PDA

View Full Version : Lawton to Flubs

ChiWhiteSox1337
07-31-2005, 04:45 AM
Just saw this on rotoworld (http://www.rotoworld.com). The New York Daily News is reporting that the Twins could already be replacing Boone with another 2b.

The New York Daily News believes the Twins are close to acquiring Alfonso Soriano for a package that would include Kyle Lohse.
J.C. Romero and Bret Boone have also been linked to the discussions, although the Dail News doesn't mention either. It's believed that the Mets are pretty much out of the hunt for Soriano, although the Cubs might not be. Jul. 31 - 4:15 am et
Source: New York Daily News (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/story/332832p-284430c.html)
I honestly don't see how this would solve the Twins' problems. Soriano is a butcher at 2b and has posted some pretty bad offensive numbers on the road.

OEO Magglio
07-31-2005, 04:54 AM
Just saw this on rotoworld (http://www.rotoworld.com). The New York Daily News is reporting that the Twins could already be replacing Boone with another 2b.

I honestly don't see how this would solve the Twins' problems. Soriano is a butcher at 2b and has posted some pretty bad offensive numbers on the road.
I wouldn't take anything from the daily news serious. FYI in that same article it says the Sox are close to landing Huff.

Unregistered
07-31-2005, 04:55 AM
I just read Phil Rogers' column saying how Boone is coming very close to being released for the second time this season - not sure why any team would trade for him...

Twins should be selling rather than buying (I guess this is buying?), Especially considering Torii Hunter's injury was reported as a tear by Boston doctors, in which case he'll require surgery and be out for the year.

(source: http://www.startribune.com/stories/503/5535161.html)

munchman33
07-31-2005, 10:53 AM
Alfonso Soriano is a premiere offensive player. The thought of him, Mauer, and Morneau in the same lineup for the next few years would scare the hell out of me.

dickallen15
07-31-2005, 11:00 AM
Alfonso Soriano is a premiere offensive player. The thought of him, Mauer, and Morneau in the same lineup for the next few years would scare the hell out of me.

If the Twins get Soriano, he'll only be there the rest of this season. They will try to trade him, and if they can't he will be non-tendered.

rowand33
07-31-2005, 11:11 AM
I still odn't understand why the Rangers want to trade Soriano.

they're still in a playoff race with him.

Jjav829
07-31-2005, 11:17 AM
If the Twins get Soriano, he'll only be there the rest of this season. They will try to trade him, and if they can't he will be non-tendered.

And even if they do keep him, his high salary will force them to part with another high priced player and keep them from spending money on other areas of need. I'm not concerned in the least bit about the Twins getting Soriano.

Saracen
07-31-2005, 11:30 AM
I still odn't understand why the Rangers want to trade Soriano.

they're still in a playoff race with him.
Seriously? They're tied for 5th place in the wild card race, trailing the Yankees, A's and Twins. Their ace is suspended for 20 games and they have no other pitching. And Soriano is a butcher in the field who has refused to move to CF when the team has asked him to do so. Morale is very low for the team right now. There's no way they're going to catch those teams in front of them.

Palehose13
07-31-2005, 11:36 AM
I think I would love for the Twins to get Soriano. They aren't going to catch us and I don't think Soriano will get them into the wild card, but the acquisition of Soriano should hand cuff them for awhile making the division ours for years to come...

Jjav829
07-31-2005, 11:37 AM
Seriously? They're tied for 5th place in the wild card race, trailing the Yankees, A's and Twins. Their ace is suspended for 20 games and they have no other pitching. And Soriano is a butcher in the field who has refused to move to CF when the team has asked him to do so. Morale is very low for the team right now. There's no way they're going to catch those teams in front of them.

