PDA

View Full Version : Sox After Mackowiak

DickAllen72
07-30-2005, 07:27 PM
This has been reported all day on the SCORE but I haven't seen it posted here yet. Take it FWIW.

I'd like to see Mackowiak on the Sox, but at this point, if we can only add one player, my preference is Omar Vizquel--without giving up Uribe.

Omar would play SS and take Willie's spot on the roster.Uribe would be a super sub, starting once a week at SS, 2B and 3B.

MarkyBear
07-30-2005, 07:32 PM
I've been hoping he'd come here since the offseason...

Left handed bat, can play 2nd, 3rd and OF, will steal a base every now and then, has six so far this year...

Plus he's from Oak Lawn, so it'd be a homecoming, whatever happens, I hope it happens soon!!!

BeviBall!
07-30-2005, 07:36 PM
Getting Mackowiak would be like going to prom with your sister. It'd be fun but we wouldn't have a chance to score the big prize.

Optipessimism
07-30-2005, 07:41 PM
Getting Mackowiak would be like going to prom with your sister. It'd be fun but we wouldn't have a chance to score the big prize.

Why would it be fun to go to the prom with your sister?

Mackowiak is the perfect guy to have on the bench. He's a lefty with pop (meaning no more Timo) that can come in to pinch hit, or he can fill in if you need someone in a pinch. If for any reason Crede's back flared up or we needed another OF since Everett would be DH'ing, this is the guy.

He would be a great fit on this team, although I do see your point when he mean that it would not be enough. However, even marginal improvements are still improvements.

BeviBall!
07-30-2005, 07:42 PM
Why would it be fun to go to the prom with your sister?

You know, if she was a real cut up or something!

Optipessimism
07-30-2005, 07:50 PM
You know, if she was a real cut up or something!

LOL

77HitMan
07-30-2005, 08:26 PM
If we don't get Mackoviak, then let's get that guy's sister and take her to the prom. We'll make her the big prize, since, as heterosexual men, we would not have been able to make Mackoviak the top prize, anyway.

Tragg
07-30-2005, 09:38 PM
He plays a position we need to shore up (utility middle infield) (also relief and hitter, imo). Giants shouldn't trade Vizquel. Bonds back next year makes them instant contenders and they have a chance this year, still.

SoXPriDe33
07-30-2005, 09:47 PM
I think getting Machowiak would be a very good insurance player if Crede's back flares up or to give a regular a day off. But I think if we add him to our team then I don't think that KW will add any "Top Prize" type of player. He might add one pitcher to add some bullpen help to eat innings to keep Politte fresh come playoff time and to take innings away from Viz.

rowand33
07-30-2005, 09:53 PM
I see Mackowiak as the kind of guy we'd get through a waiver trade. I dunno why. I just don't see the guy moving by the deadline.

Optipessimism
07-30-2005, 09:56 PM
I see Mackowiak as the kind of guy we'd get through a waiver trade. I dunno why. I just don't see the guy moving by the deadline.

No chance he gets put on waivers. He would be claimed right off the bat.

JB98
07-30-2005, 11:46 PM
No chance he gets put on waivers. He would be claimed right off the bat.

Huh? Is he Babe Ruth or something? There is very little chance he would be claimed. I don't see a big market for Mackowiak. He's a bench player. He's not the sort that's going to change the balance of power in the league. Fringe players like him clear waivers easily.

Banix12
07-31-2005, 12:09 AM
Huh? Is he Babe Ruth or something? There is very little chance he would be claimed. I don't see a big market for Mackowiak. He's a bench player. He's not the sort that's going to change the balance of power in the league. Fringe players like him clear waivers easily.

Mackowiak isn't exactly a fringe player. He's a valuable utility man who has shown a good ability for getting on base and has some power. He also only makes 1.5 million dollars which makes him attractive for teams looking for bench production. He is also only 29 years old. He doesn't change the balance of power in the league but he is valuable for just about any team.

