PDA

View Full Version : The World Hears about Chicago's Second Team

TornLabrum
07-31-2005, 12:26 AM
I'd hoped for better, but it didn't work out that way. Last week I was interviewed by a reporter from Reuters who was doing an article on Sox fans vs. Cubs fans, and the divisions within the city between them.

Unfortunately, when Dybas and Ligue came up, she or her editor chose to omit what I had to say about the former being a Cubs fan and the latter not even a baseball fan. Oh, well...

If you're interested, here's the link:

http://channels.netscape.com/ns/celebrity/story.jsp?id=2005072621050002782254&dt=20050726210500&w=RTR&coview=

DaleJRFan
07-31-2005, 12:32 AM
"The Cubs are lovable, the Sox are overlooked," he wrote. "The Cubs have Wrigley, the Sox have a characterless barn."
All this does is make me hate them even more.

TornLabrum
07-31-2005, 12:35 AM
All this does is make me hate them even more.

And let me quickly point out that the "he" in question is NOT me (for those who haven't read it yet).

iamkoza
07-31-2005, 12:36 AM
What's the point of that article?

TornLabrum
07-31-2005, 12:39 AM
What's the point of that article?

According to the writer, since Reuters is the major wire service in Europe, it was supposed to give readers outside of the United States an idea of why the Sox have the best record in baseball but seem to be ignored by fans here. I'd go deeper into some of the other things she left out that help to blow that thesis out of the water, but that would turn this into a topic that has been forbidden. I'll probably mention it in tomorrow's Fallen Arches.

chisoxfanatic
07-31-2005, 12:52 AM
The Cubs, who stand a distant second in their division, regularly play before sold-out crowds while the White Sox manage to draw a full house only when big-name rivals such as the defending champion Boston Red Sox take the field.

Did we not have a sell-out (and two other close-to-being sellouts) against the DETROIT TIGERS??? I don't care that Magglio was returning, it was the friggen TIGERS for crying out loud! The Sox have been drawing much better lately. Of course, noone in the media will even take notice, because they're so busy gazing at Wrigley's Weeds!!!

BTW, Hal...God bless you and your Fallen Arches columns!!!

Foulke You
07-31-2005, 02:18 AM
Did we not have a sell-out (and two other close-to-being sellouts) against the DETROIT TIGERS??? I don't care that Magglio was returning, it was the friggen TIGERS for crying out loud! The Sox have been drawing much better lately. Of course, noone in the media will even take notice, because they're so busy gazing at Wrigley's Weeds!
I was thinking the same thing. I guess I imagined attending that exciting SELLOUT game against the Tigers on Monday where Crede blasted a 3 run bomb to put us in front. The other two games of the Tigers series had big crowds too! I guess it was the HUGE contingent of Tigers fans that must have helped us sellout the stadium.

Optipessimism
07-31-2005, 02:23 AM
According to the writer, since Reuters is the major wire service in Europe, it was supposed to give readers outside of the United States an idea of why the Sox have the best record in baseball but seem to be ignored by fans here. I'd go deeper into some of the other things she left out that help to blow that thesis out of the water, but that would turn this into a topic that has been forbidden. I'll probably mention it in tomorrow's Fallen Arches.

News to Europe from the United States:

Soccer sucks.

Mr. White Sox
07-31-2005, 02:37 AM

Soccer sucks.

News to Europe from White Sox fans:
No, no, musn't get pissed. Musn't. Get. Pissed.
:prozac

That may be the most ignorant, self-serving, obnoxious, one-sided, biased, stereotypical, uninformative article in the history of articles. And that includes Masserotti's POS article on the Sox.

Optipessimism
07-31-2005, 03:26 AM
The article sucks, but it does point out some facts and perceptions that still do exist in a city that, for now, loves the Flubs.

My biggest complaint is that they didn't mention attendance has been rising as the team keeps on winning, instead trying to attribute it solely to the presence of the BlowSox. They also failed to recognize that Chicago is the third largest market in the nation. By market, we are not talking about the city of Chicago. You have to mention our popularity in the suburbs. I mean, people have cars. Just because a lot of Sox fans don't live within the city limits doesn't mean they won't support the team.

