for two days in a row of the whole country hearing some good things

about this team......a nice change of pace, should be a good listen

Kogs35
07-31-2005, 01:34 PM
Stoney is in Baltimore to do tonight's ESPN broadcast, he both knows &

likes this Sox team, with Torborg on Fox yesterday this should make

John Miller,Steve Stone,Steve Phillips on the call tonight. morgan has his prior commitment today

MarySwiss
07-31-2005, 01:36 PM

I hope you're right, but when I tried to watch the ESPN coverage of the Sox/KC game last week, the team--which included Stone--drove me nuts with their endless chit-chat about totally irrrelevant garbage--what color shirts they were wearing, for example--and intermittent giggling.

silenceofthehawk
07-31-2005, 01:36 PM

Couldn't agree with you more. At least we'll get some real baseball talk tonight and not a bunch of over used catch phrases.

Meixner007
07-31-2005, 01:37 PM
morgan has his prior commitment today

:hawk
Yes!

HomerCoach
07-31-2005, 01:43 PM
I hope you're right, but when I tried to watch the ESPN coverage of the Sox/KC game last week, the team--which included Stone--drove me nuts with their endless chit-chat about totally irrrelevant garbage--what color shirts they were wearing, for example--and intermittent giggling.

Took the words out of my mouth!

SOX ADDICT '73
07-31-2005, 01:44 PM
this should make for two days in a row of the whole country hearing some good things about this team
I'm more interested in the whole country seeing some good things about this team. Though their last few opportunities have yielded positive results (including AJ's walkoff vs. LA and yesterday's comeback), the Sox have a tendency to crap down their leg on national TV.

chisoxfanatic
07-31-2005, 04:29 PM
I'm more interested in the whole country seeing some good things about this team. Though their last few opportunities have yielded positive results (including AJ's walkoff vs. LA and yesterday's comeback), the Sox have a tendency to crap down their leg on national TV.

The Sunday night game was on ESPN in the Dodger series...AJ's walkoff was on Saturday night. Rowand's 2-RBI single in the bottom of the 8th was that ESPN Sunday Night Baseball game.

The walkoff against LA happened against the Angels on ESPN on Memorial Day...Timo's 2-out 2-RBI single in the bottom of the 9th.

Just a few technicalities.

SoxRule56
07-31-2005, 04:34 PM
I hope we see a sweep tonight. That'll show some people we're for real and maybe ESPN will stop talking about the Yankees and the Red Sox, so we can here about the best team in the bigs.

FARMEO
07-31-2005, 04:43 PM
I hope we see a sweep tonight. That'll show some people we're for real and maybe ESPN will stop talking about the Yankees and the Red Sox, so we can here about the best team in the bigs.

Ca't sweep yet, one more game tomorrow.

my5thbench
07-31-2005, 05:16 PM
indeed...a day game on Monday

what holiday is it?

should be fun for us guys who don't work

Sonik22
07-31-2005, 06:23 PM
Thank god there is no joe morgan or jeff brantley lol.

SOX ADDICT '73
07-31-2005, 06:39 PM
The Sunday night game was on ESPN in the Dodger series...AJ's walkoff was on Saturday night. Rowand's 2-RBI single in the bottom of the 8th was that ESPN Sunday Night Baseball game.
Oops! :redface:
You're right, now that I think back on it. I guess that was such a sweet weekend that all the games have blurred together on me!
Nevertheless, my point still stands: they're doing a better job of winning lately on a national stage.

owensmouth
07-31-2005, 06:53 PM
I hope we see a sweep tonight. That'll show some people we're for real and maybe ESPN will stop talking about the Yankees and the Red Sox, so we can here about the best team in the bigs.Won't make any defference to the local sports show from Bristol. They're only gonna be truely interested in the nearest teams (Yankees, Red Sox and Mets). Get used to it. They get their information from the Globe, the Times and the Daily News. They get their tips from each other. Their non local input comes from guys like Mariotti, who are already on the payroll and have sworn alliegence to the east coast monstrosity.

DaleJRFan
07-31-2005, 09:55 PM

I have to say that these guys are doing a great job... I am surprised. Steve Phillips has been drooling over the Sox all night. Stone and Miller have been their usual selves.

Rocklive99
07-31-2005, 09:58 PM

Well, the FOX games are regional, so I'm not sure if that many more people saw the Sox yesterday, but maybe the areas around Baltimore

bigdommer
07-31-2005, 09:58 PM

I blame that on Steve Phillips. He is awful, and most of the words out of his mouth are irrelevant. All of his comments start with "When I was GM of the New York Mets..."

