PDA

View Full Version : Torii Hunter Hurt?

DaGame2584
07-29-2005, 06:16 PM
He just leaped up for a David Ortiz ball in the triangle in Fenway, and looks like a spike got caught in the wall and hurt his leg.

DaGame2584
07-29-2005, 06:19 PM
Even the Red Sox trainer just went out there. They brought out the strecher! This looks horrible for the Twins, he might of broke his ankle.

CYGarland20
07-29-2005, 06:19 PM
He just leaped up for a David Ortiz ball in the triangle in Fenway, and looks like a spike got caught in the wall and hurt his leg. As much as i wish no ill will toward a player, i sure won't be dissapointed if he's out for the year. I mean we just lost Frank.

Chips
07-29-2005, 06:20 PM
Hunter, Big Hurt, Halladay, Hafner, my fantasy team keeps coming down with injuries.

whitesoxfan
07-29-2005, 06:27 PM
i didn't see it, but it sounds nasty. Hope he comes out of it with no serious injuries.

Pasqua's Posers
07-29-2005, 07:44 PM
http://cbs.sportsline.com/mlb/story/8687814

check it for yourselves...

Clembasbal
07-29-2005, 07:53 PM
I am not a big Hunter fan, but once again I hope he ok. For the sole purpose of the fact that I know we can match up against the Twins this year, so they do not scare me. Oakland scares me, and this helps them a ton.

doublem23
07-29-2005, 07:56 PM
Hunter or not, I'm not concerned with the Twins catching the Sox in the division this year, but for those of you fretting the A's making the post-season, this is trouble.

elrod
07-29-2005, 08:13 PM
Olerud just hit a grand slam to make the Twins' misery complete.

SoxSpeed22
07-29-2005, 08:52 PM
Now ESPN said 4-6 weeks with a torn tendon in his ankle. link (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2119975)
This hurts them badly, but I was lookin' forward to a beaning war and possible brawl with them in August. Without him, now how's it gonna happen?

UofCSoxFan
07-29-2005, 09:12 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2119975

cheeses_h_rice
07-29-2005, 09:15 PM
Bud, just give the damn AL Central trophy to KW now.

Why wait?

:)

Foulke You
07-29-2005, 09:16 PM
I think this confirms that the Twins will be on the golf course this October. No way do they hang with Oakland and NY for the Wild Card now. Such a shame.

SoXPriDe33
07-29-2005, 09:19 PM
With Torii out that means that the Twins are out of contention for the playoffs but that gives Oakland a better shot at making it now which means trouble. And another negative is that Lew Ford a big Sox Killer gets more playing time and that isn't good.

Frankfan4life
07-29-2005, 09:31 PM
It was almost inevitable that one of those "web gem" type plays would finallly go wrong. Maybe, he should have just played that one off the wall.

Banix12
07-29-2005, 09:49 PM
With Torii out that means that the Twins are out of contention for the playoffs but that gives Oakland a better shot at making it now which means trouble. And another negative is that Lew Ford a big Sox Killer gets more playing time and that isn't good.

And you just know that whoever the Twins call up is going to somehow play like an allstar just after his callup.

I think this forces the Twins to make some sort of move, I just don't know for what. They need a 3b and now that Torii out for a bit they need some extra power for the next month and a half. Don't see much happening.

infohawk
07-29-2005, 09:56 PM
You can probably stick a fork in these guys. They were struggling to begin with, and now they will lose whatever offense Hunter added, and more importantly, his defense in center. They may even forgo doing anything at the trade deadline. They may have been looking for a difference-making bat, but that was in addition to Hunter. They are so dependent on their farm system that I can see them deciding to hold onto their prospects and fall out of contention rather than pursue what now looks like a long-shot wild card bid.

I actually think that losing Big Frank for the season might be a blessing in disguise. I loved his power numbers, but his ankle was clearly NOT ready for the grind. We were doing just fine with Jurassic, and now Carl knows he will be in the line-up almost everyday as a DH and not shuffled between the bench, DH and outfield. There's something to be said for certainty. Don't misunderstand, if Frank's healthy enough to run without worrying about re-injuring his ankle, I absolutely want him on this team. It just seemed like he wasn't ready to come back and unfortunately he aggravated the injury.

pczarapa
07-29-2005, 10:00 PM
Sorry, wrong forum

Ouch, that looked nasty. While I never praise an injury, this will definitely hurt the Twins.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2119975

infohawk
07-29-2005, 10:00 PM
but that gives Oakland a better shot at making it now which means trouble.

I'm going to reserve judgement on Oakland until mid-to-late September. They're hot now, but may go cold later. The Sox could be red-hot going into the playoffs too. Also, let's see what KW does before the trade deadline.

Stroker Ace
07-29-2005, 10:03 PM
YESSSSS!!!!

For Torii being out, not for the injury itself.

Malgar 12
07-29-2005, 10:03 PM
and help the A's! I guess one worries about the playoff matchup after one makes the playoffs:D:

The Dude
07-29-2005, 10:26 PM
Hunter, Big Hurt, Halladay, Hafner, my fantasy team keeps coming down with injuries.

Maybe you should stop picking players with H's. Or learn how to pick good players.:cool:

I never want to see a player hurt even a jagbag like Hunter. I'd much rather see them go into a slump and stink up the joint. Hopefully he gets better soon and beats those damn A's!

ChiSoxRowand
07-29-2005, 11:03 PM
Now ESPN said 4-6 weeks with a torn tendon in his ankle. link (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2119975)
This hurts them badly, but I was lookin' forward to a beaning war and possible brawl with them in August. Without him, now how's it gonna happen?

I love brawls, but I wouldnt want to see the Sox in one (unless they are struggling and need a kick in the ass i.e. 2000). Why would you want to risk injury and suspensions?

MIgrenade
07-29-2005, 11:06 PM
Hunter or not, I'm not concerned with the Twins catching the Sox in the division this year, but for those of you fretting the A's making the post-season, this is trouble.

Might be time to root for the Yankees...I'll pray Baltimore makes it.

CubsfansareDRUNK
07-29-2005, 11:20 PM
I love brawls, but I wouldnt want to see the Sox in one (unless they are struggling and need a kick in the ass i.e. 2000). Why would you want to risk injury and suspensions?

because it looks cool

SOX ADDICT '73
07-29-2005, 11:28 PM
With the Indians and Tigers only a few games back at this point, the Twins will be fortunate to finish better than 4th place in the Central.

I seem to remember some experts had the Sox pegged to finish in that spot this season, and the Twins were supposed to run away with the division.

Talk about a reversal of fortune! :smile:

TDog
07-29-2005, 11:31 PM
The Twinks weren't going to keep up with Oakland even with Hunter in center. I felt that way before Oakland reached .500, and I shared it in WSI chat and posts. I certainly feel that way now.

This is the sort of injury that could end up limiting Toriiiiiiiiiii's defensive aggressiveness after he returns.

SoxSpeed22
07-29-2005, 11:33 PM
I love brawls, but I wouldnt want to see the Sox in one (unless they are struggling and need a kick in the ass i.e. 2000). Why would you want to risk injury and suspensions?To show the Twins that we won't take their s***. I know we're 12 games up and have the best record, but I still feel this is unfinished business from last year. If they try and bully us again, we just hit back. That's why I'd rather see it in August than September, when it matters.

soxjim
07-29-2005, 11:40 PM
I hate to see anyone get hurt. Who ever they call up will more than likely play like an all star.

THEBIGHURT35
07-29-2005, 11:46 PM
I Am Just Hoping That The Sox Don't End Up Playing Oakland In The First Round, Because Everyone Knows What Happened The Last Time We Played In The Playoffs On The West Coast. I Think We Have A Good Shot Beating The Yanks Or Bo Sox In The First Round.

THEBIGHURT35
07-29-2005, 11:48 PM
Hunter O R No Hunter We Had The Twins Beat, They Are Not The Same Team From The Past Few Years

SoxSpeed22
07-29-2005, 11:53 PM
I Am Just Hoping That The Sox Don't End Up Playing Oakland In The First Round, Because Everyone Knows What Happened The Last Time We Played In The Playoffs On The West Coast. I Think We Have A Good Shot Beating The Yanks Or Bo Sox In The First Round.Now I'm rootin' for the Yanks to get the Wild Card. Think about it, inconsistent starting pitching, average bullpen (other than Rivera) and best of all... NIGHT GAMES!:wink:

chisoxfanatic
07-29-2005, 11:55 PM
Now I'm rootin' for the Yanks to get the Wild Card. Think about it, inconsistent starting pitching, average bullpen (other than Rivera) and best of all... NIGHT GAMES!:wink:

I'd rather the Yankees win their division and the Red Sox get the Wild Card. I think we'd beat the Red Sox easily in the playoffs...

owensmouth
07-29-2005, 11:56 PM
Now I'm rootin' for the Yanks to get the Wild Card. Think about it, inconsistent starting pitching, average bullpen (other than Rivera) and best of all... NIGHT GAMES!:wink:I'd rather see the Yankees crash and burn. I hate 'em, I'll always hate 'em.

santo=dorf
07-30-2005, 12:00 AM
https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/bschalle/www/Baseball%20pics/Sox%20magic%23.JPG?uniq=mzk6x4
:supernana:

Mr. White Sox
07-30-2005, 12:15 AM
Well, this is the Twins' equivalent of Torii Hunter knocking over Jamie Burke.

KARMA IS A BIG, BIG BITCH TORII!

EDIT: Moral karma of course...I never hope for injuries...

dcb33
07-30-2005, 12:28 AM
Sox Magic Number: 49
:supernana:

Objects in mirror are NOT closer than they appear

I'd rather see the Yankees crash and burn. I hate 'em, I'll always hate 'em.

Amen. The playoffs would be 1000 times better without the Yankees.

At this point I am actually rooting for the Jays to win the Wild Card. They have a solid team and will get a lot better once Halladay gets back. I realize that they are a long shot at this point, but any AL playoff that doesn't involve Boston and New York is a good one.

Erik The Red
07-30-2005, 12:48 AM
I Am Just Hoping That The Sox Don't End Up Playing Oakland In The First Round, Because Everyone Knows What Happened The Last Time We Played In The Playoffs On The West Coast. I Think We Have A Good Shot Beating The Yanks Or Bo Sox In The First Round.
Ease off the caps lock, buddy.

WhiteSox16K
07-30-2005, 01:50 AM

Uh huhhhh . . . Are you talking about all 1 games on the West Coast in 2000 when already down 2-0 in the series? I'll worry about who the Sox play in the 1st round on October 4 and only on October 4. As the saying goes, "To be the best, you have to beat the best." And if that means Oakland, then bring it on. When you make it to the playoffs, every team is going to be good. Anaheim, Oakland, New York, Boston - does it really matter who's first? In all liklihood the Sox will have to beat some combination of these teams to get to the 'show', so why not make Oakand the first victim.

On Torii Hunter . . . oh well, couldn't happen to a better guy.

Lip Man 1
07-30-2005, 01:52 AM
Sox 16 K:

Because the record shows the Sox have played better in Fenway and in Yankee Stadium since the start of the 2000 season then in the Oakland 'house of horrors.' Also their overall West Coast record in general has been brutal since the start of the 2001 season.

Play Oakland....thank you, I'll pass.

Lip

Optipessimism
07-30-2005, 02:40 AM
My perfect scenario is this:

Angels win the West, Sox win the Central, Red Sox win the East, Twins win the wildcard.

The Twins beat the Angels in a close series to show the world how competitive they truly are. The Sox EMBARRASS the Red Sox and sweep them in 3 games with scores like 8-2, 6-1, 11-3 (in Fenway). Then, the Sox and Twins have a nice ALCS, of course with the Sox coming out on top, and show everyone in the East what they should already have known: The Yanks suck in 2005, and the Red Sawx just plain suck.

Foulke You
07-30-2005, 03:50 AM
I want the Yankees for the Wild Card. Nothing would be sweeter than knocking off the top dog, 26 time champion, Jeter/ARod Fest, national media loving, NYMF-Yankees in PRIME TIME night games while Chris Berman calls the games in absolute horror as the Pale Hose stomp out the Evil Empire on their way to the ALCS. After our 3 game sweep, Rob Dibble can write about how the ALCS and World Series is going to be a joke without "the face of baseball", Derek Jeter.:cool:

After watching the two series we played against Oakland, I'd be more comfortable if Barry Zito, Mark Kotsay, Rich Harden, and their ilk were on the golf course during the ALDS. :o:

harwar
07-30-2005, 06:51 AM
Even though i was angry after what happened with Hunter & Burke,i could not hate Torri Hunter because,in my mind, theres' nothing as exciting as watching a great center fielder plying his trade.
I thought that the twins were just "dancing as fast as i can' just to try and keep up with the WC race before they lost hunter.
They are only a factor now when we play them head on.
Oakland scares me but i hope that we have to play boston & new york to get to the world series just so everyone knows who the best team in baseball really is.

I want Mags back
07-30-2005, 10:47 AM
Looks like we finally got our revenge from last year.

http://img153.exs.cx/img153/2477/63496121ft.jpg

HE GONE !

flo-B-flo
07-30-2005, 01:07 PM
Might be time to root for the Yankees...I'll pray Baltimore makes it. How about they all kick the s*** out of each other the rest of the season while the Sox continue to fly under the radar?:wink:

JUribe1989
07-30-2005, 01:14 PM
I remember the huge backlash on this board when members were happy that Priot was hurt. You shouldn't want Prior to be hurt because he didn't do anything to anyone else physically. Torii Hunter however, you can wish for him to be hurt because he sure didn't care when he put Burke in the hospital.

pudgefisk27
07-30-2005, 03:40 PM
My perfect scenario is this:

Angels win the West, Sox win the Central, Red Sox win the East, Twins win the wildcard.

The Twins beat the Angels in a close series to show the world how competitive they truly are. The Sox EMBARRASS the Red Sox and sweep them in 3 games with scores like 8-2, 6-1, 11-3 (in Fenway). Then, the Sox and Twins have a nice ALCS, of course with the Sox coming out on top, and show everyone in the East what they should already have known: The Yanks suck in 2005, and the Red Sawx just plain suck.

That is such a delusional statement that it's not even funny.

The Yankees, Angels, Red Sox and Twins have all won World Series since the 1990's and have had more recent post-season success than the White Sox, yet here you all are bragging about how easy it would be to knock them off in the playoffs. Based on what? Seriously? Regular season record until now? What the..?? :?:

A little rationality and respect here, folks. We're talking about facing teams IN THE PLAYOFFS that:

A) Have won more world titles than any other professional sports franchise

B) Won 8 games in a row against the best two records in baseball last year to win a title, after being down 3-0.

C) Are one of the best-balanced teams in all of baseball (LAA) with great pitching/bullpen and can play any kind of offensive game (situational hitting/power)

D) Oakland - Sox' Achilles heel.

ie: teams that have faced and overcome adversity time and again in the postseason; yet many of you claim how easy it is on blind faith? Then to claim being afraid of Oakland? All this talk about loving how the Sox are flying under the radar, but then talking as if they have a track record like the Yankees and how they'll destroy proven playoff teams is just plain ignorant.

Step back a little bit, will ya? :rolleyes: It's fine to get excited, I mean, it's exciting for all of us. But when we complain about how the Cubune blows everything out of proportion, how does this exactly do anything but make our fans look like hypocrites? ? "EASILY" is just a dumb word to use, because those teams are more than capable of making it very tough on us.

SoxSpeed22
07-30-2005, 04:56 PM
I remember the huge backlash on this board when members were happy that Priot was hurt. You shouldn't want Prior to be hurt because he didn't do anything to anyone else physically. Torii Hunter however, you can wish for him to be hurt because he sure didn't care when he put Burke in the hospital.I have Protoman-type feelings about this. In the crappy cartoon, Protoman never wants to see Megaman die, because he wants to kill him. I don't want to see Hunter get hurt by anyone else except by being beaned by one of our pitchers or hurt in a brawl involving us.