PDA

View Full Version : Possible or Pipe Dream?

Hosey22
07-31-2005, 02:15 AM
Frank Thomas has been sidelined yet again with a fracture. From what I have read it will take 6-8 weeks for him to recover. That brings us to about Sept. 20ish. What are the chances that Sept. 20 comes around and Frank starts workin out a bit on his foot, that there is pain but it seems that he might be able to work through it. What are the chances that we might see Frank to some capacity in the first or second round of the playoffs if we are to make it that far? Is this just being waaaay to optimistic or is there a possibility that this could happen?

SABRSox
07-31-2005, 03:10 AM
Frank Thomas has been sidelined yet again with a fracture. From what I have read it will take 6-8 weeks for him to recover. That brings us to about Sept. 20ish. What are the chances that Sept. 20 comes around and Frank starts workin out a bit on his foot, that there is pain but it seems that he might be able to work through it. What are the chances that we might see Frank to some capacity in the first or second round of the playoffs if we are to make it that far? Is this just being waaaay to optimistic or is there a possibility that this could happen?

I was thinking about this, and perhaps he might make a Kirk Gibson-esque appearance in the playoffs, coming off the bench. That would be a fantastic sight. I don't know if that's possible, but I'll keep my fingers crossed.

SpartanSoxFan
07-31-2005, 03:16 AM
If he really has a new fracture in his foot, I don't see him playing for the Sox again. He took almost a full year to make it back from his previous ankle injury. I hope I am wrong because I love Frank and wish he could be a contributor for the remainder of this magical season.

samram
07-31-2005, 07:29 AM
If he really has a new fracture in his foot, I don't see him playing for the Sox again. He took almost a full year to make it back from his previous ankle injury. I hope I am wrong because I love Frank and wish he could be a contributor for the remainder of this magical season.

Yeah, I don't think there's anyway he's back this season, having suffered another fracture and all. One has to remember that when athletes are rehabbing from injuries, they go and do the same thing(s) they were doing to cause the injury. It's like charging your cell phone with the power on- for every bit of juice that's added, some it being used.

I say if Frank's back in a Sox uniform, it would be next May at earliest.

dickallen15
07-31-2005, 09:50 AM
Please. He is done for the season. Even if his fracture would have healed by the middle of Sept. his legs would need some work before he would be ready to play. He would be worthless in the playoffs.

He gone
07-31-2005, 10:47 AM
PIPE DREAM......

zach074
07-31-2005, 11:21 AM
Its possible, stranger things have happend.

Brian26
07-31-2005, 11:45 AM
Hold on, guys. This thought has been on my mind for the past couple of days too. Let's just consider...if the Sox are willing to risk the one roster spot and carry him on their postseason roster, Frank wouldn't be needed to play the field or do significant running. It would be strictly as a dangerous-as-hell pinch hitter off the bench in late-inning situations. Also, this injury is a bit different than last year's in the sense that Frank isn't going to have a surgery (I'll wait for Beckett to weigh-in on this, since I'm not an expert). Supposedly, based on what I heard on the radio from Herm yesterday, the new fracture will be healed in about 8 weeks with soley the use of the cast. I don't think this idea is as far-fetched as some people think it is. If Frank wants to be a part of the postseason, this might be something to think about.

Ol' No. 2
07-31-2005, 11:45 AM
I'd say it depends on the severity of the fracture and how well it heals. Last year's injury didn't heal on its own and he had to have surgery. If this one heals on its own, it's possible he could be back for the playoffs. A longshot, but possible.

DrummerGeorgefan
07-31-2005, 11:57 AM
I say its mostly fantasy, but agree with those who said stranger things have happened. Terrell Owens bounced back just for the Super Bowl.

hose
07-31-2005, 12:00 PM
I was thinking about this, and perhaps he might make a Kirk Gibson-esque appearance in the playoffs, coming off the bench. That would be a fantastic sight. I don't know if that's possible, but I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Frank wins the game with a walk off homer and limps around the bases in a specially designed pair of spikes by Beckett 21.:bandance::bandance::bandance:

Lip Man 1
07-31-2005, 12:55 PM
Even his doctor and Herm Schneider say the chances of him playing this season are remote...this is a pipe dream.

We will see Frank in October however it will simply be to throw out the first ball before game #1 of the ALDS.

Lip

eastchicagosoxfan
07-31-2005, 01:18 PM
Thomas isn't returning this year. He only looked healthy for three weeks or so this year. Looking to next year, I'll pose a question from the standpoint of ignorance. Is there a such thing as reconstructive foot surgery? There's reconstructive elbow surgery, are there similar procedures for the foot?

soxwon
07-31-2005, 05:09 PM
Im sad to admit, but i think Frank has played his last game
as a white sox!!!
in all honesty- the sox are not going to fork out $12 mill next year.

SABRSox
07-31-2005, 05:38 PM
Im sad to admit, but i think Frank has played his last game
as a white sox!!!
in all honesty- the sox are not going to fork out $12 mill next year.

No, they won't, but I can see some scenarios in which the contract is re-worked for less money and Frank returns. I don't think any team is going to give him $12mil next year.

soxwon
07-31-2005, 06:54 PM
No, they won't, but I can see some scenarios in which the contract is re-worked for less money and Frank returns. I don't think any team is going to give him $12mil next year.

i hope your right but his injury MIGHT be so severe he has to retire.

MIgrenade
07-31-2005, 06:58 PM
I'm going to be honest, I don't want a guy who will not have swung a bat for 2 months to come into a playoff game in the eighth or ninth with the game on the line. Even if he got healthy enough to play I doubt he will have his hitting eye back by the post season.

MiamiSpartan
07-31-2005, 07:32 PM

I have the same fears....

also, like your screen name!!:D: :bandance: