PDA

View Full Version : ***Official*** Blum and done on a boring deadline day thread

EMel9281
07-31-2005, 12:14 PM
...Per his report on ESPN 1000.

Sox acquired Blum for LHP Ryan Meaux. The Sox website also has a link.

TaylorStSox
07-31-2005, 12:15 PM
Ummmmmm......I'm thrilled.

balke
07-31-2005, 12:16 PM
How is Blum at 3rd? I'm thrilled if he can produce a little better defensively than Ozuna, and can give Crede rest now and then.

soltrain21
07-31-2005, 12:16 PM
Yeah, it got confirmed on the website.

We didn't give up much...so its really a non move. Plus, he helps us in the area we need it (3rd base).

Podzilla_40
07-31-2005, 12:17 PM
I think this move will end up being a bigger deal than you all think.

Unregistered
07-31-2005, 12:18 PM
http://media.collegepublisher.com/media/paper410/stills/ct98apig.jpg
A familiar pose for Geoff Blum.

DaveIsHere
07-31-2005, 12:20 PM
Well...we still have a few hours left *crossing fingers*

soltrain21
Does this mean that Willie is off the team? :bandance: <---- Pink Banana

Whitesox4ever
CHICAGO -- The Chicago White Sox acquired infielder Geoff Blum from the San Diego Padres in exchange for minor-league pitcher Ryan Meaux.

Blum, 32, batted .241 (54-224) with five home runs and 22 RBI in 78 games with the Padres in 2005. A switch hitter who has played second base, third base, shortstop, first base and the outfield, Blum posted a .321 on-base percentage and a .375 slugging percentage for the Padres.

"Geoff is a very versatile player who is comfortable at a number of positions on the field," said Ken Williams, White Sox general manager. "With his ability to hit from either side of the plate, Geoff also gives Ozzie Guillen additional options in making out his lineup and managing the game."

Blum, 6-foot-3, 200 pounds, is a career .253 hitter with 61 home runs and 274 RBI in 760 games with Montreal (1999-2001), Houston (2002-03), Tampa Bay (2004) and San Diego (2005).

Blum will join the White Sox in Baltimore in time for Monday's game. Meaux, 26, has gone 6-2 with three saves and a 2.96 ERA (22 ER/67.0 IP) in 38 games with Class AA Birmingham. Meaux, who was acquired from San Francisco in 2002, has struck out 64 while walking just 18 this season.

Jjav829
I think this move will end up being a bigger deal than you all think.

How so? I guess it opens the door for trading Willie, but Willie doesn't exactly have high trade value.

As for Blum, I'll take him. Admittedly, I know very little about Blum defensively. Padres fans seem to think he's good defensively. I'd rather have Blum playing 3B when Crede needs a day off than Ozuna.

Decent move. Hopefully this is just the beginning and the real moves start happening soon.

The Dude
07-31-2005, 12:21 PM
Nothing huge, but a very good move indeed! Little risk & much better than what we currently have off the bench. Nice job KW.:D:

Podzilla_40
07-31-2005, 12:25 PM
How so? I guess it opens the door for trading Willie, but Willie doesn't exactly have high trade value.

As for Blum, I'll take him. Admittedly, I know very little about Blum defensively. Padres fans seem to think he's good defensively. I'd rather have Blum playing 3B when Crede needs a day off than Ozuna.

Decent move. Hopefully this is just the beginning and the real moves start happening soon.

Well, I just trust having a guy like that come off the bench more than Willie. His versatility will help and hopefully he can swing the bat now that he's out of PETCO.

ChiSoxPatF
07-31-2005, 12:26 PM
Does anyone else see this as a completely pointless trade? Fine, we got somebody but is he really make this team any better? Unless they need Willie, Geoff, or Ozuna in another trade this just seems kinda useless.

Gavin
07-31-2005, 12:26 PM
A scouting report from ESPN's profile on Blum. Take it FWIW:
2004 Season

The Devil Rays acquired Geoff Blum from Houston thinking that he was a utility infielder who was only an opportunity away from becoming an everyday third baseman. Instead, he struggled from the start of spring training, never made the adjustment to the AL, and went on to have the worst season of his pro career.

Hitting, Baserunning & Defense

Blum's strength had been consistency. But he was so lost at the left side of the plate and his mechanics were so off that he actually hit much better righthanded in 2004. The more he struggled, the more frustrated he got and the more often he got himself out chasing bad pitches. Blum has smooth hands and moves well enough for a big guy that he can still be an asset defensively, though he looks more comfortable at third than second, shortstop or in the outfield. While Blum isn't fast, he is a solid baserunner.

2005 Outlook

The Rays weren't going to pay Blum in excess of $1 million to be a backup again, so he headed back to the National League by signing a one-year deal with San Diego. He will assume the role of a versatile and valuable utilityman.

Nyls Nyman
07-31-2005, 12:30 PM
I like this move, as it upgrades a bench spot for minimal cost, and gives a bit of insurance in case Crede's back completely gives out at some point. As long as they have the best record in the AL and homefield advantage, Ozzie can rest Crede 2-3x/week, or even put him on the 15-day DL at some point. [For example, put him on the 15-day to end 9/2, so that there's extra player to pick from when plaoff rosters need to be set.]

I assume that Willie will get sent down to AAA until 8/31, then they'll bring him back up for September and maybe to be a pinch-runner in the playoffs if Ozzie thinks he can get away with one less pitcher at that point.

TornLabrum
07-31-2005, 12:31 PM
Does anyone else see this as a completely pointless trade? Fine, we got somebody but is he really make this team any better? Unless they need Willie, Geoff, or Ozuna in another trade this just seems kinda useless.

Since Crede has two herniated discs, and since it most likely means that there is no place for Willie Harris on the roster, no, it's not pointless.

