PDA

View Full Version : Sosa's slide

JermaineDye05
07-30-2005, 03:03 PM
I'm not sure if there was a thread about this, but I was wondering what your guys take was on Sammy's slide the other day, do you think it was a dirty play or not, if you didn't see it, Sammy pretty much tried to nail rod barajas in the face on his slide with his foot

Madvora
07-30-2005, 03:45 PM
I didn't see the slide, but I read about it. Sosa called the guy the next day to apologize for the play.

SOXfnNlansing
07-30-2005, 05:19 PM
I didn't see the slide either, but I have noticed the production slide the past few years :barney&sham

SomebodyToldMe
07-30-2005, 05:34 PM
I didn't see the slide either, but I have noticed the production slide the past few years

ZING!

Trav
07-31-2005, 03:16 AM
It was terrible. And I am talking about form and effectiveness, not about the spikes high. Sosa's slide was an easy way to pretend he cared about being safe. If he goes in standing up, he gets booed for not trying. If he tries to plow him over he may bruise. If he tries a hook slide, he is going to get a catcher in full gear trying to shove him off the plate. If he goes in like he did, he doesn't allow the catcher to get a shin guard on him because he kept him at legs length.

I have no problem with going in spikes high because it is part of baseball. Catchers are known to try and get their shin guards on you. Pitchers are known (were known, before the watering down of the game) for throwing inside or at a batter who is crowding or has showed him up in a previous at-bat. A runner goes in and does what he needs to do to be safe. Going in spikes high is dirty but part of the game.

This wasn't dirty. It was good ole' fashioned SoSo lazy, me-first baseball.

Hangar18
07-31-2005, 08:59 AM
I didn't see the slide either, but I have noticed the production slide the past few years :barney&sham

I predicted the production slide also. How Dumb can the Orioles be to trade for Sammy? I think I predicted .250 in the American League