PDA

View Full Version : Anybody hear Konerko on Fox' Sounds of the Game?

Heffalump
07-30-2005, 05:07 PM
They had the O's first base coach, Rick Dempsey, miked up between innings and he was talking to Konerko while he warmed up. Dempsey was saying how he was impressed with Contreras' stuff and he had made some big plays for the Sox. Konerko said something to the effect of "Yeah, but every now and then he does something really stupid."

Did anyone else notice this, or was I hearing things?

Anyway, I am not a Konerko hater or a huge lover of Paulie, but he needs to STOP talking trash about his teammates! The more he talks, the more I dislike him.

That being said, he IS an integral part of the '05 Sox. Next year is another story though.

skobabe8
07-30-2005, 05:08 PM
They had the O's first base coach, Rick Dempsey, miked up between innings and he was talking to Konerko while he warmed up. Dempsey was saying how he was impressed with Contreras' stuff and he had made some big plays for the Sox. Konerko said something to the effect of "Yeah, but every now and then he does something really stupid."

Anyway, I am not a Konerko hater or a huge lover of Paulie, but he needs to STOP talking trash about his teammates! The more he talks, the more I dislike him.

That being said, he IS an integral part of the '05 Sox. Next year is another story though.

I'm actually surprised he didnt say anything worse. He probably had no idea Dempsey was miked.

Erik The Red
07-30-2005, 05:09 PM
Yeah, I heard it. GIDPK needs to learn when to shut his mouth.

MarkyBear
07-30-2005, 05:09 PM

LMAO!!!

I was gonna post something about this, I thought he said something like: "Yeah and then he goes out and does something stupid"...

How about Willie too with his "We're gonna get someone, I know we're gonna get somebody", talking to Buehrle about the Sox making a trade...

soltrain21
07-30-2005, 05:10 PM
Thats funny, I think Paulie does stupid almost all the time. You know, like when he pops out with RISP or grounds into a double play...or even opens his trap.

WhiteSox16K
07-30-2005, 05:10 PM

Well, if that is in fact what he said, I really don't care. As long as he comes up with big hits down the stretch and into the playoffs he can run his mouth all he wants. IMO in THIS situation, he was pretty much telling it like it is and I wouldn't really call it talking trash.

Palehose13
07-30-2005, 05:12 PM
LMAO!!!

I was gonna post something about this, I thought he said something like: "Yeah and then he goes out and does something stupid"...

How about Willie too with his "We're gonna get someone, I know we're gonna get somebody", talking to Buehrle about the Sox making a trade...

I caught that and wished they kept the tape rolling a bit longer. Looks like the guys know that they needs a little help for the stretch.

Heffalump
07-30-2005, 05:13 PM
Well, if that is in fact what he said, I really don't care. As long as he comes up with big hits down the stretch and into the playoffs he can run his mouth all he wants. IMO in THIS situation, he was pretty much telling it like it is and I wouldn't really call it talking trash.

I agree that as long as he contributes the rest of the way (solid defense, usual 35-40 HR, 100 RBI) I am fine with his mouth. However, i do think he was talking trash, as you do not rip on your teammates on national television, even if it is true or not.

MarkyBear
07-30-2005, 05:16 PM
I caught that and wished they kept the tape rolling a bit longer. Looks like the guys know that they needs a little help for the stretch.

Yeah they cut that tape pretty quick, same with Konerko's...

Also looks like Willie thinks he's a keeper on this team for the rest of the year too!!! :rolleyes:

SomebodyToldMe
07-30-2005, 05:18 PM

That part was great! It should have went like this though:

Willie: We're gonna get somebody. I know where gonna get somebody.
Mark: I know...And when we do, I hope you'll enjoy your new team.

Palehose13
07-30-2005, 05:20 PM
Yeah they cut that tape pretty quick, same with Konerko's...

Also looks like Willie thinks he's a keeper on this team for the rest of the year too!!! :rolleyes:

I was thinking the same about Willie. As soon as I heard him say that I thought "are you so sure that you are going to be here?"

JB98
07-30-2005, 05:22 PM
I agree that as long as he contributes the rest of the way (solid defense, usual 35-40 HR, 100 RBI) I am fine with his mouth. However, i do think he was talking trash, as you do not rip on your teammates on national television, even if it is true or not.

