PDA

View Full Version : Joe Morgan's incredible stats

hose
07-31-2005, 09:21 AM
http://www.baseball-reference.com/m/morgajo02.shtml

1972-obp .417
1973-obp .406
1974-obp .427
1975-obp .466 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
1976-obp .444
1977-obp .417

Joe had a lifetime obp of .392 and had 8 years of over .400 (not counting 1968 )

Just to put it into perspective Ryne Sandburg's best year ever was an obp of .379 and a lifetime obp at .344

MRKARNO
07-31-2005, 10:52 AM
I could never understand why an absolute on base machine like Joe Morgan has become the leader of the anti-stathead crowd. The guy hit .300 only twice in his career, but his OBP was routinely over .400 (8 times in seasons in which he played more than 100 games). By almost all statistical measures, he was the best offensive second baseman since WWII.

elrod
07-31-2005, 10:53 AM
But I thought Bret Boone was the best offensive 2B and that's why he is going to save the Twins' season.

Podzilla_40
07-31-2005, 11:02 AM
it's amazing how such an incredibly smart baseball player could become such an incredibly stupid douchebag

hose
07-31-2005, 11:33 AM
I could never understand why an absolute on base machine like Joe Morgan has become the leader of the anti-stathead crowd. The guy hit .300 only twice in his career, but his OBP was routinely over .400 (8 times in seasons in which he played more than 100 games). By almost all statistical measures, he was the best offensive second baseman since WWII.

Joe preaches more of a complete game which includes manufacturing runs such as sac-bunting and stealing instead of always waiting for the 3-run homer. This tends to put most statheads into a tizzy.

The real reason statheads don't care for Morgan is because Joe singles out Oakland's refusal to bunt or steal when he does there game on ESPN.

Oakland/Beane is the holy grail for statheads.

Podzilla_40
07-31-2005, 11:59 AM
The reason statheads hate Morgan is because he knows absolutely nothing about "moneyball." He still thinks Beane wrote the book himself. Morgan is just an idiot. He wrote an article a few years ago for ESPN where he gave the top 5 things needed in a leadoff hitter. Number one was speed, number four or five was on base percentage...that tells me all I need to know about Joe Morgan.

hose
07-31-2005, 12:09 PM
The reason statheads hate Morgan is because he knows absolutely nothing about "moneyball." He still thinks Beane wrote the book himself. Morgan is just an idiot. He wrote an article a few years ago for ESPN where he gave the top 5 things needed in a leadoff hitter. Number one was speed, number four or five was on base percentage...that tells me all I need to know about Joe Morgan.

Who has a bigger ego Joe or Billy? :tongue:

I'll say Joe.

silenceofthehawk
07-31-2005, 12:39 PM
:redneck Ha !it's amazing how such an incredibly smart baseball player could become such an incredibly stupid douchebag

batmanZoSo
07-31-2005, 04:49 PM
.Sandberg had great hands and good range for a big guy, and about even in power, with Sandberg having a few breakout years with 30 homers, and 40 in 1990. Morgan was a flat out stud. I just need to look at his stats to know he was much better than Sandberg.

silenceofthehawk
07-31-2005, 04:57 PM
.Sandberg had great hands and good range for a big guy, and about even in power, with Sandberg having a few breakout years with 30 homers, and 40 in 1990. Morgan was a flat out stud. I just need to look at his stats to know he was much better than Sandberg.
Mr. Obvious has just entered the building.:bandance:

batmanZoSo
07-31-2005, 05:11 PM
Mr. Obvious has just entered the building.:bandance:

It's Captain Obvious to you, mister. :cool:

hose
07-31-2005, 05:12 PM

You could say Paul Sullivan's treatment of the Big Hurt in today's Trib inspired me to post the facts about Joe Morgan's stats.

Morgan was the MVP of one of the best teams in the history of MLB. Ryno's claim to fame was hitting 2 home runs against St. Louis in a meaningless regular season game. But all I hear from the Cub fans at work is how Sandburg was better than little Joe. I'll never convince them and I don't even bring up the NLCS against SD when Ryno let the routine grounder go right between his legs.

SOX ADDICT '73
07-31-2005, 05:18 PM
Who has a bigger ego Joe or Billy? :tongue:

I'll say Joe.
I'd say you were right, considering his rather classless boycott of Sandberg's HOF induction. Did Morgan really think they were going to close the door to all other 2B-men once he was enshrined?

MRKARNO
07-31-2005, 05:23 PM
Joe Morgan was many times the player that Sandberg was. The only thing they have in common are the power numbers, the average and maybe a shinier fielding percentage for Ryne. But Morgan walked about 80% more than he struck out (as opposed to Ryno, who has the most Ks of any 2B in Cooperstown and had about 50% more K's than BBs). Morgan also was a major speed threat, stealing 689 bases in his career while getting caught only 162 times, for an 80% SB clip, which is excellent.

hose
07-31-2005, 05:30 PM
I'd say you were right, considering his rather classless boycott of Sandberg's HOF induction. Did Morgan really think they were going to close the door to all other 2B-men once he was enshrined?

He better not because Robbie Alomar is a lock and he is next in line.

Jeff Kent might possibly be knocking at the door along with Biggio.

Joe is going to have to get use to a few more second baseman in the HoF.:cool:

chaerulez
07-31-2005, 05:43 PM
it's amazing how such an incredibly smart baseball player could become such an incredibly stupid douchebag

I agree, it's ironic that he's the exact type of player the A's would want...

