PDA

View Full Version : Bill Murray at the Hall of Fame Ceremonies

Brian26
07-30-2005, 11:12 PM
Is this guy the biggest leech on the planet? Then he's interviewed and makes some joke about Sandberg not being very talkative, but he calls him "Ryan". What a ****ing stroke.

Stroker Ace
07-30-2005, 11:14 PM
Too bad he's a flub fan. He's the only one I like.

TornLabrum
07-30-2005, 11:53 PM
Is this guy the biggest leech on the planet? Then he's interviewed and makes some joke about Sandberg not being very talkative, but he calls him "Ryan". What a ****ing stroke.

I swear that I once heard Harry Caray call him "Ryan Sanderson."

He gone
07-30-2005, 11:59 PM
What a ****ing stroke.

I just watched Kingpin and YES he's a Stroke that plays a Stroke in almost all his movies.

Irishsox1
07-31-2005, 01:43 AM
Any chance Cindy Sandberg will be there? Zing!

RadioheadRocks
07-31-2005, 01:52 AM
Any chance Cindy Sandberg will be there? Zing!

Just look for the corn-on-the-cob dress! :D:

kittle42
07-31-2005, 01:53 AM
Aside from being a Cub fan, what's anyone's beef with Bill Murray?

RadioheadRocks
07-31-2005, 01:58 AM

IMHO, Bill Murray is the epitome of the "coattail-riding goofball". :D:

32nd&Wallace
07-31-2005, 01:22 PM
Watch for him to be at US Cellular Field if the Sox make the WS

TornLabrum
07-31-2005, 01:29 PM
Watch for him to be at US Cellular Field if the Sox make the WS

Yeah, but will he be wearing a Cubs cap? Will he try to invade the TV booth to sing TMOTTBG?

silenceofthehawk
07-31-2005, 01:34 PM
Yeah, no kidding. Some people just like to criticize everything. Well, as the saying goes, it's easy to criticize when you do nothing. :o:

TornLabrum
07-31-2005, 01:36 PM
Yeah, no kidding. Some people just like to criticize everything. Well, as the saying goes, it's easy to criticize when you do nothing. :o:

Well, just for one example, he made an appearance recently on an episode of Iron Chef America as part of the audience. Need I say more? The guy will go anywhere to get some face time.

Brian26
07-31-2005, 02:39 PM

Did you catch him this March at the All-State Arena when the Illini made that monumental comeback against Arizona? CBS had a camera on him every two minutes. He seems to jump from bandwagon to bandwagon.

He's a Cubs fan now, but I've got a tape of the 7/31/91 Ventura grandslam homer off Gossage...guess who's in the seats behind homeplate and shown after the homer? Yep- Bill Murray.

Mohoney
07-31-2005, 02:51 PM

Sandberg spelled backwards is Grebdnas!

32nd&Wallace
07-31-2005, 03:04 PM
Did you catch him this March at the All-State Arena when the Illini made that monumental comeback against Arizona? CBS had a camera on him every two minutes. He seems to jump from bandwagon to bandwagon.

He's a Cubs fan now, but I've got a tape of the 7/31/91 Ventura grandslam homer off Gossage...guess who's in the seats behind homeplate and shown after the homer? Yep- Bill Murray.Was he going nuts cheering or giving a polite golf clap?

FredManrique
07-31-2005, 03:05 PM

My favourite was when Harry called him Ryne Santo.

Hangar18
08-01-2005, 10:09 AM

For starters, hes a Cub Fan. Hes also an opportunist, riding the Cub wave knowing that the Media LOVES the cubs and anyone associated with them.

TheOldRoman
08-01-2005, 10:41 AM
Yeah, but will he be wearing a Cubs cap? Will he try to invade the TV booth to sing TMOTTBG?
No, then he will be a "lifelong" Sox fan. He will likely get interviewed and say "You know, I am a lifelong Sox fan. I used to come here all the time back in the day to watch Fisk, Minoso, and the boys. '59 was great. I love all Chicago teams, but I have always been really close to the Sox."

PatK
08-01-2005, 10:53 AM
Correct me if I'm mistaken, but didn't Bill name his son Homer Banks Murray?

Tekijawa
08-01-2005, 11:10 AM
IMHO, Bill Murray is the epitome of the "coattail-riding goofball". :D:

http://image.com.com/tv/images/processed/thumb/c9/dd/7382.jpg (javascript:void(0))

"What about me?"

kittle42
08-01-2005, 11:26 AM
For starters, hes a Cub Fan. Hes also an opportunist, riding the Cub wave knowing that the Media LOVES the cubs and anyone associated with them.

Oh, please. This man has been running around with a Cubs hat on since I was a kid - when they sucked and when they didn't.

If he was a Sox fan who only showed up on TV broadcasts in 2000 and 2005, you'd all be praising him.

SOXPHILE
08-01-2005, 11:50 AM
Memo to Bill Murray, Jim "Talentless Hack" Belushi, Billy Corgan, and any and all B and C list celebraties who are constanly showing up and informing us all that they are long time Cub fans, and are EXTREMELY important,- GO AWAY. You are all annoying. You are not important. Your team sucks. Ron Santo sucks. Oh, and by the way, the White Sox have the best record in baseball, have you heard ?

LuvSox
08-01-2005, 11:50 AM
http://image.com.com/tv/images/processed/thumb/c9/dd/7382.jpg (http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:void%280%29)

"What about me?"

The epitome of coat-tail.

Hangar18
08-02-2005, 04:08 PM
Memo to Bill Murray, Jim "Talentless Hack" Belushi, Billy Corgan, and any and all B and C list celebraties who are constanly showing up and informing us all that they are long time Cub fans, and are EXTREMELY important,- GO AWAY. You are all annoying. You are not important. Your team sucks. Ron Santo sucks. Oh, and by the way, the White Sox have the best record in baseball, have you heard ?

Maybe some of you (kittle42) think Murrays "cubness" is warranted .......
but notice this......... the Media keeps painting cub fans as the "best"
and everyone and their mother is coming out of the woodwork to CLAIM theyre
"long-time" cub fans and that they are NOT bandwagonners. I heard that
soooooo much in 2003 (ive been a "fan" since I was a kid" etc etc)

SOXPHILE
08-02-2005, 05:11 PM
Maybe some of you (kittle42) think Murrays "cubness" is warranted .......
but notice this......... the Media keeps painting cub fans as the "best"
and everyone and their mother is coming out of the woodwork to CLAIM theyre
"long-time" cub fans and that they are NOT bandwagonners. I heard that
soooooo much in 2003 (ive been a "fan" since I was a kid" etc etc)

I'm sorry. Yes, Bill Murray WAS funny, and he HAS made some good/funny movies. But the last few years especially, he has become increasingly annoying, obnoxious, and he is a textbook bandwagon jumper, having to get his pock marked face in front of a camera at every opportunity. Cubs having a small measure of success ? There he is, throwing out the first pitch, acting like a jackass, singing the 7th inning stretch, appearing on local news and talk shows with his Cub hat, telling us what a HUGE Cub fan he has always been. (Funny, I don't remember seeing too much of you in 2000, or througout much of the 90's when Cub baseball and below .500 were synonomous.) U of I having a good season ? There he is, on T.V, front row, wearing the orange and blue, (never mind he didn't go to the school, and has NEVER shown any sort of interest in them, or college basketball). Ryne Sandberg's HOF induction ? Well look who's there, getting his picture in all the papers, and his annoying act getting airtime on national T.V, while he plays golf with his "good buddy", Ryne Sandberg. And the airhead media and braindead "Cub Nation" continue to slurp it up.

Dick Allen
08-02-2005, 05:24 PM
I think he has a movie coming out soon. That would at least partially explain his mug being seemingly everywhere.

Risk
08-02-2005, 05:25 PM

Lost in Translation sucked. Not that he was terrible in it, but that movie was just so tedious and slow.

Risk

Mercy!
08-02-2005, 05:36 PM
A couple of observations:

Murray attended because he was INVITED by Sandberg.:o:

The world is filled with people who follow more than one sport and who cheer for more than one team within each sport. Often, this is considered one sign of a well-rounded person.:wink:

I liked Murray in Groundhog Day.

SOXPHILE
08-02-2005, 05:37 PM
Lost in Translation sucked. Not that he was terrible in it, but that movie was just so tedious and slow.