It wasn't like he was giving an interview. He probably didn't know Dempsey was miked. Who cares?

dickallen15
07-30-2005, 05:23 PM
They said he was talking about Contreras, but I don't think so. Dempsey has been a Baltimore coach for 4 or 5 years and Contreras has faced Baltimore several times. Dempsey said he really hadn't seen whoever they were talking about, and mentioned toughness, something that often isn't mentioned about Contreras. I think they were talking about either Uribe or Iguchi.

soltrain21
07-30-2005, 05:24 PM
It wasn't like he was giving an interview. He probably didn't know Dempsey was miked. Who cares?

I do. We are A TEAM. You are only as strong as your weakest link. It really sucks that Paulie isn't buying into the "team" attitude. Do you think Frank Thomas or Carl would say something like that?

Palehose13
07-30-2005, 05:25 PM
They said he was talking about Contreras, but I don't think so. Dempsey has been a Baltimore coach for 4 or 5 years and Contreras has faced Baltimore several times. Dempsey said he really hadn't seen whoever they were talking about, and mentioned toughness, something that often isn't mentioned about Contreras. I think they were talking about either Uribe or Iguchi.

I was surprised when they said that the conversation was about Contreras. I thought it sounded like they were talking about a position player.

Palehose13
07-30-2005, 05:27 PM
I do. We are A TEAM. You are only as strong as your weakest link. It really sucks that Paulie isn't buying into the "team" attitude. Do you think Frank Thomas or Carl would say something like that?

I Imagine that Carl would have said something like this:

:everett:

"You damn right. He's one tough ass mother ****er. The man is a gamer...and is one fine dancer in the dug out!"

JB98
07-30-2005, 05:27 PM

Quit your crying. We're 67-35. All you Konerko haters have assured me Paulie's mouth is going to "ruin team chemistry." It still hasn't happened, and it won't happen.

I'm done with this thread. Flame away, thin-skinned losers.

Heffalump
07-30-2005, 05:28 PM

It does matter, because if Konerko will say @#$% like this to an opposing team's first base coach, who knows what he says to his own teammates.

Anyway, it is NOT a big deal. I just though it was an interesting tidbit from the Fox game (all their little techie toys during the game usually just annoy the hell out of me). It also provides a little more insight into what kind of guy Paulie is.

Mr. White Sox
07-30-2005, 05:31 PM
I was surprised when they said that the conversation was about Contreras. I thought it sounded like they were talking about a position player.

Yeah...I'm almost positive they were talking about Uribe, but who cares? From what we've heard, PK isn't a cancer in the clubhouse, and I'm sure it's not a big deal. I'm also not a fan of FOX, but they actually did well today, despite the rampant advertising and scooter. Props to Torborg on some great analysis.

Chisox003
07-30-2005, 05:35 PM
Quit your crying. We're 67-35. All you Konerko haters have assured me Paulie's mouth is going to "ruin team chemistry." It still hasn't happened, and it won't happen.

I smell another 500 page thread on "Konerko is a terrible teammate...blah blah blah" followed by at LEAST 4 threads on "Konerko needs to go", "PK SUCKS! TRADE HIM"

One of the downfalls of WSI, unfortunately :rolleyes:

MarkyBear
07-30-2005, 05:37 PM

:rolling:

And maybe add,

Mark: I hope whomever he is can bunt and hit his weight!

SomebodyToldMe
07-30-2005, 05:44 PM
:rolling:

And maybe add,

Mark: I hope whomever he is can bunt and hit his weight!

:roflmao:

Now THAT'S a winner!

nedlug
07-30-2005, 05:47 PM
...despite the rampant advertising and scooter...

Yeah, what WAS that scooter crap? How old does FOX think the average viewer is, 7?

TaylorStSox
07-30-2005, 05:57 PM
I thought they were talking about Uribe or Crede. It's a stupid thing to say. God, that guy's an idiot.

Lyle Overbay.......where are you?

jabrch
07-30-2005, 06:02 PM
Yeah, I heard it. GIDPK needs to learn when to shut his mouth.

While I agree PK should shut his mouth a bit - this is not one of those times. It is 100% true and everyone knows it that Contreras is hard to hit - but every now and then he does something stupid. That's 100% accurate - and I have no problem hearing it from PK.

shoota
07-30-2005, 06:03 PM
I didn't see any fault with Konerko's previous public comments, except for the one where he thought Uribe's fake of Derrek Lee was inappropriate. But after hearing today's comment, I am starting to mind his comments.