I know we all hate the Cubs, but I find Steve Stone to be a very good baseball man, and he is all about what has happened and what is going to happen next. The rest of these ESPN guys talk about themselves and get on their soapboxes. He tries not to talk about the Cubs, but the rest of the TV guys run out of things to say, so Cub talk always comes up.

DrCrawdad
07-31-2005, 10:09 PM
I blame that on Steve Phillips. He is awful, and most of the words out of his mouth are irrelevant. All of his comments start with "When I was GM of the New York Mets..."

I know we all hate the Cubs, but I find Steve Stone to be a very good baseball man, and he is all about what has happened and what is going to happen next. The rest of these ESPN guys talk about themselves and get on their soapboxes. He tries not to talk about the Cubs, but the rest of the TV guys run out of things to say, so Cub talk always comes up.

Regarding the Cubbies trade for Matt Lawton from the Pirates, Stone said, "The last time Jim Hendry made a trade deadline deal with the Pirates the Cubs got Ramirez, Lofton and Simon and the Cubs went on to win the NL Central. The Cubs are hoping for a repeat..."

Steve, the Cubs have no chance to win the NL Central this year.

Norberto7
07-31-2005, 10:26 PM
I did like Stone, playing the role of savant, saying in the first inning, "One more hard breaking ball down and off the plate, and Sosa will be out on strikes." Next pitch? Hard breaking ball down and away, Sosa out on strikes.

He sees! He knows!

jabrch
07-31-2005, 11:11 PM
I did like Stone, playing the role of savant, saying in the first inning, "One more hard breaking ball down and off the plate, and Sosa will be out on strikes." Next pitch? Hard breaking ball down and away, Sosa out on strikes.

He sees! He knows!

He is one of the best analysts I have heard. I enjoy both our teams; Rooney and Farmer and Hawk and DJ, but if one of the analysts were to retire or leave for other work, I'd be thrilled to have Stone in the booth. He calls it like he sees it.

TornLabrum
08-01-2005, 12:01 AM
Regarding the Cubbies trade for Matt Lawton from the Pirates, Stone said, "The last time Jim Hendry made a trade deadline deal with the Pirates the Cubs got Ramirez, Lofton and Simon and the Cubs went on to win the NL Central. The Cubs are hoping for a repeat..."

Come on, Doc! You know I can hope that it'll snow ice cream tonight. Anybody can hope for anything. That doesn't mean it's going to happen. I'm sure that's what the Cubs are hoping, so Stone was right on.

TornLabrum
08-01-2005, 12:02 AM
He is one of the best analysts I have heard. I enjoy both our teams; Rooney and Farmer and Hawk and DJ, but if one of the analysts were to retire or leave for other work, I'd be thrilled to have Stone in the booth. He calls it like he sees it.

With the Sox moving to The Score next year, much as I like Ed Farmer, it would be great to hear Stone paired up with John Rooney at least some of the time.

MRKARNO
08-01-2005, 12:12 AM

They would if it only took 88 wins to win the division like it did in the magical 2003 season.

DrCrawdad
08-01-2005, 12:17 AM
Come on, Doc! You know I can hope that it'll snow ice cream tonight. Anybody can hope for anything. That doesn't mean it's going to happen. I'm sure that's what the Cubs are hoping, so Stone was right on.

Drone is also the "expert analyst" who said on ESPN that there was no way the Cubbies would lose to the Marlins with a 3 games to 2 lead with the great Carrie Wood and then the messiah starting those two games.

tstrike2000
08-01-2005, 12:26 AM

He sees! He knows!

Definitely, I think Steve Stone is a very knowledgable analyst who seems to just stick with using his knowledge of the game. I usually liked Jon Miller because he has a great broadcasting voice which reminds of a Vin Scully or the guy that used to host TWIB. Steve Phillips is one of the worst "analysts" I've heard and tonight just further proved that. His wonderful coverage as to why Eric Byrnes of the Orioles dives head first into first base. "That's what Eric Byrnes is paid to do, get that front of his uniform dirty. It's in his genes to dive head first into first base even though it's not a good baseball play." Thanks for the expert analysis Steve!

fuzzy_patters
08-01-2005, 12:30 AM
Definitely, I think Steve Stone is a very knowledgable analyst who seems to just stick with using his knowledge of the game. I usually liked Jon Miller because he has a great broadcasting voice which reminds of a Vin Scully or the guy that used to host TWIB. Steve Phillips is one of the worst "analysts" I've heard and tonight just further proved that. His wonderful coverage as to why Eric Byrnes of the Orioles dives head first into first base. "That's what Eric Byrnes is paid to do, get that front of his uniform dirty. It's in his genes to dive head first into first base even though it's not a good baseball play." Thanks for the expert analysis Steve!

Mel Allen was the host of TWIB. "Well, How 'bout that?"

tstrike2000
08-01-2005, 12:33 AM
Mel Allen was the host of TWIB. "Well, How 'bout that?"

Ahh yes, Mel Allen. My mind drew a blank. Thanks. I used to love watching This Week in Baseball just for his narration.

TornLabrum
08-01-2005, 12:40 AM
Ahh yes, Mel Allen. My mind drew a blank. Thanks. I used to love watching This Week in Baseball just for his narration.

You would have loved him doing the World Series virtually every year. He also called the Rose Bowl for years. One of the greatest sports announcers EVER.

Chips
08-01-2005, 12:43 AM

He sees! He knows!

Steve Stone would make an excellent manager for any team out there. He is one of the most knowledgable baseball minds out there.

mr_genius
08-01-2005, 01:00 AM
Steve Stone would make an excellent manager for any team out there. He is one of the most knowledgable baseball minds out there.

maybe, but it's impossible to tell... Ozzie doesn't sound like he would be a good manager, but he obvously has been.

stoney would be a great pitching coach IMO

BainesHOF
08-01-2005, 01:29 AM
Stone is knowledgeable, but his announcing is overrated. He talks too much and too often his analysis is Little League stuff. Hawk is much more likely to give you a more in-depth major league look into things than Stone. In fact, I think Hawk flat out knows more about the game.

Additionally, Stone's arrogance is coming out more and more on the air, and it's not at all attractive to listen to. I'm not sure who's head would be bigger, Sammy Sosa's during his prime steroid days or Stone's after all of the Score's ass-kissing.

DaleJRFan
08-01-2005, 01:32 AM
Stone is knowledgeable, but his announcing is overrated. He talks too much and too often his analysis is Little League stuff. Hawk is much more likely to give you a more in-depth major league look into things than Stone. In fact, I think Hawk flat out knows more about the game.

Additionally, Stone's arrogance is coming out more and more on the air, and it's not at all attractive to listen to. I'm not sure who's head would be bigger, Sammy Sosa's during his prime steroid days or Stone's after all of the Score's ass-kissing.

The major difference between Stone and Hawk is that Stone is a professional broadcaster and is polished. Hawk is like chatting baseball with your uncle (you know, the cool uncle with the good stories). It depends on your personal taste, I suppose. Stone is perfect for national broadcasts whereas Hawk is perfect for us Sox fans.

Region Sox
08-01-2005, 01:39 AM
The major difference between Stone and Hawk is that Stone is a professional broadcaster and is polished. Hawk is like chatting baseball with your uncle (you know, the cool uncle with the good stories). It depends on your personal taste, I suppose. Stone is perfect for national broadcasts whereas Hawk is perfect for us Sox fans.

I prefer the Stone type softball announcer, and usually put AM1000 on when the local broadcast is on. but to each his own. It all works. What I don't like about Hawk is that usually when the Sox are not playing well it is someone else's fault. Umpires, weather, the opposing pitcher just had some "nasty" stuff, just missed a HR on a pop out, unwritten rules, golfing, famous people he knows etc. Then with Hawk you have the "Stretch, stretch" which was good last year but he had done it on some warning track hits this year. Coupled with "Stretch" you have the DJ "UT OH!" so it was time to usually go to the radio when available.

spongyfungy
08-01-2005, 02:28 AM
I guess I'm the only one who likes Steve Phillips. even if he does say alot of dumb things.

Steve Stone had a ton of makeup on tonight. Looked like a woman. He kind of resembled Dubya

Optipessimism
08-01-2005, 04:59 AM
I like Stone and I like Hawk, but I hate the Hawk-DJ combination. To me, the broadcast always comes across like it's Hawk's house and DJ came over to talk baseball, except for whatever reason Hawk doesn't want DJ in his house.

Beyond the obvious fact that there are too many extended periods of silence, I hate how Hawk always ignores DJ when he says something. DJ will set him up perfectly to analyze - which is his what he should be doing anyway - and Hawk will be silent for a couple seconds and then start talking about something else. I think a lot of the lack of chemistry is Hawk's fault as I don't think he sees DJ as a decent announcer.

I'd actually like to see Blackjack back again, but permanently. I think when he filled in for Hawk this year he did a terrific job and came off as a natural. I could say the same thing about Carmen DiFalco (don't know if that was spelled correctly) on play by play when he did that too. I'd like to see all three of those announce together, kind of like they did on Fox today, with DiFalco doing the PBP and McDowell and Hawk both providing the analysis, with Hawk doing his trademark calls. But that would just be my preferred scenario.

Although, like someone else said, it's all about preference. I like the baseball stories but I don't like the way Hawk and DJ will drag it those stories on and elaborate. I'd much rather have a game called with short notes and quick stories thrown in during or in between AB's.

fquaye149
08-01-2005, 07:45 AM
I prefer the Stone type softball announcer, and usually put AM1000 on when the local broadcast is on. but to each his own. It all works. What I don't like about Hawk is that usually when the Sox are not playing well it is someone else's fault. Umpires, weather, the opposing pitcher just had some "nasty" stuff, just missed a HR on a pop out, unwritten rules, golfing, famous people he knows etc. Then with Hawk you have the "Stretch, stretch" which was good last year but he had done it on some warning track hits this year. Coupled with "Stretch" you have the DJ "UT OH!" so it was time to usually go to the radio when available.

No need to apologize for preferring Rooney and Farmer to much of anyone.

They call a great game.

Podzilla_40
08-01-2005, 08:15 AM
In fact, I think Hawk flat out knows more about the game. I think you could not be any more wrong. Watch a game Stone does, he'll say what'll happen next, and boom, it happens. Watch a game Hawk does, between the silence and the "down home stories" about ol' Bill Weaverton and Sweet Wheels McGee you might hear something about baseball. Hawk is a fool and just needs to go. Hawk's more like your crazy uncle who is eccentric and really doesn't know much, while Stone is the rational one who understands it.

The Wall
08-01-2005, 08:59 AM
Jon Miller said during the top of 2nd inning that they were having this game to look a little closer into why the Sox were leading the majors with their record cuz it wasnt apparent in the statsheets. And then they never talked about how the Sox were doing it (was it me or was there no mention of Scottie's running game and Iguchi's sac outs and #3 hitters going the other way?).

To top it off they were blabbering about some trade the scrubs made to get some jerk in lieu of a good young Jody Gerut. Can they ever do a Sox game without talking scrubs? Its one thing to talk about trades but totally another to talk 5 seconds on all other trades combined and 5 minutes on that stupid scrub trade....during a national telecast Sox game in which they were whooping the O's.

wdelaney72
08-01-2005, 09:31 AM

To an extent I agree with you. It's no secret Stone is a complete jag of a person. And like many around this site, I love Hawk. But Steve Stone is not overrated. He is the best color analyst I've EVER heard. Period. Yes, at times, you could argue he talks too much, but that's a pretty nice problem to have, considering he's still giving you insightful baseball information. Little League stuff... please. You're reaching with that one.

slavko
08-01-2005, 11:08 AM
We have a tendency to remember Stone's correct predictions during a game and forget all the wrong ones, and there are many wrong ones. Has he changed his prediction of a month ago that the Twins would catch and pass the Sox? I haven't been following him.

DrCrawdad
08-01-2005, 11:18 AM
We have a tendency to remember Stone's correct predictions during a game and forget all the wrong ones, and there are many wrong ones. Has he changed his prediction of a month ago that the Twins would catch and pass the Sox? I haven't been following him.

Drone also analyzed the Sox as losing too much offense in their trading C-Lee and losing Magglio. On the other hand, Drone said that the Cubs had NOT lost much offensively with the loss of Sosa and Alou.

Drone was wrong on both.

As you stated, Drone was wrong on his claim that the Twins would pass the Sox. We'll see if Drone is wrong on his continued prediction that the Cubs would win the Wild Card.

slavko
08-02-2005, 10:58 PM
Drone also analyzed the Sox as losing too much offense in their trading C-Lee and losing Magglio. On the other hand, Drone said that the Cubs had NOT lost much offensively with the loss of Sosa and Alou.

Drone was wrong on both.

As you stated, Drone was wrong on his claim that the Twins would pass the Sox. We'll see if Drone is wrong on his continued prediction that the Cubs would win the Wild Card.

The Twins did pass the Indians.:smile:

SpringfldFan
08-03-2005, 09:56 AM
"I would say right now the White Sox are a good team, but not a great team"

-Steve Stone: June, 2005