PDA

View Full Version : Who is the best manager in baseball?

Chips
07-30-2005, 09:19 PM
After watching part of the Braves game today, I would have to say Bobby Cox is the best manager in baseball. His teams have kicked ass for years and years, although he only has one World Series to show for it, his teams play great every year no matter who is on them.

Daver
07-30-2005, 09:27 PM
Bobby Cox would be in the team picture, so would Lou Piniella, Joe Torre, and Jack McKeon.

Included in the team picture of managers that are grossly over rated, Tony LaRussa, Felipe Alou, and Bobby Valentine.

cleanwsox
07-30-2005, 11:17 PM
Gotta love the bias in this poll! :D:

Stroker Ace
07-30-2005, 11:20 PM
Ozzie..duh!

samram
07-30-2005, 11:32 PM
Mike Scioscia.

He gone
07-30-2005, 11:50 PM
What NO votes for Crusty Baker?????????????:?:

I know I'm going to catch some crap for this, but I voted for Gardenhire :o:
He's done the most with the least. He doesn't have the talent the Yankees and Braves have year in and year out. His team has finished above the Sox soo many times when the Sox were the more talented team.

http://img159.imageshack.us/img159/2717/arguing0pi.jpg

whitesoxfan
07-31-2005, 12:02 AM
gotta go with the Oz :D:

chisoxfanatic
07-31-2005, 12:07 AM
Ozzie...Look at how he's brought a TEAM together. Everyone's playing their all...and all for Ozzie.

zach074
07-31-2005, 12:21 AM
Did anyone really excpect Ozzie not to win?

slobes
07-31-2005, 12:43 AM
Other than Ozzie of course, I'd say Tony La Russa. I read "Three Nights in August", and since then, I've been a huge fan of his.

SoxyStu
07-31-2005, 12:44 AM
If Oz doesn't get manager of the year, I'll be STUNNED! :D

Garland_IS_God
07-31-2005, 01:09 AM
Is this question referring to the best manager in baseball this season or in general?? If it's the best manager this year, by far it's Ozzie, however Tony LaRussa is the best manager.

DSpivack
07-31-2005, 03:00 AM
This season, this generation, it's not a contest, as far as I am concerned. Bobby Cox hands down.

Mohoney
07-31-2005, 03:10 AM
Included in the team picture of managers that are grossly over rated, Tony LaRussa, Felipe Alou, and Bobby Valentine.

Dusty Baker makes those three guys look like Sparky Anderson clones.

FarWestChicago
07-31-2005, 03:24 AM
however Tony LaRussa is the best manager.:?: Has any manager ever won less with more? My gawd, it took an earthquake to get him over the top with those great A's 'roids teams. And his vaunted Cards laid down for the Wrong Sox. What an overrated bust.

Trav
07-31-2005, 04:35 AM
Torre is overrated. If he didn't have the teams he has had then he wins 1 maybe 2 WS. Maybe. Certainly not in the top 5.

LaRussa has good teams so I can't say that he isn't overrated just that loosing in a WS hardly makes one a bad manager. Getting there is much harder than winning it and he has shown he can get there.

Cox is a good manager yet has failed to win in the post season with the same regularity as he has in the regular season. His streak of making the post-season is awesome and is clearly a direct result of great managing.

Gardenhire is also a great choice. When teams win with regularity, on a small budget and with players who are not the best at their position the credit goes to the Manager.

Guillen doesn't deserve any talk of being great just yet. He has been great this year but part of really being one of the great ones in anything is consistency and he hasn't managed long enough to tell.

As far as past managers, anyone have thoughts about Earl Weaver?

The Dude
07-31-2005, 02:31 PM
After watching part of the Braves game today, I would have to say Booby Cox is the best manager in baseball. His teams have kicked ass for years and years, although he only has one World Series to show for it, his teams play great every year no matter who is on them.

"This has got to be the dumbest poll in America." to quote the former great football coach of the Oakland Raiders.

Cox is by far the best in the business. We're biased to say Ozzie, but lets wait and see how the years are to him in the future. I hope he does surpass Cox, but time will tell.

PAPChiSox729
07-31-2005, 02:35 PM
This season, this generation, it's not a contest, as far as I am concerned. Bobby Cox hands down.

I would agree. It is hard to argue against. He has won consistently over a long time. Though he hasn't collected too many rings with the Braves, that insane division titles streak the Braves have going really shows how great this guy is.

Mr. White Sox
07-31-2005, 02:37 PM
After watching part of the Braves game today, I would have to say Booby Cox is the best manager in baseball. His teams have kicked ass for years and years, although he only has one World Series to show for it, his teams play great every year no matter who is on them.

I agree. Booby is the man.
Considering what Cox has done this year, if he keeps it up and wins the division, he very well may win Manager of the Year over Ozzie.

MarySwiss
07-31-2005, 02:39 PM
Phil Garner?????

Palehose13
07-31-2005, 04:23 PM
:?: Has any manager ever won less with more? My gawd, it took an earthquake to get him over the top with those great A's 'roids teams. And his vaunted Cards laid down for the Wrong Sox. What an overrated bust.

Bobby Cox?

Don't get me wrong, I think he is a great manager, but if that is your reasoning for LaRussa I have to use the same for Cox.

A_ROW33
07-31-2005, 04:23 PM
Where's Lou Pinella??? I know TB hasn't done anything with him there, but have you seen how Seattle has tanked without him? I think cox, ozzie and scoscia are better than him but he should be on there as an option at least.

SOXSINCE'70
07-31-2005, 06:59 PM
I'll go with the man Ozzie called his mentor,Bobby Cox.The job he has done
with a banged up Braves team filled with minor leaguers is nothing short of
astounding.Honorable mention to Ken Macha and "old scrap iron",Phil Garner
for their teams' rise fron the ashes.Both the A's and Astros should have
been buried long ago.They're both still very much in it.The Halos and Cards
better not go into any prolonged losing streaks.If they do,the A's and Astros
will make life tougher for their respective divisions.

Tragg
07-31-2005, 07:24 PM
:?: Has any manager ever won less with more? My gawd, it took an earthquake to get him over the top with those great A's 'roids teams. And his vaunted Cards laid down for the Wrong Sox. What an overrated bust.

I remember that I didn't think he was that great when he was with us.
After a series of bad managers like Fergosi, Lamont, Bevington and Manuel, absence may make the heart grow fonder.

MIgrenade
07-31-2005, 07:47 PM
Cox. The Braves making the playoffs this year solidifies it. 3/5 of the rotation was injured and position players were mostly from AA and AAA, yet the Braves are still good. That team won while others would complain that Wood and Prior have to come back...not to name names.

ChiSoxRowand
07-31-2005, 11:53 PM
I agree. Booby is the man.
Considering what Cox has done this year, if he keeps it up and wins the division, he very well may win Manager of the Year over Ozzie.

They have manager of the year for the AL and NL.

DumpJerry
08-01-2005, 01:01 AM
Is Jake27 a Flub troll? How could s/he vote for Baker?

ClaudelSleptHere
08-01-2005, 02:04 AM
Larry Brown?

OEO Magglio
08-01-2005, 02:18 AM
Bobby Cox, hands down.

wdelaney72
08-01-2005, 02:02 PM
After we raise the WS Championship banner at USCF, Ozzie can be called the greatest. Until then, he's accomplished nothing.

Fenway
08-01-2005, 02:07 PM
Francona

he has handled the Boston media well

Trav
08-01-2005, 06:24 PM
Francona

he has handled the Boston media well

He handled the Boston media well and that makes him a great manager? He won a WS. That makes him special. He won with Boston's payroll so that makes him good. Nothing more nothing less right now.

Hagan
08-01-2005, 08:32 PM
Its all angry lou! why isnt he on the poll!

Irishsox1
08-01-2005, 10:43 PM
If Oz doesn't get manager of the year, I'll be STUNNED! :D

Manager of year is the one of the crappiest awards to win. All it means is that you took a team that everyone thought would suck and got them close or in the playoffs. AL manager of the year has to be Macha in Oakland. 13 games below .500 to where they are now, without Mulder and Hudson! The guy is a magician.

Some past AL managers of the year:

1997 Davey Johnson (Not managing anymore)
1999 Jimy Williams (Not managing anymore)
2000 Jerry Manual (Parking cars somewhere)
2003 Tony Pena (Whereabouts unknown)
2004 Buck Showalter (Got the award because A-Rod was off the team)

The Racehorse
08-01-2005, 10:46 PM
Francona's name should have Schilling in parentheses next to it.

After all, it's Schill who knows what's best for that team & clubhouse... just ask him.

Chips
08-02-2005, 09:17 PM
Its all angry lou! why isnt he on the poll!

I have no idea how I forgot to include Lou.