If Paulie's comment today was the only quasi-negative one he's said all year, I would easily dismiss it. But the cumulative quasi-negative comments about his own teammates is unacceptable. If I were in the dugout, I'd let him know his teammates don't take kindly to his comments.

And PaleHoseGeorge's theory proves correct again. Konerko hits a 3-run home run in a Sox win last night, and today he runs his mouth.

I think this is Paul Konerko's last season with the White Sox.

jabrch
07-30-2005, 06:04 PM

If Konerko is our weakest link, we are a World Series Champion FOR SURE.

I'm not a diehard PK lover - but .261/.360/.492 with 23 HR and 63 RBI after 99 games is pretty damn good.

MarkyBear
07-30-2005, 06:05 PM
I thought they were talking about Uribe or Crede. It's a stupid thing to say. God, that guy's an idiot.

Lyle Overbay.......where are you?

I thought it was Crede too untill the 'stupid' comment, thenI reallized it was more than likely Jose or Juan and the anouncers confirmed it...

I would of really like to have heard a mic on Coop' after Palmeiro's homerun though!!!

Optipessimism
07-30-2005, 06:26 PM
I Imagine that Carl would have said something like this:

:everett:

"You damn right. He's one tough ass mother ****er. The man is a gamer...and is one fine dancer in the dug out!"

LOL.

One day they need to make a movie on Crazy Carl's life. I just hope Eddie Murphy gets to play Carl.

dickallen15
07-30-2005, 06:27 PM
In defense of Konerko, that soundbyte easily could be taken out of context. Maybe he was being sarcastic or something, and you wouldn't think FOX would put anything controversial on the air. They would never have a player or coach wear a microphone again.

bunnybrief
07-30-2005, 06:33 PM
In defense of Konerko, that soundbyte easily could be taken out of context. Maybe he was being sarcastic or something, and you wouldn't think FOX would put anything controversial on the air. They would never have a player or coach wear a microphone again.

No **** - I love how some people here take heresay and just run with it.

I'll wait 'til the game shows up in the archives....

Mercy!
07-30-2005, 06:46 PM
Just in the interest of context and accuracy, here’s the complete bit (or rather, as much as Fox let us hear):

Rick Dempsey: I’ll tell you, he makes some plays. I’m impressed with him. I never got a chance to see him play very much until this year.

Konerko: Now and again he’ll do something stupid.

Dempsey: He’s a tough kid, isn’t he?

They both know Dempsey’s miked. Dempsey’s trying to compliment an opposing player. And Konerko’s contribution for the national audience's edification is a put-down. I don’t much care which White Sox player they were discussing, or whether or not PK’s statement is true. Why does he feel the need to give negative evaluations of his teammates in public?

dickallen15
07-30-2005, 06:48 PM
Just in the interest of context and accuracy, here’s the complete bit (or rather, as much as Fox let us hear):

Rick Dempsey: I’ll tell you, he makes some plays. I’m impressed with him. I never got a chance to see him play very much until this year.

They both know Dempsey’s miked. Dempsey’s trying to compliment an opposing player. And Konerko’s contribution for the national audience's edification is a put-down. I don’t much care which White Sox player they were discussing, or whether or not PK’s statement is true. Why does he feel the need to give negative evaluations of his teammates in public?

They definitely weren't talking about Contreras. I bet it was Uribe. And you know what, every now and again Juan does something stupid.

fquaye149
07-30-2005, 06:48 PM
I heard that and I was counting down to how long it would take the defenders to make excuses for Paul telling an opponent that one of his teammates DOES STUPID THINGS.

HIS OWN TEAMMATE

VivaOzzie
07-30-2005, 07:08 PM

Nah, he just knows that hes not going anywhere (except Charlotte), because nobody wants him.

And whoever Paulie is talking about, whether it be Uribe or Contreras, Im sure Ozzie tells them that they make stupid decisions some of the time. Its called tough love, constructive criticism, and I have no problem with it. If I was making stupid plays, I would want someone to call me on it.

MUsoxfan
07-30-2005, 07:26 PM
I heard that and I was counting down to how long it would take the defenders to make excuses for Paul telling an opponent that one of his teammates DOES STUPID THINGS.

HIS OWN TEAMMATE

Nobody on this team ever does anything stupid. There are never awful baserunning errors and never any horrendous swings. Paul should only ever say great things to other people because there are no bad things.

:peace: Peace, love, dope

The negativity on this board astounds me

MikeLove
07-30-2005, 07:29 PM
Maybe he was talking about Brynes (spelling?) ? He could totally fit in with those comments too.

RallyBowl
07-30-2005, 08:43 PM
I smell tomatoes.

:walnuts "Tomatoes suck. Grapes are the best fruit to put on a salad."

munchman33
07-30-2005, 08:49 PM

I care. Most White Sox fans care. I'm sure Jose Contreras cares. Oh, the 23 other guys on the team probably care. Ozzie too. Oh, and the rest of the coaching staff. Oh, and don't forget about Kenny Williams. I'm sure he cares too. Oh, and the guy who writes Konerko's check, Jerry Reinsdorf. He definately cares.

Brian26
07-30-2005, 09:20 PM
I was thinking the same about Willie. As soon as I heard him say that I thought "are you so sure that you are going to be here?"

LOL- thinking the same thing here too. Chances are, if we get someone, Willie's ass is gone.

PodzStyleMultiAccount
07-30-2005, 10:11 PM
Like it matters. Next season our 1B will be Aubrey Huff anyway!

Realist
07-30-2005, 10:24 PM
Another thread with people pulling out all stops to rip on Konerko. I'm so happy I could just crap.

FarWestChicago
07-30-2005, 10:39 PM
Another thread with people pulling out all stops to rip on Konerko.Who is pulling out stops? He ripped yet another teammate. I will never, and I mean never, have the slightest understanding of why you aPaulogists find his back stabbing behavior acceptable. It completely puzzles me.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-30-2005, 11:16 PM
LOL- thinking the same thing here too. Chances are, if we get someone, Willie's ass is gone.

Boy, you got that right. Willie Harris couldn't be anymore the last man on this team if they tatooed #25 on his forehead.

:cool:

fquaye149
07-30-2005, 11:19 PM
Nobody on this team ever does anything stupid. There are never awful baserunning errors and never any horrendous swings. Paul should only ever say great things to other people because there are no bad things.

:peace: Peace, love, dope

The negativity on this board astounds me

are you ****ing kidding me? the negativity is not on the board. The negativity is in PAULIE'S COMMENT TO AN OPPONENT THAT A PLAYER ON HIS TEAM "DOES STUPID THINGS A LOT"

Yes, contreras DOES do stupid things a lot. We all know that. But where does Paul get off dishing **** about his teammate. That's the point, you jackass.

Negativity on my part? LOL:angry::angry::angry:

fquaye149
07-30-2005, 11:22 PM
Who is pulling out stops? He ripped yet another teammate. I will never, and I mean never, have the slightest understanding of why you aPaulogists find his back stabbing behavior acceptable. It completely puzzles me.

See, since it's Pauleeeee the rules apply differently.

If Contreras had said "Yeah Paul's all right as a player, but he's always swinging for the goddamned fences and either striking out, popping up, or gidp" we would be calling for his head.

But since Paulie's such a team player, team leader, chemistry major, whiz with the glove, etc, he's allowed to talk to an opponent about how much dumb **** Contreras does.

:walnuts:
"I don't really even like him and I wish he would die, but sometimes he strikes people out"

:fogidpk:
"What a teammate!!!!!!!:D::D::D:"

oh and Contreras does stupid things sometimes? Maybe it has something to do with getting almost no run support? How much does Paulie's rally killing .240 average in April and May have to do with Contreras' incredible string of no decisions? And yet no one heard Jose bitching about his anemic cleanup hitter. All we hear is diamond Paul running his mouth, talking crap about his TEAMMATES once again.

I'm going to borrow a page from Mike Jones and say this again in the hopes that you understand the point:

PAUL TALKS **** ABOUT HIS TEAMMATES AGAIN

:walnuts:
"Back then I played calmly...then my bat go hot and I'm all smarmy"

Juice16
07-31-2005, 12:08 AM
It's OK for the board to bash anyone and anything but Paulie can't say anything. This has been one of my pet peeves on message boards and talk radio. Where does anyone get off voicing their opinion yet condemning someone in the spotlight as they voice theirs?

TornLabrum
07-31-2005, 12:14 AM
It's OK for the board to bash anyone and anything but Paulie can't say anything. This has been one of my pet peeves on message boards and talk radio. Where does anyone get off voicing their opinion yet condemning someone in the spotlight as they voice theirs?

Is anyone here actually a member of the Chicago White Sox? Does anyone here share a clubhouse with the Chicago White Sox?

