PDA

View Full Version : Trade: Winn to Giants

Mr. White Sox
07-30-2005, 09:12 PM
Via Rotoworld.com

According to ESPN's Jayson Stark the Giants have acquired Randy Winn from the Mariners for Jesse Foppert and Yorvit Torrealba. Jul. 30 - 10:11 pm et

NSSoxFan
07-30-2005, 09:13 PM
Stark got the phone call during Baseball Tonight.

NDSox12
07-30-2005, 09:14 PM
Hmm... does this mean the Mariners have given up on Miguel Olivo?

Jjav829
07-30-2005, 09:14 PM
That's pretty quick updating by rotoworld. Stark just received a phone call while on air doing BBTN and announced the trade. This happened about a minute and a half ago.

As for the trade, that's pretty bad for the Giants. Torrealba and Foppert for Randy freaking Winn? Yikes.

Kogs35
07-30-2005, 09:16 PM
That's pretty quick updating by rotoworld. Stark just received a phone call while on air doing BBTN and announced the trade. This happened about a minute and a half ago.

As for the trade, that's pretty bad for the Giants. Torrealba and Foppert for Randy freaking Winn? Yikes.

the whole nl west is pathetic as this trade. if the giants think there in it there totally off there rockers

Chisox003
07-30-2005, 09:20 PM

What are the Giants doing?? :mg: I hope for their sake they got another trade waiting for Winn, but with them, I doubt it....

:kukoo:

NSSoxFan
07-30-2005, 09:21 PM
What are the Giants doing?? :mg: I hope for their sake they got another trade waiting for Winn, but with them, I doubt it....

:kukoo:

Either that or the Giants actually think they can win the NL West. I was hoping we would have a chance at Vizquel, doesn't look like that is going to happen.

Mr. White Sox
07-30-2005, 09:26 PM
Also from Rotoworld (they agree with most of us on this deal):

Consider it overreaction if you'd like, but this is the second horrible trade Brian Sabean has made it two months. Winn isn't any kind of difference maker, and Foppert, two years removed from Tommy John surgery, might be. For that matter, Torrealba has some value himself. That Sabean has given up this much talent for Winn and LaTroy Hawkins is going to have a negative impact on the Giants for several years. Jul. 30 - 10:11 pm et

MRKARNO
07-30-2005, 09:33 PM
The thing about Winn though is that SBC park is perfect for low line drive hitters like him. SBC is a hitters park, but not a Home Run park and it's tailor-made for people with offensive skill sets like Randy Winn. He might also do well on the road at PETCO and at Coors because they are also both expansive parks which are good for singles hitters like Winn.

This has got to be Sabean's thinking on this deal because I can't see any other way to justify it. If Winn isn't hitting at least .300 from here on out, then I think the trade is a bad one for the Giants. But you never know.

Tragg
07-30-2005, 09:34 PM
If Rotoworld is accurate in their evaluation of the potential of the talent that the Giants gave up, they are dead on: you don't give up top potential for non-diffence-makers. They are probably engaging in hyperbole about how this will haunt the Giants for years, though

Arkham
07-30-2005, 09:59 PM
From the Giants perspective, they didn't gave up much. They're stuck with Matheny for two more years, so Torrealba's not all that useful, and Foppert's had a lot more struggles in the majors than successes, and with prospects like Matt Cain and Merkin Valdez, there's just not a lot of incentive to hang on to him. That said, they couldn't get any better than Randy Winn? Heck, Baltimore got Eric Byrnes for Larry freakin' Bigbie, and Byrnes is about as good as (and about $1.5M cheaper than) Randy Winn.

This isn't nearly as bad as the Hawkins trade, but it still doesn't mean that much. Even if this team somehow claws itself into the NL west lead, St. Louis will crush them without breaking a sweat, Bonds or no Bonds.

Banix12
07-30-2005, 10:39 PM
The Giants just needed a CF and I think they are thinking about next season more than this one. Marquis Grissom can't play anymore, though frankly it's a miracle he played this long after how pathetic when he was in a Brewers Uniform before he was shipped to the Giants.

As for the Mariners, Dan Wilson is still somehow their best catcher and he's on the disabled list so they seem to basically be trying to pick up whatever they can hoping they can find someone better than Wilson.

They are just giving themselves more options and they have that between Torrealba, Wiki Gonzalez, Miguel Olivo and whatever else they have in the way of prospects in the minors.

MHOUSE
07-31-2005, 02:03 PM
If they think Winn is going to resurrect their playoff hopes then their nuts. I don't care if it's Grissom, Winn, or Ellison in CF if Tomko, Reuter, etc. are still pitching on the mound. Foppert has been a top prospect of theirs for a long time before Tommy-John surgery last year and Torrealba hasn't played much behind Matheny. He could break out in Seattle playing everyday.

soxwon
07-31-2005, 02:31 PM
olivo was traded to san diego

A_ROW33
07-31-2005, 03:11 PM
Didn't Seattle trade Pinella for Winn? Or did they just use the money saved from letting Lou leave to pay winn?