PDA

View Full Version : First place after 100 games for the 12th time

Bisco Stu
07-30-2005, 12:11 AM
in franchise history. If we hang on to first/settle for the wild card, it's our 8th postseason appearance.

CubsfansareDRUNK
07-30-2005, 12:14 AM
cool

MIgrenade
07-30-2005, 12:14 AM
104 years of existence and only 8 postseason appearences. That's not real good. I'm just happy 2 will be within 5 years of eachother.

chisoxfanatic
07-30-2005, 12:15 AM
Just a tad bit of an off-base question...

How many other Sox teams have led the entire season, like this team is looking to do?

Madvora
07-30-2005, 12:15 AM
If we lose enough games to take the wild card, then I assure you we will be eliminated in the first round.

I'm very proud of the team this year and it's the type that I've been hoping for ever since I saw the 2002 Angels, then again when I saw the 2003 Marlins.

Thank God that we got Ozzie, because I'm positive that it was his influence that got KW to change this team up to what it should be.

Madvora
07-30-2005, 12:18 AM
cool
Nice picture of dioxy ribonucleic acid!
- by the way, how do you get "DNA" out of that?

Chips
07-30-2005, 12:19 AM
in franchise history. If we hang on to first/settle for the wild card, it's our 8th postseason appearance.

Teal?

The Dude
07-30-2005, 12:19 AM

It's amazing how we're not even in double digits. Oh well, thats history for ya.

CubsfansareDRUNK
07-30-2005, 12:20 AM

???????????????????????????????????????

Chips
07-30-2005, 12:23 AM
Were the only franchise thats been around since 1901 not to see back to back playoff seasons. Would have been nice to get some pennants in the old days finishing second fiddle to the Yanks all the time.

CubsfansareDRUNK
07-30-2005, 12:24 AM
Madvora: I just Googled DNA :tongue:

and for the record, you're the first person to catch that :cool:
(or at least say anything about it)

Palehose13
07-30-2005, 12:43 AM

*sigh*
First, it is Deoxyribonucleic acid

D - deoxyribose ( sugar)
N - Nucleic
A - acid

as opposed to RNA, ribonucleic acid.

:cool:

TornLabrum
07-30-2005, 12:43 AM

It's actually deoxyribonucleic acid, as opposed to ribonucleic acid (RNA).

chisoxfanatic
07-30-2005, 12:46 AM
You guys are ALL wrong...DNA stands for:

Dye 'N' Aaron

:tongue:

kingpin_rcs
07-30-2005, 12:52 AM
Is this going to be on the test?

chisoxfanatic
07-30-2005, 12:56 AM

I won't put it on MY tests...I'm a MATH teacher. :cool:

Palehose13
07-30-2005, 12:57 AM

Yes, and you need to correctly pair: Adenine, Guanine, Cytosine, and Thymine.

Lip Man 1
07-30-2005, 01:08 AM
Chips:

Technically that's not exactly true. The Sox won the Western Division in 1993 and were leading the Central at the time of the labor impasse in 1994. It goes into the record books as a first place finish so that would be two in a row.

Lip

SoxSpeed22
07-30-2005, 01:11 AM
Chips:

Technically that's not exactly true. The Sox won the Western Division in 1993 and were leading the Central at the time of the labor impasse in 1994. It goes into the record books as a first place finish so that would be two in a row.

LipUh, still doesn't mean a postseason apperance.

Lip Man 1
07-30-2005, 01:18 AM
The comment was made about 'consecutive' playoff appearances. Had there been a post season in 94 the Sox would have been in.

I do agree though with the comment about eight post season appearances in over 100 years being awful. It is....that's what happens when you have bad ownership for 100 years...it all starts at the top.

Lip

chisoxfanatic
07-30-2005, 01:20 AM
Not to worry...This will be the start of 10+ consecutive playoff appearances...We're going Atlanta Braves style here with more hardware to our name..

SoxSpeed22
07-30-2005, 01:58 AM
Not to worry...This will be the start of 10+ consecutive playoff appearances...We're going Atlanta Braves style here with more hardware to our name..Assuming, of course, all our starting pitchers don't get hurt or are never the same like years before this.
2000, a few torn labrums and bad trades later, we're finally caught up now.
1994, the team falls apart due to free agency and trades.
1983, injuries and underacheiving set us back.
Don Cooper and Kenny Williams might make things different.
EDIT: should make things different

MisterB
07-30-2005, 02:12 AM
Not to worry...This will be the start of 10+ consecutive playoff appearances...We're going Atlanta Braves style here with more hardware to our name..

Do we have a deeppink police around here? :D:

johnnyg83
07-30-2005, 04:14 AM
I'd let the Royals win the division for the next 15 years if we could win the series this year.

bunnybrief
07-30-2005, 08:05 AM
I'd let the Royals win the division for the next 15 years if we could win the series this year.