The guys who clear waivers are pretty much either of two types. Completely worthless players who can't cut it in the majors anymore or guys who cost so much that it is almost impossible to work out a trade or pick up his contract.

Also if the sox want Mackowiak, they won't get him through waivers. The sox have the best record in baseball and as I understand it the white sox would be the last team with an opprotunity to pick him up. He would surely be gone by the time he gets to Kenny.

Optipessimism
07-31-2005, 12:15 AM

I don't know what your point is because you don't have to be a big name player to go through waivers, and you don't have to be a big name player to draw lots of interest from teams. In fact, the better you are and cheaper you are the more interest you draw.

Players like him do not clear, and usually don't even see waivers. He's cheap, he's versatile, he's good, he's LH, has some power, and can play 1B, 3B, LF, RF. He's only a bench player on a contending team, not anywhere else, and even then he would still get his share of playing time. Give me the name of one contending team that wouldn't consider that.

Players like this are the ones that get claimed because they only strengthen a contending team. The team that would be taking on his contract wouldn't have to pay much for him and wouldn't have to give up much for him either. It's the players that have huge contracts or who are trying to come back from injury or something that don't get claimed.

If Mackowiak is dealt, I would expect it to be soon otherwise it doesn't happen.

Optipessimism
07-31-2005, 12:18 AM
Mackowiak isn't exactly a fringe player. He's a valuable utility man who has shown a good ability for getting on base and has some power. He also only makes 1.5 million dollars which makes him attractive for teams looking for bench production. He is also only 29 years old. He doesn't change the balance of power in the league but he is valuable for just about any team.

The guys who clear waivers are pretty much either of two types. Completely worthless players who can't cut it in the majors anymore or guys who cost so much that it is almost impossible to work out a trade or pick up his contract.

Also if the sox want Mackowiak, they won't get him through waivers. The sox have the best record in baseball and as I understand it the white sox would be the last team with an opprotunity to pick him up. He would surely be gone by the time he gets to Kenny.

Wow. My computer froze so I posted this after you but I actually didn't need to. You hit the nail on the head.

JB98
07-31-2005, 12:20 AM

I totally disagree. Do you honestly think Theo Epstein is sitting there thinking, "Oh, God! Please don't let the White Sox get Rob Mackowiak." No one is going to claim Mackowiak to prevent him from going to the Sox. Utility players are often the types that do get traded after the non-waiver deadline.

Banix12
07-31-2005, 12:20 AM
Wow. My computer froze so I posted this after you but I actually didn't need to. You hit the nail on the head.

No problem, it's always nice to have some backup on the topic :D:

chisoxfan23
07-31-2005, 12:22 AM
Who wouldn't want someone who can play a lot of different positions. He's soupose to be one of the nicest people in the game and a good person in the clubhouse. I say we go get him.

Banix12
07-31-2005, 12:23 AM
I totally disagree. Do you honestly think Theo Epstein is sitting there thinking, "Oh, God! Please don't let the White Sox get Rob Mackowiak." No one is going to claim Mackowiak to prevent him from going to the Sox. Utility players are often the types that do get traded after the non-waiver deadline.

Lets see Alex Cora or Rob Mackowiak. I think he wants Mackowiak.

Tony Graffanino or Mackowiak. Mackowiak beats him on power numbers and plays 3rd and OF better than Graffy so yeah, Theo would take Mackowiak.

Picking up a player like Mackowiak from waivers isn't about blocking the white sox from getting him, it's about improving your team and there are a lot of teams that would take him even before the Red Sox got to him

Optipessimism
07-31-2005, 12:29 AM

I'll agree with you on one thing:

No one is going to claim Rob to prevent him from going to the Sox.

Another team would claim him for their own benefit. And it doesn't have to even be a contender. If I'm Allan Baird of the Royals I want Rob. If I'm Theo, as in your suggestion, I also want Rob. As I've stated, he offers a lot and is paid a very little.

The utility players that you suggest go through waivers unclaimed are the guys that aren't very good and make too much money. Usually these types of players were on a crappy team and were given outrageous contracts in relation to their ability.

For example, one day Cristian Guzman will go through waivers unclaimed.

JB98
07-31-2005, 12:33 AM
I don't know what your point is because you don't have to be a big name player to go through waivers, and you don't have to be a big name player to draw lots of interest from teams. In fact, the better you are and cheaper you are the more interest you draw.

Players like him do not clear, and usually don't even see waivers. He's cheap, he's versatile, he's good, he's LH, has some power, and can play 1B, 3B, LF, RF. He's only a bench player on a contending team, not anywhere else, and even then he would still get his share of playing time. Give me the name of one contending team that wouldn't consider that.

Players like this are the ones that get claimed because they only strengthen a contending team. The team that would be taking on his contract wouldn't have to pay much for him and wouldn't have to give up much for him either. It's the players that have huge contracts or who are trying to come back from injury or something that don't get claimed.

If Mackowiak is dealt, I would expect it to be soon otherwise it doesn't happen.

So, let me get this straight. You don't think Mackowiak will be placed on the waiver wire if he isn't dealt before tomorrow? You're wrong. Teams regularly run the majority of their guys through the waiver wire at this time of year, especially teams that are woefully out of the race. They just want to see if anybody will bite and see what they might be able to get in return.

If a team puts in a claim, you can always pull that player back. That's how waiver trades are made. After a team puts in a claim for one of your players, you pull that player back, call the GM of the team that made the claim and try to work out a trade, assuming you are actually interested in trading that player.

Typically, no one puts in a waiver claim on a player unless they have legitimate interest in trading for him. They don't want to take the extra salary, and they don't want to get stuck with a player they don't actually need.

TheOldRoman
07-31-2005, 12:34 AM
I'll agree with you on one thing:

No one is going to claim Rob to prevent him from going to the Sox.

Another team would claim him for their own benefit. And it doesn't have to even be a contender. If I'm Allan Baird of the Royals I want Rob. If I'm Theo, as in your suggestion, I also want Rob. As I've stated, he offers a lot and is paid a very little.

The utility players that you suggest go through waivers unclaimed are the guys that aren't very good and make too much money. Usually these types of players were on a crappy team and were given outrageous contracts in relation to their ability.

For example, one day Cristian Guzman will go through waivers unclaimed.
Exactly, JB98 has it wrong here. He is a good player, so someone would pick him up off waivers. In fact, I am not so sure the Pirates will even trade him. He is a good young player, is versatile, and doesn't make much money.

TheOldRoman
07-31-2005, 12:39 AM
So, let me get this straight. You don't think Mackowiak will be placed on the waiver wire if he isn't dealt before tomorrow? You're wrong. Teams regularly run the majority of their guys through the waiver wire at this time of year, especially teams that are woefully out of the race. They just want to see if anybody will bite and see what they might be able to get in return.

If a team puts in a claim, you can always pull that player back. That's how waiver trades are made. After a team puts in a claim for one of your players, you pull that player back, call the GM of the team that made the claim and try to work out a trade, assuming you are actually interested in trading that player.

Typically, no one puts in a waiver claim on a player unless they have legitimate interest in trading for him. They don't want to take the extra salary, and they don't want to get stuck with a player they don't actually need.
I don't think you get what we are saying. We are not saying he WONT be placed on waivers, we are saying that he would not CLEAR waivers and make it to the White Sox. Yes, the Pirates may put him on waivers, but some team will realize that he is a good player and can help them. The Pirates would then either pull him back or let him go to that team. Unless KW picks him up before 3 tomorrow, he will not play for the White Sox this season.

fquaye149
07-31-2005, 12:40 AM

I'm not sure you completely understand how the waivers system works

Banix12
07-31-2005, 12:42 AM

I wouldn't doubt there is a chance he gets put on waivers. i just think you are fooling yourself to think the Sox have a prayer at picking him up on waivers since the other 28 teams have a crack at him before the White Sox do. The Twins for instance would absolutely kill to have him on their team right now. He would be their starting 3b.

