PDA

View Full Version : Podsednik's Power

basilesox
07-30-2005, 02:49 PM
First off I want to start the thread off by saying that this is not a slam on Scott. I think he and Garland would be Co-MVPs if the season ended right now.

But, I am a little curious. Does anybody have a theory on why Scott's Power numbers have dropped so much this year? I know that they aren't asking for him to swing for the fences, but to just get on base......but he has certainly dropped off quite a bit.

2003 9 HR 58 RBI
2004 12HR 39 RBI
2005 OHR 18 RBI

Just wanted to see if anybody has a theory or if this has been brought up in the media at all.

SOXSINCE'70
07-30-2005, 02:51 PM
OBP is more important than HR's.Ozzie and the Sox convinced him of this.
The fact that he has 53 SB's (at last count) tells you his game has changed.
It's all about getting on base and scoring runs.

mrwaffle
07-30-2005, 02:52 PM
As far as I know he wants to hit the ball on the ground more, because last year he felt his average dropped from flying out so often. Since speed doesn't help if you hit pop fly outs.

harwar
07-30-2005, 02:57 PM
Scott has worked very hard to be a good leadoff man

MHOUSE
07-30-2005, 03:02 PM
I think Ozzie told him forget about everything but getting on base, stealing bases, and scoring runs. Scott has done that, so who cares if he hits a single home run or not? His average was below .250 last year I think like .247 so he's tried to get that up around .300 which is what he needed to do to be successful. Go Scotty Pods!

NSSoxFan
07-30-2005, 03:02 PM
Posts like this confuse me. Did you enjoy watching Ray Durham swing for the fences every freakin' AB?

:?:

FarWestChicago
07-30-2005, 03:08 PM
Posts like this confuse me. Did you enjoy watching Ray Durham swing for the fences every freakin' AB?

:?:Unbelievably enough, there are still a lot of WTP fans around here. :?:

Chips
07-30-2005, 03:10 PM
I asked about this earlier, and I guess after a while, Scott tried hitting more and more homers and messed up his swing. I like the way he is playing right now, no need to change it. If he hits a dinger, great, if not, that fine too.

basilesox
07-30-2005, 03:30 PM

:?:

How did I know that even though I started off my post with "This is not a slam on Scott" and "He is our MVP" that I would get responses like this.

I am obviously a big fan of Scott's. (See above quotes) I just wanted to see if anyone had theories about his lack of HRs so far. I agree with everyone that I like what he had done and I thought I made that obvious. I had a theory that he has basically turned into more of a "slap" type hitter that tries to get on base like Ichiro. I just wanted to see if anybody else agreed with that theory. I am a little surprised that he doesn't try to go deep every once in a while especially if he gets a cookie right down the middle. Although, as I think abou it, he would probably have to be in that mind set (to drive the ball) before the pitch was thrown.

BeviBall!
07-30-2005, 03:33 PM
I'll take .295 instead of .223.

basilesox
07-30-2005, 03:34 PM
Unbelievably enough, there are still a lot of WTP fans around here. :?:

I have to admit that I was once a Durham Fan. Probably because he put up some pretty mean numbers back in the day while playing with the Sox.

.295 BA .378 OBP 181 Hits 34 SB

.285 BA .362 OBP 181 Hits 36 SB

Gavin
07-30-2005, 03:38 PM
How did I know that even though I started off my post with "This is not a slam on Scott" and "He is our MVP" that I would get responses like this.

Seriously, some people are here just jackasses.

basilesox
07-30-2005, 03:41 PM

Agreed, Thats why I dont post alot.

I do enjoy reading the threads though. I ***** alot of times reading these boards.

NSSoxFan
07-30-2005, 03:43 PM

Please, Gavin, explain to me how I'm a jackass.

TaylorStSox
07-30-2005, 03:44 PM
Unbelievably enough, there are still a lot of WTP fans around here. :?:

People are really confused about how bad of a player WTP was. He certainly wasn't awful and we probably asked him to do things he wasn't capable of but, he was vastly overated.

basilesox
07-30-2005, 03:47 PM
Please, Gavin, explain to me how I'm a jackass.

Maybe Jackass is a little strong........but I can give it a try.

I basically start a thread out by stating that I think Scott has done great this year and that I am only curious as to any theories about his lack of power and I get a very Smart ASS remark back.

I didn't say anything about how I wanted him to hit more HRs and get on base less. The post in itself didn't deserve the reply that you gave it.

NSSoxFan
07-30-2005, 03:48 PM

I basically start a thread out by stating that I think Scott has done great this year and that I am only curious as to any theories about his lack of power and I get a very Smart ASS remark back.

I didn't say anything about how I wanted him to hit more HRs and get on base less. The post in itself didn't deserve the reply that you gave it.

I'm sorry I hurt your feelings basile.

:rolleyes:

TaylorStSox
07-30-2005, 03:49 PM

The answer's obvious. What did you expect?

basilesox
07-30-2005, 03:50 PM
People are really confused about how bad of a player WTP was. He certainly wasn't awful and we probably asked him to do things he wasn't capable of but, he was vastly overated.

I don't see how anybody who put up those kinds of numbers (See previous post) can be considered a "bad" player.

I always thought that Ray had the potential to hit .320. Obviously I was not correct in this assessment. Trust me, my buddies laughed when I told them that Ray had .320 potential. They would say..."*** does that mean?"

Still I consider him a "good" player. As a leadoff hitter though, He is certainly no Podsednik or Damon.

Gavin
07-30-2005, 03:52 PM

Next time try reading a post before you reply to it. It prepares you in that, after reading the initial post, you have a far better idea of how to/what to respond with. For example, reading the first post on any particular topic informs you:
1) What the post is about
2) What the post isn't about
3) What topic an intelligent reply would address
4) What topic a jackass reply would address

And in the general sense being informed on the thread which you are replying to just makes you look smarter from the get go.

basilesox

Now thats funny..........

Seriously buddy I am not crying over here. I just laughed because I phrased my post to avoid comments such as yours......but I knew that I would get them anyway. I dont really care.

TaylorStSox
I don't see how anybody who put up those kinds of numbers (See previous post) can be considered a "bad" player.

I always thought that Ray had the potential to hit .320. Obviously I was not correct in this assessment. Trust me, my buddies laughed when I told them that Ray had .320 potential. They would say..."*** does that mean?"

Still I consider him a "good" player. As a leadoff hitter though, He is certainly no Podsednik or Damon.

He was horrible defensively, thought he was a power hitter (hence the nickname) and was bad situationally. We probably asked him to do things he couldn't do. He was more suited for the 6 hole. His numbers were always good though. Sometimes, the numbers don't tell the whole truth.

doublem23
07-30-2005, 03:54 PM
The post about Podsednik's average last year relating to fly balls is dead on. I don't remember where I heard it, but I think Scott Podsednik made more fly ball outs than anyone last year (or something like that... He hit a lot of fly balls), and no matter how quick you are, you can't rush a defender on a fly ball. There's really only a select handful of scenarios I'd even want a lead-off guy swinging for the fences; Scott has no reason to and is the best lead-off hitter in the American Leage (except for Ichiro Suzuki), IMO, for that reason.

basilesox
07-30-2005, 03:56 PM
He was horrible defensively, thought he was a power hitter (hence the nickname) and was bad situationally. We probably asked him to do things he couldn't do. He was more suited for the 6 hole. His numbers were always good though. Sometimes, the numbers don't tell the whole truth.

Isn't horrible a little too strong of a word. I know he wasn't good defensively, but I would give him slightly below average. He made a ton of mental lapses, but he had pretty good range, IMO. He could certainly get on his high horse into the OF to make a play every once in a while. This alone should eliminate him from the "Steve Sax" Category of fielding 2Bs.

TaylorStSox
07-30-2005, 03:59 PM
Isn't horrible a little too strong of a word. I know he wasn't good defensively, but I would give him slightly below average. He made a ton of mental lapses, but he had pretty good range, IMO. He could certainly get on his high horse into the OF to make a play every once in a while. This alone should eliminate him from the "Steve Sax" Category of fielding 2Bs.

This is the biggest misconception about Ray. He had a good glove but absolutely no range. People thought he had good range because he went back on balls well. This was probably due to his good speed. His lack of quickness and poor instincts caused him to play a ton of ground balls wrong. His range was bad. It's that simple. Hence, his other nickname "The Fire Hydrant."

NSSoxFan
07-30-2005, 04:03 PM
This is the biggest misconception about Ray. He had a good glove but absolutely no range. People thought he had good range because he went back on balls well. This was probably due to his good speed. His lack of quickness and poor instincts caused him to play a ton of ground balls wrong. His range was bad. It's that simple. Hence, his other nickname "The Fire Hydrant."

I will always remember two moments in Ray Durham's Sox career.

1) Opening Day 2000 - incredible over the head catch running into RF.
2) ALDS Game 1 - 2-Run HR gives Sox the brief lead against Seattle.

FarWestChicago
07-30-2005, 04:22 PM
This is the biggest misconception about Ray. He had a good glove but absolutely no range. People thought he had good range because he went back on balls well. This was probably due to his good speed. His lack of quickness and poor instincts caused him to play a ton of ground balls wrong. His range was bad. It's that simple. Hence, his other nickname "The Fire Hydrant."His complete and total lack of range on ground balls was truly astonishing. For a player to be that fast, yet so Choice-like in range, was just something to see. :o:

hose
07-30-2005, 04:48 PM
Was Ray the "Fire Hydrant" or "Fire Plug"....for the record.

SpammySosa
07-30-2005, 05:39 PM
Next time try reading a post before you reply to it. It prepares you in that, after reading the initial post, you have a far better idea of how to/what to respond with. For example, reading the first post on any particular topic informs you:
1) What the post is about
2) What the post isn't about
3) What topic an intelligent reply would address
4) What topic a jackass reply would address

And in the general sense being informed on the thread which you are replying to just makes you look smarter from the get go.

If WSI had a "skating on thin ice" smilie,I think right now would be a perfect opportunity to use it.:D:

jabrch
07-30-2005, 06:06 PM

14 posts and you draw that conclusion? With posts like this you have a good chance of not making it to 50.

jabrch
07-30-2005, 06:10 PM
Pods was swinging for the fences last year a bit - and his avg and obp both sunk tremendously. When KW got him, Ozzie and Rock spent time with him working on getting him back to 2003 Pods (.314/.379/.443) rather than 2004 Pods (.244/.313/.364). The extra few HRs he got last year was not worth the degradation in performance.

Remember when we got him - we said if we could get numbers in the middle of 2003 and 2004 we'd be golden - well we have a guy hitting .296/.363/.352. That's EXACTLY what we need from him. I don't care if he hits a single HR all season...

bigfoot
07-30-2005, 07:37 PM
Pods was swinging for the fences last year a bit - and his avg and obp both sunk tremendously. When KW got him, Ozzie and Rock spent time with him working on getting him back to 2003 Pods (.314/.379/.443) rather than 2004 Pods (.244/.313/.364). The extra few HRs he got last year was not worth the degradation in performance.

Remember when we got him - we said if we could get numbers in the middle of 2003 and 2004 we'd be golden - well we have a guy hitting .296/.363/.352. That's EXACTLY what we need from him. I don't care if he hits a single HR all season...

Pods is a smart guy. When Ozzie and Rock pointed out the missing "Titleist" logo on the 2004/2005 MLB baseball, Pods instantly recognized that he would be hitting for average this year, not HRs.:wink:

shes
07-30-2005, 08:08 PM
What exactly does WTP mean? Warning track power?

Chips
07-30-2005, 08:11 PM
What exactly does WTP mean? Warning track power?

Exactly, It's a reference to Ray Durham

lths06
07-30-2005, 08:12 PM
I understand what you are talking about, but you would think that in a game with the Sox leading by like 5 runs in the 8th inning, 2 out and no one on base, Pods would try (at least on one of the pitches) to knock one out. I don't think anone on this board or Ozzie would mind that.

elrod
07-30-2005, 08:13 PM
Pods' power stats, and Iguchi's overall numbers, are the reason the team is so good. Sacrificing personal gain for team gain.

DrGiggles
07-30-2005, 09:16 PM
He's not swinging for the fence like last year which caused his low batting average last year. Now he's swinging for base hits and bunting a lot. He's doing good right now.

slobes
07-30-2005, 11:27 PM
I'll take .295 instead of .223.

Couldn't have said it better.

Norberto7
07-31-2005, 12:10 AM
He should have a clause in his contract that fines him for home runs. :tongue:

SOX ADDICT '73
07-31-2005, 12:47 AM
If WSI had a "skating on thin ice" smilie,I think right now would be a perfect opportunity to use it.:D:
Seriously! I wonder how much NSSoxFan, a four-year member with over 1600 posts, enjoys being schooled on "WSI etiquette" by a newbie...