Risk

That was, without a doubt, one of the worst movies I have ever seen. All the critics raving about it. When I was done watching it, I remember asking myself "and the point of this movie was...?"

jackbrohamer
08-02-2005, 05:45 PM

I once heard Caray call him "Rynoberg."

DumpJerry
08-02-2005, 05:46 PM
Murray was born and raised in Wilmette, a place where Sox fans are shot on sight, so I think he has been a "lifelong" Flub fan. I'm sure he'll be in the Scout Seats this October, but keep in mind the fact that when he plunks down big $$$ for his seats, it goes to the Kenny Williams Fund For Player Contracts-my favorite charity in the world!

It does not bother me his face appears everywhere, I think he has a great sense of irreverent humor. I do agree, however, that Jim Belushi would be a truck driver today if his last name was anything else than Belushi.

Chisox353014
08-02-2005, 05:50 PM
A couple of observations:

Murray attended because he was INVITED by Sandberg.:o:

The world is filled with people who follow more than one sport and who cheer for more than one team within each sport. Often, this is considered one sign of a well-rounded person.:wink:

I liked Murray in Groundhog Day.

In a similar vein:
Murray became involved with U of I when he was invited by the University to appear at a charity golf outing. In an interview around the time of the Elite Eight games, he said he just really liked the way the Illini played the game and became a fan. After his previous association with the school he started going to the tournament games. Does that make him a bandwagon fan? I don't know. It was cool seeing him going crazy along with the rest of us 15,000 orange-clad fans during the Arizona game (aka the Greatest Game I've Ever Seen Live).
:bandance:

Mercy!
08-02-2005, 05:51 PM
:hijacked:
Ah thanks for reminding me of Lost in Translation a masterly evocation of place and emotional dislocation, a delicate, non-romantic love story for grown ups. Murray was wonderful in this.

spiffie
08-02-2005, 05:53 PM
:hijacked:
Ah thanks for reminding me of Lost in Translation a masterly evocation of place and emotional dislocation, a delicate, non-romantic love story for grown ups. Murray was wonderful in this.

Whew...I was worried i was the only person on the board who loved this movie!

ClaudelSleptHere
08-02-2005, 05:59 PM
In a similar vein:
Murray became involved with U of I when he was invited by the University to appear at a charity golf outing. In an interview around the time of the Elite Eight games, he said he just really liked the way the Illini played the game and became a fan. After his previous association with the school he started going to the tournament games. Does that make him a bandwagon fan? I don't know. It was cool seeing him going crazy along with the rest of us 15,000 orange-clad fans during the Arizona game (aka the Greatest Game I've Ever Seen Live).
:bandance:

Let me help you out. Yes, that makes him the ultimate bandwagon fan.

MarySwiss
08-02-2005, 06:01 PM
Oh, please. This man has been running around with a Cubs hat on since I was a kid - when they sucked and when they didn't.
If he was a Sox fan who only showed up on TV broadcasts in 2000 and 2005, you'd all be praising him.

I have to agree. IIRC, Murray has always been a Cub fan. (Although that Illini bandwagon thing last year was pretty lame; I mean, showing up at celebrity golf tournaments in an Illini jersey all of a sudden?)

But OTOH, I have to disagree with your second point. I don't think anyone here would buy into a celeb who claimed to be a Sox fan, but who only showed up when the team was on a roll. We're smarter than that, aren't we?

And I think--if only for Caddyshack--we have to give him a mulligan.

SpammySosa
08-02-2005, 06:04 PM
Did anyone ever consider Bill Murray could go to a Sox game because he is a baseball fan? The people dissing him for that are probably the same ones who have gone to Wrigley and other parks to see a game because they love the sport.(Disclaimer:I personally don't want to go to the Urinal,but if someone wants to,fine.)
For as long as I can remember Bill Murray has professed he is a diehard Cubs fan and that doesn't bother me. I might not understand it,but it doesn't bother me in the least. My best friend is a Cubs/baseball fan and a knowledgable one at that. It's not the genuine Cubs fans that bother me...it is the lemmings,party first-baseball 2nd or 3rd or no concern at all...the uninformed...those are the people that bother me.
As for Bill Murray always being in the spotlight for being a Cubs fan,don't you think that the media seeks him out because they think their fans are interested in it and not the other way around? Heck,I have only been here a few months and have witnessed a few "celebrity Sox fans" threads,so obviously there are fans on both sides of the fence who are interested in that kind of fodder.
You would think I am Bill Murray's brother by defending him,but I am just disgusted by the hypocrisy and silliness of this thread.

BigEdWalsh
08-02-2005, 06:12 PM
Did anyone ever consider Bill Murray could go to a Sox game because he is a baseball fan? The people dissing him for that are probably the same ones who have gone to Wrigley and other parks to see a game because they love the sport.(Disclaimer:I personally don't want to go Urinal,but if someone wants to,fine.)For as long as I can remember Bill Murray has professed he is a diehard Cubs fan and that doesn't bother me.I might not understand it,but it doesn't bother me in the least. My best friend is a Cubs/baseball fan and a knowledgable one at that. It's not the genuine Cubs fans that bother me...it is the lemmings,party first-baseball 2nd or 3rd or no concern at all...the uninformed...those are the people that bother me.As for Bill Murray always being in the spotlight for being a Cubs fan,don't you think that the media seeks him out because they think their fans are interested in it and not the other way around?Heck,I have only been here a few months and have witnessed a few "celebrity Sox fans" threads,so obviously there are fans on both sides of the fence who are interested in that kind of fodder. You would think I am Bill Murray's brother by defending him,but I am just disgusted by the hypocrisy and silliness of this thread.

No offense, but could you SPACE between sentences next time?

I agree with your statement to some degree. Plenty of people here go to Cub games. Why, I don't know. I'd just go see a nearby Little League game (not that there's much difference) before I'd ever pay $$ to that organization, simply because I like baseball.

MarySwiss
08-02-2005, 06:19 PM
Bill Murray has professed he is a diehard Cubs fan and that doesn't bother me.I might not understand it,but it doesn't bother me in the least....
As for Bill Murray always being in the spotlight for being a Cubs fan,don't you think that the media seeks him out because they think their fans are interested in it and not the other way around?....
I am just disgusted by the hypocrisy and silliness of this thread.

Spammy, have you read the entire thread? Seems to me that the consensus on this topic is divided, with a lot of posters--myself included--coming down on Murray's side, at least to some extent. OF COURSE, he has a right to be a fan of whatever team he wants to--anyone has--but equally, anyone posting here has a right to be totally biased and completely unobjective in favor of the Sox.

But whether you agree or disagree about Murray's loyalties, one thing is clear; the media never seems to have any trouble seeking him out. It's not like he runs away and hides from them.

Dick Allen
08-02-2005, 06:25 PM
Murray was born and raised in Wilmette, a place where Sox fans are shot on sight, so I think he has been a "lifelong" Flub fan. I'm sure he'll be in the Scout Seats this October, but keep in mind the fact that when he plunks down big $$$ for his seats, it goes to the Kenny Williams Fund For Player Contracts-my favorite charity in the world!

It does not bother me his face appears everywhere, I think he has a great sense of irreverent humor. I do agree, however, that Jim Belushi would be a truck driver today if his last name was anything else than Belushi.I was born and raised in Wilmette (couple of years younger than Murray), and I can tell you back then, Cub fans would have had a better chance at getting shot. The crowd I hung out with was mostly Sox fans, they were the better team when we were growing up in the early and mid-60's.

brewcrew/chisox
08-02-2005, 06:43 PM
That was, without a doubt, one of the worst movies I have ever seen. All the critics raving about it. When I was done watching it, I remember asking myself "and the point of this movie was...?"

:duck:

I'm sorry but I'd have to disagree with you on that one. Personally, I thought it was one of the more thought provoking films of the year, and Coppalla (sp?) received just praise for producing a film that didn't follow the typical formula of Hollywood.

As far as Bill Murray is concerned; I don't know. I get a little sick of seeing him too, but i think that is more of the media's fault than his; particularly when CBS constantly showed the guy during the final four; I mean, the guy went to see a great basketball game...he actually sat with everyone else, was accessable, and had a good time. That's a crime? Would you all have been as angry if he would of sat in a luxury suite away from everyone else? And I don't buy the fact that he didn't go to U of I so he can't cheer for the team. I have ALOT of friends who are both from and live here who rooted for U of I but didn't go to the school.