You seem to have this idea that he is a fringe player that nobody wants. If he were that we wouldn't be having this discussion. Just about every team has a need for a lefty utility man with power who makes only 1.5 million per season.

Optipessimism
07-31-2005, 12:46 AM
I wouldn't doubt there is a chance he gets put on waivers. i just think you are fooling yourself to think the Sox have a prayer at picking him up on waivers since the other 28 teams have a crack at him before the White Sox do. The Twins for instance would absolutely kill to have him on their team right now. He would be their starting 3b.

You seem to have this idea that he is a fringe player that nobody wants. If he were that we wouldn't be having this discussion. Just about every team has a need for a lefty utility man with power who makes only 1.5 million per season.

You hit the nail on the head again. I'm going to have to start calling you 'The Hammer.'

JB98
07-31-2005, 12:48 AM
I don't think you get what we are saying. We are not saying he WONT be placed on waivers, we are saying that he would not CLEAR waivers and make it to the White Sox. Yes, the Pirates may put him on waivers, but some team will realize that he is a good player and can help them. The Pirates would then either pull him back or let him go to that team. Unless KW picks him up before 3 tomorrow, he will not play for the White Sox this season.

Go back and read the thread. Optipessimism posted that guys like Mackowiak "never see waivers." I disagreed with that.

Other than the Twins, I can't see any team in the AL putting in a claim for him, and even that's questionable. Mackowiak is below average defensively at third. Would he be able to handle the position playing on that turf? Maybe or maybe not. Terry Ryan gets the deciding vote on that.

I don't follow the NL close enough to know if anybody needs Mackowiak. My point is, I don't think it's a slam dunk that someone will claim him.

Banix12
07-31-2005, 12:54 AM
You hit the nail on the head again. I'm going to have to start calling you 'The Hammer.'

I may finally have to create a sig.

As for JB98 and anybody else interested here is a nice article on waivers and how they work. How Waivers work (http://www.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/mlb_news_story.jsp?article_id=mlb_20010816_waivers _news&team_id=mlb)

Palehose13
07-31-2005, 01:01 AM
Go back and read the thread. Optipessimism posted that guys like Mackowiak "never see waivers." I disagreed with that.

Other than the Twins, I can't see any team in the AL putting in a claim for him, and even that's questionable. Mackowiak is below average defensively at third. Would he be able to handle the position playing on that turf? Maybe or maybe not. Terry Ryan gets the deciding vote on that.

I don't follow the NL close enough to know if anybody needs Mackowiak. My point is, I don't think it's a slam dunk that someone will claim him.

Mackowiak would be picked up before the Sox had a shot at him. If KW can get him at a reasonable price, I think he should/would do it. He replaces both Timo and Willie(in regards to positions) on the bench and has a better stick.

JB98
07-31-2005, 01:03 AM
I may finally have to create a sig.

As for JB98 and anybody else interested here is a nice article on waivers and how they work. How Waivers work (http://www.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/mlb_news_story.jsp?article_id=mlb_20010816_waivers _news&team_id=mlb)

Essentially, you're telling me that numerous teams in the league want Rob Mackowiak, and I don't agree with you. That's the bottom line. This has nothing to do with any misunderstanding about the waiver system.

Banix12
07-31-2005, 01:03 AM

It is a slam dunk someone would Claim him. The Twins for one wouldn't mind the extra 500,000 thousand this season to supplant Cuddyer or Boone. Boston would gladly take him over any of their utility men I would guess. Arizona could use him as an upgrade over Counsell. Houston would gladly take some extra power off the bench. Washington would take him in a second over Castilla or Guzman. Cleveland could upgrade Jose Hernandez. Tony Womack has been dissapointing and the yankees always need OF depth. Texas is having injury problems and could claim him. The Marlins have been asking for a left handed OF. So on and so on and so on.

His skill set is so non-specific that just about any team can pick him up for cheap and find a hole that he would plug into at $1.5 million a season. He would never reach the sox.

Optipessimism
07-31-2005, 01:04 AM

It is unlikely he will see waivers because if he is traded at all it will be in a deal where Pitt gets something decent back. Mackowiak makes chump change so it's not like they would be trying to dump a contract. If, say, the Sox agreed on a deal to send Players X and Y to Pitt for Mackowiak, and say the Royals claimed him, Pitt would have the following options: a) remove him from waivers (which doesn't complete the deal), b) trade him to the Royals (if they do this they are not allowed to negotiate with anyone else, meaning they either take the Royals offer or not), or c) give Rob to the Royals for cash.

Let's say the Sox offer, for sake of conversation, Borchard and Munoz. Pitt may well think this offer is better than the Royals offer so they take Mackowiak off the table. Let's say that the deal Pitt gets from the Sox is something better than what they would normally get in the offseason since KW would be dealing to fill a weak area for a post season run. Now, neither Pitt nor the Sox are happy because they can't get the trade done, so Pitt is forced to possibly take less in the offseason.

This is why, if a deal gets done, it is done before the deadline. No interruptions.

JB98
07-31-2005, 01:05 AM
Mackowiak would be picked up before the Sox had a shot at him. If KW can get him at a reasonable price, I think he should/would do it. He replaces both Timo and Willie(in regards to positions) on the bench and has a better stick.

I don't think he's a better hitter than Timo, but he's more versatile. He'd be an upgrade for our bench, no question.

Optipessimism
07-31-2005, 01:06 AM
I don't think he's a better hitter than Timo, but he's more versatile. He'd be an upgrade for our bench, no question.

Huh??? He's always been a better hitter than Timo.

Timo wouldn't be an everyday player on any team, including the Pirates as much as they suck.

TheOldRoman
07-31-2005, 01:07 AM

He is not below average defensively at third. He is not Crede, but he has a solid glove with good range. His fielding percentage is a respectable .963, and his zone rating is .795, compared to Crede's .802. He would be much better than Ozuna at third. The Twins would put a claim in for him in a heartbeat. He is a good hitter and he is versatile. Many teams would claim him. Im not saying he is a great player or a superstar, but he is a good player, and he could help a lot of teams.

JB98
07-31-2005, 01:14 AM
It is a slam dunk someone would Claim him. The Twins for one wouldn't mind the extra 500,000 thousand this season to supplant Cuddyer or Boone. Boston would gladly take him over any of their utility men I would guess. Arizona could use him as an upgrade over Counsell. Houston would gladly take some extra power off the bench. Washington would take him in a second over Castilla or Guzman. Cleveland could upgrade Jose Hernandez. Tony Womack has been dissapointing and the yankees always need OF depth. Texas is having injury problems and could claim him. The Marlins have been asking for a left handed OF. So on and so on and so on.

His skill set is so non-specific that just about any team can pick him up for cheap and find a hole that he would plug into at $1.5 million a season. He would never reach the sox.

There are a couple other teams besides the Sox that might be interested (especially the Twins), and it may prevent the Sox from acquiring him in a waiver deal. I understand that. I just don't buy this argument that the whole league wants or needs Rob Mackowiak.

We'll have to agree to disagree. Otherwise, this debate is going to go on all night.

JB98
07-31-2005, 01:16 AM
Huh??? He's always been a better hitter than Timo.

Timo wouldn't be an everyday player on any team, including the Pirates as much as they suck.

Dude, have you seen the Pirates lately? There's guys in the local beer league who could start for that team. Their offense is pathetic.

Mackowiak is hitting .266 with 8 HRs. I'll bet Timo would be pretty similar if he played every day, although he might have a couple fewer HRs.

