PDA

View Full Version : El Duque: 3-1 in "Big Games"

DoggPhood
07-29-2005, 10:43 PM
looking at el duque's season log, i would say he's pitched in 4 "big games"

two early on against the twins
then against boston and now baltimore

in those 4 starts, he pitched at least 7, 6, 6.2 and 6 innings and allowed only 5 runs and 4 walks

dude'll be huge in the playoffs :gulp:

i call tonight's game a big game because we were sorta in a funk and baltimore has an insane offense and it was on the road in front of a full house

for the most part, the rest of his season was against a bunch of teams like KC, colorado, arizona, cleveland, detroit, tampa, toronto

JB98
07-29-2005, 10:47 PM
looking at el duque's season log, i would say he's pitched in 4 "big games"

two early on against the twins
then against boston and now baltimore

in those 4 starts, he pitched at least 7, 6, 6.2 and 6 innings and allowed only 5 runs and 4 walks

dude'll be huge in the playoffs :gulp:

i call tonight's game a big game because we were sorta in a funk and baltimore has an insane offense and it was on the road in front of a full house

for the most part, the rest of his season was against a bunch of teams like KC, colorado, arizona, cleveland, detroit, tampa, toronto

Ask any Yankee fan. They'll tell you Duque is money when it matters most. He doesn't run from the spotlight. He relishes it.

rowand33
07-29-2005, 10:49 PM
I've complained about the inconsistency of El Duque in the past, but it's really hard to complain about a guy who's 8-3.

As long as he stays healthy, I think he'll be great for us in the playoffs

elrod
07-29-2005, 10:55 PM
As I said in another thread, just watch him against Sosa. Sammy's been swinging the ball better lately and Duque struck him out in big situations twice.

TornLabrum
07-29-2005, 10:58 PM
As I said in another thread, just watch him against Sosa. Sammy's been swinging the ball better lately and Duque struck him out in big situations twice.

I think you just identified Sammy's problem. Maybe he should try swinging a bat instead! :D:

MIgrenade
07-29-2005, 11:02 PM
Ask any Yankee fan. They'll tell you Duque is money when it matters most. He doesn't run from the spotlight. He relishes it.

There's a reason the Yankees want him back, and it's the same reason the Sox have to keep him.

Chips
07-29-2005, 11:05 PM
There's a reason the Yankees want him back, and it's the same reason the Sox have to keep him.

He is definetly an important part to our rotation and he could be 4-0 in these "big games" had our offense come through last saturday.

Tragg
07-29-2005, 11:05 PM

Absolutely.

The only disagreement I might have is that I don't see tonight's game as "big". It was just a game.
Just give him plenty of rest and keep him health.

JB98
07-29-2005, 11:10 PM
Absolutely.

The only disagreement I might have is that I don't see tonight's game as "big". It was just a game.
Just give him plenty of rest and keep him health.

Anytime you've dropped a couple games in a row and looked bad in doing so, I think it's important to get a win. Will we player bigger games this year before all is said and done? Absolutely. However, I would argue that we needed tonight's game after that crummy performance in Kansas City.

chisoxfanatic
07-29-2005, 11:14 PM

He did that all the time for the Cubs as well...He ALWAYS strikes out when it really counts. That's why his last name is an acronym for Struck Out Swinging Again. Coupled with the loss of the juice, Sosa won't do much of anything against our pitching.

Tragg
07-29-2005, 11:18 PM
Anytime you've dropped a couple games in a row and looked bad in doing so, I think it's important to get a win. Will we player bigger games this year before all is said and done? Absolutely. However, I would argue that we needed tonight's game after that crummy performance in Kansas City.

Had we lost tonight, then I certainly would have termed tomorrow's game big, as we'd have needed it to avoid our first 4 game skid. Glad we won tonight. And we need to hammer this team - they've been playing like the worst team in the league.

JB98
07-29-2005, 11:31 PM
Had we lost tonight, then I certainly would have termed tomorrow's game big, as we'd have needed it to avoid our first 4 game skid. Glad we won tonight. And we need to hammer this team - they've been playing like the worst team in the league.

Baltimore is back to .500. That's a long way down from where they were. They were the toast of the league in April. I agree; we need to kick their ass. We should get some help from Boston this weekend because the Twins are struggling. If we play well, we have a strong chance to reduce that magic number a little further.

soxjim
07-29-2005, 11:44 PM
This is about the 3rd time he has put an end to a SOX losing streak. Does anyone know his record against the AL East? since we have a lot of game against them in August.

milrtyme28
07-30-2005, 12:10 AM
the game was big enough - el duque filled the role of stopper well tonight! Also, there were over 45000 fans at this game.

slobes
07-30-2005, 12:14 AM
We don't need Burnett, Hernandez is 8-3, not bad at all.

elrod
07-30-2005, 12:15 AM
I think you just identified Sammy's problem. Maybe he should try swinging a bat instead! :D:

Sorry, I've been drinking a bit too much this evening. :wink:

:gulp:

elrod
07-30-2005, 12:17 AM
This game was big because there was a real chance we could go on a 4 game losing streak. After Buehrle and Garland losing in KC it didn't look good having the Cubans up against Bedard and Cabrera. I thought this would be the first 4 game skid. Instead, El Duque came up huge.

bobwsx
07-30-2005, 07:21 AM
We don't need Burnett, Hernandez is 8-3, not bad at all. I agree get Wagner or a bat!