PDA

View Full Version : Yankees - Sox Trade?

Madvora
07-29-2005, 01:41 PM
I wish I had something in print, but I caught this off the radio at about 12:20-12:30. This was on ESPN1000, so whoever was listening please confirm.

I don't know who they were talking to, but supposedly the Yankees want Hernandez back and they would send Tom Gordon to the Sox for him.

Now obviously this would hinge on the Sox picking up another starter for themselves. Most likely this would only happen if we landed Burnett or something.
Just reporting what I heard on the radio.

Foulke You
07-29-2005, 01:45 PM
I wish I had something in print, but I caught this off the radio at about 12:20-12:30. This was on ESPN1000, so whoever was listening please confirm.

I don't know who they were talking to, but supposedly the Yankees want Hernandez back and they would send Tom Gordon to the Sox for him.

Now obviously this would hinge on the Sox picking up another starter for themselves. Most likely this would only happen if we landed Burnett or something.
That is interesting but very risky. Flash is a hell of a setup man/closer but I'd hate for the Sox to be haunted by El Duque's legendary playoff performances in the ALCS. It would be the White Sox luck to lose the ALCS to the Yankees with El Duque winning 2 of the 4 games.

fledgedrallycap
07-29-2005, 01:51 PM
You can't do it. Hernandez is in our pinstripes for post season reliance. Gordan is simply not enough.

beck72
07-29-2005, 01:57 PM

This has been reported in a few places for a week or so. The Yanks supposedly nixed that trade

Madvora
07-29-2005, 02:00 PM
This has been reported in a few places for a week or so. The Yanks supposedly nixed that trade
I remember hearing Gordon, but nothing about who they wanted.
It would make sense replacing Hernandez with Burnett though. I'd rather have that.

Soxzilla
07-29-2005, 02:05 PM
I doubt this will happen with the Yankees just getting Nomo and Chacon.

The Yanks simply can't afford to throw out one of their top bullpen arms right now. That pen wouldn't be able to survive any lead in order to take a game to the ninth for Rivera.

Madvora
07-29-2005, 02:10 PM
I doubt this will happen with the Yankees just getting Nomo and Chacon.

The Yanks simply can't afford to throw out one of their top bullpen arms right now. That pen wouldn't be able to survive any lead in order to take a game to the ninth for Rivera.

Look at this...
http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/MLB_SC-RUMOR
The Yankees search for pitching help has them talking to Cleveland about Kevin Millwood, to Seattle about Gil Meche and Jamie Moyer and to Detroit about Jason Johnson, says the New York Daily News. Other names thrown in the mix by the New York Post are Scott Eyre of San Francisco, Seattle's Ron Villone and Pittsburgh's Rick White, while the Newark Star Ledger</B> adds in Cleveland's Scott Sauerbeck.
Jamie Moyer? Are the Yankees obsessed with old guys?
Rick White! Rick White!!!!!

Erik The Red
07-29-2005, 02:53 PM
No way we deal him for Gordon. No effing way.

GAsoxfan
07-29-2005, 04:03 PM
What I read said the Yankees called KW to ask about acquiring Hernandez. KW said they would need Gordon in return and the Yankees said no and that was the end of it.

FedEx227
07-29-2005, 04:48 PM
The yankees are determined to have an entire team of 1995's finest pitchers.

Dick Allen
07-29-2005, 04:51 PM
What I read said the Yankees called KW to ask about acquiring Hernandez. KW said they would need Gordon in return and the Yankees said no and that was the end of it.Is this true? The Yankees are the ones that turned the Sox down, instead of the other way around? I can't believe this.

GAsoxfan
07-29-2005, 05:01 PM
Is this true? The Yankees are the ones that turned the Sox down, instead of the other way around? I can't believe this.

That's what I've read (which doesn't necessarily mean it's true). I guess the Yankees thought Hernandez wasn't enough of an upgrade over someone like Chacon who they could get for minor leaguers.

Dick Allen
07-29-2005, 05:06 PM
That's what I've read (which doesn't necessarily mean it's true). I guess the Yankees thought Hernandez wasn't enough of an upgrade over someone like Chacon who they could get for minor leaguers.I just can't believe KW would have given them El Duque for Gordon straight up. Unless he had something else up his sleeve.:redneck

GAsoxfan
07-29-2005, 05:13 PM
I just can't believe KW would have given them El Duque for Gordon straight up. Unless he had something else up his sleeve.:redneck

I don't think it was a straight up trade. IIRC, I think KW said any trade would have to involve Gordon, which the Yankees weren't willing to do.

I also heard another report that said the Sox wouldn't trade El Duque unless they traded for another starter.