Paulwny
07-31-2005, 05:43 PM

Morgan was one of the few outside Chi. who pushed for Fox' induction into the hof.
He also attended and gave a speech praising Nellie.

SOXSINCE'70
07-31-2005, 05:50 PM
It's Captain Obvious to you, mister. :cool:

Not to be confused with Professor Chaos or Captain Crunch.:D: :D: :D:

SOXSINCE'70
07-31-2005, 05:51 PM
Morgan was one of the few outside Chi. who pushed for Fox' induction into the hof.
He also attended and gave a speech praising Nellie.

FYI,Fox was one of Morgan's first coaches when he was a member of
the Houston Colt 45's (they became the Houston Astros when they
moved to the Astrodome in 1965).

hose
07-31-2005, 05:57 PM

Joe looked up to Nellie....and most everybody else *rimshot:tongue:

Paulwny
07-31-2005, 06:04 PM

Yep, even though my grey cells are rotting I still remember Fox being a coach with the 45's. a long long time ago.

TommyJohn
07-31-2005, 07:01 PM
I'll never convince them and I don't even bring up the NLCS against SD when Ryno let the routine grounder go right between his legs.

Good thing, too. You would be talking about something that never happened.

Clembasbal
07-31-2005, 07:36 PM
I don't like Sandberg because he was a Cub, but he belongs in the HOF. Offense doesn't always make you a HOF member, but he has that and he has defense too.

Morgan is egotistic and is a jerk. He still thinks Sandberg is a 3B and should have his stats compared to third-basemen because he came up as one. He is a fool and an idiot.

hose
07-31-2005, 11:00 PM

I seem to recall Sandburg letting the ball go under his glove at San Diego and charged with an error.

tstrike2000
07-31-2005, 11:44 PM
Morgan was the MVP of one of the best teams in the history of MLB. Ryno's claim to fame was hitting 2 home runs against St. Louis in a meaningless regular season game. But all I hear from the Cub fans at work is how Sandburg was better than little Joe. I'll never convince them and I don't even bring up the NLCS against SD when Ryno let the routine grounder go right between his legs.

Unfortunately, the cub fans will always have a little delusion of granduer. Sandburg was obviously a solid 2B, but I don't think his range was all that great and I never saw him actually dive for a ball. Morgan definitely has an argument to be the better of the two.

jake27
08-01-2005, 12:11 AM
.466 obp is awesome. that got me to look up barry bonds obp tho...

01' - .515
02' - .582
03' - .529
04' - .609

lifetime obp - .443
for some reason i forgot he had over a .600 obp in a season :o:. while a ton of those were intentional walks and pitchers pitching around him, its still a mind blowing stat.

but morgans stat stands out more because he wasnt a guy gettign walked intentionaly, he was being pitched to. and to go with that great obp of 75', he had 94 sb's and was caught only 10 times. morgan was amazing

hose
08-01-2005, 06:04 AM

It happened.

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/B10060SDN1984.htm

PADRES 8TH: COTTO STAYED IN GAME (PLAYING RF); SMITH REPLACED
HEBNER (PITCHING); VERYZER REPLACED STODDARD (PLAYING SS);
Kennedy grounded out (first to pitcher); SALAZAR BATTED FOR
MCREYNOLDS; Salazar grounded out (third to first); Martinez
singled to pitcher; Templeton reached on an error by Sandberg
[Martinez to second]; SUMMERS BATTED FOR GOSSAGE; Summers struck
out; 0 R, 1 H, 1 E, 2 LOB. Cubs 5, Padres 5.

Tragg
08-01-2005, 09:23 AM
Morgan was much better than Sandberg.
I have no problem with Sandberg in the hall of fame (if Kirby Puckett can get there on the first ballot....), but I wonder, would he be in the Hall of Fame right now, had he NOT been televised all over the country on the superstation with Harry Carey bellowing his greatness?

PatK
08-01-2005, 09:45 AM
Although Sandberg was probably my favorite player as a kid (I played 2nd base), he wasn't exactly a guy that jumped out at you. You weren't scared or intimidated by the guy at the plate or fearful of what he could do if he got on.

Morgan was a little more feared amongst his opposition.

sthbndsox
08-01-2005, 10:57 PM

Amen.

The Racehorse
08-02-2005, 06:00 AM
On the air, Joe Morgan always comes across to me as the great defender of second baseman everywhere... whether he's talking about Sandberg, Kent, or some obscure player, if their position in the field is 2B, he's their biggest booster.

Nellie_Fox
08-03-2005, 12:58 AM
What evidence is there, other than Cubs fan whining, that Morgan "boycotted" Sandberg's induction? Is he required to go to Cooperstown every year just because he's a HOF member?

They said that his daughter was playing in a national championship soccer game at some level, and he chose to be there. I would too.

TornLabrum
08-03-2005, 07:58 AM
What evidence is there, other than Cubs fan whining, that Morgan "boycotted" Sandberg's induction? Is he required to go to Cooperstown every year just because he's a HOF member?

They said that his daughter was playing in a national championship soccer game at some level, and he chose to be there. I would too.

Come on, Nellie! What are you thinking???? Any Cubs fan will tell you that Ryno's induction should be more important to everyone, including Joe Morgan, than something involving one's own family!