PDA

View Full Version : Vizcaino - 1.29 era for July

hose
07-30-2005, 07:55 AM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/stats/individual_player_splits.jsp?c_id=cws&playerID=150430&sitSplit1=All&statType=2&statSet=1&splitSet=1

That followed a 2.25 era for June.

Ozzie mentioned that they believe Vizcaino pitches better the more they use him. Luis is going to get a chance to prove this out as we get into August.

The Sox starters are probably going to show the effects of the hot summer months and need the bull pen to get more involved. The last couple of weeks is proving this to be the case. The next 3-4 weeks is going to be a real big test for how good our bull pen is. With Hermanson's back troubles Vizcaino is going to be getting into a lot of close games, so I hope he can continue to get the job done.

Iguana775
07-30-2005, 08:09 AM
I noticed that his ERA was not below 4. way to go Viz!!

Ol' No. 2
07-30-2005, 08:31 AM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/stats/individual_player_splits.jsp?c_id=cws&playerID=150430&sitSplit1=All&statType=2&statSet=1&splitSet=1

That followed a 2.25 era for June.

Ozzie mentioned that they believe Vizcaino pitches better the more they use him. Luis is going to get a chance to prove this out as we get into August.

The Sox starters are probably going to show the effects of the hot summer months and need the bull pen to get more involved. The last couple of weeks is proving this to be the case. The next 3-4 weeks is going to be a real big test for how good our bull pen is. With Hermanson's back troubles Vizcaino is going to be getting into a lot of close games, so I hope he can continue to get the job done.ERA for relievers isn't a very good indicator. I'd be a lot more impressed if his WHIP was down significantly.

The Wimperoo
07-30-2005, 09:01 AM
Viz has allowed 11 of 35 inherited runners to score this year, while only 3 of his 19 bequeathed runners have scored.

hose
07-30-2005, 09:03 AM
ERA for relievers isn't a very good indicator. I'd be a lot more impressed if his WHIP was down significantly.

No doubt I would also like to see his whip down. He has to cut down on his walks , same with Marte.

hose
07-30-2005, 09:06 AM
Viz has allowed 11 of 35 inherited runners to score this year, while only 3 of his 19 bequeathed runners have scored.

His splits shows he does better starting off the inning vs. coming in with men on base.

I'm not lighting up a cigar like Red Auerbach when Vizcaino comes into the game , but he has shown some improvement in the last couple of months. During April and May it would have been an exploding cigar.:o:

The Wimperoo
07-30-2005, 09:17 AM
Here are all of the relievers inherited runners scored

Politte - 9 of 35
Hermanson - 2 of 12
Cotts - 10 of 31
Marte - 8 or 21
Jenks - 0 of 2

Not on team anymore
Shingo - 5 of 16
Walker - 2 of 5

Optipessimism
07-30-2005, 09:30 AM
His splits shows he does better starting off the inning vs. coming in with men on base.

Who doesn't?

harwar
07-30-2005, 09:54 AM
Ozzie mentioned that they believe Vizcaino pitches better the more they use him. Luis is going to get a chance to prove this out as we get into August

I watch a lot of brewers games up here in wisconsin and i can tell you that Jose has said as much himself.
He likes to pitch as much as he can and thats pretty much the way he was used last year.

hose
07-30-2005, 10:16 AM
Who doesn't?

Ozzie likes to bring in relievers in the middle of innings for match ups. Last night's game is par for the year. I think the way Ozzie uses his bull pen goes against the latest trend for the most part where teams have set roles for the 7th, 8th, and 9th inning. I'm sure Hermanson's injury factors into this somehow.

santo=dorf
07-30-2005, 11:10 AM
ERA for relievers isn't a very good indicator. I'd be a lot more impressed if his WHIP was down significantly.

Vizcaino's whip is .08 better than Marte's, a guy you once defended by pointing out his then 2.5 something ERA.:rolleyes:

mdep524
07-30-2005, 11:24 AM
I'm beginning to think ERA is nearly meaningless for short relievers. Vizcaino and Marte have spiffy looking ERAs, but horrible WHIPs, and inflate their teammate's ERAs by letting inherited runners score. Plus, neither seems to be a "clutch" reliever that is trustworthy not to give up a HR/bases loaded walk in the 9th inning of a tight game.

balke
07-30-2005, 11:34 AM
Viz is effective against non-stars. I hope to never see the game on the line, and Viz versus Sweeney, Manny, Ortiz etc. again this season. He's not as bad as people think, I just don't think he has the stuff to get out a great hitter in a clutch situation unless that batter beats himself.

SOXfnNlansing
07-30-2005, 11:44 AM
Viz has allowed 11 of 35 inherited runners to score this year, while only 3 of his 19 bequeathed runners have scored. Amen brother! For all you others tryin' to sell vizz the fizz onto anyone, save it please (unless another team is buyin' it)

ssviland
07-30-2005, 01:03 PM

As was pointed out in this forum, few of the Sox relievers have done well in keep inherited runners from scoring. 11/35 isn't terrible, but I want to point out that Vizcaino seem to get hit hard in pressure situations. When he comes in to begin an inning with a 3+ lead, he gets through 2 innings safely. That is mostly how Ozzy has used him since early-season woes, but had to come in for pressure situations when Hermanson was hurting and in extra innings.

If you don't need to rely on him late in the game, he is an effective middle-inning guy. Nothing more.

Chisox003
07-30-2005, 01:23 PM
Amen brother! For all you others tryin' to sell vizz the fizz onto anyone, save it please (unless another team is buyin' it)

Viz the fizz might just be the worst nickname. Ever.

The guy isnt bad at all...Why people on this site continue to bash him and call for his demotion/trade is beyond me

But this is the place where people suggest, weekly, for the trades of 15-20 guys from the best team in baseball.....:rolleyes:

MHOUSE
07-30-2005, 03:09 PM
Viz has steadily gotten better since April/May and I hope he continues the improvement. Ozzie has gotten used to what spots he can use him and he has gotten used to AL hitters. We'll need him to be effective down the stretch.

hose
07-30-2005, 04:06 PM
Viz has steadily gotten better since April/May and I hope he continues the improvement. Ozzie has gotten used to what spots he can use him and he has gotten used to AL hitters. We'll need him to be effective down the stretch.

Vizcaino is going to have to do his part to eat a lot of innings in the next 4 weeks .

Good to see Ozzie go to Jenks in the 8th today, it has to help Bobby's confidence.