And besides that, the Rangers have plenty of offense. They desperately need the pitching. Even without Soriano, the Rangers will still have Teixeira, Blalock, Young, Mench, Dellucci, Matthews, Hidalgo, and Nevin. Even though Lohse isn't exactly a great pitcher, he's an upgrade over any Rangers starter not named Rogers or Young. Add in a solid reliever and the Rangers pitching is better after this trade. I'm sure they'd like to get someone better than Lohse, but they might not be able to.

sullythered
07-31-2005, 12:02 PM
Not gonna happen. The Twins are not gonna pick up a guy whose salary is one third of their whole payrole. The Twins are known for seamlessly replacing all the players they lose to free agency with younger, cheaper players. I doubt they are goiing to change their whole buisness model for a butcher with a .320 OBP.

coronaking
07-31-2005, 12:52 PM
am 1500 is reporting in boston they said the twins traded 3 pitchers for soriano
probably
Jc Romero. lohse, + durbin or liriano

HOUSTON - Mets insiders who called Rangers second baseman Alfonso Soriano a "super longshot" to arrive in Flushing appear correct. The ex-Yankee, who was dealt to Texas in the deal that brought Alex Rodriguez to the Bronx, appeared last night on the verge of being dealt to the Twins for a package including Kyle Lohse, Bret Boone and two pitching prospects, though the deal had not been finalized because Minnesota was trying to retain pitching prospect Francisco Liriano.

The Mets were concerned about Soriano's lack of production on the road this season.

Soriano went 0-for-3 yesterday in Toronto as the Rangers beat the Blue Jays, 3-2.

Lohse was the losing pitcher last night as the Red Sox beat the Twins, 6-2, at Fenway Park. The righty gave up three runs and seven hits in five innings to fall to 7-10 for the season. Boone was 1-for-3 in the game.

Texas already has been involved in one major deal this week, acquiring Phil Nevin from the Padres for bust starter Chan Ho Park.

Mr. White Sox
07-31-2005, 12:54 PM
Twins should be selling rather than buying (I guess this is buying?), Especially considering Torii Hunter's injury was reported as a tear by Boston doctors, in which case he'll require surgery and be out for the year.

You never white-flag it if you have a good shot at the playoffs, and the Twins have a good shot at the wild card. As for trading for Soriano, their payroll doesn't skyrocket from this deal because they are "renting" him for the year. They're paying the rest of his pro-rated salary, and maybe not even all of that. If Soriano can play decent defense on their team, this is probably a good pickup for them as long as they don't give up way too much. Kyle Lohse has done nothing in his career so far, and I guess they figure they can go on without him.

Ol' No. 2
07-31-2005, 12:56 PM
am 1500 is reporting in boston they said the twins traded 3 pitchers for soriano
probably
Jc Romero. lohse, + durbin or liriano

HOUSTON - Mets insiders who called Rangers second baseman Alfonso Soriano a "super longshot" to arrive in Flushing appear correct. The ex-Yankee, who was dealt to Texas in the deal that brought Alex Rodriguez to the Bronx, appeared last night on the verge of being dealt to the Twins for a package including Kyle Lohse, Bret Boone and two pitching prospects, though the deal had not been finalized because Minnesota was trying to retain pitching prospect Francisco Liriano.

The Mets were concerned about Soriano's lack of production on the road this season.

Soriano went 0-for-3 yesterday in Toronto as the Rangers beat the Blue Jays, 3-2.

Lohse was the losing pitcher last night as the Red Sox beat the Twins, 6-2, at Fenway Park. The righty gave up three runs and seven hits in five innings to fall to 7-10 for the season. Boone was 1-for-3 in the game.

Texas already has been involved in one major deal this week, acquiring Phil Nevin from the Padres for bust starter Chan Ho Park.

The Rangers get Brett Boone? Look out Anaheim!

coronaking
07-31-2005, 12:58 PM
670thescore just reported this:

Twins get: Soriano and cash

Cubs get: J. Jones, and Kyle Loshe

Rangers get: Rich Hill and a PTBNL

someone at espn boards is reporing this.. dont know if its true

coronaking
07-31-2005, 12:59 PM
this liriano kid is amazing, 2 nites ago he pitched a 1 hitter, hes 4-0 in 6 starts with a 1.something era

Unregistered
07-31-2005, 01:02 PM
670thescore just reported this:

Twins get: Soriano and cash

Cubs get: J. Jones, and Kyle Loshe

Rangers get: Rich Hill and a PTBNL

someone at espn boards is reporing this.. dont know if its trueWhat?! The ****ing CUBS get Jacque Jones AND Kyle Lohse for RICH ****ing HILL?? And why would the Twins trade a starting pitcher and a starting OF for Soriano and cash?

I smell major bull****.

voodoochile
07-31-2005, 01:03 PM
What?! The ****ing CUBS get Jacque Jones AND Kyle Lohse for RICH ****ing HILL?? And why would the Twins trade a starting pitcher and a starting OF for Soriano and cash?

I smell major bull****.

I agree. If this is true, I have no idea why these teams made the trade - other than the flubbies of course...

Podzilla_40
07-31-2005, 01:06 PM
Well, for one, Lohse sucks and so does Jones. This doesn't do much for the Cubs. Trading Rich Hill might be the dumbest thing they could've done. That guy is a STUD. He has a better curve than BMAC.

coronaking
07-31-2005, 01:08 PM
soriano is in the rangers lineup today

Ol' No. 2
07-31-2005, 01:10 PM
Well, for one, Lohse sucks and so does Jones. This doesn't do much for the Cubs. Trading Rich Hill might be the dumbest thing they could've done. That guy is a STUD. He has a better curve than BMAC.The Cubs are desperate for pitching and a LF. As good as Murton and Hill have looked, we know how Crusty feels about playing rookies, so I'm sure he'd rather have Jones and Lohse. But I agree that long-term, this is bad for the Cubs. Unfortunately for Hendry, Cubs fans always think "this is the year" no matter how many holes the team has, so he's always got to try to go for the short-term gain.

It also looks like a bad deal for the Twins. Soriano's defense and strikeouts are going to get really old really fast. And Jones has always been rough on the Sox, so I'm not sorry to see him go.

To me it looks like the Rangers came out best in this deal.

balke
07-31-2005, 01:11 PM
This is the exact kind of move Texas should be making. They need at least one more starting pitcher to compliment Kenny Rogers. That lineup doesn't need Soriano, there's enough hitting as it is. They could use Todd Walker and Rich Hill if they wanna deal directly with the Cubs. Cubs might be dumb enough to trade Walker with Hill, even though he's a good 2Bman.

Unregistered
07-31-2005, 01:15 PM
I just don't see the Twins trading their starting right fielder days after losing their starting center fielder, possibly for the season. If this is a move for the Twins to make a Wild Card push, it makes even less sense.

It seems to kind of make sense for all teams except the team giving up the two starters.

balke
07-31-2005, 01:24 PM
Well, Jones is in a contract year I believe. I'm not sure if Lohse is or not. Twins are pretty set with Lew Ford, Shannon Stewart, and whatever stud OFer they have in their system waiting to take Torii's place I'm sure.

ChiWhiteSox1337
07-31-2005, 03:20 PM
It appears that the rumors of the Rangers trading Soriano can finally be put to rest. Jayson Stark just posted an article about 10 minutes ago on ESPN.com saying that the Rangers will keep him. The Twins and Cubs were the final two teams in the race for Soriano.
link (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2120988)

balke
07-31-2005, 03:28 PM
That sucks for the Rangers, they need pitching bad.

gosox3072
07-31-2005, 04:11 PM
Per espn, details soon.

nedlug
07-31-2005, 04:12 PM
Ravech just said that the Cubs got Lawton - wonder who they gave up...

Evman5
BBTN reporting that the Scrubs have acquired Matt Lawton.

CYGarland20
Cruds just acquired Lawton

Tekijawa
07-31-2005, 04:13 PM
I hope the gave up to much for him!

NSSoxFan
So, do the Pirates live to help the Cubs every opportunity they get?

nedlug
As on BBTN. Wonder who they gave up...

MinnySoxFan
07-31-2005, 04:14 PM
Corey Patterson...
You days as a scrub are nearly over

gosox3072
So much for teams not trading within thier own division.....seems like only the pirates will do this.

DSpivack

Hopefully the Bucs didn't get fleeced this time around. I kind of like the Pirates, don't really know why.

Brian26

Unbelievable. Are the Pirates the Cubs ****ing minor league system? I'm sorry, but you don't make trades within your own division.

cbrownson13
Jody Gerut for Matt Lawton

soxwon
we should have gotten lawton.

how do the cubs do it?

cbrownson13
07-31-2005, 04:15 PM
Jody Gerut

NSSoxFan
Hopefully the Bucs didn't get fleeced this time around. I kind of like the Pirates, don't really know why.

I'm not a fan of trading players within a division. I highly doubt you'll see the Royals trade with the Sox.

Cowhead418

how do the cubs do it?
Why do we need lawton?:?:

Tragg
As on BBTN. Wonder who they gave up...

I wonder too. He's a pretty good hitter.

skobabe8
07-31-2005, 04:16 PM
rotoworld is rrreeeeaaaallllllyyyyy sssllllooowwww today.

Jjav829
07-31-2005, 04:17 PM
This is a good trade for Hendry, assuming it's only Gerut. Lawton gives them a good leadoff man to go on base for Lee, Burnitz and Ramirez. Plus, Dusty will probably trust Lawton enough to play him everyday, unlike Hairston.

Rocklive99

LOL we are OF stacked, with at least 4 I'd put over Lawton (not including minor leaguers), I swear, some people want trades just for the sake of trades

gosox3072

2 words, Willie Harris

nedlug
Corey Patterson...
You days as a scrub are nearly over

http://www.thediamondangle.com/archive/aug02/cubs/corey4.jpg\
"YES!"

NSSoxFan
07-31-2005, 04:18 PM
2 words, Willie Harris

Geoff Blum.

A_ROW33
07-31-2005, 04:18 PM
It's strange that the two biggest players traded went to the Giants and Cubs...

patbooyah
07-31-2005, 04:20 PM
in a way- i'm glad the cubs got lawton. the other team that was most interested was the cardinals, and i want the series to be as easy as possible.

TornLabrum
07-31-2005, 04:20 PM
Does this mean Gerut is a Sox fan again?

Tragg
07-31-2005, 04:22 PM
We'd use Lawton as a DH - same place any hitter we would have gotten would basically play.

That's okay though. Sounds like it was really impossible to be a buyer this year.

Cowhead418
07-31-2005, 04:24 PM
It's strange that the two biggest players traded went to the Giants and Cubs...
And the fact that the two biggest players were Lawton and Winn shows you how pathetic the trade market was this year.

Mickster
07-31-2005, 04:27 PM

Why?

Brian26
07-31-2005, 04:29 PM
So the scrubs basically steal Matt Lawton for Jason DuBois. Unbelievable.

CYGarland20
07-31-2005, 04:32 PM
So the scrubs basically steal Matt Lawton for Jason DuBois. Unbelievable. Lawton is a decent player, but certainly nothing to get bent outta shape over the Cruds acquiring. He will help them, but they have bigger problems with their BP, and back end of there rotation.

Ol' No. 2
07-31-2005, 04:34 PM
Lawton is a decent player, but certainly nothing to get bent outta shape over the Cruds acquiring. He will help them, but they have bigger problems with their BP, and back end of there rotation.What's Lawton's contract situation? He doesn't help them this year, unless you count helping them to maintain 3rd place.

havelj
07-31-2005, 04:40 PM
I saw this:

"Lawton has a 4-Year worth 27M thru 2005- will make 7.25M (AP says he will make 7.75M in 2005) in 2005- + received 50K bonus for 2004 All-Star- + Pirates are only responsible for 6.35M of his 2005 salary with CLE paying the remainder."

So it appears he is a free agent after this year.

Ol' No. 2
07-31-2005, 04:43 PM
I saw this:

"Lawton has a 4-Year worth 27M thru 2005- will make 7.25M (AP says he will make 7.75M in 2005) in 2005- + received 50K bonus for 2004 All-Star- + Pirates are only responsible for 6.35M of his 2005 salary with CLE paying the remainder."

So it appears he is a free agent after this year.So the Cubs rent Lawton for two months to help them hold onto 3rd place? Piffle. Or maybe it's more like this:

The Cubs rent Lawton for two months to pacify their doofus fans into thinking they have a chance.

MHOUSE
07-31-2005, 04:44 PM
I was half listening to the Cubs WGN broadcast and they said Jody Gerut was traded to the Pirates for a left-handed leadoff hitting outfielder. Lawton is the only logical guy I could think of. They probably said it was Lawton, but I wasn't listening.

EDIT: It was Lawton. It's being shown on ESPNs MLB page, but no story is posted yet. I've have to work so if the next person wants to post a link it'd be appreciated.

chisoxfan64
07-31-2005, 04:48 PM
So the Cubs rent Lawton for two months to help them hold onto 3rd place? Piffle. Or maybe it's more like this:

The Cubs rent Lawton for two months to pacify their doofus fans into thinking they have a chance.

You mean they don`t ?:whiner:

santo=dorf
07-31-2005, 04:48 PM
I'm glad the Twins didn't get him.

Do the Pirates just not care or something? :?:

Ol' No. 2
07-31-2005, 04:52 PM

Do the Pirates just not care or something? :?:They don't about this year. Lawton becomes a FA right after the Pirates don't win the WS again.

A_ROW33
07-31-2005, 04:52 PM

Do the Pirates just not care or something? :?:

They got Jody Gerut for a guy who wouldn't help them and won't help the team he's going to enough to make any difference.

DVsoxfan
07-31-2005, 04:59 PM
I'd take Jody Gerut over Lawton any day of the week

EdHerman12
07-31-2005, 05:12 PM
Those yahoos up on the northside peddled Jody Gerut to the Pirates for Matt Lawton....per MLB.COM...

GO SOX!:gulp:

Brian26
07-31-2005, 05:17 PM
Lawton is a decent player, but certainly nothing to get bent outta shape over the Cruds acquiring.

I'm more annoyed that the Pirates are giving away players in their own division.

CYGarland20
07-31-2005, 05:22 PM
I'm more annoyed that the Pirates are giving away players in their own division. I agree it is a joke, but just think if Cincy game them Dunn/Griffey?

SOX ADDICT '73
07-31-2005, 05:51 PM
Yet another reason to dislike the Cubs - I couldn't stand that bigmouth Lawton when he played for Cleveland.

Vsahajpal
07-31-2005, 06:04 PM
I'd take Jody Gerut over Lawton any day of the week

Why?

Wait a minute...Dave Littlefield, how the hell are ya!?

bennyw41
07-31-2005, 06:34 PM
Why?

Wait a minute...Dave Littlefield, how the hell are ya!?

How does that guy continue to have a job, he keeps trading into his own division, he should be ashamed of himself.

SOX ADDICT '73
07-31-2005, 08:26 PM
So the scrubs basically steal Matt Lawton for Jason DuBois. Unbelievable.
Do you think the Indians realize they could have had Lawton back for Gerut?

I want Mags back
07-31-2005, 09:17 PM
they found out Gerut was a Sox fan and tossed him

The Dude
07-31-2005, 09:17 PM
Those yahoos up on the northside peddled Jody Gerut to the Pirates for Matt Lawton....per MLB.COM...

GO SOX!:gulp:

dude, whats the score?

Lip Man 1
07-31-2005, 09:40 PM
Lawton is not a difference maker gang... move along...nothing to see here.

Lip