Banix12
07-31-2005, 01:26 AM
There are a couple other teams besides the Sox that might be interested (especially the Twins), and it may prevent the Sox from acquiring him in a waiver deal. I understand that. I just don't buy this argument that the whole league wants or needs Rob Mackowiak.

We'll have to agree to disagree. Otherwise, this debate is going to go on all night.

We can agree to disagree on the arguement that the whole league or at least half the league which is really my point would really want Mackowiak.

However it only takes 1 team to block a waiver deal to the white sox. So if only a couple teams are interested in Mackowiak, as you acknowledge, there is no way that the sox could acquire him through a waiver deal because every other team in baseball has a crack at him before the white sox do. All because they are the last team in all of baseball this season with the ability to make a claim because they have the best record in baseball. It's not a matter of "may prevent" it's a matter of will prevent.

So if the White Sox really want Mackowiak, they have about 15 hours to do it.

Optipessimism
07-31-2005, 01:26 AM
Dude, have you seen the Pirates lately? There's guys in the local beer league who could start for that team. Their offense is pathetic.

Mackowiak is hitting .266 with 8 HRs. I'll bet Timo would be pretty similar if he played every day, although he might have a couple fewer HRs.

Nice cherry-picked stats. Here's the whole thing:

Timo (100 AB's):
.240 AVG, 2 HR, 3 2B, 9 RBI's, 17 K's, 7 BB's, .290 OBP, .330 SLG

Mackowiak (293 AB's):
.266 AVG, 8 HR, 15 2B, 43 RBI's, 66 K's, 32 BB's, .343 OBP, .406 SLG

If you triple Timo's numbers to account for the differnece in AB's he still has less HR's, less 2B's, less RBI's and, this is important... he still can't get on base!!

Tragg
07-31-2005, 01:41 AM
Nice cherry-picked stats. Here's the whole thing:

Timo (100 AB's):
.240 AVG, 2 HR, 3 2B, 9 RBI's, 17 K's, 7 BB's, .290 OBP, .330 SLG

Mackowiak (293 AB's):
.266 AVG, 8 HR, 15 2B, 43 RBI's, 66 K's, 32 BB's, .343 OBP, .406 SLG

If you triple Timo's numbers to account for the differnece in AB's he still has less HR's, less 2B's, less RBI's and, this is important... he still can't get on base!!

Seems like a useful player for whom we won't have to pay much. It would nice to get another guy who likes to walk on this team - we don't have that many.

What's the advantage to us to wait til after the deadline? They'll just reclaim him and trade him to us. Perhaps the price will be less, without all of the dealine-frenzy, although that seems speculative.

Optipessimism
07-31-2005, 01:51 AM
What's the advantage to us to wait til after the deadline? They'll just reclaim him and trade him to us. Perhaps the price will be less, without all of the dealine-frenzy, although that seems speculative.

They can't. Pitt would have to trade him before the deadline to ensure they get the deal they want.

DaleJRFan
07-31-2005, 02:08 AM
I'm sorry y'all, but Timo is a gamer and clutch in the late-innings... we'll need him down the strech. I've seen Makoviak play, and though I'm no MLB scout, I really wasn't impressed. I'll stick with Timo. Same style player, and we already have him...

Banix12
07-31-2005, 02:14 AM
I'm sorry y'all, but Timo is a gamer and clutch in the late-innings... we'll need him down the strech. I've seen Makoviak play, and though I'm no MLB scout, I really wasn't impressed. I'll stick with Timo. Same style player, and we already have him...

Ok, no Timo, but would you take Mackowiak over Willie? I figure he would be more likely to be gone instead of Timo.

DaleJRFan
07-31-2005, 02:19 AM
Ok, no Timo, but would you take Mackowiak over Willie? I figure he would be more likely to be gone instead of Timo.

In a freakin' heartbeat! But the real question is, can Mackoviak bunt?? :cool: