PDA

View Full Version : Chicago NewsMedia Watch 7/31/05

Hangar18
07-31-2005, 10:34 AM
Not sure what happened to my first post .........
Cubs continue to assualt the public with more media coverage ....
not bad for a .500 team eh?

FOX yesterday made dang sure they werent showing any of the fairly vocal and cheering SOX fans at the game. AJ hit his 3run homer late in the game giving the sox the lead, and you could hear the CHEERS very loudly in the park, making the viewer wonder just how many SOX fans were in the park. The Camera followed AJ as he hifived players to the dugout ...but something peculiar happened. As soon as he got to the dugout, the camera picked up numerous SOX fans who were behind the dugout, wearing their jerseys, caps, clapping cheering it was awesome. BUT the best part, was 2 fans were waving those huge banner/flags .....very proudly and very conspicuously .........I cheered and said WOW theyre showing SOX fans ...but IMMMEDIATELY, the Camera pulled away from the fans .....messing up the shot of AJ, and the shot was cut off. FOX simply didnt want to show any SOX fans cheering is what happened, I dont care what they say .............the shot was slowly developing, only to have it quickly cut off.
BS.
Saturday: Cubune gave the 4-4 Cub stories to SOx stories
Saturday: Cub Times gave 4-3 advantage Cub stories to SOX stories

Sunday 7/31/05
Cubune:
6 Cub stories
4 Sox stories
Cub-Times:
8 Cub stories
6 Sox stories

Standings as of only 7/25/05
3rd place, 2 games over .500 CUBS, 71 stories
1st place, 32 games over .500 SOX, 38 stories

WHATS WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE?

SoXPriDe33
07-31-2005, 10:37 AM
The front page of the Sport Section in the Daily Herald has a HUGE picture of Ryne Sandberg. It's so big you can only see his forehead without unfolding the paper. It's ridiculious.

iamkoza
07-31-2005, 10:41 AM

FOX yesterday made dang sure they werent showing any of the fairly vocal and cheering SOX fans at the game. AJ hit his 3run homer late in the game giving the sox the lead, and you could hear the CHEERS very loudly in the park, making the viewer wonder just how many SOX fans were in the park. The Camera followed AJ as he hifived players to the dugout ...but something peculiar happened. As soon as he got to the dugout, the camera picked up numerous SOX fans who were behind the dugout, wearing their jerseys, caps, clapping cheering it was awesome. BUT the best part, was 2 fans were waving those huge banner/flags .....very proudly and very conspicuously .........I cheered and said WOW theyre showing SOX fans ...but IMMMEDIATELY, the Camera pulled away from the fans .....messing up the shot of AJ, and the shot was cut off. FOX simply didnt want to show any SOX fans cheering is what happened, I dont care what they say .............the shot was slowly developing, only to have it quickly cut off.
BS.

Sunday 7/31/05
Cubune:
6 Cub stories
4 Sox stories
Cub-Times:
8 Cub stories
6 Sox stories

have any actualy numbers of fans for each team in the chicagoland area ever been found or researched? I'm just going to assume that there are more cub fans based off nothing but a guess. If there are more cub fans reading the cubune, then shouldnt they cater to those fans by having more cub information than they do sox? Excuse my logic if it is too simple

Hangar18
07-31-2005, 10:45 AM
have any actualy numbers of fans for each team in the chicagoland area ever been found or researched? I'm just going to assume that there are more cub fans based off nothing but a guess. If there are more cub fans reading the cubune, then shouldnt they cater to those fans by having more cub information than they do sox? Excuse my logic if it is too simple

It doesnt work that way. The Tribune is supposed to be a NEWSpapers,
not a Propoganda Paper. Im sure at some point, the Cubune will have to admit that they arent the unbiased, newsworthy source of information that they claimed to be for years, and just say that they are the Cub-Biased, Propoganda journal that they really are, and are simply "CATERING" to their huge cub fan base.

munchman33
07-31-2005, 10:46 AM

The vast majority of fans are casual fans who don't necessarily support either team. The Tribune continues unfair coverage to help market the Flubs to them.

elrod
07-31-2005, 10:47 AM

BS.

Sunday 7/31/05
Cubune:
6 Cub stories
4 Sox stories
Cub-Times:
8 Cub stories
6 Sox stories

I just watched the replay of it and while there wasn't much of the Sox banner after AJ's homer, they did show the banner fairly clearly after Dye's homer. In fact, they showed it for awhile before they panned over to the Orioles moping in their dugout. I did notice the loud roar for AJ's home run, though.

TornLabrum
07-31-2005, 10:48 AM

Let me ask you this: Which team is the bigger story: the Cubs (2 games over .500) or the Sox (32 games over .500). Now, which should the media be devoting the bulk of their space/time for?

Hokiesox
07-31-2005, 10:50 AM

BS.

Sunday 7/31/05
Cubune:
6 Cub stories
4 Sox stories
Cub-Times:
8 Cub stories
6 Sox stories

I was cheering, right along with some dude I met from Fort Wayne. Hey man! Never did get your name...

But we got yelled at by some jaded baltimore fan for jumping up and going nuts. I turned around, saw he had a purple heart cap on, and a bunch of guys with him from the NYFD and some other really big dudes. I didn't want to cause a fuss, so I sat back down, just in time to see Dye's HR and start cheering again. I'll cheer loudly tonight too, I'm right above the press box tonight!

Hangar18
07-31-2005, 10:51 AM
If there are more cub fans reading the cubune, then shouldnt they cater to those fans by having more cub information than they do sox?

Per the precedent already in place per Tribune stories, whichever of the teams was doing "better", they would get 4X the coverage, as the Cubs received back in 2003 and 2004. Yet somehow, the logic went out the window once the SOX started winning big as they have. The Cubs are somehow still winning
as far as coverage goes ..........
the SOX are in ...........
1st Place, 32 games OVER .500 and receiving 38 stories
while the Cubs are in
3rd Place, 2 games barely over .500 and receiving 71 stories.

Whats wrong with this picture?

Cowhead418
07-31-2005, 11:28 AM
Per the precedent already in place per Tribune stories, whichever of the teams was doing "better", they would get 4X the coverage, as the Cubs received back in 2003 and 2004. Yet somehow, the logic went out the window once the SOX started winning big as they have. The Cubs are somehow still winning
as far as coverage goes ..........
the SOX are in ...........
1st Place, 32 games OVER .500 and receiving 38 stories
while the Cubs are in
3rd Place, 2 games barely over .500 and receiving 71 stories.

Whats wrong with this picture?
Hanger, you really should keep this Media Watch thing going through the rest of the season and then e-mail the results to the Cubune. It'd be interesting to see their reply.

Palehose13
07-31-2005, 11:34 AM
Hangar,

I don't disagree with your assessment of the media bias in Chicago. However, I do remember at one point during the game yesterday they showed numerous fans with Sox hats and Torborg stated "There are a lot of Sox fans here." I didn't notice any cutting away too quickliy.

chuckn98229
07-31-2005, 12:05 PM
Just like their ticket-scalping business - the Tribune is a very duplicitous company. Time and time again they have displayed their true sentiments through their media outlets. To use the phrase 'journalistic integrity' and 'Chicago Tribune' in the same sentence would be ludicrous - unless you wanted to give an example of the polar opposite. And then to have one of their shills like old Georgie-boy come to their defense really insults our intelligence. And to think, I spent a few years when I was a boy delivering that rag.

Podzilla_40
07-31-2005, 12:05 PM
What do you expect? One of their former players is going into the HOF, that doesn't happen very often...Also, in the SUN-Times, Greg Couch wrote an article titled "Shameless" about the Tribune's scalping of Cub tickets.

FoulTerritory
07-31-2005, 01:12 PM

Its the ol' chicken or egg question here. The reason your logic is faulty is that the amount of coverage influeces the amount of fans each team has. So, coverage should not be determined by amount of fans per team, because coverage in part determines the amount of fans per team (especially involving the casual fans, as someone else already posted).

johnny bench
07-31-2005, 01:55 PM
Wait a minute...

This is the same corporation that cheated some of its customers by falsely inflating readership numbers.

This is the same corporation which continues to cheat other of its customers by artificially raising prices on Cubs tickets.

What do you expect?