PDA

View Full Version : Who on the Sox plays the "Win or Die Trying" motto the best?

chisoxfanatic
07-30-2005, 07:40 PM
During this afternoon's game, I was really thinking of this whole "Win or die trying" motto the Sox have going this year, and it seems rather difficult to pinpoint who seems to play that motto to a T the best. Who do you think has won or died trying the most this season?

Chisox003
07-30-2005, 07:43 PM
During this afternoon's game, I was really thinking of this whole "Win or die trying" motto the Sox have going this year, and it seems rather difficult to pinpoint who seems to play that motto to a T the best. Who do you think has won or died trying the most this season?

Gooch

skobabe8
07-30-2005, 07:47 PM
Jermaine Dye, of course! :D:

Optipessimism
07-30-2005, 07:48 PM
Rowand = Ground in Double Play or die trying. Rowand = Swing at the first pitch or die trying. I would apply that mentality to his defense though.

I voted for Pods, but I could very well see AJ or Iguchi or pretty much anyone else fitting too. We have a great bunch of guys this year.

Daver
07-30-2005, 07:52 PM
Man Soo Lee.

shoota
07-30-2005, 08:07 PM
It's hard to pick just one, but I went with Rowand because he grinds it out offensively and defensively.

I keep picturing the recent game where he was running from first on a full count, 2-out situation, IIRC, and the batter kept fouling pitches off, making him run to second base and back to first like 7 times. There also was a pickoff somewhere in that sequence that he was able to get out of with his speed and hustle.

His successful dive back to first only worked because he sacrificed his body and dropped mid-run, as opposed to a less punishing dive where a man would lay out and push with his toes. The tag was so close that if he had dived in the less punishing way, he would have been out. A man sacrificing his body is the epitome of winning or die trying.

His uniform was dirty, ripped and sweaty. His mouth was open, his legs and heart were racing, and he was still ready to grind it out again.

And I haven't begun writing about his defense.

Jjav829
07-30-2005, 08:11 PM
Joe Crede.

Chips
07-30-2005, 08:16 PM
Tadahito Iguchi in my book, but anyone on that motto can be applied to anyone on the team.

shoota
07-30-2005, 08:23 PM
Joe Crede.

:tealtutor:

:borass:

Yes, Jjav is right. My client is a grinder. That just adds to his value. My client and I demand a long-term contract.

:reinsy

It is our policy as an organization to not negotiate with terrorists.

JUribe1989
07-30-2005, 08:33 PM
I can't believe I was the only one who voted for Hermanson.

Joosh
07-30-2005, 08:38 PM
:borass:

Yes, Jjav is right. My client is a grinder. That just adds to his value. My client and I demand a long-term contract.

:reinsy

It is our policy as an organization to not negotiate with terrorists.

:rolling: :rolling: POTW!!!!!

I chose Podsednik because of his Base-Stealin', Run out every play, do what's best for the team mentality.

TimoandAaron
07-30-2005, 08:43 PM
Frank Thomas.

nough' said

chisoxfanatic
07-30-2005, 08:46 PM
I chose Podesdnik, because he's the perfect table-setter for this lineup. He's constantly doing new things to get on base, and then messes with the opposing pitchers against their will.

minastirith67
07-30-2005, 09:56 PM
Frank Thomas

I also like Daver's suggestion of Man Soo Lee.

nedlug
07-30-2005, 10:07 PM
53 steals, 15 caught stealings.

ChiWhiteSox1337
07-30-2005, 10:11 PM
It's too hard to just pick one. I want to say Iguchi, but without Podsednik getting on base, Iguchi wouldn't be able to make all of those sac hits to advance the runner. I just love the 1-2 combination of Pods and Iguchi. :D:

fquaye149
07-30-2005, 11:35 PM
Rowand. As in:

"Rowand, you're mine!"
"But I caught the ball!!!"

p.s.: Shoota, if you honestly can't appreciate Joe Crede's incredible defense and putting his ass on the line playing through pain because we have NO OTHER OPTION AT THIRD BASE, go root for Kerry Wood and his "ouch my shoulder is a little numb so I can't pitch."

chisoxfanatic
07-30-2005, 11:42 PM
Rowand. As in:

"Rowand, you're mine!"
"But I caught the ball!!!"

That commercial makes me laugh even more than the one from 2001 where Magglio Ordonez was advertizing for Pepsi Half Price Tuesday!

Norberto7
07-30-2005, 11:51 PM
I can't believe I was the only one who voted for Hermanson.

Not anymore. I also voted for him, because I love the reactions from him after a big save. Shingo had some pretty memorable post-save reactions, but they always seemed like "Oh my God, I actually saved this baseball game!", while Dustin's are more along the lines of "That is right, I kick ass." The best Hermanson example was the Detroit game where Ivan Rodriguez led off the ninth with a triple in a one run game, and not only did he pull it out right then and there, but you just had the feeling he was going to. That's Winning or Dying Trying.

dcoroni
07-31-2005, 05:20 AM
Aaron Rowand hands down!!!!!!!!! No one has the grit that this guy does. In his commercial I believe he'd accept hell if droppped the ball! I can't believe noone mentioned AJ! The toughest position on the field. Squated all day and then hitting a 3 run bomb late in the game!
1. Aaron Rowand
2. A. J. Piersinski
3. NOONE
/RANT
Sorry but these guys are grinders and will do what ever it takes to win ball games and i will take 9 of them over any other ball players in the league!
Dan O

WinOrDyeTrying
07-31-2005, 07:16 AM
:barney&sham

Sneeze... Or die trying.

starboy0
07-31-2005, 09:12 AM
I just couldn't pick one single guy here. This is a great TEAM effort. The motto sums up the team; not one guy in particular.

Ol' No. 2
07-31-2005, 11:48 AM
I have to go with Iguchi. He's probably sacrificed his individual stats for team success more than any other player. As Ozzie pointed out when he called him the team MVP, Iguchi could have a BA 30 or 40 pts higher if he wanted to.

The Dude
07-31-2005, 12:02 PM
Wheres the Willie Harris or Timo Perez option???

So.ILSoxFan
07-31-2005, 12:46 PM
p.s.: Shoota, if you honestly can't appreciate Joe Crede's incredible defense and putting his ass on the line playing through pain because we have NO OTHER OPTION AT THIRD BASE, go root for Kerry Wood and his "ouch my shoulder is a little numb so I can't pitch."

:worship: Amen!