Do you know the difference between a fan and a teammate? If so, you can answer your own question.

iamkoza
07-31-2005, 12:22 AM
I thought it was Crede too untill the 'stupid' comment, thenI reallized it was more than likely Jose or Juan and the anouncers confirmed it...

I would of really like to have heard a mic on Coop' after Palmeiro's homerun though!!!

Ya, he sure looked peeved, but i dont think it was at jose, because jose threw that pitch right where AJ wanted it.

Lip Man 1
07-31-2005, 12:28 AM
Just my opinion but Contreras DOES do a lot of stupid things which is why his talent will never be maximized and the Sox should get someone else to bump Harris off the team.Lip

owensmouth
07-31-2005, 12:42 AM
I care. Most White Sox fans care. I'm sure Jose Contreras cares. Oh, the 23 other guys on the team probably care. Ozzie too. Oh, and the rest of the coaching staff. Oh, and don't forget about Kenny Williams. I'm sure he cares too. Oh, and the guy who writes Konerko's check, Jerry Reinsdorf. He definately cares.Interesting assumption. The only group of people that I know of that are upset are some on this board.

Realist
07-31-2005, 12:43 AM
Who is pulling out stops? He ripped yet another teammate. I will never, and I mean never, have the slightest understanding of why you aPaulogists find his back stabbing behavior acceptable. It completely puzzles me.

I've never been a huge fan of Konerko's and I definitely wouldn't put myself in the the aPaulogists camp. It's just that the accusations of him back stabbing his teammates reminds me too much of all the "Frank is a clubhouse cancer" stuff I've heard over the years. None of us are members of the Sox clubhouse so none of us have first hand experience with how the players interact or their politics. I've never heard of one of the Sox players having a problem with anything Konerko has said in public, but perhaps I've missed something. I'd like to think the players on the White Sox aren't so thinned skinned that they'd freak out like little nancy boys at Konerko's little jabs.

None of his comments have seemed worthy of destroying the team's chemisty and that's something I hold as very important. Sure I've groaned and rolled my eyes at some of the stuff that has come out of his mouth, it just seems that more often than not the antiPaulies thrive on making mountains out of mole hills.

FarWestChicago
07-31-2005, 12:51 AM
Who was it that Konerko was supposed to be talking about? You don't know, you just assume it's Uribe or Contreras. Hell, they may have been talking about the president for all we know.Yes, I'm sure he was talking about W. You're approaching Shoota level with your passion for Wheels. :rolleyes:

FarWestChicago
07-31-2005, 12:54 AM
I've never heard of one of the Sox players having a problem with anything Konerko has said in public, but perhaps I've missed something.Ahh, the classic aPaulogist "just because the other players are too professional to act like an ass like Konerko" defense of Paulie. Do you have any conception of how absurd that argument is? It's actually a further indictment of Wheels. Why is he the only Sox player you hear, over and over and over, ripping teammates?

FarWestChicago
07-31-2005, 12:58 AM
The only group of people that I know of that are upset are some on this board.And once again, the classic aPaulogist "just because the other players are too professional to act like an ass like Konerko" defense of Paulie. Please at least attempt to come up with a rational defense for his big mouth. This crap is beyond silly. :rolleyes:

redOzone
07-31-2005, 02:00 AM

that's some good stuff

Foulke You
07-31-2005, 02:03 AM
Why is he the only Sox player you hear, over and over and over, ripping teammates?
Probably because he is one of the best hitters on the team and he is asked his opinions by the media more than a lot of the other guys. I'm sure the beat writers don't huddle around the locker of Timo Perez everyday looking for juicy sound bytes.

Honestly, I don't know why a lot of people get bent out of shape about what Konerko says. As long as Paul is driving in RBIs and hitting HRs and this team is 31 games over .500 crusing to an AL Central Title, I could care less what he is saying. Would we be 40 games over .500 instead of 31 if Paul didn't make those comments about Clayton being the best shortstop or Uribe making "stupid" plays? Absolutely not, our record would remain the same. If you want to be critical of Paulie, talk about his game skills, not some piddly comment the Fox microphones picked up. Look how much of an ass Ricky Henderson, Ty Cobb, and Reggie Jackson were...it didn't stop their teams from winning.

For all we know, his comment on the Fox microphones was friendly ribbing towards a player Konerko is tight with in the clubhouse. None of us are there, so we don't know. I'm not an "APaulogist" as you put it, just someone who doesn't find a big deal about a lot of the things he says. Obviously, it hasn't effected this team adversely nor should it effect the fans.

Mark'sBrokenFoot
07-31-2005, 02:11 AM

I could have sworn I heard, "Now watch, he'll do something stupid." Sorta like saying you jinxed him. There is a big difference. In my version, he was just trying to shut the old guy up. He really didn't look like he wanted to talk to him in the first place. Paulie is a prick, however, and my ears aren't the best, so your scenario is also very possible.

FarWestChicago
07-31-2005, 02:32 AM
I'm not an "APaulogist" as you put itI'm being nice when I refer to you as an aPaulogist. Otherwise, if you think consistently backstabbing your teammates in public is a good thing, there are other more appropriate terms relating to a significantly sub-average IQ. Take your pick.

Realist
07-31-2005, 07:18 AM
Ahh, the classic aPaulogist "just because the other players are too professional to act like an ass like Konerko" defense of Paulie. Do you have any conception of how absurd that argument is? It's actually a further indictment of Wheels. Why is he the only Sox player you hear, over and over and over, ripping teammates?

I'm starting to get the impression that you're even less a fan of Konerko than I am. :smile:

Oh well, I guess we'll both be happy when next year he's gone, his overblown salary is freed up, Dye is at first, and Anderson is in right.

Until then, I still think his so-called back stabbing is being blown way out of proportion. If the people that have done the dirty to me behind my back would have been as gentle as Konerko, they'd still be on my Christmas card list. His comments just really ain't that big of a deal to me and I'm betting that they're really not that big of a deal to his teammates.

gosox41
07-31-2005, 07:27 AM

I missed it butI'm not surprised he said it. Hopefully he's gone after this year.

Bob

PaleHoseGeorge
07-31-2005, 08:56 AM
I missed it butI'm not surprised he said it. Hopefully he's gone after this year.

Personally I can't wait for MediaWhore Konerko's quotes about Sully's bash piece on Frank in today's Cubune. I can hear it now...

:walnuts
"Frank's the best but sometimes he does things that are really stupid."

And then we have to have the same thread for the 30th time this season because MEDIAWHORE KONERKO simply can't KEEP HIS ****ING MOUTH SHUT.

:cool:

santo=dorf
07-31-2005, 09:04 AM
Just my opinion but Contreras DOES do a lot of stupid things which is why his talent will never be maximized and the Sox should get someone else to bump Harris off the team.Lip
I agree.

:whocares

fquaye149
07-31-2005, 09:11 AM
I agree.

:whocares

This is ridiculous how many otherwise intelligent posters completely miss the point.

We all agree with Lip. No one thinks Contreras is a perfect player. Hell most everyone would say what Paulie said if they were shooting the **** with their buddy at the bar...or even with the Oriole's first base coach.

But Paulie is his teammate, and he is dishing **** on his teammate TO THE OPPONENT during THE GAME.

Sorry Arnold, but I CARE. A lot of people care. This behavior is beyond unacceptable.

fquaye149
07-31-2005, 09:13 AM
To PHG: can we just rename any Konerko thread: "More crap from Media Troll GIDPKonerko" and stick it in the roadhouse?

This is getting almost as ridiculous as how so many posters are wont to say "Wellllllll as much as I hate to say it, Mariotti's right"

flo-B-flo
07-31-2005, 11:12 AM
And PaleHoseGeorge's theory proves correct again. Konerko hits a 3-run home run in a Sox win last night, and today he runs his mouth. This theory I think, is right on. When PK wasn't doing to well a couple of years ago you didn't hear a peep out of him. It does seem that when he does something good he feels the need to criticize a teammate. I believe when he ripped Frank a couple of years ago this was the case.

Mercy!
07-31-2005, 03:41 PM
I could have sworn I heard, "Now watch, he'll do something stupid." Sorta like saying you jinxed him. There is a big difference. In my version, he was just trying to shut the old guy up. He really didn't look like he wanted to talk to him in the first place. Paulie is a prick, however, and my ears aren't the best, so your scenario is also very possible.
Hi – Thanks for your interest in accuracy. I deleted my recording yesterday, so can’t double-check. I also seem to remember something like "now watch" uttered by Konerko over top of Dempsey’s first sound bite of three phrases. However, I am positive that when Dempsey paused, Konerko said exactly what I transcribed – "Now and again he’ll do something stupid."

I’ve also got to take exception to your belief that: "He really didn't look like he wanted to talk to him in the first place." The camera (and mic) caught them chatting during more than that one inning. And PK seems never to have turned down an opportunity to express an opinion. :rolleyes:
===============================================
There’s an interesting article in today’s New York Times Magazine http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/31/magazine/31METS.html?pagewanted=print about the NY Mets and the latino connection they’re trying to forge. Apropos this thread:

For years, Latin players in the big leagues were considered moody and self-absorbed, which was very much Pedro Martínez's reputation when he arrived in New York. But Minaya spoke with several of Martínez's Red Sox teammates before signing him and heard a different story. ''Pedro was very well liked by most of his teammates in Boston,'' he told me. ''He may not have been very well liked by some of the media, but the media's perception of who's a good clubhouse guy isn't always right.''

bunnybrief
07-31-2005, 04:23 PM
For all we know, his comment on the Fox microphones was friendly ribbing towards a player Konerko is tight with in the clubhouse. None of us are there, so we don't know. I'm not an "APaulogist" as you put it, just someone who doesn't find a big deal about a lot of the things he says. Obviously, it hasn't effected this team adversely nor should it effect the fans.

Yeah, no ****. Guys talk like that all the time. No need to get so emotional about it.

soxwon
07-31-2005, 04:26 PM
Thats funny, I think Paulie does stupid almost all the time. You know, like when he pops out with RISP or grounds into a double play...or even opens his trap.

who cares!!!
he's telling the truth, occasionally JC does things stupid.

fquaye149
07-31-2005, 05:33 PM
who cares!!!
he's telling the truth, occasionally JC does things stupid.

Are half the posters here high school dropouts? This isn't college level reading comprehension.

Notice, reading through this thread, that no one ever said they disagree with Paul that Jose does do stupid things (tipping pitches, relying on the fork). Everyone would probably say Paul's right about Jose doing stupid things occasionally

so what is the point of your post? Oh, you have none? Ok... my bad...

Whitesox029
07-31-2005, 10:26 PM
I wonder how many other teams' fans have an inexplicable personal vendetta against their biggest power threat and cleanup hitter....

Oh yeah that's right...none. Seriously. Grow up. Baseball players play baseball. Anything else they do is no one's business but their own.

fquaye149
07-31-2005, 10:28 PM
I wonder how many other teams' fans have an inexplicable personal vendetta against their biggest power threat and cleanup hitter....

Oh yeah that's right...none. Seriously. Grow up. Baseball players play baseball. Anything else they do is no one's business but their own.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

TornLabrum
07-31-2005, 10:58 PM

When a guy makes it a habit to either directly or indirectly criticize his own teammates, and the fans react negatively to that, how is that a vendetta against him? And please don't give me the bit about, "None of his teammates are complaining." They won't until he leaves, and only then will we find out what they think of him.

mr_genius
07-31-2005, 11:09 PM
paulie sucks, trade him

i'm sure we can easily replace his bat...

yea, he has a big mouth and needs to keep his opinions to himself more often. i'm not worried about him ruining the team chemistry. i have confidence in Ozzie to defuse any situation that might come up cause of Konerko bad mouthing teammates.

Whitesox029
08-01-2005, 12:00 AM
When a guy makes it a habit to either directly or indirectly criticize his own teammates, and the fans react negatively to that, how is that a vendetta against him? And please don't give me the bit about, "None of his teammates are complaining." They won't until he leaves, and only then will we find out what they think of him.
I dunno...all you PK-haters jump on him every time this happens, and when has it ever ruined team chemistry? ...Never. On top of that, Fox needs to screen what they broadcast as sounds of the game. If it weren't for them, no one but PK and the O's first base coach would ever have known what was said.
As long as he does his job he belongs on this team. He leads the team in HR. If that's not doing your job and filling your role then I don't know what is.

TornLabrum
08-01-2005, 12:05 AM
I dunno...all you PK-haters jump on him every time this happens, and when has it ever ruined team chemistry? ...Never. On top of that, Fox needs to screen what they broadcast as sounds of the game. If it weren't for them, no one but PK and the O's first base coach would ever have known what was said.
As long as he does his job he belongs on this team. He leads the team in HR. If that's not doing your job and filling your role then I don't know what is.

Sorry, I'm not a PK hater. I'm all for keeping Konerko here next year. What I don't like is the direct and indirect criticisms of his teammates that he seems to feel it is his obligation to make. As a friend of mine is fond of saying, "When did they have an election and make him God?"

MUsoxfan
08-01-2005, 01:47 AM
Sorry, I'm not a PK hater. I'm all for keeping Konerko here next year. What I don't like is the direct and indirect criticisms of his teammates that he seems to feel it is his obligation to make. As a friend of mine is fond of saying, "When did they have an election and make him God?"

I think he both offers and accepts criticisms. I don't see Paulie flying off the handle when somebody say he "does stupid things at times". I will continue to support PK because I feel he's honest in saying things that maybe aren't the smartest things to say.

Mercy!
08-01-2005, 02:17 AM
... I don't see Paulie flying off the handle when somebody say he "does stupid things at times"...
Would you please give an example (preferably from this season) of one of his teammates saying anything negative about him?

fquaye149
08-01-2005, 06:37 AM
this is so ****ing ridiculous. clearly the apaulogists have never played any sort of organized sport...

because if they had, and had ever played for a coach with half a nut, they'd know that saying the things Paulie says about his teammates gets you benched.

if your high school coach heard you say a teammate helping you win the game was bush...that basically every player who doesn't play for you anymore is better than your current teammates...and now that your teammate "does stupid things"...you would be grabbing some pine or probably even kicked off the team.

that's it. that's the bottom line. the majors are a different ballgame and it's harder to bench or kick someone off the team if they're making 8 mill and putting up decent power numbers....but everyone here should know it's unacceptable..that is, if they know what it means to be a member of a team.

fquaye149
08-01-2005, 06:41 AM
I think he both offers and accepts criticisms. I don't see Paulie flying off the handle when somebody say he "does stupid things at times". I will continue to support PK because I feel he's honest in saying things that maybe aren't the smartest things to say.

that's the ****ing point.

who is paulie to give criticism publicly?

notice how not a one of his teammates are publicly criticizing him.

And by the way, the way to criticize is not through the media.

unless you think konerko went up to contreras privately before discussing him with the orioles 1st base coach. if you think that, however, i've got some land...

TornLabrum
08-01-2005, 07:28 AM

Exactly what criticisms of Paulie have there been in public for him to accept. It's Konerko who keeps shooting off his mouth. I have yet to hear any other player say anything bad about any player on this club.

MsSoxVixen22
08-01-2005, 09:09 AM
Honestly I wasn't surprised Paulie said what he did. I thought what Buehrle said to Willie was ****ing hilarious! That'll keep me laughing all day! :tongue:

Fungo
08-01-2005, 09:23 AM
In what has been, so far, a wonderful year, some of you really like to harp on the negative. Don't let me stop you though, you've almost got that tomato.

:contreras:
"Yeah, but every now and then he says something really stupid."

fquaye149
08-01-2005, 09:44 AM
In what has been, so far, a wonderful year, some of you really like to harp on the negative. Don't let me stop you though, you've almost got that tomato.

:contreras:
"Yeah, but every now and then he says something really stupid."

This has far less replies than the thread crying about Kenny not mortgaging the farm (and current starters for)

a.) a 3 month rental who may not be any better than Kerry Wood

b.) a slightly above average hitting defensive butcher and a struggling middle reliever

c.) a closer whose team refused to trade him.

you want to pretend any posters at this site are sunny about the white sox? ok...:rolleyes:

RKMeibalane
08-01-2005, 09:58 AM

My gawd. Some of you aPaulogists aren't even Sox fans anymore.

maurice
08-01-2005, 02:21 PM
Holy crap! I knew Konerko was a media whore, but now he's taling **** about his teammates to opponents?!? I wouldn't be surprised if this is about Uribe; it fits a pattern. Funny thing is, Uribe's a smarter player than Konerko.

Any way you cut it, it's a chicken**** move on Konerko's part. He doesn't have the balls to call a teammate stupid to his face, so he says it behind his back. Absolutely classless.

Steakpita
08-01-2005, 02:49 PM
Hey.... Sox two outs away from sweeping Baltimore....

GO SOX!

jesus, these threads piss me off. How many times can people say the same things, on both sides?

fquaye149
08-01-2005, 03:15 PM

GO SOX!

jesus, these threads piss me off. How many times can people say the same things, on both sides?

how about instead of blaming the public blame the person who keeps saying the same things in front of the microphone.

Steakpita
08-01-2005, 03:19 PM
I'm blaming the people who say the same things over and over again in front of me, on this board. Not the public. ::sigh:: no more reading these threads for me, that's the easiest solution.

woodenleg
08-01-2005, 03:51 PM

GO SOX!

You wouldn't know that we just swept them, would you?