PDA

View Full Version : Bigbie on the move again. From Os to Rockies to BoSox

rowand33
07-30-2005, 12:26 AM
From rotoworld.com:

According to the Providence Journal, Larry Bigbie will be sent from Colorado to Boston for catcher Kelly Shoppach and Rule-5 outfielder Adam Stern.
As a temporary replacement for Trot Nixon and then a reserve outfielder, we suppose Bigbie wouldn't be so bad. Still, just like with the Tony Graffanino acquisition, it's disappointing that Boston can't do better. If the Red Sox want to go back to the World Series, they shouldn't be settling for mediocrities. Shoppach would be a nice pickup for the Rockies. It's hard to imagine a better situation for him, as he could start immediately and Coors Field would help with the breaking balls he has difficulty making contact with. The Rockies are likely looking at Stern as a long-term reserve. Jul. 30 - 1:18 am et

http://www.projo.com/redsox/content/projo_20050730_30trade.2277485a.html

oooook....

weird day in this guy's life, huh?

Mr. White Sox
07-30-2005, 01:24 AM
Well, looks like the Manny trade is completely off then (Shoppach was offered to TB in that trade) unless they have something else in mind. I doubt it though.

This has "emergency trade" written all over it, considering they're giving a hi-level prospect and a guy that just got to the bigs for a .250 OF with upside. Maybe Nixon is out for longer than we think, or Theo undervalues Shoppach. Or he really likes Bigbie. :?:

ChiWhiteSox1337
07-30-2005, 01:37 AM
I think Bigbie was included in the rumors when the O's were after Burnett. Perhaps Bigbie could be involved in a package from the Red Sox to get AJ Burnett this weekend. That'd be crazy to be traded to 3 different teams in less than 2 days.

Banix12
07-30-2005, 01:41 AM
I read the article and I'm trying to make sense of it.

I thought the Red Sox were really high on Kelly Shoppach and he was to be rumored to be included in the Manny 3 team trade. Why trade your best catching prospect and an outfielder to boot for Larry Bigbie. I know that he's blocked from coming to the majors but i'd think he's a little more valuable than that.

How come Larry Bigbie is all of a sudden so popular? Is he that much better than Byrnes that the Red Sox would rather have him? The only thing Bigbie seems to have over Byrnes is he is cheaper and a little younger.

It's nice to see a local boy from NW Indiana do well but this is rediculous.

rowand33
07-30-2005, 02:49 PM
apparently this deal is off now.

According to the Boston Globe, the deal sending Larry Bigbie to Boston for Kelly Shoppach and Adam Stern is off.
Shoppach is one of the players that supposedly was going to Tampa Bay in the Manny Ramirez trade, so perhaps something is happening there. There's also been speculation that Shoppach could be sent to Seattle in a deal. The Red Sox should be trying to do better than Bigbie anyway. Jul. 30 - 3:11 pm et
Source: Boston Globe (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2005/07/30/bigbie_to_boston_appears_to_be_off/)

mdep524
07-30-2005, 03:23 PM
Still, just like with the Tony Graffanino acquisition, it's disappointing that Boston can't do better. If the Red Sox want to go back to the World Series, they shouldn't be settling for mediocrities. :whiner:

ChiSoxRowand
07-30-2005, 03:57 PM
apparently this deal is off now.

According to the Boston Globe, the deal sending Larry Bigbie to Boston for Kelly Shoppach and Adam Stern is off.
Shoppach is one of the players that supposedly was going to Tampa Bay in the Manny Ramirez trade, so perhaps something is happening there. There's also been speculation that Shoppach could be sent to Seattle in a deal. The Red Sox should be trying to do better than Bigbie anyway. Jul. 30 - 3:11 pm et
Source: Boston Globe (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2005/07/30/bigbie_to_boston_appears_to_be_off/)

Randy Winn got scratched from the lineup today, so I can see him going to Boston. Seattle is also thin at catcher, altough they did draft Jeff Clement.

hose
07-30-2005, 04:01 PM
Stern hit his first homer at the Cell last week. A lot of upside for this guy.

Ol' No. 2
07-30-2005, 04:02 PM
Randy Winn got scratched from the lineup today, so I can see him going to Boston. Seattle is also thin at catcher, altough they did draft Jeff Clement.Actually, the M's are really high on Rene Rivera.

Foulke You
07-31-2005, 03:39 PM
I wonder how the O's feel about Bigbie being traded back to the AL East and to the division leader and team they are chasing no less.

Joosh
07-31-2005, 03:43 PM
I wonder how the O's feel about Bigbie being traded back to the AL East and to the division leader and team they are chasing no less.

The Bigbie trade to teh r0x0rs BoSawx Never happened.

Foulke You
07-31-2005, 04:23 PM
The Bigbie trade to teh r0x0rs BoSawx Never happened.
Ah, thanks for the clarification. So many trades and trade rumors...hard to keep track of what actually happened.:o: