Mr. White Sox
07-29-2005, 07:00 PM
Per Buster Olney/ESPN SC

Mets get:
Danys Baez + Manny Ramirez

Red Sox get:
Aubrey Huff/Mike Cameron

Tampa Bay gets:
Stud Prospects (Anibel Sanchez, Kelly Shoppach, Yusmerio Petit, Lastings Milledge)

MIgrenade
07-29-2005, 07:00 PM
Where is this from?

I guess you added it.

The Mets have always been seen as suitors. Why can't the Sox pull trades?

Jjav829
07-29-2005, 07:01 PM
Nooooo!!!! No. No. No. No. No. No. No. This can't happen. We need Huff here. This better be crap or else it better fall apart.

SOXfnNlansing
first I've heard of that one

Mr. White Sox
Just heard it on SportsCenter, they said Buster Olney reported it. It's in talks and just a rumor currently.

And yes, this destroys the ChiSox in terms of trade-making.

DaGame2584
07-29-2005, 07:03 PM
I just heard this on SportsCenter

Boston Get: A. Huff
Mets Get: M. Ramirez, and D. Baez
Devil Rays Get: Prospects(No Names Mentioned)

nodiggity59
07-29-2005, 07:04 PM
In destroys us in terms of a deal, but remember that the BoSox won't be all that better off with Huff. It would be a draw at best. Basically what I'm saying is that we'd still be a good position in relation to the other teams.

Now, if the Bosox decide the freed up salary allows them to take on 60% of Lowell, and they get him and Burnett, and trade Mueller for Romero.......:angry:

Madvora
07-29-2005, 07:06 PM
We're still left with the Lyle Overbay option though. Milwaukee says that he's not really available, but if KW really wants him, it can be done.

Wait a second - are you telling me that TB would only take prospects? We can offer much better than that. We should be in this.

nedlug
07-29-2005, 07:06 PM
Hm, so how does this work out for the Red Sox? Seems to me that Theo, no matter how much Manny has become a distraction, wouldn't give up Ramirez for Huff.

DaGame2584
07-29-2005, 07:07 PM
Manny is in the BoSox lineup tonight, maybe that is a good sign.

DaGame2584
07-29-2005, 07:10 PM
If they get this trade through will we go and try for Overbay or Griffey?

joltnjoe
07-29-2005, 07:10 PM
Where is this from?

I guess you added it.

The Mets have always been seen as suitors. Why can't the Sox pull trades?

The reason we can't pull of any trades is because KW is sitting on his damn hands. He is not gonna pull the trigger on any trades. Guillen likes the team he has. That whole JR said money isn't an issue is BULL****. Money is always an issue when it comes to him. The only reason he said that is so the fans will get behind this team and show up at the park, hence he makes more money for him and his partners. I don't trust JR for a minute. Williams is just his little puppet. They make me sick

Mr. White Sox
07-29-2005, 07:11 PM
Hm, so how does this work out for the Red Sox? Seems to me that Theo, no matter how much Manny has become a distraction, wouldn't give up Ramirez for Huff.

well, it does free up appx 15 mil per year, and allows the Red Sox to more freely pursue A.J. Burnett, Billy Wagner, J.C. Romero (Huff can play a bad 3B, allowing Mueller to be traded or allowing a platoon with Youlilis), etc.

pudge
07-29-2005, 07:12 PM
The reason we can't pull of any trades is because KW is sitting on his damn hands. He is not gonna pull the trigger on any trades. Guillen likes the team he has. That whole JR said money isn't an issue is BULL****. Money is always an issue when it comes to him. The only reason he said that is so the fans will get behind this team and show up at the park, hence he makes more money for him and his partners. I don't trust JR for a minute. Williams is just his little puppet. They make me sick

Oh my god are you a moron or did you just refuse to use teal? Or are you a troll?