Ol' No. 2
07-31-2005, 12:31 PM

Decent move. Hopefully this is just the beginning and the real moves start happening soon.I think you're underestimating Harris. Granted, he's no All-Star, but I'd guess there are at least a half-dozen teams in the majors who'd find him better than what they have. I'm pretty sure the Twins would rather have Willie than Brett Boone. He could very well be a part of a trade.

JRIG
07-31-2005, 12:33 PM
Blum's a pretty decent backup at 2B, SS, and 3B, but a guy who should never be a starter on a contending team. I like him better than Harris or Ozuna in the IF filling that role, so I think it's a very minor, but positive move.

Plus, he's a guy who actually could be a pretty decent pinch hitter.

russ99
07-31-2005, 12:39 PM
A scouting report from ESPN's profile on Blum. Take it FWIW:

Blum played well as the backup 3B and 2B as well as a solid pinch hitter for Houston for a few years, before going to Tampa (for Brandon Backe) and then to SD.

This is a nice addition of a veteran bench player and can backup at all infield positions. I'd expect Ozuna to be sent down, unless KW has some more moves up his sleeves.

fledgedrallycap
07-31-2005, 12:40 PM
While this move doesn't make me jump for joy, it does provide a veteran player who is versitile defensively. This team could use a little help regarding the bench depth since as we head down the stretch run, the Sox will need some guys to eat innings while regulars rest up for the playoffs. Having a player who can rotate around the infield might prove very valuable.

Paulwny
07-31-2005, 12:42 PM
Since Crede has two herniated discs, and since it most likely means that there is no place for Willie Harris on the roster, no, it's not pointless.

Yep, Blum is the insurance policy for Crede's back problem.

Lip Man 1
07-31-2005, 12:43 PM
No.2:

Fine then we'll see if any of those teams 'overpay' to get Willie since he'd be an 'upgrade' over what they have.

Granted it's a minor deal but come October you just never know do you?

Four words for you:

Tito Landrum - Denny Doyle.

Lip

Mohoney
I think both teams did well in this trade. Blum can play more positions than Willie, and we needed that versatility on the bench.

In Meaux, the Padres got a good return for a guy that they were probably going to trade anyway once they got Randa. I guess they weren't happy with what they could get for Burroughs, so they traded Blum instead?

ChiWhiteSox1337
I'm happy with anything that prevents Ozuna from playing third base. :smile:

Jjav829
07-31-2005, 12:44 PM
I think you're underestimating Harris. Granted, he's no All-Star, but I'd guess there are at least a half-dozen teams in the majors who'd find him better than what they have. I'm pretty sure the Twins would rather have Willie than Brett Boone. He could very well be a part of a trade.

I'm not saying he couldn't be part a trade, but not a big part. Willie Harris sure as hell isn't going to be an integral part of an Aubrey Huff trade, that's for damn sure. Could he fetch us a project-type prospect? Sure. But he's not going to be replacing an impact prospect in a trade.

duke of dorwood
07-31-2005, 12:48 PM
A good move-the kind we need-back up third is off the problem list.

bennyw41
07-31-2005, 12:49 PM
I think this is a stellar trade. Look at the number of times this guy has played over 3 or 4 positions. We really don't have someone on the team who can play those positions AND FEEL COMFORTABLE. The guy can play 1st, 2nd, SS, 3rd...why wouldn't you want a guy on your team with those capabilities. No one is saying he'll take over, but it strengthens our bench a lot.

TomBradley72
07-31-2005, 12:51 PM
As much as I like Ross G...if Blum can hit lefty and play all 3B/SS/2B and 1B...I'd rather see hime replace Ross. If we let Ozuna or Harris (as much as I hate him) go....we have a "station to station" player replacing one of our few speed guys. Not good for our small ball game.

Whitesox4ever
07-31-2005, 12:54 PM
from rotoworld

White Sox acquired infielder Geoff Blum from the Padres for LHP Ryan Meaux.
Insurance with Joe Crede on the way out? We hope not. Blum will be an upgrade over Willie Harris in a utility role, but since manager Ozzie Guillen likes Pablo Ozuna, he shouldn't get enough at-bats to have any fantasy value. Blum was hitting .242/.323/.377 in 223 AB for the Padres. Jul. 31 - 1:15 pm et

Whitesox4ever
07-31-2005, 12:56 PM
I heard from a friend in Philly that he heard reports from the flagship station that

the Phillies would take Crede,B Mac& R Sweeney for Wagner

but the SOx might also make a trade for Urbina

balke
07-31-2005, 12:58 PM
I heard from a friend in Philly that he heard reports from the flagship station that

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I'd take those guys for Wagner too.

Unregistered
07-31-2005, 12:59 PM

What a ridiculous price to pay for Wagner.

nedlug
07-31-2005, 01:02 PM
Our bullpen is a good one, and we can do just fine with them. NO WAY will we give up a gold glove third baseman with pop and, top pitching prospect, and one of our top OF prospects just to strengthen the pen.

Horrible idea.

TornLabrum
07-31-2005, 01:03 PM

It was reported earlier today on one or both Chicago sportsblab stations that Williams would not consider trading McCarthy. So much for that rumor...at least for an hour or two.

BFirebird
07-31-2005, 01:06 PM
hahaha...yea you can definitely tell that was a philadelphia radio station that reported that one. no way KW would make that trade. give up WAY to much for a rental.

wsoxgalkelly
07-31-2005, 01:07 PM
I thought we were looking for a pitcher????????:?:

Trav
07-31-2005, 01:15 PM
I thought we were looking for a pitcher????????:?:

We are. We also needed a utility man who could play 3B. Nice move by KW.

Ol' No. 2
07-31-2005, 01:17 PM
I'm not saying he couldn't be part a trade, but not a big part. Willie Harris sure as hell isn't going to be an integral part of an Aubrey Huff trade, that's for damn sure. Could he fetch us a project-type prospect? Sure. But he's not going to be replacing an impact prospect in a trade.Look at it the other way around. For a team needing a 2B, including Willie might save the Sox a prospect - maybe even a good one. Given that Willie wasn't anything more than Iguchi insurance from the beginning of the year, that's fine with me. His trade value is not insignificant.

BainesHOF
07-31-2005, 01:18 PM
This trade addressed our most glaring need of upgrading a utility infielder spot. Blum is a big upgrade over Harris and a needed insurance policy for Crede.

Well done, Mr. Williams.

DaleJRFan
07-31-2005, 01:20 PM
I wonder why this blockbuster was left off of the MLB.com trade deadline page:
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/trade_deadline/index_05.jsp

But I agree... this move adressed a serious issue for the Sox. I still can't believe the DRays traded Brandon Backe for him. Wow. Hopefully Ryan Meaux doesn't turn into the next Marte/Wagner...

CallMeNuts
07-31-2005, 01:24 PM
With his versatility, the Six can send two of the following four players to the minors or to another team in a trade (Willie, Timi, Ross, Pablo). Willie and Ross I think would be the most likely to go down. This frees up a roster spot for the next move: acquire Guardado for prospects.

BeviBall!
07-31-2005, 01:24 PM
It was reported earlier today on one or both Chicago sportsblab stations that Williams would not consider trading McCarthy. So much for that rumor...at least for an hour or two.

Only when it comes to the Rays. McCarthy is still on the table for Florida and Phila. This might have more weight to it than you think.

Mr. White Sox
07-31-2005, 01:35 PM
Good move by KW.

Major Sox needs:

1) LH Power bat - Not yet
2) Utility guy - check
3) LH Bullpen help - Not yet

Keep it going KW!

Any news on KG Jr.? Remember, with KW, no news is good news!

TomBradley72
07-31-2005, 01:39 PM
Wow. Hopefully Ryan Meaux doesn't turn into the next Marte/Wagner...

26 years old and still at AA....I wouldn't lose sleep over it....

Tragg
07-31-2005, 01:46 PM
Blum's a pretty decent backup at 2B, SS, and 3B, but a guy who should never be a starter on a contending team. I like him better than Harris or Ozuna in the IF filling that role, so I think it's a very minor, but positive move.

Plus, he's a guy who actually could be a pretty decent pinch hitter.

I presume Blum's a great fielder because he sure can't hit.
I'm not sure I see an upgrade.

DaleJRFan
07-31-2005, 01:47 PM
26 years old and still at AA....I wouldn't lose sleep over it....

Brandon Backe was a 26 year old rookie.

I wasn't complaining, trust me! :D:

balke
07-31-2005, 01:48 PM
I'm happy with this move, but would there be a possibility that Kenny is thinking of going after Lowell still, including Crede or Blum in the deal, and acquiring Burnett, and doing the whole Burnett Wagner thing? I think this deal is enough to help the team, I just wonder if this move signifies a larger plan.

DaGame2584
07-31-2005, 01:51 PM
I'm happy with this move, but would there be a possibility that Kenny is thinking of going after Lowell still, including Crede or Blum in the deal, and acquiring Burnett, and doing the whole Burnett Wagner thing? I think this deal is enough to help the team, I just wonder if this move signifies a larger plan.

Too little, too late on that front.

MHOUSE
07-31-2005, 01:55 PM
Great move by KW. Shore up 3B and hopefully Blum's power will knock a few balls out of U.S. Cellular Field in late-inning pinch hits. Now Ozuna only has to backup SS , 2B, and (sometimes) LF and we have a legit 3B and possibly 1B backup. I like Ozuna, but Blum gives us more options and a better glove.

C AJ Widger
1B Paulie Gload, Blum
2B Iguchi Ozuna, Blum
SS Uribe Ozuna, Blum
3B Crede Blum, Ozuna
LF Pods Timo, Ozuna, Carl
CF A-Row Pods, Timo
RF Dye Timo, Carl

Everyone is covered now. I hope we still have another move coming.

infohawk
07-31-2005, 01:55 PM
There are lots of ways to improve a team. You can improve the starting rotation, bullpen, team defense, team offense and bench. Blum is a low-cost but very real upgrade to the bench. In a ridiculous trade market, shoring up the bench is not a bad way to improve the team without giving up anything of significance. It's not flashy, but the Sox are all the better for this move.

Tragg
07-31-2005, 02:00 PM

I'd bet we would take Wagner for Harris, Viz and Timo, which is about as equally lopsided.

Urbina would be okay. Philly gave up too much to get him, imo. Polanco is a damn good hitter for a infielder - high OBP, something Blum assuredly lacks.

CYGarland20
07-31-2005, 02:05 PM

Decent move. Hopefully this is just the beginning and the real moves start happening soon. I'm a Padres fan as well, and Blum is a nice addition to our team. Not only is he another LH bat, but he's a good defender, and helps back up Crede at 3rd. PLUS he's a good clubhouse guy, this is a good trade........NOW let's get Huff and Wagner too!!!! :cool:

Jjav829
07-31-2005, 02:21 PM
Look at it the other way around. For a team needing a 2B, including Willie might save the Sox a prospect - maybe even a good one. Given that Willie wasn't anything more than Iguchi insurance from the beginning of the year, that's fine with me. His trade value is not insignificant.

But no team is going to pass up on a good prospect for Willie. You actually think some team is going to say, "Well, screw McCarthy/Anderson/Sweeney/Gio/Young, we need a 2B so give us Willie?" Hell no. That's my point. Including Willie will absolutely not save us from having to include a significant prospect. Maybe if it comes down to some project player at single-A or Willie, maybe they'd take Willie. But there's no way Willie's trade value keeps us from having to trade someone like Bmac to get Huff. No way.

JRIG
07-31-2005, 02:27 PM
I presume Blum's a great fielder because he sure can't hit.
I'm not sure I see an upgrade.

He's certainly an upgrade on Willie Hariis. Harris is batting .217/.287/.228, and can only play 2B.