JohnBasedowYoda
08-02-2005, 06:52 PM

he really hasn't made a good movie since groundhog day. and he was 'media leeching it up when the illini were hot last year. i heard he even gave them a little speech before the championship game, which he had no business doing. maybe thats why they lost

edit: i did not realize all this was said already.

BigEdWalsh
08-02-2005, 06:58 PM
he really hasn't made a good movie since groundhog day. and he was 'media leeching' it up when the illini were hot last year. i heard he even gave them a little speech before the championship game, which he had no business doing. maybe thats why they lost

I liked Rushmore and Ed Wood a lot. But, yeah, I hated his media leeching too.

silenceofthehawk
08-03-2005, 11:44 AM
Did anyone ever consider Bill Murray could go to a Sox game because he is a baseball fan? The people dissing him for that are probably the same ones who have gone to Wrigley and other parks to see a game because they love the sport.(Disclaimer:I personally don't want to go to the Urinal,but if someone wants to,fine.)
For as long as I can remember Bill Murray has professed he is a diehard Cubs fan and that doesn't bother me. I might not understand it,but it doesn't bother me in the least. My best friend is a Cubs/baseball fan and a knowledgable one at that. It's not the genuine Cubs fans that bother me...it is the lemmings,party first-baseball 2nd or 3rd or no concern at all...the uninformed...those are the people that bother me.
As for Bill Murray always being in the spotlight for being a Cubs fan,don't you think that the media seeks him out because they think their fans are interested in it and not the other way around? Heck,I have only been here a few months and have witnessed a few "celebrity Sox fans" threads,so obviously there are fans on both sides of the fence who are interested in that kind of fodder.
You would think I am Bill Murray's brother by defending him,but I am just disgusted by the hypocrisy and silliness of this thread.
Great post, regardless of the lack of spaces between the sentences.:smile:

silenceofthehawk
08-03-2005, 11:45 AM
Well, just for one example, he made an appearance recently on an episode of Iron Chef America as part of the audience. Need I say more? The guy will go anywhere to get some face time.

Who watches Iron Chef? Man, pick up a book every once in awhile.

kittle42
08-03-2005, 11:54 AM
I still stand by my comment that if Bill Murray was a Sox fan, no one here would be saying a damn thing.

TornLabrum
08-03-2005, 11:55 AM
Who watches Iron Chef? Man, pick up a book every once in awhile.

Um, you mean like Shelby Foote's three volumes on the Civil War? I finished that in June. After that I read Dan Helpingstine's two books on the Sox.

Chisox353014
08-03-2005, 12:15 PM

Exactly. I don't get it. People are bitching about a known Cub fan attending the Hall of Fame induction of one of the only great Cub players in the last 30 years when the aforementioned Cub invites him to the ceremony?!?

So when Frank Thomas goes to the Hall and invites, say Laurie Metcalf or George Wendt and they give an interview, will we all be whining then?
Seriously, have we run out of things to complain about?

And frankly I could care less if he jumped on the Illini bandwagon. It's the state school of his home state for one. And it's not like he was a known diehard Michigan fan who suddenly switched allegiances or something. He did some charity work with the school and became a fan of the team's style of play. There were a lot of people in the college hoops world who enjoyed watching that team play. If he shows up at the Cell in October claiming to be a lifelong Sox fan, then we'll have something to bitch about. Until then, I say:
:threadblows:

TaylorStSox
08-03-2005, 01:26 PM
Whew...I was worried i was the only person on the board who loved this movie!

There's a handful of us with good taste.

Brian26
08-03-2005, 01:37 PM
So when Frank Thomas goes to the Hall and invites, say Laurie Metcalf or George Wendt and they give an interview, will we all be whining then?

Do you want my honest answer to this? Wendt's fatass sang at the shrine recently while decked out in scrubby crybaby blue, so, yes, I will be whining if he's at Cooperstown.

batmanZoSo
08-03-2005, 02:48 PM
I always liked his deadpan delivery and his roles in Stripes and Groundhog Day were awesome. I have to give the guy credit to make it that far in Hollywood looking like him. He was able to convince us that Scarlett Johansson might be interested in him, so he must be a pretty good actor. :D: