PDA

View Full Version : did anyone see....

JermaineDye05
07-30-2005, 01:48 AM
hey did anyone see that video of what happened to that 1 atlanta pitcher, where his arm just snapped

Tragg
07-30-2005, 01:59 AM
Yes

He fell about 10 feet from the mound, and the pitch went 20 feet off the plate. I wasn't eyeballing it close enough (nor did I want) to see a dangling arm or anything like that.

DaleJRFan
07-30-2005, 02:06 AM
ouch...

http://atlanta.braves.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050730&content_id=1150251&vkey=news_atl&fext=.jsp&c_id=atl

That looks painful.

Banix12
07-30-2005, 02:22 AM
Tough luck for Jay Powell, I haven't seen the video but he just came off an injury and another bad injury is probably the end of his career.

Was the injury like the freak injury that hit that Florida pitcher whose arm snapped mid pitch a few years ago? I think Tony Saunders was his name?

DaleJRFan
07-30-2005, 02:30 AM
Tough luck for Jay Powell, I haven't seen the video but he just came off an injury and another bad injury is probably the end of his career.

Was the injury like the freak injury that hit that Florida pitcher whose arm snapped mid pitch a few years ago? I think Tony Saunders was his name?

His elbow definately gave out mid-delivery... completely snapped. I feel for the guy, simply because that had to be extremely painful. I am sure the team will take good care of him if it is career ending... most MLB clubs do.

Joosh
07-30-2005, 02:51 AM

I never saw the event you're talking about, but I would assume yes.

His arm apparently broke when he threw. Snapped.

Such a horrible injury. Not even considering the fact that he was just coming off Tommy John Sugery in the same arm. It seems possible their related, but I doubt it.

I hope he can get better and still pitch. From what I've read he's a real nice guy. I wish him luck.

Lip Man 1
07-30-2005, 02:55 AM
It was the exact same thing that I personally saw in the second game of the 1983 season when the Sox were in Texas. It was Sox pitcher Jim Kern who threw the ball back to the screen then crumpled on to the mound in agony.

Lip

Banix12
07-30-2005, 03:05 AM
I never saw the event you're talking about, but I would assume yes.

His arm apparently broke when he threw. Snapped.

Such a horrible injury. Not even considering the fact that he was just coming off Tommy John Sugery in the same arm. It seems possible their related, but I doubt it.

I hope he can get better and still pitch. From what I've read he's a real nice guy. I wish him luck.

The Tony Saunders (I'm pretty sure that was his name) incident I believe happened in Tampa around 1999 or 2000 I believe. he threw a pitch and I beleive it was his forearm which snapped in half. it was pretty gruesome. What made it worse was after a long rehabiliation he was pitching in a AAA assignment, just about to be recalled when his forearm snapped again in what seemed like an exact copy of the original incident.

He retired after that and he didn't pick up a ball again professionally until this year, spring training when he attempted a comeback with Baltimore.

BigHurtRules
07-30-2005, 09:15 AM
hey did anyone see that video of what happened to that 1 atlanta pitcher, where his arm just snapped

It was disgusting.

harwar
07-30-2005, 10:59 AM
You have to feel for the guy after what he's already been through.
This will be an extreme test of character for the young man.
Apart from feeling really bad for the guy,it wasn't hard to watch.
Not like when guys snap their ankles and the foot is at a 90 degree angle from where it should be.

Clembasbal
07-30-2005, 12:27 PM
Painful to watch, feel for the guy.

This usually happens to lefthanders though with Saunders and Tom Browing, back in the day, and I know somebody else had it happen to them too...and that person was lefthanded.

sthbndsox
07-30-2005, 12:30 PM
Yea, when you're watching the video you can hear it snap. Ouch.

Lip Man 1
07-30-2005, 01:13 PM
Dave Dravecky in Montreal come to mind?

Lip

silenceofthehawk
07-30-2005, 01:35 PM
wow, poor guy.