Blum's no great shakes, but I'm pretty sure he can out-hit that in his sleep.

JRIG
07-31-2005, 02:30 PM
3) LH Bullpen help - Not yet

How do you figure? Cotts has been lights out this year, and can face both righties and lefties. Marte has been struggling with his control, but the Ks are still there and he's got a track record of success.

samram
07-31-2005, 02:33 PM
How do you figure? Cotts has been lights out this year, and can face both righties and lefties. Marte has been struggling with his control, but the Ks are still there and he's got a track record of success.

Yeah, I'm comfortable with the left-handed relief situation the Sox have.

TaylorStSox
07-31-2005, 02:36 PM
So, did White Sox Josh ever have a Geoff Blum/Sox avatar made? :redneck

DaleJRFan
07-31-2005, 02:37 PM
He's certainly an upgrade on Willie Hariis. Harris is batting .217/.287/.228, and can only play 2B.

Blum's no great shakes, but I'm pretty sure he can out-hit that in his sleep.

Hell, at least we're not talking about a Wes Helms trade...

...and actually, Blum is pretty rough on the righties (.248 347 vs righties - 227 266 vs lefties). As a switch batter, he does offer a decent sub for late inning matchups. He walks a lot and gets on base, which is more than Willie can say.

PAPChiSox729
07-31-2005, 02:37 PM
NOW let's get Huff and Wagner too!!!! :cool:

Huff AND Wagner? That wasn't too likely from the beginning. And with a half hour left, I am starting to wonder if anything will happen...

Tekk
07-31-2005, 02:52 PM
I guess this means we won't see Dye at first or SS anymore.

soxwon
07-31-2005, 02:52 PM
As Carlito Cool would say about Blum

"that's cool"

nedlug
07-31-2005, 03:02 PM
Alright, I'm still happy with our team. Filled a gap while not giving up much.

ESPECIALLY happy because no one else helped themselves. Let's go win one for Frank!

NSSoxFan
07-31-2005, 03:03 PM
KW is neither eager or stupid. I have all the confidence that he handled everything just fine.

BRDSR
I'm bummed. I think there was a lot out there that could have made this team better. Obviously I don't know what those teams were asking for, but I still can't believe nothing got done.

MagicNumber22
Could something else have gone down that we don't know about yet?

NDSox12
07-31-2005, 03:04 PM
Alright, I'm still happy with our team. Filled a gap while not giving up much.

ESPECIALLY happy because no one else helped themselves. Let's go win one for Frank!

Yeah, I agree. We could sit her and moan about not acquiring any big time players, but you have to look at what everyone else did too. I don't see a single team that even came close to significantly improving their team with deadline deals.

We're still sitting in great shape.

HawkDJ
This has to be the most overhyped, least interesting trade deadline in a long time.

Rocklive99
Could something else have gone down that we don't know about yet?

Well, I think last year's Contreras deal was announced after the deadline, I don't tihnk there will be anything else for us today though, and I'm fine with it

Cowhead418
07-31-2005, 03:06 PM
This has to be the most overhyped, least interesting trade deadline in a long time.
I agree. What a waste of my time.

MinnySoxFan
07-31-2005, 03:07 PM
Great...
I wasted 2 hours going through websites just to see if the Sox got anybody decent.
No big names were traded...

CYGarland20
07-31-2005, 03:07 PM
Could something else have gone down that we don't know about yet? YES! It's still not over yet. Some trades may still be announced up to about a 1/2 hourafter the deadline. Cross your fingers!!

DaleJRFan
07-31-2005, 03:10 PM
There is a story up on the Sox site about the trading being over for the Sox. So don't expect any more deals. No Huff, no Wagner, no Baez, no Burnett, no Schmidt.

White Sox preserve core at deadline
Trade for Blum is Chicago's only move before 3 p.m. CT

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050731&content_id=1152057&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

MinnySoxFan
07-31-2005, 03:11 PM
The real losers of the trade deadline has got to be the Devil Rays...
All talk and no action...
We tried and so did Boston to get deals done but they have a total fudged up franchise...

Ol' No. 2
07-31-2005, 03:12 PM
But no team is going to pass up on a good prospect for Willie. You actually think some team is going to say, "Well, screw McCarthy/Anderson/Sweeney/Gio/Young, we need a 2B so give us Willie?" Hell no. That's my point. Including Willie will absolutely not save us from having to include a significant prospect. Maybe if it comes down to some project player at single-A or Willie, maybe they'd take Willie. But there's no way Willie's trade value keeps us from having to trade someone like Bmac to get Huff. No way.Maybe not a top prospect. But if they needed a 2B, they might take him over a mid-level prospect. And sometimes those guys come through.

I happen to think Willie might have a lot more value on another non-contending team where they could play him every day and have time to let him learn. The Sox don't have that luxury. He's got a bigger upside than what we've seen.

DaleJRFan
07-31-2005, 03:13 PM
I think I jinxed the potential deals for the Sox by trading away the farm for Lugo, Huff and Baez in my MVP05 season...

Anyone notice that all 3 players being mentioned in Sox/Rays rumors all have 4-letter lastnames?? Maybe that's why Kenny didn't pull the trigger. There are NO Sox players on the 25man roster with 4-letter lastnames (now except for Blum).

Madvora
07-31-2005, 03:16 PM
The good thing is that everyone is baseball is still pretty much the same and we were the best in the first half. We should still continue to be the best.

Another thing to think about is waiver deals. Don't think KW won't have his ear to the phone up until August 31st. Larry Walker got traded after the 7/31 non-waiver deadline last year. Something could happen, however very unlikely.

Mohoney
07-31-2005, 03:23 PM
The good thing is that everyone is baseball is still pretty much the same and we were the best in the first half. We should still continue to be the best.

Another thing to think about is waiver deals. Don't think KW won't have his ear to the phone up until August 31st. Larry Walker got traded after the 7/31 non-waiver deadline last year. Something could happen, however very unlikely.

Well, the thing is, if we want an NL guy, every other team in baseball can block us.

However, if we want an AL guy, only the AL teams can block us.

Remember 2003. We made a few bullpen moves in waiver deals (Schoeneweis, Sullivan).

PodzStyleMultiAccount
07-31-2005, 03:51 PM

:bong:

mike squires
07-31-2005, 03:58 PM
Wow~ I came on here seeing over 300 people signed in and got excited. Thought something might have happened. Well, we made it this far with the talent we have so I guess they trust them to be able to do it with what we got.

jabrch
07-31-2005, 03:59 PM
This paves the way for Willie Harris to be sent packing. Blum can back up every starter except CF and C. He's a switch hitter. That's a great thing to have. It could come in VERY handy at some point in time. I hope that this year we are in a position to double switch a few times - thus Blum's value is HUGE. Meanwhile - he's better than Willie, and better defensively at 3B than Ozuna.

I don't know where Meaux exactly ranks amongst prospects, but this seems like a good move to me.

I wish we made a bigger deal - but since nobody else did, it isn't like KW passed on some other opportunity, or got outbid. There just wasn't a deal out there to be made. He made an offer for Burnett/Lowell - and it was supposedly the best deal that Florida had, but wasn't good enough. No fault to KW - he didn't bid against himself or overpay.

Mickster
07-31-2005, 04:02 PM
This paves the way for Willie Harris to be sent packing.

You, sir, are correct. Willie and Gload sent down today, Adkins brought up.

PodzStyleMultiAccount
07-31-2005, 04:03 PM
Wow~ I came on here seeing over 300 people signed in and got excited. Thought something might have happened. Well, we made it this far with the talent we have so I guess they trust them to be able to do it with what we got.

All of those 300 people were just like you. We were looking for a Baez/Huff deal, but no dice.

:iron

EdHerman12
07-31-2005, 04:06 PM
Hey, I'm glad KW kept things as they are. We may need Blum down the stretch. They way I look at it is that we're shortly going to hit 70 wins and it's only early August! These guys have gotten the team here...they'll be the ones to ride it out down the stretch. Sit back and have fun everyone good things are gonna happen......GO SOX! :gulp:

mike squires
All of those 300 people were just like you. We were looking for a Baez/Huff deal, but no dice.

:iron

The only difference between me and all of those other people is that I log on to this sight probably 20 times a day. :D:

jabrch
You, sir, are correct. Willie and Gload sent down today, Adkins brought up.

Adkins over Gload...interesting choice.

I hope Gload keeps his head up after being sent down. We need that LH bat to come off the bench and to back up PK. I know Blum has played 1B, but in a crucial situation, perhaps in a playoff series, I'd rather have Gload.

That said - I like this move. Cost little. Gives us a ton of flexibility, a veteran backup to Joe, Juan, Tadahito and PK and another left handed bat. No downside to it... It just wasn't the big flaming move that we are used to seeing from KW. Unfortunately this season there was no big flaming move to make as there has been in the past.

DaleJRFan
07-31-2005, 04:09 PM
What scares me is that Carl Everett is the #3 hitter for the rest of the season. We have a bench of Timo Perez, Geoff Blum, Pablo Ozuna and Chris Widger. Frank Thomas is out. We have no hitters batting over 300.

Sure we have a great rotation and solid bullpen, but so did the A's over the past 5 years. How many world series did they win with Hudson, Mulder, Redman and Zito in the rotation with Foulke as the closer?? None. The Sox needed a big bat and they didn't (get it).

DaleJRFan
07-31-2005, 04:14 PM
Am I the only one in denial here?? I keep clicking around, channel surfing... hoping that I MISSED something... I need to get a life, I think... :redneck

A_ROW33
07-31-2005, 04:15 PM
What scares me is that Carl Everett is the #3 hitter for the rest of the season. We have a bench of Timo Perez, Geoff Blum, Pablo Ozuna and Chris Widger. Frank Thomas is out. We have no hitters batting over 300.

Sure we have a great rotation and solid bullpen, but so did the A's over the past 5 years. How many world series did they win with Hudson, Mulder, Redman and Zito in the rotation with Foulke as the closer?? None. The Sox needed a big bat and they didn't (get it).

The Oakland As also never stole bases, and were one of the least aggressive teams around.

sullythered
07-31-2005, 04:15 PM

On what planet did Foulke close for the A's?

balke
07-31-2005, 04:16 PM

A's didn't have a Podsednik, Iguchi, or Konerko either. They didn't have the clutch hitting the Sox have. The White Sox scored 9 runs last night, and are 4th in the majors in hr last I checked. There's enough pop in our bats to score runs. Let's also remember what we did with .300 hitters in 2000, and remember how we got beat.

A_ROW33
07-31-2005, 04:17 PM
On what planet did Foulke close for the A's?

Earth, remember we traded him for Koch and cotts

Jjav829
07-31-2005, 04:17 PM
Interesting move to bring up Adkins and send down Gload. I guess Ozzie wants to keep the rest of the pen fresh. So, does this mean that Jenks gets bumped up a notch? I would expect Adkins would take the role that was formerly held by Jenks/Viz as the last man out of the pen. That would seem to indicate that Jenks might start to take some of Politte's appearances in order to help keep Politte fresh.

sullythered
07-31-2005, 04:20 PM
Earth, remember we traded him for Koch and cotts

My bad, he was there for such a short time it slipped my mind. Plus my brain wants to forget we ever had Billy Koch.

soxwon
07-31-2005, 04:27 PM
Hi im Chad Tracy- Am i white sox or what?

BeviBall!
07-31-2005, 04:31 PM
When the biggest names moved on deadline day are Farnsworth and Lawton... we all would've been better served going for a walk or reading a book.

I blame the internet and the Argentenian economy.

RallyBowl
07-31-2005, 04:34 PM
A trade that helps in any way is a good trade. It was not the blockbuster we all hoped for, but anything is still possible. No one else got a lot better, so as someone else pointed out we are still in good shape. The real culprit this year is the wild card, and all of these teams mired in mediocrity right now that think they have a shot. yes, I realize that WC teams can and do win the Series, but I think there were an awful lot of teams out there being a little too optimistic. Oh well, we started the day the best team in baseball, and that is how we will end the day.
:KW "They were all scared of making us even better."

Trav
07-31-2005, 04:39 PM
This was a great move and here is why:

They needed a utility man who could back up more positions than the ones they had because they needed bullpen help more than anything. No bullpen help was available (The proof is in the deals that every other team failed to make.) so they had to use another roster spot by bringing up help from the farm. Good Job KW for not overspending. Good job for finding a solution to the problem. Good job for doing everything possible to give us the best shot in the playoffs.

By not overspending he gave us hope for the next few years to come. With the majority of the players locked up for the next year, we know that we have the ability to play like this next year and to prove that this year wasn't a fluke.

rowand33
07-31-2005, 04:43 PM
Man. I am pissed about only getting Geoff Blum.

I realize that we have the best record in baseball. I realize that the sky is not falling.

But we got Geoff Blum?!?!?!?!

http://mlb.mlb.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_150398.jpg

We couldn't even at least get Machowiak? We got Geoff Blum.

This guy better make me eat my words because he's much maligned over at Padre fan sites, and while Willie Harris is a crap player, he was our crap player.

I'd have killed for Huff. We weren't willing to give up BMac...

BMac better be ****ing amazing for us.

**** the future if it means a 2005 championship. I want a world series this year. We have no guarantee BMac will even end up being good.

Some one put it perfectly last night, I don't remember who though...

Sure, we're laughing at the Yankees now, but we weren't laughing at them when they were world series champions.

I'd love a rotation with Buehrle, Garland, and BMac for years to come as much as anybody, but there are no guarantees on how players will perform.

I want a ring, and we needed a bat and a reliever.

We got Blum and called up Adkins...

hooray...

:angry: :angry: :angry:

soxwon
07-31-2005, 04:44 PM
I'm bummed. I think there was a lot out there that could have made this team better. Obviously I don't know what those teams were asking for, but I still can't believe nothing got done.

atleast oakland or minn didnt do anything.

mr_genius
07-31-2005, 04:45 PM
I'm sure KW tried to pull off a bigger trade but the other teams were probably asking for way too much.

i'm not real excited about adding a .240 hitter to the squad

oh well, i guess hes a decent utility infielder (defensively)

BeviBall!
07-31-2005, 04:47 PM
I'm sure KW tried to pull off a bigger trade but the other teams were probably asking for way too much.

i'm not real excited about adding a .240 hitter to the squad

oh well, i guess hes a decent utility infielder (defensively)

The guy had good numbers while with Houston. Now, he goes to another hitters park. I have a feeling he could be the next milkman in a limited role.

skobabe8
07-31-2005, 04:49 PM
The guy had good numbers while with Houston. Now, he goes to another hitters park. I have a feeling he could be the next milkman in a limited role.

I wouldnt mind another milkman at all

SABRSox
07-31-2005, 04:51 PM
I really do not understand what LaMar was thinking today. He is a complete idiot. TODAY was the day to trade Huff and Baez. In the off-season, nobody is going to give him squat for Huff, who will be due $7mil and will only look ordinary in the group of available outfielders, and Baez who will be due upwards of $4mil and will barely look average among the available RP.

I can understand not wanting to give McCarthy up for Huff (because McCarthy can bring more return) but you've got to believe that whatever KW was offering LaMar was better than what he'll get this offseason. The non-move makes sense for the White Sox, but absolutely none for TB.

I think KW now needs to look at sluggers with big contracts if he wants to add somebody. Maybe as more teams start to drop out of the wild card races, more names become available and KW will try and make a deal. Though I'm not sure what he can move on his end that would make it through waivers.

rowand33
07-31-2005, 04:58 PM

he sucked in 2003 with Houston. .295 OBP

he sucked in 2004 in the AL with Tampa Bay. .215 AVG, .266 OBP

he plays an average to below average third, and an average to below average shortstop with a career .962 FPCT at 3B and a career .959 FPCT at first base.

The only upside to this is, Ozuna's career at third base is a .889 , but they're pretty much the same at SS.

so basically, we got Geoff Blum because Ozuna sucks at third base.

Which is fair enough, and we got Blum for pretty much free.

But don't sugar coat this yawner of a trade by counting on this guy's stick at all. He is nothing but a defensive sub.

As ridiculous as it sounds... I think I might rather have seen Greg Norton get a shot, to be honest... at least he has a history with the organization.

BeviBall!
07-31-2005, 05:02 PM
he sucked in 2003 with Houston. .295 OBP

he sucked in 2004 in the AL with Tampa Bay. .215 AVG, .266 OBP
The only upside to this is, Ozuna's career at third base is a .889 , but they're pretty much the same at SS.

so basically, we got Geoff Blum because Ozuna sucks at third base.

As ridiculous as it sounds... I think I might rather have seen Greg Norton get a shot, to be honest... at least he has a history with the organization.

10 HRs and 52 RBIs both years in HOU is pretty good for a backup. And never say you want to see Norton again... that's crazy talk only Everett could spew.

balke
07-31-2005, 05:09 PM

hooray...

We have the opportunity to still acquire these things when these ballclubs realize they are going nowhere, and that they are paying their stars way too much money.

For now, just think, this is the same team that won 67 games so far with pitching and defense. They are 14 games up on their division, with 58 games to go. The core is in tact, and there is money to make acquisitions via the Waiver wire ala 2004 Cardinals. There should also be money and this same group of players in the offseason for another run next year. To me, there's two great chances coming for the Sox to make this team World series champions, not one. There are no guarantees, no guarantee one player puts us there, no guarantee this team can't do it, no guarantee these minor leaguers can/can't contribute. The best thing the Sox could do is run with a good thing, and hope to make moves when they are realistic. No sense in dealing Garland or Buehrle like these idiot GM's think they can get.

CYGarland20
07-31-2005, 05:22 PM
The guy had good numbers while with Houston. Now, he goes to another hitters park. I have a feeling he could be the next milkman in a limited role. He did carry the Padres in April when the rest of the team wasn't hitting and Greene was out. I think he's a nice addition, but Huff would have been much better.

Flight #24
07-31-2005, 05:39 PM
I think KW now needs to look at sluggers with big contracts if he wants to add somebody. Maybe as more teams start to drop out of the wild card races, more names become available and KW will try and make a deal. Though I'm not sure what he can move on his end that would make it through waivers.

That might have been the thinking: save your chips, and get a real difference maker as some teams drop out of contention. Because it seems unlikely that any team except possibly the Spankees is going to put in a claim and risk getting the entire contract of a Griffey (or similar player). So KW keeps his major chips, is none the worse competitively since no one else was able to make a significant move, and he can go get a BETTER bat than was available today.

If that's the plan, then he gets a big :thumbsup: from me.

fquaye149
07-31-2005, 05:40 PM
Hi im Chad Tracy- Am i white sox or what?

is this an espn.com buster olney chat?

TornLabrum
07-31-2005, 05:44 PM
I was so upset by the news that all we picked up today was Blum, that I promptly lay down and took a 2-hour nap. Today's news didn't prevent me from sleeping like a baby.

Optipessimism
07-31-2005, 06:36 PM

Huff was what we needed. A powerful LH bat that is signed through 2006. If Paulie is gone next year then we will have to make another trade anyway, giving up our prized prospects, unless KW wants to go with the Ross Gload experiment or try to turn some garbage on the FA market into treasure. Huff made perfect sense for both the long term and short term future of the club, yet Kenny stands pat. ***???

Sure, we're laughing at the Yankees now, but we weren't laughing at them when they were world series champions.

That was me. Why not follow the Yanks? They have a proven system that works. They put together a good team comprised of some home grown talent and smart ballplayers and they advance in the playoffs. When they need help, they trade their prospects.

As their farm system dwindled, they had to rely on taking on bad contracts, but they could afford it because they had such a run that they continued to pack their stadium. I was hoping we could do something similar in that we trade our prospects for major league players and watch attendance continue to rise. And, as attendance rises, the payroll does the same, and eventually we could find ourselves in a position that allows for several trips deep into the postseason. Maybe somebody in the office doesn't think the fans would show up enough to support the payroll that goes along with fielding a legitimate playoff team year after year.

But instead of following a system that works, it looks like we went back to that approach where we hope these wonderful magical prospects all turn out to be Arods and Ramirez's. If things work out and we win it all without any deals, I will gladly eat crow. But if they don't, we will find ourselves waiting for another year - who knows when - when everything again clicks at once. I hope when that time comes we don't blow it again and squander away another opportunity.

This was the PERFECT year do try something new. It was the absolute perfect time to both get better today and tomorrow, and put together the remaining pieces of a team that could take us to the playoffs over and over for the next few years. It seems like most people around here are ready to wait even longer and give more time to Cleveland, Detroit, and Minny to improve. Have fun. I'm extremely disappointed in the organization as a whole right now.

I'm with you there. KW refused to overpay for our needs, and I'm definately not going to salute him for that. This year is our chance. If we fail to do anything in the playoffs because Hermanson goes down and Jenks blows up, or because we only can manage to score 2 runs in a game while Buehrle goes 8 innings giving up 3 runs, I doubt there will be anyone happily looking forward to 2006-07 when we can see how our minor league prospects fare in MLB.

fquaye149
07-31-2005, 06:41 PM
I'm with you there. KW refused to overpay for our needs, and I'm definately not going to salute him for that. This year is our chance. If we fail to do anything in the playoffs because Hermanson goes down and Jenks blows up, or because we only can manage to score 2 runs in a game while Buehrle goes 8 innings giving up 3 runs, I doubt there will be anyone happily looking forward to 2006-07 when we can see how our minor league prospects fare in MLB.

Wait one hot minute.

A big bat would have been nice. A great reliever would have been nice, and there's still plenty of time for Huff and Baez.

However, this urgency because of Frank going down right now belies the truth - without Frank we still managed to stockpile the best record in baseball. If getting Huff means shipping Crede, boo. If getting Griffey meant shipping Rowand, boo. If getting Wagner meant shipping Crede, boo also.

I'm all in favor of adding what we need to this team, but not at the expense of breaking up key components of the best team in baseball. If we need to ship a middle reliever or a back end rotation guy that's one thing...but how do you propose we could have gotten Burnett without sending major league talent? And Wagner and Lidge sure weren't going anywhere....so what is the big boo hoo hooing about.

Like I said, if i'm not mistaken there's still plenty of time to get Huff.

SABRSox
07-31-2005, 06:48 PM
Optipessimism,

Look at what the Yankees did at this trade deadline. They hung on to their prospects. I think they finally learned the error of their ways. There wasn't any available impact players at this deadline. Huff, a very good player, is not someone who comes in and takes a potential contender and makes them a playoff team. Why sell the farm for him? The Sox did not make themselves worse today, and they did not get worse in comparison to what other teams did, as other teams also did nothing. There was no point in overpaying in this market.

The White Sox are still in good shape. Hell, adding Geoff Blum over Willie Harris puts them in better shape. While we'd all wish Huff was here, he is not worth Brandon McCarthy.

Blob
07-31-2005, 06:50 PM
Man. I am pissed about only getting Geoff Blum.

I realize that we have the best record in baseball. I realize that the sky is not falling.

But we got Geoff Blum?!?!?!?!

http://mlb.mlb.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_150398.jpg

We couldn't even at least get Machowiak? We got Geoff Blum.

This guy better make me eat my words because he's much maligned over at Padre fan sites, and while Willie Harris is a crap player, he was our crap player.

BMac better be ****ing amazing for us.

**** the future if it means a 2005 championship. I want a world series this year. We have no guarantee BMac will even end up being good.

I'd love a rotation with Buehrle, Garland, and BMac for years to come as much as anybody, but there are no guarantees on how players will perform.

hooray...

Dude, you need to up your dosage!
:prozac

And no matter who the Sox would have, could have or will trade for in the future...you will never have a ring.

SABRSox
07-31-2005, 06:50 PM
Wait one hot minute.

A big bat would have been nice. A great reliever would have been nice, and there's still plenty of time for Huff and Baez.

I'm not sure about this. I don't think Huff and Baez would clear waivers. Some team out there would probably take a chance on one or both of them.

fquaye149
07-31-2005, 07:21 PM
I'm not sure about this. I don't think Huff and Baez would clear waivers. Some team out there would probably take a chance on one or both of them.

Wasn't today the interleague non-waiver deadline?

Brian26
07-31-2005, 07:27 PM

Exactly. Their contracts are still relatively reasonable (although Huff's will become larger next couple of years) and would be a good pickup for a team still in it.

Flight #24
07-31-2005, 07:40 PM
That was me. Why not follow the Yanks? They have a proven system that works. They put together a good team comprised of some home grown talent and smart ballplayers and they advance in the playoffs. When they need help, they trade their prospects.

As their farm system dwindled, they had to rely on taking on bad contracts, but they could afford it because they had such a run that they continued to pack their stadium.

Ummmm.....they could afford it because they live in a metropolitan area about 2-2.5x the size of Chicago, with the corresponding media rights fees, etc in a system without a luxury tax. Even if the Sox win it all, they won't be able to do what the Yanks are doing, in fact, it would much more likely very quickly look like the Yanks of this year - full of bad contracts, a mediocre team, and unable to do anything to improve.

It sucks that this year's trade market was ridiculous. But them's the breaks. Contrary to popular belief, a bad deal is NOT better than no deal at all. Aubrey Huff/Danys Baez as the guys you HAVE to get? *****. We're not talking Carlos Beltran/Roger Clemens here. The guys you'd overpay to get weren't available plain & simple.

Optipessimism
07-31-2005, 08:27 PM
Ummmm.....they could afford it because they live in a metropolitan area about 2-2.5x the size of Chicago, with the corresponding media rights fees, etc in a system without a luxury tax. Even if the Sox win it all, they won't be able to do what the Yanks are doing, in fact, it would much more likely very quickly look like the Yanks of this year - full of bad contracts, a mediocre team, and unable to do anything to improve.

It sucks that this year's trade market was ridiculous. But them's the breaks. Contrary to popular belief, a bad deal is NOT better than no deal at all. Aubrey Huff/Danys Baez as the guys you HAVE to get? *****. We're not talking Carlos Beltran/Roger Clemens here. The guys you'd overpay to get weren't available plain & simple.

I'm not saying the Sox would need a $200 mil payroll to accomplish something, but I think a nice playoff streak could be started if the correct acquistions are made, and the fans would come out to support the team enough to have about a $90-100 mil payroll.

As far as Huff and Baez being guys you HAVE to get, I would contend that the Sox do HAVE to get some more offense, and since they need it, who is a better fit than Huff? He's signed through '06 at a decent rate and with a full year in the Cell I'd bet he'd provide more production than Paulie. Huff, in the Cell, I think hits close to 40 HR's and hits better with RISP, equalling more RBI's, plus a better average. Not only would Huff have helped us now, but he would have been a big part of next year.

Baez I didn't really care about unless he could have been part of another deal, but I still think we should have gotten someone else like Eyre or Guardado to add depth. The Marlins picked up Villone for a couple prospects, so why couldn't KW have beaten that?

Optipessimism
07-31-2005, 08:52 PM
Optipessimism,

Look at what the Yankees did at this trade deadline. They hung on to their prospects. I think they finally learned the error of their ways.

The error of their ways?

I think you're missing my point. How many consecutive trips to the playoffs did they make because they were willing to trade their prospects? Do you think Yanks fans, or anyone in the organization for that matter, regrets trading any of the prospects they traded to help their team.

Much of the reason the Yanks became what they are now was due to making poor deals for guys like Mondesi and Kevin Brown. They tried to overbid on everybody they wanted and ended up with huge untradeable contracts.

I doubt KW would do anything as stupid as taking on a Mondesi-like player with a Mondesi-like contract, but a happy medium could be achieved. Kenny makes a lot of smaller moves that end up paying dividends, and if he continues to do that plus makes the trades for other bigger pieces, he could have a very good team for a long time.

infohawk
07-31-2005, 09:07 PM
atleast oakland or minn didnt do anything.

No other American League team really did anything to seriously shore up a weakness. Good news for the White Sox for the playoffs.

The Sox didn't make any major move(s), but really weren't desperate for a transaction like many other playoff contenders in the AL. The Sox will win the division comfortably and will go into the playoffs with one of the most dominant pitching staffs in baseball. I'm comfortable with our opportunistic offense being able to perform well in a playoff environment where runs are scarce. In the meantime, the Sox have held onto all of their major prospects, especially Brandon McCarthy. Our organizational depth will prove to be an asset. With 20/20 hindsight, there may come a day when we all might be discussing how frightfully close KW came to trading BMac.

BeviBall!
07-31-2005, 09:07 PM
He did carry the Padres in April when the rest of the team wasn't hitting and Greene was out. I think he's a nice addition, but Huff would have been much better.

I would have killed for Huff too, but if that jackhole LaMar wanted McCarthy and Buehrle or Garland for him and Baez, that's just lunacy.

SoxSpeed22
07-31-2005, 10:59 PM
Worthless Devil Rays.