PDA

View Full Version : Sox interested in Manny...

ukigdog
07-29-2005, 09:00 PM
Who would the sox offer for him??

Rotoworld:

The Providence Journal's Sean McAdam says there are five teams involved in talks with the Red Sox regarding Manny Ramirez and that the three-team trade with the Mets and Rays is the least likely scenario right now.
McAdam said two other NL clubs and two AL clubs, one the White Sox, are looking at Ramirez. We're guessing the Cubs and maybe the Dodgers are the NL clubs. The Angels would make sense as the other AL team. Jul. 29 - 9:54 pm et

HawkDJ
07-29-2005, 09:02 PM
Maybe we're just looking to be a part of a 3-way. I think we've been involved in almost any rumor anyway, so why not Manny?

TheOldRoman
07-29-2005, 09:06 PM
Kenny doesn't lose anything just talking to Boston, but there is no way in hell we would make this trade.
A) Manny is making WAY too much money. The Mets might be able to pay his salary, but we can't.
B) Boston wouldn't trade Manny to someone they might have to face in the playoffs.
C) Boston will want way too much to make it reasonable for KW to do.

Foulke You
07-29-2005, 09:17 PM
Boston is not going to trade Manny. I would bet any amount of money that he will be in a BoSox uniform after July 31st.

Flight #24
07-29-2005, 09:18 PM
Kenny doesn't lose anything just talking to Boston, but there is no way in hell we would make this trade.
A) Manny is making WAY too much money. The Mets might be able to pay his salary, but we can't.
B) Boston wouldn't trade Manny to someone they might have to face in the playoffs.
C) Boston will want way too much to make it reasonable for KW to do.

FWIW, you can look at it like this: Manny makes approx $20m/yr. So after '05, you let go Paulie(9), Frank(8), and Shingo (2.5) for Manny, Gload, Jenks.

Highly unlikely because boston will a)want him out of the AL and b)want a bunnch in return, but financially I bet KW could make it work and at worst be forced to retool significantly for '06 (deal Garland or give him a 1-yr arb deal rather than resigning him.

The plus side:Sox+Manny = WS assuming we dont lose anything too major off the team (i.e. prospects to team X & BOS, players to BOS from team X, Manny to WS). No pink deep enough.

Optipessimism
07-29-2005, 09:25 PM
I agree with the post that KW might just be thinking of a 3 way deal, but I don't know who the Sox would want. Surely. Boston doesn't have any bullpen help they will give up, the Dodgers have Brozoban who I'm sure they won't deal, the Cubs have no pitching, and I doubt the Angels would want to part with either Rodriguez or Donnelly for anything.

So, the only thing that I can see making sense for us would be either trying to obtain Manny (highly unlikely), OR trying to throw in a prospect or two to block Manny from going to another team in the AL.

FoulTerritory
07-29-2005, 09:30 PM
I find this "rumor" extremely bizzare. I wonder if Rotoworld plops us in there because of the Frank thing today, putting us into the market for a DH.

But come on. Talk about out of our price range. I'd really like to buy a Bentley tomorrow too, but unfortunately, I have about 10 dollars to spend.

Its just completely irrational to think that the Sox would trade for Manny.

BeviBall!
07-29-2005, 09:31 PM
A lot of money for a DH. Can you imagine some team thinking he can play LF for them everyday?

MIgrenade
07-29-2005, 10:12 PM
Maybe we're just looking to be a part of a 3-way. I think we've been involved in almost any rumor anyway, so why not Manny?

You nailed it. The Sox would not get Manny without giving up the world so I assume we would give prospects to Boston for someone from a different team.

balke
07-29-2005, 10:17 PM
Just what we need, a LFer!

Yeah yeah Manny can DH, yadda yadda. I'd be very surprised to see Manny switch Sox. More surprised and stupified if we traded Pods for him.

Stroker Ace
07-29-2005, 10:18 PM
There is no way I want to see Man Ram on the Sox. This guy doesn't have his head in the game and hot dogs on every play.

DSpivack
07-29-2005, 10:20 PM
Manny isn't going anywhere.

samram
07-29-2005, 10:20 PM
There is no way I want to see Man Ram on the Sox. This guy doesn't have his head in the game and hot dogs on every play.

Sorry, but as a player, I would take him in a second. 150 RBI works for me anyday.

Soxzilla
07-29-2005, 10:21 PM
More surprised and stupified if we traded Pods for him.

That wouldn't happen.

If Manny is dead set on being in the field, he'd platoon DH and LF with Pods.

EDIT - Granted I know Manny is a butcher in the field, but he more than offsets that with his amazing offensive presence. And letting Pods rest on the bench between at-bats might actually be a good thing, keeping his legs fresh for when he swipes those bags.

MIgrenade
07-29-2005, 10:25 PM
That wouldn't happen.

If Manny is dead set on being in the field, he'd platoon DH and LF with Pods.

EDIT - Granted I know Manny is a butcher in the field, but he more than offsets that with his amazing offensive presence. And letting Pods rest on the bench between at-bats might actually be a good thing, keeping his legs fresh for when he swipes those bags.

Well Pods isn't that great in the field either, but he hits better against lefties so I doubt platooning would work.

This isn't going to happen anyways so I'm going to stop thinking about it.

munchman33
07-29-2005, 10:45 PM
Jerry has always said he'd be willing to open the purse strings for the right player if he felt we were close. Well, we're definately really close. And Manny is a very special player.

Madvora
07-29-2005, 11:07 PM
You don't platoon a guy like Manny Ramirez so stop thinking about it. And there's no way that the Sox would platoon Podsednik.

Soxzilla
07-29-2005, 11:40 PM
Well Pods isn't that great in the field either, but he hits better against lefties so I doubt platooning would work.

This isn't going to happen anyways so I'm going to stop thinking about it.

You read it wrong. I meant platooning them between the DH and LF positions. AKA, they would both be full-time starters, they would just switch positions every so often.

That way you aren't trotting out the worst defender every single game. I know Scotty isn't the second coming of Torii Hunter, but he isn't as bad as Manny.

balke
07-30-2005, 01:09 AM
If I were the Red Sox I'd either want Brian Anderson and possibly Mccarthy and Dye/Everett, or I'd want Podsednik to be apart of that deal so someone can take Damon's job in the offseason.

Out of those situations, I don't see us letting go of Dye, and I don't see the Red Sox wanting Everett back. It gotta be Pods they'd be after, or our top 2 prospects. This is one of the few situations 2 top prospects MIGHT be worth it. Although, Anderson has all the makings to be a star outfielder who plays amazing defense, and Mccarthy has all the makings of a great pitcher both for millions and millions cheaper. I don't think Manny would agree to DH for us full time. Anything is possible, he might like the latin connection thing we have going, and how little press we get while still being able to pay him. I would hope Kenny wouldn't give them Pods in a trade for Manny, we'd totally revert to last season.

That would be pretty cool if we had Manny in the DH spot for the playoffs with Pods and Tads in front of him.

Optipessimism
07-30-2005, 02:24 AM
If I were the Red Sox I'd either want Brian Anderson and possibly Mccarthy and Dye/Everett, or I'd want Podsednik to be apart of that deal so someone can take Damon's job in the offseason.

...which is exactly why Manny is staying in Boston. No one took on his contract for free, and no one is going to take on his contract for a price like that.

Podzilla_40
07-30-2005, 09:59 AM
I want no part of Manny. He has no heart. His fat lazy ass can go to Tampa if he doesn't want people poking into his private life. He doesn't give a damn about winning anyway, he just wants his 20 million so he can walk up the first base line once every few nights.

harwar
07-30-2005, 10:22 AM
Manny is a great hitter when hes' happy,but if he goes into his lockdown mode and won't hustle or even run to first on a grounder,hes' worse than useless.
This just shows how lucky we were to have a player of Big Franks caliber and character,on our team all these years.

Tragg
07-30-2005, 10:47 AM

Out of those situations, I don't see us letting go of Dye, and I don't see the Red Sox wanting Everett back. It gotta be Pods they'd be after, or our top 2 prospects. This is one of the few situations 2 top prospects MIGHT be worth it. Although, Anderson has all the makings to be a star outfielder who plays amazing defense, and Mccarthy has all the makings of a great pitcher both for millions and millions cheaper. I don't think Manny would agree to DH for us full time. Anything is possible, he might like the latin connection thing we have going, and how little press we get while still being able to pay him. I would hope Kenny wouldn't give them Pods in a trade for Manny, we'd totally revert to last season.

That would be pretty cool if we had Manny in the DH spot for the playoffs with Pods and Tads in front of him.

Manny would be great as a 3 month hit man. But, he's a pain in the a$$, if not an a$$hole.
It's not a mere coincidence that this year has occured on the very year when we have the first lead-off man we've had in 5 years.
You could make a solid argument that giving him up for manny is like going back to the old days of bash: ordonez and lee but no lead-off hitter. why in the world would we want to do that.

He gone
07-30-2005, 10:47 AM
Manny in left - Pods in center - Rowand can take Damons spot in center next year :cool:

I would take Manny's bat in a second, but we got pretty good team chemistry on this team and I don't think Man-Ram's BULL-SHEET is going to mix well for this club.

sthbndsox
07-30-2005, 11:36 AM
I get so tired of hearing all this... Who isnt interested in getting Manny? The guy hits 40+ homers/ year and can drive in 150. He's probably the best right handed hitter in the game. There isn't a team out there that would turn away those numbers.

mdep524
07-30-2005, 11:46 AM
I want no part of Manny. He has no heart. His fat lazy ass can go to Tampa if he doesn't want people poking into his private life. He doesn't give a damn about winning anyway, he just wants his 20 million so he can walk up the first base line once every few nights. Thank you!! I was beginning to think I was the only one who didn't want Manny. This team is built on heart, hustle, defense, attitude and chemistry. Manny is God awful in all of these categories, his glamor stats notwithstanding.

Acquiring Manny would be like telling the rest of the team, "hey, you grinders are good for talk, but we need this glamorous slugger to be the real centerpiece of this team." Not to mention the other-worldly price it would take to trade for him...plus his ridiculous salary. Excuse me while I puke. This team doesn't need Manny Ramirez.

Optipessimism
07-30-2005, 03:16 PM
Acquiring Manny would be like telling the rest of the team, "hey, you grinders are good for talk, but we need this glamorous slugger to be the real centerpiece of this team." Not to mention the other-worldly price it would take to trade for him...plus his ridiculous salary. Excuse me while I puke. This team doesn't need Manny Ramirez.

Acquiring Manny would be like telling the rest of the team, "hey, thanks for your hard work. We know you need someone to step in for Frank, so here's the best player available. This way, you don't have to go home in October until you're the only group of guys left standing."

By the way, what kind of message would JR be sending with a move like that? It says to the players, the fans, the coaches, that he's not the cheap bastard who everyone thinks he is. FA's flock to us after a move like that, IMO.

That said, it STILL is all just talk. Manny stays in Boston AT LEAST until the offseason.

Jjav829
07-30-2005, 03:20 PM
Acquiring Manny would be like telling the rest of the team, "hey, thanks for your hard work. We know you need someone to step in for Frank, so here's the best player available. This way, you don't have to go home in October until you're the only group of guys left standing."

By the way, what kind of message would JR be sending with a move like that? It says to the players, the fans, the coaches, that he's not the cheap bastard who everyone thinks he is. FA's flock to us after a move like that, IMO.

That said, it STILL is all just talk. Manny stays in Boston AT LEAST until the offseason.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

For all the talk about how bad of a teammate Manny is, the Red Sox still won the World Series last year with Manny helping lead the way. He's the best right-handed hitter in the game not named Pujols. I can't believe anyone would pass up a chance to get him, crazy antics or not.

BeviBall!
07-30-2005, 03:53 PM
And he would, most likely, respond to Ozzie & Co. The man is the best right-handed hitter in the last 7-10 years... there is no disputing that.

balke
07-30-2005, 03:57 PM
I couldn't have said it better myself.

For all the talk about how bad of a teammate Manny is, the Red Sox still won the World Series last year with Manny helping lead the way. He's the best right-handed hitter in the game not named Pujols. I can't believe anyone would pass up a chance to get him, crazy antics or not.

I would pass if it meant Pods or GOOCh. But, yeah Manny is the man. I just would hate taking a step backwards into the "HR or die trying" era.

doublem23
07-30-2005, 04:00 PM
You don't platoon a guy like Manny Ramirez so stop thinking about it. And there's no way that the Sox would platoon Podsednik.

That probably would be the worst defensive platoon ever. :cool:

Jjav829
07-30-2005, 04:05 PM
I would pass if it meant Pods or GOOCh. But, yeah Manny is the man. I just would hate taking a step backwards into the "HR or die trying" era.

How is it taking a step back? Do you remember what Frank Thomas was doing while in the lineup? Manny does all that and more. He's a complete hitter. He can hit to all fields and with power. He takes his walks. He's a truly great hitter, not just a player who swings for the fences all the time and either homers or strikes out. I don't know how we would be going back in the "HR or die trying era." There's probably no chance of Manny being traded here as I doubt the Red Sox want to help us out, and I have no idea what we would give up(we probably don't have enough), but Manny would only make this team better. We wouldn't be taking any steps backwards.

balke
07-30-2005, 04:14 PM
How is it taking a step back? Do you remember what Frank Thomas was doing while in the lineup? Manny does all that and more. He's a complete hitter. He can hit to all fields and with power. He takes his walks. He's a truly great hitter, not just a player who swings for the fences all the time and either homers or strikes out. I don't know how we would be going back in the "HR or die trying era." There's probably no chance of Manny being traded here as I doubt the Red Sox want to help us out, and I have no idea what we would give up(we probably don't have enough), but Manny would only make this team better. We wouldn't be taking any steps backwards.

How many Runs does Pods produce at the top of the order? We've flat-out won games with him at the top of the order. If he goes in a trade for Manny, Willie Harris will be leading off again. Manny will hit .300 with 15 hr's or whatever through the end of the season, but we'll never drive him home, and he'll have noone to drive home. I want no part of a postseason that features 9 hitters swinging for the fences, which is exactly what would happen if Pods leaves the lineup.

The perfect postseason team is a fast postseason teams that will manufacture runs. If Pods or Gooch leave this team, we won't manufacture jack. There will be no wild pitches, walks due to Pods being in the pitchers head, or BB's that turn into runs without a hit. There will be 3 postseason Hr's by Manny as the Sox leave the Playoffs in the first round. We've tried mashball before, no thanks.

Edit: And notice I said I want Manny, just not at the cost of the top of the order. Things are working quite nicely there without him. I'm not denying at all how good of an overall hitter Manny is, I just deny him being worth losing what this team is built on.

Jjav829
07-30-2005, 04:15 PM
How many Runs does Pods produce at the top of the order? We've flat-out won games with him at the top of the order. If he goes in a trade for Manny, Willie Harris will be leading off again. Manny will hit .300 with 15 hr's or whatever through the end of the season, but we'll never drive him home, and he'll have noone to drive home. I want no part of a postseason that features 9 hitters swinging for the fences, which is exactly what would happen if Pods leaves the lineup.

The perfect postseason team is a fast postseason teams that will manufacture runs. If Pods or Gooch leave this team, we won't manufacture jack. There will be no wild pitches, walks due to Pods being in the pitchers head, or BB's that turn into runs without a hit. There will be 3 postseason Hr's by Manny as the Sox leave the Playoffs in the first round. We've tried mashball before, no thanks.

Why would Pods be involved in the deal? The Red Sox already have a good leadoff hitter in Johnny Damon. The Red Sox would be looking to get someone with some pop in their bat. There is no way Pods would be traded in a deal for Manny. Manny would go right into the DH spot.

balke
07-30-2005, 04:18 PM
Why would Pods be involved in the deal? The Red Sox already have a good leadoff hitter in Johnny Damon. The Red Sox would be looking to get someone with some pop in their bat. There is no way Pods would be traded in a deal for Manny. Manny would go right into the DH spot.

If that's the case, go for it. If I'm Cashman, I want Pods to take Damon's place in the offseason (who's going to ask for HUGE money), and an all-star left-fielder taking Manny's place right now.

SoxyStu
07-30-2005, 04:28 PM
I'd take my chances with what we have without the Man-Ram attitude. He's such a lollygagger; I don't want him. This team has played like a TEAM. That's how we've won, that's how we'll win.

I disagree that he would respond to Ozzie. Nothing against Oz, but he only loves/cares about himself...as example from him refusing to play when Francona and his team was short-handed and needed him. Piss on him.

JUribe1989
07-30-2005, 04:29 PM
I don't see one possible way that the Sox could get Manny.

Daver
07-30-2005, 04:34 PM
I don't see one possible way that the Sox could get Manny.

All they would have to do is agree to pick up the whole sum of the rest of his contract.

Optipessimism
07-30-2005, 04:37 PM
I'd take my chances with what we have without the Man-Ram attitude. He's such a lollygagger; I don't want him. This team has played like a TEAM. That's how we've won, that's how we'll win.

I disagree that he would respond to Ozzie. Nothing against Oz, but he only loves/cares about himself...as example from him refusing to play when Francona and his team was short-handed and needed him. Piss on him.

So what, are you his mother or something? Or his shrink?

When Manny cries, are you the one who hugs him?

Are you his publicist maybe?

Or, are you just a baseball fan who believes everything that is written in the paper because the media is always right?

Francona's telling of the incident basically says he asked Manny if he needed the day off. Manny said yes, so he gave him the day off. Maybe Manny is sick of all those idiots in Beantown, who knows? Although if that is the case, I can't say I'd blame him.

If he comes to Chitown he's a DH so nobody rips up his defense. He is on a better team - yes, a better team - with a better pitching staff and still a ton of RBI opportunities, and six times a year he gets to destroy a Cubs pitching staff. And, he'd still be making his $20million. What would there be to complain about?

SoxyStu
07-30-2005, 04:44 PM
So what, are you his mother or something? Or his shrink?

When Manny cries, are you the one who hugs him?

Are you his publicist maybe?

Or, are you just a baseball fan who believes everything that is written in the paper because the media is always right?

Francona's telling of the incident basically says he asked Manny if he needed the day off. Manny said yes, so he gave him the day off. Maybe Manny is sick of all those idiots in Beantown, who knows? Although if that is the case, I can't say I'd blame him.

If he comes to Chitown he's a DH so nobody rips up his defense. He is on a better team - yes, a better team - with a better pitching staff and still a ton of RBI opportunities, and six times a year he gets to destroy a Cubs pitching staff. And, he'd still be making his $20million. What would there be to complain about?

Yep. I'm Manny's publicist. After all, I did say piss on him. Brilliant!

Obviously, if you had read my post, you'd understand that I don't want Ram because of his piss-poor attitude. He'll only screw up what we've got going here..and that's a team attitude.

You're acting like his publicist....Ya want to explain to us all why he sat in the batter's box after hitting a groundball? The camera doesn't lie, bud. Spin that.

Optipessimism
07-30-2005, 04:49 PM
Yep. I'm Manny's publicist. After all, I did say piss on him. Brilliant!

Obviously, if you had read my post, you'd understand that I don't want Ram because of his piss-poor attitude. He'll only screw up what we've got going here..and that's a team attitude.

You're acting like his publicist....Ya want to explain to us all why he sat in the batter's box after hitting a groundball? The camera doesn't lie, bud. Spin that.

So you didn't read my post then?

How do you know he has such a 'piss-poor' attitude? Isn't that the same thing we've been hearing about Thomas? Isn't that the same thing we heard about AJ?

What good things do you think BoSux fans will have to say about Carl Everett? What do you think the media there thinks about Carl?

Again, unless you personally know the man you can not just read something in the paper and accept it as the truth.

Optipessimism
07-30-2005, 04:52 PM
You want to explain to us all why he sat in the batter's box after hitting a groundball? The camera doesn't lie, bud. Spin that.

Maybe he should have kissed a baby instead...

Athletes sometimes do things that you don't like. So what? AJ throws his bat and we never hear about his 'piss-poor' attitude.

SoxyStu
07-30-2005, 05:06 PM
[QUOTE=Optipessimism]So you didn't read my post then?

How do you know he has such a 'piss-poor' attitude?

Even if the scenario happened the way you said it might have happened and Francona asked him if Ram STILL wanted the day off...shouldn't Ram's reply be "I would still like the day off, but if THE TEAM NEEDS me since Nix is hurt, put me in there..."

Nah. I still don't buy it.

SoxyStu
07-30-2005, 05:07 PM
Maybe he should have kissed a baby instead...

Athletes sometimes do things that you don't like. So what? AJ throws his bat and we never hear about his 'piss-poor' attitude.

Riiiight. Flipping your bat after a strikeout is the same as not bothering to run out a ball in fair play.

Optipessimism
07-30-2005, 05:25 PM
Riiiight. Flipping your bat after a strikeout is the same as not bothering to run out a ball in fair play.

I'm not defending that at all, and it really makes no difference anyway since he's not coming here.

But, who's to say that he is a bad guy who only cares about himself? Maybe a guy like Francona doesn't particularly get on players the way a guy like Guillen would. I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with Terry, but bad behavior can become worse if it isn't stopped right away, i.e 2004 Flubs.

Or, maybe he did it all intentionally for the sole purpose of getting out of Boston. Who knows? But I do find it strange that Manny asks to be traded, not the other way around. And I think it was the owner who said that Manny wanted out of Boston as long ago as 2002, yet nothing was done.

All I'm saying is that you can't assume to know the whole situation without being a part of any of it. I'm not saying Manny is the greatest guy in the world, and I really don't even care if he's not. I'd take a .320 BA 40 HRs 150 RBI's in the middle of my lineup any day. Besides, like I said before, he's not coming here anyway. And, if for any reason hell froze over last night and JR would actually consider taking on that contract, KW would do his own research. I guarantee that any research he would do would far exceed any lack of research some local sportswriter idiot does before he writes a column.

nedlug
07-30-2005, 05:34 PM
If that's the case, go for it. If I'm Cashman, I want Pods to take Damon's place in the offseason (who's going to ask for HUGE money), and an all-star left-fielder taking Manny's place right now.

Cashman? Do you mean Theo Epstein?

balke
07-30-2005, 05:35 PM

Yes, oops.

Tragg
07-30-2005, 06:25 PM
If he goes to the Mets he gets out of this league and goes to a team who has little chance for the playoffs anyway.
The downside of that is that it would involve HUff, whom it would nice to have here.
If he stays in Boston, there should be some clubhouse rancor to distract them somewhat.

In the middle of a pennant race, this guy asks to be traded. What a putz.

SoxyStu
07-30-2005, 06:30 PM
All I'm saying is that you can't assume to know the whole situation without being a part of any of it.

You're right...I can't. However, I can point out "speculation" after "speculation" of how Ramirez has been "accused" as a crappy team player.

He's not run out a groundball in fair play, always been accused of dogging it in left since (in his own little dreamworld, supposedly) he thinks he's good enough to play right, he's been accused of faking a sickness, he's been accused of refusing to pinch hit, he leaves his field post to jerk..err..cool off in the green monster, and he's such a badass he's got his own official website!

Are you an astronaut and have seen that the earth is round? If not, how do you really know? When do you call a spade a spade?

samram
07-30-2005, 06:39 PM

I'll bet Cashman would trade Manny to the Sox real cheap-like.:D:

As to this slim possiblity of acquiring Manny, I would take him in a second. This guy has been in the postseason in almost every year of his career, he's an absolute bitch to get out in the late innings, and he would replace Frank and then some. Furthermore, playing on the Sox would definitely take care of his privacy issues. Hell, it would take a week for the papers there to figure out that he had been traded to the Sox.

Optipessimism
07-30-2005, 06:45 PM
You're right...I can't. However, I can point out "speculation" after "speculation" of how Ramirez has been "accused" as a crappy team player.

He's not run out a groundball in fair play, always been accused of dogging it in left since (in his own little dreamworld, supposedly) he thinks he's good enough to play right, he's been accused of faking a sickness, he's been accused of refusing to pinch hit, he leaves his field post to jerk..err..cool off in the green monster, and he's such a badass he's got his own official website!

Are you an astronaut and have seen that the earth is round? If not, how do you really know? When do you call a spade a spade?

I get what you are saying, but please tell me that you honestly would not want his bat in the lineup for the postseason. If his attitude sucks, then trade him to NY for Pavano in the offseason, when their early playoff exit makes them prone to several more stupid moves.

I know nothing is going to come of this, but if it did, we would become World Series favorites.

whitesoxfan1986
07-30-2005, 06:46 PM
I could see one way Manny comes to the south side-if Boston puts him on waivers could you see the our sox picking him up?

Optipessimism
07-30-2005, 06:47 PM
I'll bet Cashman would trade Manny to the Sox real cheap-like.:D:

As to this slim possiblity of acquiring Manny, I would take him in a second. This guy has been in the postseason in almost every year of his career, he's an absolute bitch to get out in the late innings, and he would replace Frank and then some. Furthermore, playing on the Sox would definitely take care of his privacy issues. Hell, it would take a week for the papers there to figure out that he had been traded to the Sox.

Reporters are like flies. Flies are drawn to ****. Thus, any East-Coast reporter that would come to the Cell to watch Manny would be subconsciously drawn to Wrigley Field, where Manny would not be.

SoxyStu
07-30-2005, 07:00 PM
I get what you are saying, but please tell me that you honestly would not want his bat in the lineup for the postseason. If his attitude sucks, then trade him to NY for Pavano in the offseason, when their early playoff exit makes them prone to several more stupid moves.

If it was just his bat, yes, I'd totally agree with you. But he's still a person with baggage galore. AJ didn't come with as much baggage, but has been a terrific asset this year. If he can pull a tabula rasa like AJ has done (although AJ had the extra incentive per his 1 year deal to motivate the reinvention of himself after the San Fran crap), I'd love it. I'm simply not entirely sold on the fact that Manny can pull it off or has the motivation to do so.

Depending on what we'd be giving up to get Manny, I might agree with your prediction as our White Sox being W.S. favorites.

Optipessimism
07-30-2005, 07:09 PM
If it was just his bat, yes, I'd totally agree with you. But he's still a person with baggage galore. AJ didn't come with as much baggage, but has been a terrific asset this year. If he can pull a tabula rasa like AJ has done (although AJ had the extra incentive per his 1 year deal to motivate the reinvention of himself after the San Fran crap), I'd love it. I'm simply not entirely sold on the fact that Manny can pull it off or has the motivation to do so.

Depending on what we'd be giving up to get Manny, I might agree with your prediction as our White Sox being W.S. favorites.

Well, then we agree. I'm not sold on Manny's attitude either, but I'd still give him a chance solely for our first real shot at a ring since Bo Jackson was on the team.

samram
07-30-2005, 07:13 PM
Well, then we agree. I'm not sold on Manny's attitude either, but I'd still give him a chance solely for our first real shot at a ring since Bo Jackson was on the team.

I'm not completely buying the bad teammate stuff. It seems like the guy with the biggest problem with him is Schilling, who I think is one of the most selfish guys in the game, bloody sock or not. Neither Varitek nor Ortiz, who are good guys, seems to have a problem with him.

Optipessimism
07-30-2005, 07:24 PM
I'm not completely buying the bad teammate stuff. It seems like the guy with the biggest problem with him is Schilling, who I think is one of the most selfish guys in the game, bloody sock or not. Neither Varitek nor Ortiz, who are good guys, seems to have a problem with him.

Obviously, I wouldn't know anything about Schilling's character, but he really rubbed me the wrong way over the whole steriod hearing thing. I thought he was going to stand up and strongly condemn it, but I don't think he did that.
Since then I haven't cared for him too much.

Cowhead418
07-30-2005, 07:24 PM
...which is exactly why Manny is staying in Boston. No one took on his contract for free, and no one is going to take on his contract for a price like that.
DING DING DING! We have a winner here folks.