No way!

TornLabrum
07-30-2005, 08:16 AM
The comment was made about 'consecutive' playoff appearances. Had there been a post season in 94 the Sox would have been in.

I do agree though with the comment about eight post season appearances in over 100 years being awful. It is....that's what happens when you have bad ownership for 100 years...it all starts at the top.

Lip

Since the Sox had a one game lead with more than one and a half months left in the '94 season, there is no guarantee that the Sox would have been in the playoffs.

TornLabrum
07-30-2005, 08:17 AM

I hate this kind of loser mentality.

Realist
07-30-2005, 08:23 AM

That's not a loser mentality. That's living in the NOW. As in - "Let's win this thing NOW and not worry about the future."

If someone could gurantee me that the Sox will win the whole shabang this year and the Royals win the division for the next 15 years, I'm all over it like a hobo on a ham sammich.

There's always the wild card. :wink:

samram
07-30-2005, 08:28 AM

The post you wrote before this one said there was no guarantee the Sox would have been in the playoffs in 1994. That must be a different type of loser mentality.:D:

TornLabrum
07-30-2005, 08:34 AM
No, that's a statement of fact. The 1994 season would not have ended on August 12 had it not been for the strike. Cleveland was closing. The Royals were only two games behind them. The AL Central was up for grabs, so no, there weren't any guarantees.

What is a loser mentality is the whole idea of thinking that we are somehow destined for only one World Series every two decades or so. Do they think like that in New York or Boston (for example)? Those fans DEMAND contenders every year and are merciless on ownership if they don't produce.

Now, in most respects I don't want Sox fans to behave like those fans, but this whole "Let me see one World Series win in my lifetime" attitude is a lot of ********. I want more than one world championship. I want a ****ing dynasty, and I'll tell you why. We've put up with second-class teams since 1960. We've had one World Series appearance since 1919. We deserve a ****ing dynasty and to demand anything less is the sign of a typical Chicago loser.

doogiec
07-30-2005, 08:58 AM
Just a tad bit of an off-base question...

How many other Sox teams have led the entire season, like this team is looking to do?

I just did the research, the answer is zero.

Lip Man 1
07-30-2005, 01:06 PM
Actually Hal the Royals were four out when the season ended. And like the 2005 Sox the 1994 Sox had a deep pitching staff led by four excellent starters. They weren't going to go into any long losing streaks. They may not have won the division but they would have taken the Wild Card and a playoff appearance.

Lip

Brian26
07-30-2005, 01:19 PM

Lip

However- I don't 1994 is included when people talk about the Atlanta Braves streak on division titles...I don't think they were leading when the strike happened (I think the Expos had the lead in the NL East). So, I always assumed the 1994 final standings didn't count.

SpammySosa
07-30-2005, 07:04 PM
What is a loser mentality is the whole idea of thinking that we are somehow destined for only one World Series every two decades or so. Do they think like that in New York or Boston (for example)? Those fans DEMAND contenders every year and are merciless on ownership if they don't produce.

Now, in most respects I don't want Sox fans to behave like those fans, but this whole "Let me see one World Series win in my lifetime" attitude is a lot of ********. I want more than one world championship. I want a ****ing dynasty, and I'll tell you why. We've put up with second-class teams since 1960. We've had one World Series appearance since 1919. We deserve a ****ing dynasty and to demand anything less is the sign of a typical Chicago loser.

POTY(Post Of The Year)!

Lip Man 1
07-31-2005, 01:44 AM
Brian:

In the White Sox media guide under 'season recaps' when you get to 1994 it has White Sox - 1st place. (pg. 303)

Take it for whatever it's worth.

Lip

Lip Man 1
07-31-2005, 01:46 AM
Hal:

All good points, now perhaps you can figure out a way to make ownership think like this!

Lip

TornLabrum
07-31-2005, 01:48 AM
Hal:

All good points, now perhaps you can figure out a way to make ownership think like this!

Lip

Unfortunately the highest person in the Sox food chain that I have ever met is Brooks Boyer.

chisoxfanatic
07-31-2005, 01:54 AM
Unfortunately the highest person in the Sox food chain that I have ever met is Brooks Boyer.

Will Brooks attend the Core of the Core patio party?

TornLabrum
07-31-2005, 01:57 AM
Will Brooks attend the Core of the Core patio party?

I don't know. I'd kind of hope that either he or Scott Reifert would stop by just for a minute to say hi since Reifert came up with the idea and Brooks ran with it.

DumpJerry
07-31-2005, 11:53 AM
Look, we need two WS titles in a row to silence the Flub crowd. I can already hear them this November telling me how "lucky" (ESPN's spin on the Sox' season) the Sox were to win the WS. If we do two in a row, that will shut 'em up. I really like the idea of 10 in a row. Really like it.....