Jjav829
07-29-2005, 07:12 PM
We're still left with the Lyle Overbay option though. Milwaukee says that he's not really available, but if KW really wants him, it can be done.

Wait a second - are you telling me that TB would only take prospects? We can offer much better than that. We should be in this.

Overbay doesn't seem to be available. In terms of impact hitters that are known to actually be available, Huff is the best. Overbay will likely be kept until the offseason when the Brewers will attempt to get a major league established player for him.

Yes, from the sounds of it Tampa Bay would get prospects, but who knows what prospects. Those prospects could include Milledge, Petit, etc. They'd most likely be getting several impact prospects.

Jjav829
07-29-2005, 07:13 PM

You're joking, right? From the sounds of it, Kenny has been as aggressive as any GM. He can't just snap his fingers and make a trade happen.

Chips
07-29-2005, 07:17 PM
Oh my god are you a moron or did you just refuse to use teal? Or are you a troll?

A moron and a troll.

Madvora
07-29-2005, 07:17 PM
I think those teams involved know KW is already very aggressive and now might be getting a little desperate. I'm sure all parties will allow him to beat any of the offers they have on the table, why wouldn't they? He might just do it too.
We've been hearing "rumors" for months now and they change day by day, if KW hears about something he might just get in there himself and grab one or two of these guys out from under someone's nose.

BeviBall!
07-29-2005, 07:19 PM
This trade makes zero sense for Boston. That's just ridiculous.

joltnjoe
07-29-2005, 07:19 PM
You're joking, right? From the sounds of it, Kenny has been as aggressive as any GM. He can't just snap his fingers and make a trade happen.

No I'm not kidding, and don't give me the snap your fingers crap. He can make a deal very easy, but he doesn't want to give up too many PROSPECTS. You have a chance to really do something special and he's worrying about giving up too much. I am sick of hearing about not wanting to give up Mcarthy. The kid don't impress me at all. How can you say he's been aggressive. Do you talk to him personally? Or are you just going by these rumors? JR is getting real fat this year.

Mr. White Sox
07-29-2005, 07:20 PM

It makes sense for Boston if they make more trades to acquire Burnett/Schmidt, Wagner, Romero, or others. It frees up a ton of money.

aMiTyViLL
07-29-2005, 07:21 PM
Is there a world series of the minors? If so tampa bay seems to go for that instead of the majors :rolleyes:

DaGame2584
07-29-2005, 07:22 PM

It does to me. They are freeing up $$$ for Wagner, Lowell, and Burnett trade possibilities. They are going toward Pitching more.

shaunburnette
07-29-2005, 07:22 PM
this is completely ridiculous. there is no way this is happening unless lowell and burnett are also heading to boston in part to this.

BeviBall!
07-29-2005, 07:23 PM
No I'm not kidding, and don't give me the snap your fingers crap. He can make a deal very easy, but he doesn't want to give up too many PROSPECTS. You have a chance to really do something special and he's worrying about giving up too much. I am sick of hearing about not wanting to give up Mcarthy. The kid don't impress me at all. How can you say he's been aggressive. Do you talk to him personally? Or are you just going by these rumors? JR is getting real fat this year.

Holy Christ... RELAX! Nothing's happened yet. We get to Sunday and we do nothing, then you can B&M.

Chips
07-29-2005, 07:23 PM

11 of the 14 teams in the AL are still in contention, just about all of the NL is in contention also. Not every team is willing to give up on the seaon just yet. There isn't that big of trade market this year.

BeviBall!
07-29-2005, 07:24 PM
It makes sense for Boston if they make more trades to acquire Burnett/Schmidt, Wagner, Romero, or others. It frees up a ton of money.

Too big of a risk. Why trade Manny... seriously? So many things have to fall in place for this to happen. Either way, KW is gonna have to do some hard-selling.

DaGame2584
07-29-2005, 07:25 PM
BTW, The "Red Sox Nation" booed the living crap out of Manny.

Madvora
07-29-2005, 07:25 PM
Boston would totally be plotting something big with this move...

BeviBall!
07-29-2005, 07:27 PM
Boston would totally be plotting something big with this move...

If this goes through, and Boston adds Wagner, Burnett, et al, we're dead where we stand.

joltnjoe
07-29-2005, 07:27 PM
[QUOTE=Chips]A moron and a troll.

Your the moron. And I got your troll

Mr. White Sox
07-29-2005, 07:29 PM
If this goes through, and Boston adds Wagner, Burnett, et al, we're dead where we stand.

Yep. And we will call them the Evil Empire Jr. They will have a $150mil payroll, even without Manny, and the White Sox Army shall add the Red Flubs, permanently, to the list of teams that one should never, ever root for. No matter the circumstance.

Madvora
07-29-2005, 07:31 PM
I like them not having Ortiz and Manny back to back, but their weakness is pitching and I want it to stay that way.
KW is very competitive though. He'll make sure we come out on top.

- game time. Nice shirt Hawk.

TimChamp
07-29-2005, 07:32 PM
Per Buster Olney/ESPN SC

Mets get:
Baez + Manny Ramirez

Red Sox get:
Huff

Tampa Bay gets:
Prospects

I believe it is more like this:

Mets get:
Baez + Manny Ramirez

Red Sox get:
Huff & Cameron

Tampa Bay gets:
Prospects

--Champ out

Mr. White Sox
07-29-2005, 07:33 PM
Aubrey Huff is in the lineup tonight...he is 1/1 with a three-run HR.

It is? Where did you hear that?

HebrewHammer
07-29-2005, 07:40 PM
Just when the Burnett mega-thread loses steam, this one pops up to take its place, its just uncanny.

doublem23
07-29-2005, 07:41 PM
Your the moron. And I got your troll

It's pretty clear the stress of the trade deadline is preventing you from playing nicely with everyone.

Let's talk in a week.

Domeshot17
07-29-2005, 07:47 PM
well first of all, to all of those saying " THE RED SOX ARE PLOTTING" the deal probably is not contingent that they get Burnett and Lowell afterwards, although it is likely.

The deal is basically Manny being the rickey williams of the mlb and telling SI that he wants out of Boston and he hates it there. If the Red Sox take back both Huff and Cameron, it only frees up about 6 million for them, and there is no where to play Cameron assuming Huff doesnt take over for Ortiz or Olerud.

The one thing that strikes me is Kenny does his big trading in the off season- David Wells, Pods etc. While the deadline he seems to just tweak the team ( back to back Carl Everett and Robbie Alomar flops). He needs to do something big. I am not turning on our Sox here, but we are 500 against a pretty weak schedule since the break, and we need to turn it back up. If it was not for the twins playing so bad, our lead to realistically be around 7 or 8 right now. We can't stand pat if other playoff teams are getting better.

sircaffey1
07-29-2005, 07:55 PM
Take Huff, I'll pack his bag. If that means Manny F-in Ramirez is off the Red Sox and in the NL, then take him. Go after Soriano instead.

Banix12
07-29-2005, 08:42 PM
well first of all, to all of those saying " THE RED SOX ARE PLOTTING" the deal probably is not contingent that they get Burnett and Lowell afterwards, although it is likely.

The deal is basically Manny being the rickey williams of the mlb and telling SI that he wants out of Boston and he hates it there. If the Red Sox take back both Huff and Cameron, it only frees up about 6 million for them, and there is no where to play Cameron assuming Huff doesnt take over for Ortiz or Olerud.

I believe Trot Nixon is currently on the DL so if this trade does go down they can play both Cameron and Huff in the OF. At least for the short term. I also think that if this trade goes down Mueller could get traded for relief pitching, maybe the much talked about Mueller for J.C. Romero rumor. Then Huff would likely move to 3rd base when Nixon eventually returns.