Also, they do paint an effective pitcure of Wrigley by saying 'a classic old ballpark that sits in a charming neighborhood flanked by trendy restaurants and bars.' When translated from I-love-you-you-love-me-Barney-tourist happy language, that statement reads 'a decrepit building in the middle of Boys town full of trendy gay bars and restaurants.'

The article admits that Flubs maintain popularity in Chicago because it is trendy, and infers that the 'fans' that attend do not care much about baseball. In the end it brings up the question of the Sox facing the Cards in the World Series, asking 'which side would (Flub fans) support?' This is after noting that Flub fans dislike the Cards more than the Sox, so it pretty much says that there will be Flub fans who will, even reluctantly, root for the South Side in that scenario.

Overall, I think it just says what everyone already knows. Sox fans, as true baseball fans, support the team when they win. Flub fans, on the other hand, will continue to be a giant ****ing glaring malignant tumor on the side of baseball's beautiful face, ceaselessly travelling in swarms up and down Clark and Addison as long as there is a healthy supply of beer and gay bars.
**** the Flubs.

TommyJohn
07-31-2005, 06:37 AM
I'd hoped for better, but it didn't work out that way. Last week I was interviewed by a reporter from Reuters who was doing an article on Sox fans vs. Cubs fans, and the divisions within the city between them.

Unfortunately, when Dybas and Ligue came up, she or her editor chose to omit what I had to say about the former being a Cubs fan and the latter not even a baseball fan. Oh, well...

If you're interested, here's the link:

http://channels.netscape.com/ns/celebrity/story.jsp?id=2005072621050002782254&dt=20050726210500&w=RTR&coview=

**** the media, I don't care if it is European. They are repeating the same
bull****. I'm sure all the garbage throwers, bullpen brawlers and Bartman
nuts rated a mention too, right?

And am I the only person who finds it ironic that the European wire service
is invoking the names of Ligue and Dybas, and leaving out Hal's inconvenient
facts? I guess there haven't been any soccer riots lately.

C-Dawg
07-31-2005, 06:56 AM

Did they mention the Cub fans who stole the hat from the Dodger pitcher in the bullpen a few years ago? (I haven't read the article)

TornLabrum
07-31-2005, 07:12 AM
Did they mention the Cub fans who stole the hat from the Dodger pitcher in the bullpen a few years ago? (I haven't read the article)

I'll give you three guesses. The thing that really ticks me off is that she claims to be a Sox fan.

Wsoxmike59
07-31-2005, 07:50 AM
I've forgotten who made the quote in the book Ball 4. (it was either Steve Hovley or Marty Pattin) "the media is an ass!!"

Case in point. Check out the caption under this photo from Yahoo. Who in the HeLL is Carl Edwards???????

http://us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg.com/p/ap/20050730/capt.bab10507301935.white_sox_orioles_bab105.jpg?x =380&y=324&sig=jeHS_v0xMAszU6Z7Mw88ag--

Chicago White Sox's Tadahito Iguchi, left, slides safely into home as Baltimore Orioles catcher Sal Fasano loses control of the throw in the third inning Saturday, July 30, 2005, in Baltimore. Iguchi scored on a sacrafice fly by White Sox's Carl Edwards. (AP Photo/Chris Gardner)

rdivaldi
07-31-2005, 07:50 AM
Critics say it resembles a giant cement bowl surrounded by parking lots and train tracks within sight of a tract of low-income housing.

Which were torn down 3 YEARS AGO. Sigh, another lazy, misinformed journalist does the Sox no favors.

TommyJohn
07-31-2005, 08:07 AM
My fondest desire is for some "mediot" to come up to me and discuss such
matters. I'd tell him/her to go jump in the lake.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-31-2005, 08:46 AM
Kudos to Torn for trying to clarify the topic for the Reuters reporter. He gave the reporter the right perspective about baseball fans vs. tourists, but Reuters just filled column inches with the usual b.s. He even dwells on the Dybas and Ligue incidents, never pointing out similar cases of fan misbehavior at the very ballpark he and the dopes he quotes from Cal State-Bakersfield and Sports Illustrated hold up as some sort of idyllic refuge!
:o:

Same ****... different day. Even the Wall Street Journal did a better job than this, a very low standard, indeed.

Frankly it reads like something MediaTroll Moronotti would have written. Maybe ESPN-Chicago wants to hire this guy for their morning drive slot?
:cool:

Hangar18
07-31-2005, 08:57 AM
People in Europe now will associate Ligue (not even a fan) and Dybas (bitgtime Cub fan hanging out at Soxpark) as what happens at The Cell. Now you see why I hate the media? Now you see what happens when you let the media run wild and unchecked? Chairman Reinsdorf .........this is what happens when you tell the media this is a "cubs town". Some of the blame rests on your shoulders (and wallet)

TornLabrum
07-31-2005, 09:32 AM
FYI: The next "Fallen Arches" column (sent this morning to PHG) will discuss both the Reuters story and Sullivan's Thomas story.

shoota
07-31-2005, 10:08 AM
The article sucks, but it does point out some facts and perceptions that still do exist in a city that, for now, loves the Flubs.

My biggest complaint is that they didn't mention attendance has been rising as the team keeps on winning, instead trying to attribute it solely to the presence of the BlowSox.

Also, they do paint an effective pitcure of Wrigley by saying 'a classic old ballpark that sits in a charming neighborhood flanked by trendy restaurants and bars.' When translated from I-love-you-you-love-me-Barney-tourist happy language, that statement reads 'a decrepit building in the middle of Boys town full of trendy gay bars and restaurants.

Good points. I'd also like to draw attention to her wording of this sentence: "Left-fielder Scott Podsednik won a fan vote for the last roster spot at this year's All-Star game, beating two New York Yankees including top player Derek Jeter. " Top player? A better description of Jeter would be "5-time All-Star," "fan-favorite" or something similar. Using "top player" sounds grade schoolish.

shoota
07-31-2005, 10:11 AM
I've forgotten who made the quote in the book Ball 4. (it was either Steve Hovley or Marty Pattin) "the media is an ass!!"

Case in point. Check out the caption under this photo from Yahoo. Who in the HeLL is Carl Edwards???????

http://us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg.com/p/ap/20050730/capt.bab10507301935.white_sox_orioles_bab105.jpg?x =380&y=324&sig=jeHS_v0xMAszU6Z7Mw88ag--

Chicago White Sox's Tadahito Iguchi, left, slides safely into home as Baltimore Orioles catcher Sal Fasano loses control of the throw in the third inning Saturday, July 30, 2005, in Baltimore. Iguchi scored on a sacrafice fly by White Sox's Carl Edwards. (AP Photo/Chris Gardner)

Haha, thanks for sharing that AP mistake. Looks like KW has acquired another bat while working "under the radar." :D:

TommyJohn
07-31-2005, 10:14 AM
FYI: The next "Fallen Arches" column (sent this morning to PHG) will discuss both the Reuters story and Sullivan's Thomas story.

What really bothers me more than anything is the way people keep up the
association with Ligue and Dybas. I mean, why are just White Sox fans
associated with this type of behavior? It happens everywhere. Did anyone
here know that in 1999 a Brewers fan ran out onto the field at County
Stadium and assaulted a Houston Astro outfielder? How about Game 6
of last year's ALCS? New York's finest had to come trotting out on horseback
to get that crowd under control. They trashed the field because they were
upset that the umpires weren't going to let Alex Rodriguez get away with his
blatant attempt at cheating. I have written about the Cub fan stuff until I'm
blue in the face.

In other sports, remember those goofus Browns fans that pelted the refs
because a call upset them? How about those goof balls with the snow balls
in New York several years back? And that fan riot in Detroit last year. Does
anyone even mention that anymore? I mean, this garbage is beyond
disgusting. Am I being too sensitive?

ThatGuyOnTheL
07-31-2005, 10:40 AM

Jeez, he's the guy whose sacrifice fly scored Pat Iguchi. Don't you know your team?

Dick Allen
07-31-2005, 11:47 AM
I'll give you three guesses. The thing that really ticks me off is that she claims to be a Sox fan.She's a Sox fan?????? Let's trade her to the cubs for a couple of dead brain cells.

mrs. hendu
07-31-2005, 11:49 AM

Soccer sucks.

***?! Some respect for European pastime please if you want your favorite game to be respected too. As much as I love baseball, soccer does NOT suck.

mjmcend
07-31-2005, 12:02 PM
***?! Some respect for European pastime please if you want your favorite game to be respected too. As much as I love baseball, soccer does NOT suck.

Soccer sucks.

mrs. hendu
07-31-2005, 12:07 PM
Soccer sucks.

Very creative. Congrats.

BTW I'm European and I'm a Sox fan. I don't appreciate reading how Europe sucks, soccer sucks etc. When people in Europe say baseball sucks, I tell them the same thing - no it doesn't.

Really, pnly because some moron reporter didn't write a good article about the Sox doesn't mean that soccer sucks. How pathetic.

TornLabrum
07-31-2005, 12:19 PM
Very creative. Congrats.

BTW I'm European and I'm a Sox fan. I don't appreciate reading how Europe sucks, soccer sucks etc. When people in Europe say baseball sucks, I tell them the same thing - no it doesn't.

Really, pnly because some moron reporter didn't write a good article about the Sox doesn't mean that soccer sucks. How pathetic.

And I would point out that while Reuters primarily serves Europe, the writer is American and as far as I can tell, a Chicagoan.

mrs. hendu
07-31-2005, 12:22 PM
And I would point out that while Reuters primarily serves Europe, the writer is American and as far as I can tell, a Chicagoan.

I didn't write they were not American. But in this case, writing that "soccer sucks" as a response to the article makes even less sense.:rolleyes:

So.ILSoxFan
07-31-2005, 12:58 PM
Soccer sucks.

You know how we sox fans complain because everyone ignores that the sox do have fans and we get no exposure?

Well, soccer is the world's sport by every measure, and inside the U.S., fans of soccer get no respect, mainly because of people like....well....you!

Don't be the Moronotti of Soccer! It's cool if you don't like it but don't go bad mouthing it for no reason.

oh, sorry, :hijacked:

Optipessimism
07-31-2005, 01:07 PM
It's cool if you don't like it but don't go bad mouthing it for no reason.

oh, sorry, :hijacked:

It's cool if you like it but don't go good-mouthing it for no reason. :smile:

skobabe8
07-31-2005, 01:28 PM
That article was awful. Alot of words that said nothing. Nice effort, Torn. You just didnt say anything that was a part of their agenda. Even if what you say is the truth.

SOXSINCE'70
07-31-2005, 01:55 PM
Who in the HeLL is Carl Edwards???????

Is he related to Carrie Woods,Craig Maddox or Brandon Rusch??:D: :D:

MeteorsSox4367
07-31-2005, 02:28 PM
Gee - another article written by someone who thinks that Wrigley is Disneyland and that the Cell is located in the ghetto. Having grown up on the South Side and still living on the South Side, I'm sick of seeing misinformed mopes disrespect the best part of the city.

By the way, for those who ripped soccer, here's a confession. When I was a kid, not only did I go to Comiskey to see my beloved Sox, I also went to watch the Sting play soccer. That's right - in addition to worshipping Kittle and Walker, I also dug Karl-Heinz Granitza and Arno Steffenhagen.

When all these media mopes are forced to come to the South Side for the Series in October, they'll see the true heart of Chicago.

Go Sox!!

bunnybrief
07-31-2005, 04:02 PM
According to the writer, since Reuters is the major wire service in Europe, it was supposed to give readers outside of the United States an idea of why the Sox have the best record in baseball but seem to be ignored by fans here.

As if they care.

This article was just the same old carp - it could have been written 2 or 3 years ago.

They're not being ignored, anyway - I see Sox fans everywhere.

bunnybrief
07-31-2005, 04:05 PM
By the way, for those who ripped soccer, here's a confession. When I was a kid, not only did I go to Comiskey to see my beloved Sox, I also went to watch the Sting play soccer. That's right - in addition to worshipping Kittle and Walker, I also dug Karl-Heinz Granitza and Arno Steffenhagen.

Ha - I think I had a Sting shirt. You're showing your age.

:wink:

Wsoxmike59
07-31-2005, 09:37 PM
Ha - I think I had a Sting shirt. You're showing your age.

:wink:

Hey! Me Too!!!

http://i2.ebayimg.com/01/i/04/87/cd/7c_2.JPG