PDA

View Full Version : Chicago Media when Fisk was inducted

32nd&Wallace
07-31-2005, 01:54 PM
I know Fisk didn't play his entire career here, but I dont remember the Chicago media giving anywhere near the coverage to Fisk and they are to Sandberg? I mean replaying that 84 game? But alas, what else is knew.

RedHeadPaleHoser
07-31-2005, 01:56 PM
I know Fisk didn't play his entire career here, but I dont remember the Chicago media giving anywhere near the coverage to Fisk and they are to Sandberg? I mean replaying that 84 game? But alas, what else is knew.

While I agree the coverage is much...Sandberg retired and came back as a Cub. He stayed in that uni for his whole career. When Frank gets into the HoF, the coverage will be the same, if not more...cuz a WS flag will be flying too.

Cowhead418
07-31-2005, 01:57 PM
While I agree the coverage is much...Sandberg retired and came back as a Cub. He stayed in that uni for his whole career. When Frank gets into the HoF, the coverage will be the same, if not more...cuz a WS flag will be flying too.
But he played on the Phillies in '81.:tongue:

NSSoxFan
07-31-2005, 01:57 PM
When Frank gets into the HoF, the coverage will be the same, if not more.

Are you freakin' kidding me? Frank would be lucky to get 1/10 of the coverage that Sandberg has gotten.

Juice16
07-31-2005, 02:31 PM

I was thinking the same thing, Nellie Fox did not get the same coverage either.

TornLabrum
07-31-2005, 02:49 PM
I was thinking the same thing, Nellie Fox did not get the same coverage either.

Neither did George Davis.

SOXSINCE'70
07-31-2005, 05:37 PM
Last night,I watched (and I use the term loosely) the Comcast Sports
Report.It seemed like they spent the first 15 minutes kissing Ryne Sanberg's
ass.I finally screamed at the tv (which is what my family does) "Oh,for cryin'
out loud,show the Sox highlights!!" . Everyone laughed,as they follow the
sCrUBbie blues.
"Hey,Sandberg's a hall of famer",my sCrUBbie brother in law said.
"If Frank Thomas makes it,I want the same kind of ass kissing
coverage.I want an hour of highlights from his career",I complained.
Once again,laughter.
"Never happen", my know it all brother in law laughed.
"Thomas is a DH.He never plays the field".
At which point my 3 nieces and their friends chanted in unison,
"CUBS RULE,SOX DROOL".
I walked outside to cool off.
And that was my Hangar moment of the week.:angry:

TomBradley72
07-31-2005, 06:12 PM
Sandberg was the quintessential Cub: long career, clean cut, inoffensive to the point of almost a "Stepford Wive" kind of spookiness, nice stats, but no championships, and from where I sit..no real fire in the belly desire to win.

I guess his stats merit HoF induction. But I think he is drastically overrated as a player.

I want Mags back
07-31-2005, 08:21 PM
Fisk's hat on his plague in the HOF has a B on it. Had he choose to put SOX he would have gotten more coverage. But after he debated for months on which hat he would wear and then chose Boston, he wasn't getting as much as he could have

DumpJerry
07-31-2005, 09:47 PM
Last night,I watched (and I use the term loosely) the Comcast Sports
Report.It seemed like they spent the first 15 minutes kissing Ryne Sanberg's
ass.I finally screamed at the tv (which is what my family does) "Oh,for cryin'
out loud,show the Sox highlights!!" . Everyone laughed,as they follow the
sCrUBbie blues.
"Hey,Sandberg's a hall of famer",my sCrUBbie brother in law said.
"If Frank Thomas makes it,I want the same kind of ass kissing
coverage.I want an hour of highlights from his career",I complained.
Once again,laughter.
"Never happen", my know it all brother in law laughed.
"Thomas is a DH.He never plays the field".
At which point my 3 nieces and their friends chanted in unison,
"CUBS RULE,SOX DROOL".
I walked outside to cool off.
And that was my Hangar moment of the week.:angry:
You need a new family.

jake27
07-31-2005, 10:26 PM
god everyone is going ga ga over him in the HOF. yes, it deserves coverage, but not a huge segment on fox news and having a reporter live inside the HOF at his plaque. i dont think that frank will get this much coverage when he gets to the HOF

Hitmen77
07-31-2005, 10:43 PM

:tealpolice:

RadioheadRocks
07-31-2005, 10:44 PM
The only downside is i was hoping to see Cindy Sandberg and her corn-on-the-cob dress again!!!

chuckn98229
07-31-2005, 10:47 PM
When you own two major media outlets in Chicago you can decide how much coverage an HOF player gets. Let's face it, they control the information flow and they are going to hype their guy. Let's just hope Santo never makes it because if he does, the media orgasm will make this one look like a White Sox recap in comparison!

ChiSoxRowand
07-31-2005, 11:13 PM
The only downside is i was hoping to see Cindy Sandberg and her corn-on-the-cob dress again!!!

:tealtutor:

TornLabrum
07-31-2005, 11:13 PM

:tealtutor:

RadioheadRocks
08-01-2005, 12:49 AM
oops... sorry bout that!!!

Take 2: The only downside is i was hoping to see Cindy Sandberg and her corn-on-the-cob dress again!!!

There... that's more like it!!!

LuvSox
08-01-2005, 08:27 AM
I've got the Sun Times from the day after his induction, will have to dig it out. No, it was nothing like Sandberg.

Hangar18
08-01-2005, 08:59 AM
Sandberg was the quintessential Cub: long career, clean cut, inoffensive to the point of almost a "Stepford Wive" kind of spookiness, nice stats, but no championships, and from where I sit..no real fire in the belly desire to win.

I guess his stats merit HoF induction. But I think he is drastically overrated as a player.

I believe he was very over-rated as a player also, and got into the HOF because of TV. The only thing I liked about him getting in is it GUARANTEES Frank Thomas making it also .........

BainesHOF
08-02-2005, 05:08 PM
Imagine the coverage Sandberg would have received if he actually deserved to be in the Hall of Fame.

fisk4ever
08-02-2005, 06:18 PM

Omigod, yes! Does anyone have a photo of that? I Googled, but no luck. I tried to describe that dress to a cub fan awhile back, and he would not believe. Didn't she wear it at the press conference when her man left the cubs or retired?