ChiSoxRowand
07-29-2005, 08:47 PM
I believe it is more like this:

Mets get:
Baez + Manny Ramirez

Red Sox get:
Huff & Cameron

Tampa Bay gets:
Prospects

--Champ out

Yes, Olney said the Red Sox would get Cameron, and the prospects TB would get include Lastings Milledge and Yusmeiro Petit, the Mets top 2 prospects. I don't get this deal from the Red Sox perspective, unless they turned around and made another move.

chaerulez
07-29-2005, 09:02 PM
Nooooo!!!! No. No. No. No. No. No. No. This can't happen. We need Huff here. This better be crap or else it better fall apart.

I agree, with Frank out for the year, Huff is the perfect bat and the left handed power we could use to replace him.

elrod
07-29-2005, 09:19 PM
Manny Ramirez is really starting to heat up. Mike Cameron has really cooled off. Aubrey Huff is hitting bitter, but is a huge downgrade from Ramirez. If the Mets get Baez AND Ramirez then they are HUGE winners here.

SoxSpeed22
07-29-2005, 09:20 PM
For the most part, according to ESPN, EVERY trade involves the Red Sox, Yankees or Mets.
:deadhorse:

denev1
07-29-2005, 09:22 PM

That's what I said when I saw this... good post

Ol' No. 2
07-29-2005, 09:33 PM
Cameron is still in the game for the Mets. Manny is still in the game, too. At best, this is still in the discussion phase. I just don't see the Red Sox giving up Manny, even for Baez and Cameron.

TheOldRoman
07-29-2005, 09:36 PM
Manny Ramirez is really starting to heat up. Mike Cameron has really cooled off. Aubrey Huff is hitting bitter, but is a huge downgrade from Ramirez. If the Mets get Baez AND Ramirez then they are HUGE winners here.
After I read the first post I agreed with you. Manny Ramirez is one of the best hitters ever, and he is still in his prime. Boston would make their team much worse by making this trade. However, I realized that it would clear up enough payroll for them to pick up Burnett and Lowell, and trade Mueller for Romero, and possibly even get Wagner. If the Red Sox picked up Lowell, Romero, Wagner, Burnett, and Huff, we are doomed.

samram
07-29-2005, 09:49 PM
Cameron is still in the game for the Mets. Manny is still in the game, too. At best, this is still in the discussion phase. I just don't see the Red Sox giving up Manny, even for Baez and Cameron.

Me either. Not to mention that even if Manny is demanding a trade, he won't be a clubhouse cancer. I think he has about four different Manny worlds and he doesn't carry one over to the others.

infohawk
07-29-2005, 09:53 PM
And yes, this destroys the ChiSox in terms of trade-making.

Not necessarily. It's still possible KW swings something with the Giants for one or more of Schmidt/Eyre/Vizquel. Then there's always the Marlins. I wouldn't be surprised if something happens that wasn't expected. I guess I just don't think that, because we know of some rumors, those trade possiblilities are the only game in town.

denev1
07-29-2005, 09:56 PM
link:
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2119978

BeviBall!
07-29-2005, 10:20 PM
link:
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2119978

I loooooooooove roadblocks.

Tragg
07-29-2005, 11:28 PM
Not necessarily. It's still possible KW swings something with the Giants for one or more of Schmidt/Eyre/Vizquel. Then there's always the Marlins. I wouldn't be surprised if something happens that wasn't expected. I guess I just don't think that, because we know of some rumors, those trade possiblilities are the only game in town.

I hope this trade goes through. Boston isn't trading him to us. Let him go to the NL.

Eyre is just an okay pitcher - a useful pitcher. We don't need him unless we trade Marte. I think we should have enough experience with inflated numbers from NL pitchers, to realize that what you see is NOT what you get.

Tampa Bay is doing themselves mighty well in this 3 way deal for Manny. They are getting FOUR top prospects for Huff and Baez. Baez isn't worth close to a top prospect and 2 top prospects would be a solid price for Huff...they're getting a 1 prospect bonus.
Boston isn't getting value - but they can't expect more than 1/4 value with a contract like that...they waived him a while back and zero teams claimed him.

Mr. White Sox
07-29-2005, 11:54 PM
Tampa Bay is doing themselves mighty well in this 3 way deal for Manny. They are getting FOUR top prospects for Huff and Baez. Baez isn't worth close to a top prospect and 2 top prospects would be a solid price for Huff...they're getting a 1 prospect bonus.
Boston isn't getting value - but they can't expect more than 1/4 value with a contract like that...they waived him a while back and zero teams claimed him.

Oh yeah, they are. These are all hi-level prospects. If TB can get this done, they actually could be a respectable team in two or three years.

Boston probably gets off the best besides TB here; they get Huff and Cameron, and a little bit of payroll flexibility to go along with it.

EDIT: Supposedly, according to a remark at the end of SC, there is a 12 o'clock noon deadline SAT to get this trade done.

Madvora
07-30-2005, 12:10 AM
I loooooooooove roadblocks.
Now that's an all-star post.

Yeeessss!

Jjav829
07-30-2005, 11:17 AM
I'm glad to see this fell apart, but we're in trouble. Look at what the Rays were getting in this deal. They were making out like bandits. There's no way we can really match this. In return for trading Huff and Baez (the package KW was supposedly looking to get), the Rays were getting Anibel Sanchez and Kelly Shoppach, plus Yusmeiro Petit and Lastings Milledge. Those are 4 top prospects. After almost pulling out this package, just imagine what LaMar is gonna ask KW for; something like McCarthy, Anderson, and Sweeney?

TheOldRoman
07-30-2005, 11:48 AM
I'm glad to see this fell apart, but we're in trouble. Look at what the Rays were getting in this deal. They were making out like bandits. There's no way we can really match this. In return for trading Huff and Baez (the package KW was supposedly looking to get), the Rays were getting Anibel Sanchez and Kelly Shoppach, plus Yusmeiro Petit and Lastings Milledge. Those are 4 top prospects. After almost pulling out this package, just imagine what LaMar is gonna ask KW for; something like McCarthy, Anderson, and Sweeney?
Yes, but intelligence was never Lamar's strong suit. KW could probably trick him into making a bad deal like a con man fooling some rube at a game of cards. If it comes down to the deadline, and Huff is still in Tampa, the price is going to drop. The teams set noon today as the deadline to work this deal out. After it is officially dead, there will likely be no other suitors for Huff. Why would they keep Huff? They are going to move him for whatever they can get.

Madvora
07-30-2005, 12:04 PM
Sportscenter just said there was a noon deadline (EDT) for this deal. That time limits up. I wonder if it got halted completely?

There has to be a reason they would set up that time limit, because KW or somebody is probably waiting to make another offer...

BeviBall!
07-30-2005, 12:41 PM
Sportscenter just said there was a noon deadline (EDT) for this deal. That time limits up. I wonder if it got halted completely?

There has to be a reason they would set up that time limit, because KW or somebody is probably waiting to make another offer...

That's absolutely the reason.

Ol' No. 2
07-30-2005, 12:58 PM
That's absolutely the reason.No. The reason is that there would be a large sum of money changing hands and it would have to be approved by the commissioner's office. That takes time, so no one wants to be left hanging with no deal if Selig nixes it.

soltrain21
07-30-2005, 01:19 PM
On an ESPN update it seems that Huff is out of the deal and that Lugo is in his place, along with some changes in the prospects.

BeviBall!
07-30-2005, 02:36 PM
No. The reason is that there would be a large sum of money changing hands and it would have to be approved by the commissioner's office. That takes time, so no one wants to be left hanging with no deal if Selig nixes it.

Yeah, you're right. It would have nothing to do with teams not wanting to be left holding the bag and missing out on another deal.