PDA

View Full Version : *Official* The Duque is back Postgame Thread

Joosh
07-29-2005, 10:07 PM
Good Pitching, Good Bats.

:bandance:

pczarapa
07-29-2005, 10:09 PM
It's nice to have a game like that. Politte and Marte pitched well, and Carl, Iguchi, Konerko, and AJ brought their bats. I feel better now.

whitesoxfan
a great win today. El Duque was on it again tonight and Paulie and Carl carried the offense.

Magic # down to 49.

rowand33
fantastic game. awesome job by the pitching and the offense tonight.

Now, let's announce a titantic trade on the post game show.

RadioheadRocks
07-29-2005, 10:10 PM
... let the HAPPY DANCE begin!!!

:supernana: :bandance: :supernana: :bandance: :supernana: :bandance: :supernana: :bandance: :supernana:

Stroker Ace
07-29-2005, 10:11 PM
SOX WIN!!! YESSSSS!!!!!

Joosh
07-29-2005, 10:11 PM
I'm glad to see Hernandez can go out there and pitch well. I still say an excellent pick-up by KW!

:KW
We don't need no stinkin Starters!

elrod
07-29-2005, 10:12 PM
Two sharp starts against good hitting AL East teams in a row. El Duque is indeed back. Now let's see if Contreras can keep his momentum from the Red Sox series going.

Stroker Ace
07-29-2005, 10:12 PM
Great seeing El Duque pitch great. Hope the injury troubles are over. Now don't let up.

TornLabrum
07-29-2005, 10:16 PM
Everybody sing!

El Duque's back
And he's gonna kick some *** now!
Hey now! Hey now!
El Duque's back!

UofCSoxFan
07-29-2005, 10:19 PM
Its games like these that make me say....get me a relief pitcher and a left handed bat off the bench..........screw burnett

12.5 up...2nd place team just lost their best player for a month......good to be a sox fan.

MIgrenade
07-29-2005, 10:20 PM
Very nice night.

elrod
07-29-2005, 10:20 PM
Watching El Duque pitch to Sosa was a thing of beauty. Those moments gave us a clue to how he would be in the playoffs.

The Dude
07-29-2005, 10:21 PM
Somewhere, ThinWhiteDuque is saying that the two run jack by Carl "I'm sorry, but I cant stand" Everett doesnt count because we were already up in the game! :cool:
Damn Carl and all those meaningless RBI's he produces

Great game by the Sox!

Lip Man 1
07-29-2005, 10:26 PM
Very nice win considering all the turmoil today.

Lip

winning ugly 72
07-29-2005, 10:28 PM
great win all around.

billnahorodny
07-29-2005, 10:32 PM
Had a softball game tonight..came home looking forward to watching the game on my own personal tape delay. WCIU...not WGN!!!! No game...just a bunch of crappy WB sitcoms!!! Oh well...great win anyway!

SoxSpeed22
07-29-2005, 10:33 PM
Felt like we haven't won in forever. Necessary off-day means a win and underrated relief by Pollite, Marte and for some inexplicible reason, Vizcaino.
:elduque:"Bite me Burnett!"

rowand33
07-29-2005, 10:43 PM
some caller on the post game show said Borchard is worth another look...

JB98
07-29-2005, 10:55 PM
some caller on the post game show said Borchard is worth another look...

Another look for what? Water boy?

elrod
07-29-2005, 10:57 PM
I was perplexed at the Vizcaino move too. Why not let Marte finish it. In fact, I was quite impressed with Marte's overall outing. That's two solid games in a row since his poor Red Sox game. If he's finally back in a groove then our bullpen is set. Marte, Cotts, Pollitte and Hermanson - with Jenks and Vizcaino if needed. Not bad at all.

TornLabrum
07-29-2005, 11:00 PM
I was perplexed at the Vizcaino move too. Why not let Marte finish it. In fact, I was quite impressed with Marte's overall outing. That's two solid games in a row since his poor Red Sox game. If he's finally back in a groove then our bullpen is set. Marte, Cotts, Pollitte and Hermanson - with Jenks and Vizcaino if needed. Not bad at all.

Maybe after Wednesday's game, he wanted to show Vizcaino that he still has confidence in him.

JB98
07-29-2005, 11:02 PM

If we could count on Hermanson to be healthy, we'd be OK. Unfortunately, we cannot.

johnnyg83
07-29-2005, 11:04 PM
Very nice win, indeed.

If El Duque can stay healthy, Contreras to spot relief in the playoffs. we'd be tough to beat in a 5 or 7 game series.

The Dude
07-29-2005, 11:05 PM
Maybe after Wednesday's game, he wanted to show Vizcaino that he still has confidence in him.

I dont fault Vizz for Wednesday's game at all. He had no business being in there after pitching in the previous few games and that was supposed to be his day off. But overall, I think it's obvious that hes the weakest in the pen and should only be used for mop up.

chisoxfanatic
07-29-2005, 11:06 PM
Had a softball game tonight..came home looking forward to watching the game on my own personal tape delay. WCIU...not WGN!!!! No game...just a bunch of crappy WB sitcoms!!! Oh well...great win anyway!

Hahaha! I've gotten in the practice of turning on CSN. Fortunately, I flipped to WCIU two minutes before the opening pitch, or I would've been ticked off, since I'd have already missed something for my game report tonight! You're not alone in that department. :cool:

I give major props to El Duque tonight for another quality outing. He now has 8 victories, which is more than Prior AND Wood. Yea, the Cubs pitching staff is REALLY better than our's!

I don't like the set-up of this series (night/day/night/day), but I'll take every win as they come...GO SOX!

Chips
07-29-2005, 11:11 PM
Fanatastic game all around. El Duque is 8-3. You gotta love it.

cwsfannick
07-29-2005, 11:11 PM
It good to see that El Duque continues to come up big for us. It is good to see that Sammy hasn't changed much. Still striking out with men in scoring position.

On a personal note my brother and his family were at the game tonight and his daughter was able to meet and take a picture with Tadahito and then the Orioles asked her if she wanted to take a position on the field before 1st pitch and get to meet and get an autograph from the Oriole player at that position. Unfornately, she got stage fright and declined there offer.

SomebodyToldMe
07-29-2005, 11:51 PM
Carl mocking Sosa's stance was a thing of beauty.

milrtyme28
07-30-2005, 12:06 AM
nice win tonight - hopefully the defensive miscues and frustrating ball were left behind in KC.

:)

slobes
07-30-2005, 12:10 AM
Good job El Duque

johnnyg83
07-30-2005, 12:20 AM
Carl mocking Sosa's stance was a thing of beauty.

I didn;t see this. What happened?

chisoxfanatic
07-30-2005, 12:22 AM
I didn;t see this. What happened?

Everett backed off of his usual toe-tapping, bat-chopping stance and went to the Sosaesque stance for one plate appearance.

krohnjw
07-30-2005, 12:40 AM
Having been at the game I can say that Hernandez looked pretty good. I was a bit worries at times but Slammin sammy K'd a few times to end the threats :D:

All in all a great game. The Baltimore fans where I was were ripping into sammy and definitely do not give him the love and slack the "cub fans" did. I saw a good number of sox fans too. A great win tonight :cool:

balke
07-30-2005, 12:41 AM
Favorite and quite telling part of the game: Podsednik walks. Podsednik advances to 2nd on a passed ball. Podsednik steals 3rd (15 for 15). Carl Everett (doing great from the right side of the plate) hits a sac fly to Center field, scoring Podsednik.

Our 5th or 4th starter had a lot of control, threw a great game. A few of the hits against him were the result of an infield shift leaving a gaping hole where Iguchi normally is.

Marte came in and got the job done, as Politte threw a great 1 2/3 innings.

This isn't a team that needs a huge overhaul. That is a great lineup the Sox faced tonight, with a healthy Javy Lopez back in the catcher spot. The pitching is/was great. Every position is filled by someone good IMO. I don't see where a Huff plays into this game. We didn't need a Manny, and haven't needed one all season. After a minor skid, we had someone outside of the big 3 pitch great yet again, so why do we need a new #4 starter?

The deadline approaches. We have a great team. Baez, Guardado, or Schmidt would be great. I just think outside of that, wait til the waiver wire deals come around.

JUribe1989
07-30-2005, 12:42 AM
Everett backed off of his usual toe-tapping, bat-chopping stance and went to the Sosaesque stance for one plate appearance.

Do you know what inning Everett did that in?

SOX ADDICT '73
07-30-2005, 01:01 AM
The deadline approaches. We have a great team. Baez, Guardado, or Schmidt would be great. I just think outside of that, wait til the waiver wire deals come around.
They can keep Schmidt, Burnett, Vizquel, Huff, Ramirez, and Griffey. Leave the rotation and starting lineup alone. Baez or Guardado would be nice, but all I want for Christmas is Billy Wagner.

balke
07-30-2005, 01:13 AM
They can keep Schmidt, Burnett, Vizquel, Huff, Ramirez, and Griffey. Leave the rotation and starting lineup alone. Baez or Guardado would be nice, but all I want for Christmas is Billy Wagner.

Totally agree. I'm just not keen on the asking price, and it seems 100% unlikely due to the Phils winning ways as of late. Hopefully he's just a waiver date away from sporting a black jersey.

TheOldRoman
07-30-2005, 01:15 AM
I want Wagner too, but get real. We NEED a bat. If Carl is our full time DH, we are in trouble. With him starting everyday, our bench consists of Willie, Timo, Gload, Widger, and Ozuna. Does that sound good to you? Griffey would cure all of our problems. He is the left handed power hitter we have needed forever, and he will put Carl on the bench. He could DH most of the time, and also play CF and RF a time or two a week. Would you rather have Willie pinch hitting or Carl? Ozuna pinch hitting or Rowand?

Carl is extremely valuable as a clutch switch hitting power hitter coming off the bench late in the game. Any team would kill to have a Carl on their bench late in close games. Carl is much more valuable in that position than as a starter. Also, Griffey would help us against righties. We are HORRIBLE against right handed pitchers. Who would we face in the playoffs? Schilling, Clement, Colon, etc. We need a nother stick. I agree that our pitching is great, but runs are a lot harder to come by in the playoffs.

voodoochile
07-30-2005, 01:26 AM
Very nice win considering all the turmoil today.

Lip

I completely agree. Sox lose the best player in team history and the man who was a huge part of breaking open the current lead possibly forever and they respond by beating the living snot out of a tough WC caliber opponent.

Meanwhile the Twinkies lose their team leader for a month so they roll over for the Red Sox...

:winner

:twinslose

:supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :bandance:

Foulke You
07-30-2005, 03:37 AM
Carl's right handed batting stance has never featured his bat waiving and toe tapping that he does when batting left handed. It is usually steady and quiet. However, I did notice (Hawk mentioned it briefly too) that his right handed stance was set up a bit differently as he had his arms farther out towards home plate than normal but then pulled it back as the pitch was about to come. I didn't take this as a shot at Sammy Sosa, just that Carl was trying something new. He did this in every right handed at bat tonight and it seemed to work as he hit a HR today and had 3 RBIs.

I think this was a big statement game for Everett. It kind've said "hey, we'll be alright with good ol' me in the DH spot".

:everett:
"Just relax everyone and hop on board the Carl Everett train...last stop is the 2005 World Series"

DaleJRFan
07-30-2005, 04:05 AM
...just that Carl was trying something new. He did this in every right handed at bat tonight and it seemed to work as he hit a HR today and had 3 RBIs.

His homerun came off of Todd Williams, whom throws righthanded... meaning, Carl was batting lefthanded when he hit the dinger today. Carl has exactly no power hitting righthanded, but seemingly is a better contact hitter (going to rightcenter), from what I have seen of him batting right handed, anyway.

It also seemed like he was standing a bit more off of the plate from the right side today. He usually is all over the dish. I think he was just tinkering with his swing a little bit, since he won't be platooned anymore with Hurt being down...

How screwed would the Sox be without Everett?? I don't even want to ponder the concept!

TornLabrum
07-30-2005, 06:57 AM
I completely agree. Sox lose the best player in team history and the man who was a huge part of breaking open the current lead possibly forever and they respond by beating the living snot out of a tough WC caliber opponent.

Meanwhile the Twinkies lose their team leader for a month so they roll over for the Red Sox...

:winner

:twinslose

:supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :bandance:

I predict that if we take this series, the O's will be added to the list of sub-.500 teams the Sox have beaten. Never mind the fact that we'd be the team to put them there.

eastchicagosoxfan
07-30-2005, 07:38 AM
With last night's action, the magic number has dropped to below 50, and it's still July. A great road win, but the Sox can't falter today or tomorrow, as they did against K.C. and Detroit. They have to continue to play error-free ball. And no walks to the opposition.:supernana: :supernana: :gulp: :gulp:

SpringfldFan
07-30-2005, 08:44 AM
I want Wagner too, but get real. We NEED a bat. If Carl is our full time DH, we are in trouble. With him starting everyday, our bench consists of Willie, Timo, Gload, Widger, and Ozuna. Does that sound good to you? Griffey would cure all of our problems. He is the left handed power hitter we have needed forever, and he will put Carl on the bench. He could DH most of the time, and also play CF and RF a time or two a week. Would you rather have Willie pinch hitting or Carl? Ozuna pinch hitting or Rowand?

Carl is extremely valuable as a clutch switch hitting power hitter coming off the bench late in the game. Any team would kill to have a Carl on their bench late in close games. Carl is much more valuable in that position than as a starter. Also, Griffey would help us against righties. We are HORRIBLE against right handed pitchers. Who would we face in the playoffs? Schilling, Clement, Colon, etc. We need a nother stick. I agree that our pitching is great, but runs are a lot harder to come by in the playoffs.

I think Joe Borchard deserves another look.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-30-2005, 08:56 AM
I predict that if we take this series, the O's will be added to the list of sub-.500 teams the Sox have beaten. Never mind the fact that we'd be the team to put them there.

:cubune
"SOX NEVER BEAT ANYBODY GOOD!"

Why the Sox suck for Losing Gm. 1 to Boston
by Dan McGrath

:wink:

ode to veeck
07-30-2005, 09:29 AM
I give major props to El Duque tonight for another quality outing. He now has 8 victories, which is more than Prior AND Wood.

Profound.
POTW material.

Big win over the Big O machine, who is not nearly as dead as the ESPN/NY/Boston press mafia would like everyone to believe. They just picked up Eric Byrnes from the Rockies overnight as well.

SSN721
07-30-2005, 10:04 AM
It was a good boost after the news of Frank. So glad they could come out with a win today. Now lets take the series. Props to El Duque he was in fine form. :smile:

Cowhead418
07-30-2005, 11:16 AM
With Baltimore's supposedly good offense, our supposedly weak offense, and a 2.11 ERA starter against a 4.80 ERA starter, it looked as if we would lose this game. I think we stole a victory here! On a side note, when Dye struck out in the 8th inning, Hawk said "He Gone". That was the first time I've heard him say that for one of our batters.