PDA

View Full Version : Padres acquire Miguel Olivo from Seattle

DaleJRFan
07-31-2005, 01:19 AM
Didn't see this posted yet and didn't come up in search...

The San Diego Padres today acquired catcher Miguel Olivo from the Seattle Mariners in exchange for catcher Miguel Ojeda and minor league right-handed pitcher Nathanel Mateo. Executive Vice President/General Manager Kevin Towers made the announcement.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20050731&content_id=1151688&vkey=pr_sd&fext=.jsp&c_id=sd

LuvSox
07-31-2005, 01:20 AM
Maybe Olivo will see the post season, good for him. They are in need of a catcher, I believe.

SomebodyToldMe
07-31-2005, 01:21 AM
I guess Miguel won't be wearing a Mariners hat when he gets into the HOF the same year as Reed.

DaleJRFan
07-31-2005, 01:22 AM
Maybe Olivo will see the post season, good for him. They are in need of a catcher, I believe.

Think he cried this time??? I felt so bad for him when I heard that last year. Granted, there is no crying in baseball (LOL), but he loved playing for the Sox.

balke
07-31-2005, 01:24 AM
Miggy was the man in the 9 hole for the Sox. He was such a catalyst in those big innings we had last season. I hope things work out for him.

Isn't Ojeda good?

rowand33
07-31-2005, 01:26 AM
good luck Miggy.

hope to see you (and your bad team) in October :D:

Soxzilla
07-31-2005, 01:35 AM
Ohh how the mighty have fallen.

I wonder where Jeremyb1 is nowadays? Probably packing Olivo's bags for him.

FarWestChicago
07-31-2005, 01:35 AM
I guess Miguel won't be wearing a Mariners hat when he gets into the HOF the same year as Reed.Well, the are lead pipe lock first balloters. jeremy told us so. :redneck

Banix12
07-31-2005, 01:41 AM
Wow, it all kinda goes full circle. years ago Ben Davis is traded from San Diego to Seattle, He scuffles there as the catcher of the future and heir apparent to Dan Wilson and get shipped to the White Sox as a throw in the trade that brought Olivo to Seattle. Olivo scuffles as the heir apparent to Dan Wilson and he gets shipped to San Diego. Three teams, two catchers of the future, similar paths.

Banix12
07-31-2005, 01:43 AM
Ohh how the mighty have fallen.

I wonder where Jeremyb1 is nowadays? Probably packing Olivo's bags for him.

Start a thread about how sabremetrics are worthless and get him to show up. That seems to lure him out of hiding once every two or three months.

JUribe1989
07-31-2005, 02:19 AM
With Ramon Hernandez's surgery I would imagine that Miggy is gonna get lots of playing time. I'm happy for him. I always thought Olivo would become one of the better catchers in the league.

DSpivack
07-31-2005, 02:58 AM
Wow, it all kinda goes full circle. years ago Ben Davis is traded from San Diego to Seattle, He scuffles there as the catcher of the future and heir apparent to Dan Wilson and get shipped to the White Sox as a throw in the trade that brought Olivo to Seattle. Olivo scuffles as the heir apparent to Dan Wilson and he gets shipped to San Diego. Three teams, two catchers of the future, similar paths.

Two guys not good enough to supplant Dan Wilson? Ouch.

Banix12
07-31-2005, 05:05 AM
Two guys not good enough to supplant Dan Wilson? Ouch.

And both of them at one time in their Mariners tenure were demoted to AAA, losing their roster spot as backup catcher in favor of 40+ year old Catcher Pat Borders.

gr8mexico
07-31-2005, 09:15 AM
Padres acquired catcher Miguel Olivo from the Mariners for catcher Miguel Ojeda and RHP Nate Mateo.
It's worth a try. The Mariners thought they had a long-term starter in Olivo when they got him in the Freddy Garcia trade, but he disappointed both offensively and defensively. The Padres will keep him in the majors and let him split time with David Ross, apparently taking Robert Fick out of the mix for starts at catcher. If they don't re-sign Ramon Hernandez in the offseason, Olivo would become a candidate to start in 2006. He shouldn't have much in the way of short-term fantasy value. Jul. 31 - 2:20 am et www.rotoworld.com:bandance: GREAT MOVE KENNY LOL LOL LOL

DaleJRFan
07-31-2005, 09:22 AM
This was posted lasstnight in "Talking Baseball"
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55229

FYI: Trade rumors go here in Whats the Score, but confirmed trades with links to reports go in Talking Baseball.

munchman33
07-31-2005, 10:27 AM
but he loved playing for the Sox.

I'm sure he'd love playing for any team willing to start him more than once a week like we did.

Jerome
07-31-2005, 03:54 PM
Somebody inform Mike North that one of the 3 future All Stars in the Garcia trade have been traded again.

Tragg
08-01-2005, 01:25 AM
Somebody inform Mike North that one of the 3 future All Stars in the Garcia trade have been traded again.

Tell that to Will Carrol, too. He still refers to Olivo, Reed and the other guy as "impact players" per a recent article.

Optipessimism
08-01-2005, 04:21 AM
Tell that to Will Carrol, too. He still refers to Olivo, Reed and the other guy as "impact players" per a recent article.

Probably because he did his 'research' on Reed and Olivo by visting this site and reading the posts of all the Sox fans who were pissed that we traded two future Hall of Famers for Garcia.