he would have to give up is not worth what he'd get in return. This is very simple mathematics and a cost-benefit analysis. So far KW hasn't let us down so why not have a little faith? Not winning the WS in 88 years, THAT's EMBARRASSING!!

NSSoxFan
Don't tell me get a grip. I'm pissed. If you're fine with the team as is, good, I'm not. I'm not saying we can't win in the playoffs. I'm not saying we can't win the World Series as is. All I am saying is that KW missed a golden opportunity in what could be a tremendously special season.

Jav, you don't have any idea of what trades were on the table and you're pissed at KW. In other words, you are listening to media outlets such as ESPN to get informed about 'potential trades'. Who know what was being asked of KW? I've heard rumors that teams were actually asking him for Garland and Buerhle!

What would you have done??

santo=dorf
The only teams that appear to be "out of it" are Tampa Bay, KC, Mariners, Reds, Pirates, and Rockies. Hardly any "golden" opportunities to make an improvement.

Why do some of you have your panties in such a bunch for the White Sox not making a "big" trade? :?:

CHISOXFAN13

Do you really think he didn't try? I mean, come on. We are talking about a GM who is the most aggressive and creative GM in the game.

Pissing on him for not doing something when yuo have no knowledge of the talks he had with others is laughable.

Cowhead418
07-31-2005, 04:57 PM
I think we all shouldn't reserve judgement on KW until we know exactly what happened and what the demands were.

Ol' No. 2
07-31-2005, 04:57 PM
Don't tell me get a grip. I'm pissed. If you're fine with the team as is, good, I'm not. I'm not saying we can't win in the playoffs. I'm not saying we can't win the World Series as is. All I am saying is that KW missed a golden opportunity in what could be a tremendously special season.What golden opportunity? I don't see any real difference-makers that were available. Guys like Huff and Baez will make the team better, but only modestly. I wouldn't call that a golden opportunity. And given the uncertainty that characterizes post-season baseball, I wouldn't give up too much of the future for that small improvement.

balke
07-31-2005, 04:58 PM

If the deals weren't there, they weren't there. There's no use blaming Kenny because the RUMORS of Huff and Baez and Lugo being available for a bag of balls and a sandwich didn't come to fruition. The Reds are morons who don't know how to run an organization, Manny wasn't to be had by anyone, and for all we know the Devil Rays wanted Marte and Mccarthy for Huff, which creates a hole in the Bullpen. Also, the Phillies are living in a dream world thinking they hold all the cards with 15 million dollar closer who won't be there next year, and won't see the playoffs.

We didn't hurt or change any area of the best team in ALL of baseball record wise. We still have a potent 1-2-3 combination of starting pitchers. Our bullpen is nearly 100%, with a little potential depth in the minors (If Shingo ever shows up). The Defense is there, there's a back-up for Crede, and everyone's favorite Willie Harris is off the roster. We did improve.

Cheer up, I have always thought we'd have more luck on the waiver wire when teams realize without a doubt they are losers, and they are overpaying their players.

Brian26

What would you do if you were in KW's position? He was offering everyone on the farm in some of these deals. Marte was offered. Contreras was offered. If these other teams are asking too much (Garland), then you don't make the deal. It takes two to tango. This doesn't seem too difficult to figure out. If you should be angry at anyone, it should be at the Florida, Tampa or SF GM's.

skobabe8

You dont think he didnt try, Jav? This is Kenny ****ing Williams we're talking about! Relax.

Jjav829
07-31-2005, 04:59 PM

What don't you all understand? Making trades is not a zero-sum game. You have to give in order to get. You can't just walk up to the player store and order an all-star off the menu. KW has made the decision that what he would have to give up is not worth what he'd get in return. This is very simple mathematics and a cost-benefit analysis. So far KW hasn't let us down so why not have a little faith?

When did I say it's a zero-sum game? I've been willing to overpay this whole market. Hell, KW could have traded every single prospect in the damn organization for all I care if it made us a better team. I've never said I expect something for nothing. I was perfectly willing to accept that KW had to overpay in order to get something. Hell, if he announced that we traded McCarthy, Anderson and Sweeney for Huff, I would have been one of the few not screaming that we can up too much.

And yeah, I'm such a spoiled brat for wanting this team to get better in a season where we have one of our best chances ever to win a World Series. I mean we have these opportunities so often....

SluggersAway
All I am saying is that KW missed a golden opportunity...

How do you know KW missed a "golden opportunity"? What trade do you know about that he didn't get done? Who were the players involved and how would they be better than the currently constructed team?

I call shenanigans.

voodoochile
What golden opportunity? I don't see any real difference-makers that were available. Guys like Huff and Baez will make the team better, but only modestly. I wouldn't call that a golden opportunity. And given the uncertainty that characterizes post-season baseball, I wouldn't give up too much of the future for that small improvement.

I agree and I disagree. In general, I think the Sox are fine, but I would have loved to see one more arm added and if this Tracy thing comes true, I would love it.

But, with the emergence of Crede and Pierzynski recently and having Everett already to take over for Frank, the Sox are looking better and better offensively.

Cowhead418
07-31-2005, 05:00 PM
What would you do if you were in KW's position? He was offering everyone on the farm in some of these deals. Marte was offered. Contreras was offered. If these other teams are asking too much (Garland), then you don't make the deal. It takes two to tango. This doesn't seem too difficult to figure out. If you should be angry at anyone, it should be at the Florida, Tampa or SF GM's.
Exactly. The Tampa, SF, and Florida GMs ****ed up badly today. They could have had a ton for their guys but acted like *******s instead. I don't blame Kenny.

voodoochile
07-31-2005, 05:01 PM
When did I say it's a zero-sum game? I've been willing to overpay this whole market. Hell, KW could have traded every single prospect in the damn organization for all I care if it made us a better team. I've never said I expect something for nothing. I was perfectly willing to accept that KW had to overpay in order to get something. Hell, if he announced that we traded McCarthy, Anderson and Sweeney for Huff, I would have been one of the few not screaming that we can up too much.

And yeah, I'm such a spoiled brat for wanting this team to get better in a season where we have one of our best chances ever to win a World Series. I mean we have these opportunities so often....

I agree with this completely. If the Sox passed up any opportunity to significantly upgrade the team while looking to next year, it is a mistake.

soxfan123

I understand where you are coming from, but remember that in the playoffs, everything that happened in the regular seaosn goes out the window. If we get hot in October, it doesn't matter as much as you might think how people performed in the regular season. With the confidence our team has, I see no reason why we wouldn't have every ability to pull off a very successful October.

Ol' No. 2
I agree and I disagree. In general, I think the Sox are fine, but I would have loved to see one more arm added and if this Tracy thing comes true, I would love it.

But, with the emergence of Crede and Pierzynski recently and having Everett already to take over for Frank, the Sox are looking better and better offensively.I'd like to have added one more arm, too. But not at any price. Sometimes the best deals are the ones you don't make. Look at mid-season acquisitions over the last few years. How many really made a difference? These deals usually turn out a lot better for the sellers than the buyers.

NSSoxFan
07-31-2005, 05:03 PM
I agree with this completely. If the Sox passed up any opportunity to significantly upgrade the team while looking to next year, it is a mistake.

I also agree that if we didn't make a trade because we're concerned about next year it was a mistake. The thing is, we don't know this for sure. Think about it people, were any of you tapped into KW's phone over the past couple of weeks?

Cowhead418
I'd like to have added one more arm, too. But not at any price. Sometimes the best deals are the ones you don't make. Look at mid-season acquisitions over the last few years. How many really made a difference? These deals usually turn out a lot better for the sellers than the buyers.
I would definately not wanted to have been here if KW had pulled the trigger on a trade that would have sent PK, Garland and a few top prospects for the Big Unit (assuming of course he accepted the trade). This place would have been a nightmare all year had that happened.

Brian26
I've been willing to overpay this whole market. Hell, KW could have traded every single prospect in the damn organization for all I care if it made us a better team.

Wow. Just, wow.

BeviBall!
07-31-2005, 05:04 PM

I agree, but we've learned a valuable lesson... don't waste time with LaMar ever again.

All I know is now McCarthy has a lot of pressure on him to be successful in the very near future if we could've had Huff or Wagner for him.

KW did address a need with Blum and it'll ship Harris outta here, so it's really two good moves in one.

There's always the waiver deadline.

Cowhead418
07-31-2005, 05:05 PM
I agree, but we've learned a valuable lesson... don't waste time with LaMar ever again.

All I know is now McCarthy has a lot of pressure on him to be successful in the very near future if we could've had Huff or Wagner for him.

KW did address a need with Blum and it'll ship Harris outta here, so it's really two good moves in one.

If we find out McCarthy could've been shipped off for one of those two and he turns out to be a bust, be ready to leave this site forever.

voodoochile
Wow. Just, wow.

Aren't you tired of waiting? I understand Jjav's frustration and desire to finally go for it...

HawkDJ
I can guarentee KW wants to win a World Series more than anyone here. He's always always traded top prospects for a chance to improve the current team. I doubt he suddenly had a change of heart and decided let's see if we can win 5 years from now. The trades just weren't there, what are you gonna do sometimes.

Mr. White Sox
I would definately not wanted to have been here if KW had pulled the trigger on a trade that would have sent PK, Garland and a few top prospects for the Big Unit (assuming of course he accepted the trade). This place would have been a nightmare all year had that happened.

There's no such thing as upside.

Brian26
07-31-2005, 05:06 PM
I also agree that if we didn't make a trade because we're concerned about next year it was a mistake. The thing is, we don't know this for sure. Think about it people, were any of you tapped into KW's phone over the past couple of weeks?

I don't understand why people are worried about Kenny Williams morphing into Ron Schueler this weekend. When, over the past three years, has KW worried about the future? He's the guy who traded Reed, Olivo, and Morse without batting an eye. He traded about 12 guys for Everett and Alomar over the past 2 seasons. KW is the antithesis of Ron Schueler.

Jjav829
07-31-2005, 05:07 PM
I give up. Enjoy bashing me some more since some of you can't logically understand why I'm upset without resorting to saying crap like I have my panties in a bunch, I'm a brat, etc.

I've been one of Kenny's biggest supporters on this site. I backed him throughout the entire Freddy trade last year while others were tearing him a new one for trading three supposed sure fire prospects. I backed every move he made in the offseason. I've given him full credit for putting together this team. In fact, I can't recall the last move KW made that I ripped.

I have every right to be upset that we didn't make a move. Do I fully blame Kenny? No. The bottom line is I don't know what was going on. I don't know what teams asked for or what Kenny offered. All I can go off of is the end result and that is that we are not a better team right now than we were in the morning. Some of that might be Kenny's fault. It might largely be the other GMs fault. But in the end, we're no better a team now than we were this morning and I'm not pleased with that. I will admit that most of my anger isn't at KW, just at the fact that we didn't make a move. Unfortunately, as much as I like and respect Kenny, it's ultimately his job to improve the team. That means he has to take some of the blame.

I realize there is still time for waiver deals and I'm optimistic about that, but I don't expect anything there either.

That's all I have to say. Have fun bashing me.

TaylorStSox
07-31-2005, 05:08 PM

I think the lesson that should be learned is to not speculate on every rumor you hear from a media outlet. The only people that really know what was going on are the GM's. The rest is bunch of crap that everybody got caught up in.

SomebodyToldMe
07-31-2005, 05:09 PM
Hell, KW could have traded every single prospect in the damn organization for all I care if it made us a better team.

Exactly what I've been saying this whole weekend. I'd sacrifice 50 more years of nothing. Hell, six 100 loss seasons in a row, JUST so I can see my Sox win a World Series.

MIgrenade
07-31-2005, 05:11 PM
I was listening to the Score and George Offman said that KW told him that there were teams that were requesting nothing less than Buehrle or Garland. My guess is that's what we haven't heard about in the Wagner or maybe Burnett deal, if that's true.

The fact is this, nobody made any big moves which means there weren't any deals to be made that wouldn't hurt this season. I think KW would have given up McCarthy for a quality starter, but maybe that wasn't enough.

voodoochile
I think the lesson that should be learned is to not speculate on every rumor you hear from a media outlet. The only people that really know what was going on are the GM's. The rest is bunch of crap that everybody got caught up in.

Yesterday during the FOX GOTW, they interviewed Cashman and he was talking about all of this. The Internet makes everything seem more believable because it is in print, and he even admitted to getting caught up in it a bit, but just because a bunch of people are talking doesn't make it true...

BeviBall!
Back to Tracy... he was lifted in the middle of the game, but I've heard nothing since. Are we ready to squash this rumor yet?

Whitesox.com is also saying Blum is/was the only move made today.

SluggersAway
07-31-2005, 05:12 PM

i agree as well, but this is not the issue. I have no problem with giving up unproven minor leaguers for talented major league players if it can be done. But, every indication is that no GM was willing to do so. Mortgaging the future for today is a fallacy. You always pay for performance no matter what.

skobabe8
07-31-2005, 05:13 PM
Back to Tracy... he was lifted in the middle of the game, but I've heard nothing since. Are we ready to squash this rumor yet?

Whitesox.com is also saying Blum is/was the only move made today.

Yes...summon the priest. Give last rights. This one is dead. :whiner:

Rocklive99
07-31-2005, 05:14 PM
I don't get the people disappointed, basically everyone else has already said it, but comeon, maybe we need a new reality show where a ML GM gets followed around all day. What are you going to do if someone won't talk unless both Garland and McCarthy are involved (the exact kind of person the Dray GM is), which is ridiculous. You don't think KW wouldn't do it in a second if the offer was for Willie Harris? There's a reason you want these players, they're good, and their teams don't want to get rid of them, unless they get their money's worth, and then some. I'd be pissed if someone got AJ Burnett for Jose Hernandez, but that's why nothing happened, they wanted too much.

voodoochile
07-31-2005, 05:16 PM
i agree as well, but this is not the issue. I have no problem with giving up unproven minor leaguers for talented major league players if it can be done. But, every indication is that no GM was willing to do so. Mortgaging the future for today is a fallacy. You always pay for performance no matter what.

Oh yeah, I don't think Jjav wanted to trade either Garland or Buehrle either. If that is what it took to get it done, it shouldn't get done...

NSSoxFan
07-31-2005, 05:17 PM
If that is what it took to get it done, it shouldn't get done...

That's what I was trying to get across to him. No one knows what was being asked of either team.

Ol' No. 2
07-31-2005, 05:18 PM
Exactly what I've been saying this whole weekend. I'd sacrifice 50 more years of nothing. Hell, six 100 loss seasons in a row, JUST so I can see my Sox win a World Series.Would you think that sacrifice was worth it if they didn't even make it to the World Series? I doubt it. The fact is, no matter how good of a team you have, your chance of winning the World Series is slim. Do you really want to sacrifice everything just to make the chances slightly less slim? That's really all this boils down to: you put all your eggs in one basket and take your longshot or you build a team that will contend year after year and take many shots. IMO, the latter gives you the best chance of winning.

That's not to say you never trade prospects. But there's a point at which it becomes a bad deal, and given Kenny's historic aggressiveness, I'd say it's likely that there were only bad deals available.

Mohoney
07-31-2005, 05:25 PM
IT WAS A SELLERS' MARKET!!!

And most sellers didn't take advantage of it to grab some much-needed prospects and shed payroll.

A lot of the sellers didn't trade their big bargaining chips. They must all have delusions of grandeur that they can compete in '06, and didn't want to rebuild their farms.

I guess I can see the Giants hanging on to Schmidt and his $10.5 million option for next year if they want to hold out hope against hope that Bonds will come back next year and save the franchise, but whatever the Devil Rays and Reds are smoking to think that they have anything close to resembling competitive pitching lined up for '06, I'd sure like some.

Huff, Baez, Guardado, Redman, Mesa, et al should have been moved for any pitching prospects that they could have fetched and to save money for the offseason free agent market. Now these teams have missed the boat, unless the waiver wire deals are plentiful.

Jjav829
07-31-2005, 05:25 PM
Oh yeah, I don't think Jjav wanted to trade either Garland or Buehrle either. If that is what it took to get it done, it shouldn't get done...

Exactly. If the only way to get a deal done was to include Garland or Buehrle, then KW had no choice but to hold off.

Look, I'll admit I overreacted a bit in ripping Kenny. It's not all his fault. Most of my anger is just at the fact that we didn't do anything, not specifically at Kenny. If these morons who call themselves Major League Baseball general managers (*cough* Chuck LaMar *cough* Ed Wade *cough) were actually asking for players like Garland or Buehrle, then you can't blame KW for saying no. If that's the case, though, those GMs made huge mistakes by not improving their teams for the future.

anewman35
07-31-2005, 05:26 PM
This is from Scott Reifert's blog:

The Phone Didn't Ring

Not once during the last hour before the trade deadline. Outgoing calls were made, but nothing came back in return.

The good news is we are pleased with the addition of Geoff Blum to our club, and our competition in the American League did not improve themselves.

A poster, who had read about the unrealistic trade demands that were out there from other teams, asked me to identify the players in our organization who were in high demand.

I cleared it with Ken Williams, so here they are: Mark Buehrle, Jon Garland, Freddy Garcia, Damaso Marte, Aaron Rowand, Brandon McCarthy, Brian Anderson, Chris Young and Ryan Sweeney.

I can't mention our interest in players from other teams because it would be tampering, but it is safe to say KW and our staff pretty much called on everyone you have seen named recently. The price in talent was just too high. It didn't make much sense to improve our bullpen at the steep cost of a starting pitcher from among our big three (Mark-Jon-Freddy).

Mr. White Sox
07-31-2005, 05:26 PM
That's not to say you never trade prospects. But there's a point at which it becomes a bad deal, and given Kenny's historic aggressiveness, I'd say it's likely that there were only bad deals available.

Exactly. You find a balance between winning now and saving for the future. If you trade everyone and get Manny Ramirez, Billy Wagner and A.J. Burnett, who's to say that team is a "lock" to win the World Series? If the Sox were to hypothetically trade for those players and lose the ALCS in 7 games, 50 more seasons of 100-losses is not due payment. The Sox are not the Spankyees, and they never will be. There will be no $250 million payroll and no need to farm-raise prospects. There is always a need inside the system for young talent, and it would be amazing for the Sox to model a team like the Braves; great veteran talent, but a great farm system as well.

Ol' No. 2
07-31-2005, 05:27 PM
And most sellers didn't take advantage of it to grab some much-needed prospects and shed payroll.

A lot of the sellers didn't trade their big bargaining chips. They must all have delusions of grandeur that they can compete in '06, and didn't want to rebuild their farms.

I guess I can see the Giants hanging on to Schmidt and his $10.5 million option for next year if they want to hold out hope against hope that Bonds will come back next year and save the franchise, but whatever the Devil Rays and Reds are smoking to think that they have anything close to resembling competitive pitching lined up for '06, I'd sure like some.

Huff, Baez, Guardado, Redman, Mesa, et al should have been moved for any pitching prospects that they could have fetched and to save money for the offseason free agent market. Now these teams have missed the boat, unless the waiver wire deals are plentiful.Maybe that's what's going to happen. All these teams played chicken with the deadline and lost. Waiver deals happen every year. This year they could be a lot more plentiful.

Madvora
07-31-2005, 05:30 PM
So wait a second... did we get this Tracy guy or not? I don't see anything on it, but this thread?

voodoochile
07-31-2005, 05:31 PM
So wait a second... did we get this Tracy guy or not? I don't see anything on it, but this thread?

Looks like the answer is no...

Madvora
07-31-2005, 05:33 PM
Looks like the answer is no...
How the hell did this guy get a rumor like that at 3:30 and post it?

Thanks for the quick response though.

BeviBall!
07-31-2005, 05:36 PM
The waivers will be a crowded place this August.

Rocklive99
07-31-2005, 05:36 PM

I guess this means no Tracy either. Stupid ESPN mental midgets, I swear, how do you confuse Chad Tracy and Geoff Blum, it's not like they're on the same team

BeviBall!
07-31-2005, 05:38 PM
Stupid ESPN mental midgets, I swear, how do you confuse Chad Tracy and Geoff Blum, it's not like they're on the same team

Neither play for Boston or NY.

Tragg
07-31-2005, 05:38 PM
I don't get the people disappointed, basically everyone else has already said it, but comeon, maybe we need a new reality show where a ML GM gets followed around all day. What are you going to do if someone won't talk unless both Garland and McCarthy are involved (the exact kind of person the Dray GM is), which is ridiculous. You don't think KW wouldn't do it in a second if the offer was for Willie Harris? There's a reason you want these players, they're good, and their teams don't want to get rid of them, unless they get their money's worth, and then some. I'd be pissed if someone got AJ Burnett for Jose Hernandez, but that's why nothing happened, they wanted too much.
I agree.
There's not percentage in making bad deals, and by all accounts, these GMs were ridiculous with their expectations.
We know KW worked his a$$ off to make a trade. Thank goodness he accomplished such great work in the offseason to have us where we are.

And I don't blame him one bit for protecting McCarthy. In fact, I applaud it. (now I'm presuming we didn't give up a top prospect for Tracy - i don't know what we gave up).

Fredsox
07-31-2005, 05:39 PM

I cleared it with Ken Williams, so here they are: Mark Buehrle, Jon Garland, Freddy Garcia, Damaso Marte, Aaron Rowand, Brandon McCarthy, Brian Anderson, Chris Young and Ryan Sweeney.

I can't mention our interest in players from other teams because it would be tampering, but it is safe to say KW and our staff pretty much called on everyone you have seen named recently. The price in talent was just too high. It didn't make much sense to improve our bullpen at the steep cost of a starting pitcher from among our big three (Mark-Jon-Freddy).

For me, this tells me we did the right thing. How on earth would we have improved our chances of winning the World Series by giving up, say, one of the top 3 to get Billy Wagner (I'm reading between the lines here). We're better off hanging tough and trying to work a waiver deal in a couple of weeks as soon as Philly sees they're out of it.

Jjav829
07-31-2005, 05:41 PM
It didn't make much sense to improve our bullpen at the steep cost of a starting pitcher from among our big three (Mark-Jon-Freddy).

Well, if that's the case, then I feel like a complete ass for putting even any blame on Kenny. Actually, I feel like a complete ******* either way after getting torn to shreds. :(:

At least I can finally get back to my normal life after waiting this entire week for some kind of trade to happen only to be let down. I should probably go away anyways after spending way too much time here talking about trades.

Tragg
07-31-2005, 05:44 PM
Would you think that sacrifice was worth it if they didn't even make it to the World Series? I doubt it. The fact is, no matter how good of a team you have, your chance of winning the World Series is slim. Do you really want to sacrifice everything just to make the chances slightly less slim? That's really all this boils down to: you put all your eggs in one basket and take your longshot or you build a team that will contend year after year and take many shots. IMO, the latter gives you the best chance of winning.

Thank you.
That's been my position for the last month.
It takes good fortune to win the WS, absent a super team.
The best way to do it is to contend year after year after year, which KW has us set up to do, with good players across the board, and no bad contracts, giving us maximum flexibility.

Maybe I'm completely off base, but I get the feeling that other GMs expect to get more out of KW, then they do other GMs. They saw the Seattle trade last year, which at a superficial look was 2 top prospects and a starting catcher for a rent-a-pitcher. (closer examintation, of course, suggests that the o/f prospect was our number 4/5 outfield prospect and the IF prospect wasn't anyone we considered top at all, despite his numbers, and we were confident in signing Garcia). And the Ritchie trade.

I mean if these GMs really expected him to give up a big 3 pitcher for bullpen help, then that's really insulting, and they deserve the finger.

The Astros traded their 2 best prospects (in what is a consistently rich farm system) for Randy Johnson. They didn't win a single series.

BeviBall!
07-31-2005, 05:44 PM
Well, if that's the case, then I feel like a complete ass for putting even any blame on Kenny. Actually, I feel like a complete ******* either way after getting torn to shreds. :(:

At least I can finally get back to my normal life after waiting this entire week for some kind of trade to happen only to be let down. I should probably go away anyways after spending way too much time here talking about trades.

The thing is, none of us know for sure. But the fact that the Yanks, BoSox, Angels and us didn't do anything earth-shattering tells you that the asking prices were way too high.

Don't hate KW, hate the Wild Card! :D:

samram
07-31-2005, 05:51 PM

Eh, don't worry about it. With the amount of time you spent posting updates, no one should have a beef with you when nothing happened.

Let's face it- Beinfest screwed up this entire period by being indecisive for, oh, about a month. They took up at least three teams' time that could have been spent elsewhere (although it's their fault for not doing so to a certain extent). Lamar is the other guy who screwed up. Huff and Baez won't be a part of winning teams for TB and now he's stuck with them for another year, and their market values will be lower next year.

Dick Allen
07-31-2005, 05:54 PM
Thank you.
That's been my position for the last month.
It takes good fortune to win the WS, absent a super team.
The best way to do it is to contend year after year after year, which KW has us set up to do, with good players across the board, and no bad contracts, giving us maximum flexibility.

Maybe I'm completely off base, but I get the feeling that other GMs expect to get more out of KW, then they do other GMs. They saw the Seattle trade last year, which at a superficial look was 2 top prospects and a starting catcher for a rent-a-pitcher. (closer examintation, of course, suggests that the o/f prospect was our number 4/5 outfield prospect and the IF prospect wasn't anyone we considered top at all, despite his numbers, and we were confident in signing Garcia). And the Ritchie trade.

I mean if these GMs really expected him to give up a big 3 pitcher for bullpen help, then that's really insulting, and they deserve the finger.

The Astros traded their 2 best prospects (in what is a consistently rich farm system) for Randy Johnson. They didn't win a single series.Wasn't one of those prospects Freddie Garcia?

Tragg
07-31-2005, 05:56 PM
Wasn't one of those prospects Freddie Garcia?
Yep
And their reliever that everyone wanted (Guadaro - I think)
And the useful slow-throwing John Halama

Fredsox
07-31-2005, 05:56 PM
Clearly, the thing that has tightened the market is that fact that some of the Wild Card races are still close. This will shake out in 2-3 weeks and things will loosen up. I have confidence that KW will be able to add-on at that time. Remember: we're positioning ourselves for the style of play we'll see in October. We've already made the playoffs, we just need to tweak a bit so we can increase out ability to win the 7-game series.

Ol' No. 2
07-31-2005, 06:01 PM

At least I can finally get back to my normal life after waiting this entire week for some kind of trade to happen only to be let down. I should probably go away anyways after spending way too much time here talking about trades.Meh. That's what 88 years of frustration will do to you.:cool:

Jjav829
08-01-2005, 02:06 AM
Eh, don't worry about it. With the amount of time you spent posting updates, no one should have a beef with you when nothing happened.

Let's face it- Beinfest screwed up this entire period by being indecisive for, oh, about a month. They took up at least three teams' time that could have been spent elsewhere (although it's their fault for not doing so to a certain extent). Lamar is the other guy who screwed up. Huff and Baez won't be a part of winning teams for TB and now he's stuck with them for another year, and their market values will be lower next year.

Actually, most of my anger was at LaMar (I think I've made it clear previously what I think of LaMar), and the general market as a whole. It just sort of came out directed at KW once I finally realized we didn't make a move. Normally I try not to post while I'm angry because I tend not to make much sense. This just happened to be an exception. Like I said before, I don't really blame Kenny. I'm sure he did all he could. Figures that the one year we are actually a sure playoff team, everyone is a buyer and few teams are sellers.

One of the reasons I was so pissed was because of all the media crap. I mean we spent weeks discussing trade rumors and possibilities. I had firmly convinced myself that we would make some move. Even when I tried to believe that the market might be so bad that we might not be able to do anything, I couldn't manage to believe that and still kept thinking we would do something. Then when it finally hit me that we didn't do anything, it kind of came out misdirected at Kenny. Oh well.

I've said before that there's a reason why I don't post much on Sunday's after Bears games. This is exactly why. Since it usually means another Bears loss, I figure I'm better off giving it a day to come down from the anger usually associated with Bears games. You should see me during the actual games. :o: :D: