PDA

View Full Version : Trade Dealine Poll

Domeshot17
07-31-2005, 03:16 PM
Just want to get a general idea of reaction

Ol' No. 2
07-31-2005, 03:19 PM
I have no problem with no big trades. I would like to have added bullpen depth, but they can get by with what they have, as long as there's no major injury. Remember, all the "experts" said this team would finish 3rd with 72 wins. The are a lock for the playoffs, and once there, it's pretty much a crapshoot. Your chances are about as good as anyone elses. In fact, I would rate the Sox chances better, because they have a solid rotation and bullpen and are much better set up to win the low-scoring games that you find in post-season play.

Look back at trades made at the deadline in previous years (not just the Sox, but everybody). How many really made a difference? Not that many.

Cowhead418
07-31-2005, 03:21 PM
It seemed like everyone wanted to hang on to their prospects. Yankees, Red Sox, Mets, and us. At least the Red Sox, Yankees and the bunch didn't fill any of their glaring holes.

NSSoxFan
07-31-2005, 03:21 PM
Trade market was very weak.

I'm sure KW zeroed in on Huff for the last couple of days and the asking price was just too high. I have no problem with what KW did, none at all.

Cowhead418
07-31-2005, 03:22 PM
Trade market was very weak.

I'm sure KW zeroed in on Huff for the last couple of days and the asking price was just too high. I have no problem with what KW did, none at all.
I agree. There was a very uninteresting trade market out there. And LaMar being as stupid and stubborn as he was I have no problem with KW

Baby Fisk
07-31-2005, 03:22 PM
This trade deadline was all about nothing.

NSSoxFan
07-31-2005, 03:24 PM
And LaMar being as stupid and stubborn as he was I have no problem with KW

I hope LaMar enjoys watching McCarthy's career.

ChiWhiteSox1337
07-31-2005, 03:25 PM
After watching KW assemble the best team in baseball over the offseason, I will trust that KW did what was best for the White Sox organization.

DaleJRFan
07-31-2005, 03:27 PM
I hope LaMar enjoys watching McCarthy's career.

Wasn't McCarthy taken off the table??

HawkDJ
07-31-2005, 04:19 PM
Yes I'm upset but not at KW

CYGarland20
07-31-2005, 04:20 PM
I'll give KW the benfit of the doubt, but to say I'm not disappointed something bigger didn't happen would be a HUGE understatement :(:

BeviBall!
07-31-2005, 04:23 PM
It seems as if KW did everything and then some to get some players over here. It takes two to trade, and in the case of Lamar, it takes Buehrle, Garland, McCarthy, Sweeney, Anderson............

A_ROW33
07-31-2005, 04:24 PM
Look back at trades made at the deadline in previous years (not just the Sox, but everybody). How many really made a difference? Not that many.

Heathcliff Slocumb for Jason Varitek and Derek Lowe sure did, only 7 years later for the team that acquired the minor leaguers.

Ol' No. 2
07-31-2005, 04:25 PM
Heathcliff Slocumb for Jason Varitek and Derek Lowe sure did, only 7 years later for the team that acquired the minor leaguers.That's kind of been my point.

Banix12
07-31-2005, 04:33 PM
Nobody else really made any major improvements either so I'm not unhappy. The sox solved a utility problem and Blum should show a bit more power here than in San Diego.

In the AL the biggest winner I think was Oakland in getting Jay Witasick a while ago.

In the NL the biggest winner was probably the Cubs in getting Lawton for only Jody Gerut. That is a fine trade there.

balke
07-31-2005, 04:34 PM
Nobody else really made any major improvements either so I'm not unhappy. The sox solved a utility problem and Blum should show a bit more power here than in San Diego.

In the AL the biggest winner I think was Oakland in getting Jay Witasick a while ago.

In the NL the biggest winner was probably the Cubs in getting Lawton for only Jody Gerut. That is a fine trade there.

Not only that, but at the time I was pretty shocked they got Payton for nothing basically. Now, he's showing improvement as a player. Plus, Joe Kennedy for nothing... another great move.

Big moves weren't there for us without losing one of the big 3, I'm happy.

BeviBall!
07-31-2005, 04:37 PM
Beane looks more and more the genius with the events, or lack thereof, today. I hate that man.

voodoochile
07-31-2005, 04:39 PM
Beane looks more and more the genius with the events, or lack thereof, today. I hate that man.

Really? Why? :?:

BeviBall!
07-31-2005, 04:42 PM
Really? Why? :?:

Because he went out and made his deals early on: Payton and Witasick. He didn't get left holding the bag like every other team did today.

socko82
07-31-2005, 05:11 PM
The Sox have the best record and nobody else in the AL did anything to get significantly better. There's still a chance to improve the club in August as some of the wild card clusters start to break up and more teams look to dump salary.

MIgrenade
07-31-2005, 05:18 PM
Worst Trade Deadline, EVER!

duke of dorwood
07-31-2005, 05:19 PM
He tried to drop the ball, but was saved from himself by Florida. Things worked out well-our roster is a bit stronger now,

eastchicagosoxfan
07-31-2005, 05:25 PM
I'm happy with the current roster. These guys work well together, and have posted the best record up till now. The starting pitching is deep, the defense is solid, the pen is sound, and they score enough runs to win, and they win close games. I don't expect that to change. They should have home field advantage in the post-season. Who's better, or that much improved?

sircaffey1
07-31-2005, 05:36 PM
Knowing how much passion Kenny has, I wonder how pissed he was when the deadline passed without Huff, Baez, or Burnett...All I see in my mind is him sitting in his "war room" w/ his hands over his face while his "big board" lies on the floor in 2 pieces.

voodoochile
07-31-2005, 05:42 PM
He tried to drop the ball, but was saved from himself by Florida. Things worked out well-our roster is a bit stronger now,

How do you know that? Just curious.

Also, why are you taking this moment to rip on KW when the team he built is currently in first place in MLB by a fair margin? :?:

SOXSINCE'70
07-31-2005, 05:43 PM
As many have said before me,MLB has turned into the NFL.
It's parity and mediocrity for us all.If it weren't this way,
the Sox could have traded for another bullpen arm.

I'm not dissaponted in KW.I'm mad that so many teams who think
they have a chance to win hang on to players who will just leave
via free agency in the end.But that happens in all sports,not just
baseball.

BeviBall!
07-31-2005, 05:46 PM
There should be a selection for incomplete. We have all of August to go for waiver deals. Who knows what will happen?

sircaffey1
07-31-2005, 05:50 PM
There should be a selection for incomplete. We have all of August to go for waiver deals. Who knows what will happen?

Exactly...Didn't KW try to get Delgado and Walker last year after the non-waiver deadline?

BeviBall!
07-31-2005, 05:55 PM
Exactly...Didn't KW try to get Delgado and Walker last year after the non-waiver deadline?

Yup... if I remember correctly KW actually had a deal complete for Walker, but he vetoed it and he and Ozzie just couldn't talk Carlos into it.

MRKARNO
07-31-2005, 05:57 PM
http://whitesoxpride.mlblogs.com/inside_the_white_sox/2005/07/trade_deadline__1.html#comments

A poster, who had read about the unrealistic trade demands that were out there from other teams, asked me to identify the players in our organization who were in high demand.

I cleared it with Ken Williams, so here they are: Mark Buehrle, Jon Garland, Freddy Garcia, Damaso Marte, Aaron Rowand, Brandon McCarthy, Brian Anderson, Chris Young and Ryan Sweeney.

I can't mention our interest in players from other teams because it would be tampering, but it is safe to say KW and our staff pretty much called on everyone you have seen named recently. The price in talent was just too high. It didn't make much sense to improve our bullpen at the steep cost of a starting pitcher from among our big three (Mark-Jon-Freddy).

No wonder Kenny could only make a move for a utlity infielder. Talk about ridiuculously unrealistic....

Foulke You
07-31-2005, 06:02 PM
http://whitesoxpride.mlblogs.com/inside_the_white_sox/2005/07/trade_deadline__1.html#comments

No wonder Kenny could only make a move for a utlity infielder. Talk about ridiuculously unrealistic....
WOW! No wonder KW couldn't get a deal done. I'd rather stand pat with what we have than give up one of the big 3 starters. I'm sure KW thought the same thing.

SOXSINCE'70
07-31-2005, 06:04 PM
The top 3 starters?? No wonder Geoff Blum is all the Sox got.
These GM's must be :nuts: :kukoo: or something.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Madvora
07-31-2005, 06:05 PM
It must have been a question about who the Red Sox would want for Manny Ramirez or something. There's nothing out there that would cost Mark Buehrle.

PAPChiSox729
07-31-2005, 06:05 PM
WOW! No wonder KW couldn't get a deal done. I'd rather stand pat with what we have than give up one of the big 3 starters. I'm sure KW thought the same thing.

Wow. Just amazing. Now wonder nothing got done at the deadline. Could you imagine what this board would be like if Mark, Jon, or Freddy were traded for someone. Good decision to stand pat, KW, though it seemed to be very obvious that is was the right choice.

balke
07-31-2005, 06:07 PM

Both thought/knew we didn't have the pitching to get there. They wanted to go to contenders. I just salivate of what could've been last season, but so many things could've happened had we gotten to the playoffs and failed, including the trading of Garland. Everything happens for a reason, I'm pretty glad we didn't get Walker right now. I'm pretty happy with Jermaine over Delgado too for the money.

Tragg
07-31-2005, 06:19 PM

It really is annoying to hear him going on and on about how ingenius he was in trading Bradford for Olivo (when Bradford is and always has been nothing but a situational lefty) and then labelling him a genius when he peddles him for Payton. And then the national media telling us that Theo Epstein is the braniest GM in the business.

Through all of that, I'll give Beane credit for dumping Bradford.

And I would love for Cotts to eat the As lunch in the playoffs.

As for KW, when I hear stuff that Lamar wanted Jon Garland for huff and/or baez, it's obvious that you can't trade with that twit.