PDA

View Full Version : Why not let Cotts close?

Domeshot17
07-30-2005, 04:05 PM
Why not let Cotts Close. He is equally effective versus rightys and lefties, he is a high strike out pitcher who has learned to command his pitches and the strike zone very well and he appears fearless. Sounds like a closer to me! If we let him close, then we can try and add a middle reliever inlue or a closer and the MR should come cheaper

rowand33
07-30-2005, 04:06 PM
Why not let Cotts Close. He is equally effective versus rightys and lefties, he is a high strike out pitcher who has learned to command his pitches and the strike zone very well and he appears fearless. Sounds like a closer to me! If we let him close, then we can try and add a middle reliever inlue or a closer and the MR should come cheaper

why not let Hermy close?

Domeshot17
07-30-2005, 04:08 PM
This was meant as an insurance plan to Herm if his back continues to hurt. I just think adding a solid middle reliever and shifting Cotts if need be would be much more effective then the over rated over priced Beaz, It just sounds more and more like we are going to pay a wagner price for beaz.

rowand33
07-30-2005, 04:11 PM
This was meant as an insurance plan to Herm if his back continues to hurt. I just think adding a solid middle reliever and shifting Cotts if need be would be much more effective then the over rated over priced Beaz, It just sounds more and more like we are going to pay a wagner price for beaz.

I'd like to see Politte close some games if Hermy went down.

Chisox003
07-30-2005, 04:12 PM
Why are threads like this even started? Why am I responding to it?

I think we have some guy named Hermanson still on the team, if I'm not mistaken

Jjav829
07-30-2005, 04:14 PM

You really trust Neal Cotts to close out a playoff game at this point? I don't.

And I changed your thread title. It was too misleading for this time of the year. It looked like we had acquired a new closer.

BeviBall!
07-30-2005, 04:18 PM
C'mon now.

Domeshot17
07-30-2005, 04:25 PM
Okay, Sorry about the title i understand how it was misleading, My point was just, why overpay for Beaz when we have guys who are most likely more effective in the role. Beaz is ultimately a closer by default on Tampa Bay, and I think Cotts could strive in the closers role IF HERMANSON WENT DOWN. I am not saying, hey lets kick out Dustin, but Cotts has been so effective ( as has pollitte I just love him in the 8th inning personally setting up). I actually believe you could mis match any of those 3 and have a great 7 8 9 inning combo. I did not mean to forget about Hermy at all.

I would not mind letting cotts save a few games while Dustin rests his back. I know a lot of times with lower back pain the only real rehab is rest and stretching, so why not see what Cotts can do.

mdep524
07-30-2005, 04:30 PM
In 2006 or 2007 if he's not in the rotation, I would consider Cotts for closer (I think Ozzie has said he same). Jenks too. But not in 2005.