07-29-2005, 01:19 PM
It's true

Tekijawa
07-29-2005, 01:20 PM
Is there going to be a press conference??? :wink:

They've been setting up for three days!

Elvisfan1977
I'm going to have to wait to see this for myself in print.
No offense, but you' drove this forum into a frenzy with the "Press Conference" thread.

None taken.

Terry21fg
I feel bad for him, this being one of the greatest seasons for the Sox and now he won't be a part of it in October.

I just hope this isn't the last we've seen of Frank in a Sox uniform :(:

balke
07-29-2005, 01:21 PM
I might trust Levine less than anyone on the board.

Madvora
My apologies. I just heard it myself.

This sucks!

cleanwsox
Let's win him a ring! Luckely for us, the DH position is a place we are pretty deep at. Best wishes Frank, get better for next year.

CubsfansareDRUNK
07-29-2005, 01:23 PM
Noooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!

Kilroy
07-29-2005, 01:24 PM
Maybe I just don't want it to be so, but I find it very hard te believe that Levine-line reported it 90 minutes ago, and NO ONE ELSE has it at this point. I'll wait a while before I accept that...

Frankly Missing
07-29-2005, 01:25 PM
I can't think straight. I feel horrible for our big man.

downstairs
07-29-2005, 01:25 PM
I sense a Kirk Gibson moment in game one of the World Series...

Ok, getting ahead of myself.

Seriously... this isn't a disaster, but its not good. I like having a deep bench of good hitters for pinch hitting...

*cough* Manny Rimerez *cough* *cough*

Madvora
07-29-2005, 01:26 PM
Maybe I just don't want it to be so, but I find it very hard te believe that Levine-line reported it 90 minutes ago, and NO ONE ELSE has it at this point. I'll wait a while before I accept that...
I just heard it confirmed on ESPN1000 myself.

Man, this was the year for Frank to do it. Maybe we can still get a Kirk Gibson-like appearance by him in the World Series?
- edit - whoops, didn't see the one above...^

downstairs

Score just reported "longer than 15 days, maybe a lot longer"

ChiSoxPatF
:whiner:
Tragic. This is tragic.

downstairs
I sense a Kirk Gibson moment in game one of the World Series...

Maybe we can still get a Kirk Gibson-like appearance by him in the World Series?

Great minds...

Tekijawa
07-29-2005, 01:27 PM
You are the same guy that started the "press conference" thread right? This better be true or I feel a Ban coming on!

NSSoxFan
07-29-2005, 01:27 PM
I couldn't say I didn't see this coming.

Frank has been less than 75% this season and it was looking like he was playing with pain. In the month and a half he was in the line-up he provided the offense with a great spark. The one thing that discouraged me about Frank was his inability to run. It hurt me whenever I saw him run.

Big Frank will always remain my favorite baseball player of all time, always.

Baby Fisk
07-29-2005, 01:28 PM
What a noble foot is here o'erthrown! :o:

Someone warm RKM. This could be the news that finally brings on the aneurysm. :(:

Kilroy
I just heard it confirmed on ESPN1000 myself.

And just where do you think Levine would have reported it the first time?

balke
I need details. Why out for year? What's going on with the ankle? Will he miss next year?

cheeses_h_rice
07-29-2005, 01:29 PM
This sucks, but at least the news came with a few days remaining before the non-waiver trade deadline.

Let's do it, KW.

downstairs
07-29-2005, 01:29 PM
This is the way I think about it. Injuries happen. At least our 1-2-3 starters have been injury free.

Frank was a "spark" to this team, but in no way a critical part of the success this year (no offense, he's just been down and platooned too much).

I do hope we stock up on some world-series-caliber talent this weekend...

SoxSpeed22
07-29-2005, 01:30 PM
I hate to use 600 for this...:whiner::whiner:
Is this gonna increase our pursuit of Huff?

Elvisfan1977
07-29-2005, 01:31 PM

How does Ken Griffey Jr. sound now?

BeviBall!
07-29-2005, 01:32 PM
I hate to use 600 for this...:whiner::whiner:

It better... he or Junior.

Tekijawa
07-29-2005, 01:32 PM

certainly for me!:bong:

dcb33
07-29-2005, 01:33 PM

Pretty damn good. Get 'er done, Kenny!

NSSoxFan
07-29-2005, 01:33 PM

I think I heard a hamstring snapping, it doesn't sound too good after all.

UofCSoxFan
07-29-2005, 01:34 PM
Although I'm glad we found out about this before the deadline, why the hell would we announce it to the world BEFORE the deadline. We now have a greater demand for a power hitting bat, and guess what, when demand goes up, people are willing to pay more. All of our potential trade partners all know this now.

I think I'm going to be sick...:chunks

Frankly Missing
07-29-2005, 01:36 PM
This is the way I think about it. Injuries happen. At least our 1-2-3 starters have been injury free.

Frank was a "spark" to this team, but in no way a critical part of the success this year (no offense, he's just been down and platooned too much).

This might be "matter of fact" , "lets move on" news to some fans.

But Frank the person means ALOT to ALOT of Sox fans.

My concern at this moment is for what this means to Frank and his future.

MushMouth
07-29-2005, 01:36 PM
This is like a punch in the gut

man o man

Well, time to make a push for Griffey...

Jjav829
07-29-2005, 01:37 PM
Well, this isn't much of a surprise. Does "out for the year" mean out for the regular season or out for the rest of the baseball season? I'm assuming the latter, though hoping for the former. If nothing else, I'd like to see Frank on the bench for the playoffs. Even if he can't start or be relied on for 4 at-bats, if he can even contribute an at-bat here and there, he'd be more valuable on the bench than Timo.

The sad thing is that we might have seen Frank's last at-bat as a member of the White Sox. :(:

NSSoxFan
07-29-2005, 01:37 PM
Well, time to make a push for Griffey...

Everyone please stop talking about trading for Griffey. Not. Gonna. Happen.

MushMouth
07-29-2005, 01:39 PM

Why not? We have the prospects to trade and Jerry is willing to pay for it...

Either that or bring up Borchard

Jjav829
07-29-2005, 01:39 PM
Although I'm glad we found out about this before the deadline, why the hell would we announce it to the world BEFORE the deadline. We now have a greater demand for a power hitting bat, and guess what, when demand goes up, people are willing to pay more. All of our potential trade partners all know this now.

I think I'm going to be sick...

You know, I kind of thought about that as well. But, I don't know that it necessarily puts Kenny in an awful position. Remember, this team did absolutely fine before Frank returned when we had Everett at DH. The luxury of having Everett gives KW some leverage where he doesn't look desperate to make a move. It's not like we have Timo as our DH now.

Baby Fisk
07-29-2005, 01:40 PM
The sad thing is that we might have seen Frank's last at-bat as a member of the White Sox. :(:
NOOOOOOO! :whiner:

Jaffar

I met him on July 19th against the tigers for the first time in my life and never will forget it. I do believe that was the last game he played in. I am depressed.:(:

voodoochile
Ah....

Crap...

Hope he might be available for PH duties in the playoffs. Hope this isn't career threatening. Hope that post about it taking a year or more to come back from ankle injuries in another thread is true and that Frank is mostly struggling with pain and not long term debilitation.

Get well soon, Big Man and whatever happens, you will always be the Big Hurt...:gulp:

Jjav829
07-29-2005, 01:41 PM

Probably not gonna happen now. But if the Reds get things together in house, and if JR is willing to take on the added payroll, there is no reason the Sox can't get Griffey after the non-waiver deadline. We probably won't see Griffey as a White Sox within the next 2 days, but if we don't acquire Huff or another hitter by Sunday, it's always an option after July 31st.

bumptious96
I agree that Jr. ain't gettin' traded. But HUFF and BAEZ must happen if we are going to make a big deal. Wagner isn't getting traded cause GM Wade will get a death sentence in Philly. A.J. Burnett isn't the answer, neither is Baez necessarily, but a quality bullpen arm and a LH bat are our two biggest needs.

Dealing with Chuck LaMar sucks, but we have to do it. I say send McCarthy, Anderson/Sweeney, and another arm for Huff and Baez.

Mots09
Just got off the phone w/ a very reliable source that travels w/ the team and he assured me that Hurt ISN'T OUT FOR THE YEAR!

He laughed when I told him Levine was reporting it.

:supernana: Keep the Faith

GO GO GO SOX

Madvora
07-29-2005, 01:42 PM
And just where do you think Levine would have reported it the first time?
Well, I meant that the update guy reported it, then it was talked about on the DP show (by whoever today's host is)

- Something else I just thought of... Frank was never on the DL, so now he's going to leave a roster spot open. Who's coming? I assume it's going to be via trade, but I wonder if they'll bring up someone in the meantime?

Kogs35
07-29-2005, 01:45 PM
Just got off the phone w/ a very reliable source that travels w/ the team and he assured me that Hurt ISN'T OUT FOR THE YEAR!

GO GO GO SOX

i hope ur right.

cheeses_h_rice
07-29-2005, 01:45 PM
George Offman on the Score also reporting he's out for the year.

Vernam
07-29-2005, 01:46 PM
You are the same guy that started the "press conference" thread right? This better be true or I feel a Ban coming on!Hell, ban him just for being the bearer of such terrible news. :(:

A lot of us wanted to see Frank end his career with the Sox, but not like this. I hope the inflammation is something that time will heal, but by next spring he'll have missed the better part of two seasons. A very small ray of hope is that it's hard to imagine any other club risking much money on him, so if he's back, it will most likely be with the Sox.

I'm not going to comment on the playoff implications -- I understand everyone's concern, but to me it's as if the Bears had lost Payton heading into the '85 playoffs. If we win it all, it will be great, but there will be something missing. He deserves to be there.

At 1:46, George Offerman on WSCR said "sources indicate he'll be out for the year."

EDIT: Offerman later said he'd heard Frank might need the same surgery again. :whiner:

VC

voodoochile

GO GO GO SOX

Well, that agrees with the second report that it is at least 15 days, but no guarantees beyond that.

If this is mostly a pain management issue, then the time to rest Frank is now. Then give him a couple of AB at the end of the season to get his feet wet and have him ready for the playoffs as healthy as he can be. If we can get another 6 week run out of his ankle starting in Mid September, it will be just fine...

*voodoo crosses fingers*

*voodoo crosses toes*

*voodoo crosses nose hairs* :tongue:

anewman35
- Something else I just thought of... Frank was never on the DL, so now he's going to leave a roster spot open. Who's coming? I assume it's going to be via trade, but I wonder if they'll bring up someone in the meantime?

Um. Wrong. Frank is on the DL. Ross Gload was called up to replace him.

wdelaney72
07-29-2005, 01:47 PM

GO GO GO SOX

Was this an overheard conversaton in the airport perhaps?

Jjav829

GO GO GO SOX

No offense, but it's hard to believe you over Bruce Levine. I truly hope you have an accurate source and that he is right. But it's hard to believe you when Levine is reporting that Frank might have fractured the area around the ankle.

ChiWhiteSox1337
This sucks. I hope he's still with us on the southside in 2006. :(:

Madvora
07-29-2005, 01:48 PM
Another thing... They also told us that Buehrle was going to be out for 6 weeks and that Prior was likely out for the year.

We have 2 months before the playoffs start. That's a lot of time for Frank. Perhaps he can make it back for the playoff roster.

Kilroy
07-29-2005, 01:48 PM
Well, I meant that the update guy reported it, then it was talked about on the DP show (by whoever today's host is)

Frank was on the 15 day dl replaced by Gload. Score is reporting Frank done for the year now too. I tell ya, that will truly suck ass if it ends up being true...

voodoochile
07-29-2005, 01:49 PM
No offense, but it's hard to believe you over Bruce Levine. I truly hope you have an accurate source and that he is right. But it's hard to believe you when Levine is reporting that Frank might have fractured the area around the ankle.

Didn't hear the report (obviously) but if this is true, Frank is screwed...

Mots09
07-29-2005, 01:49 PM
I have known this gentlemen for awhile, and once I read this thread I gave him a call. He is w/ them in Balt right now and he said "He isn't out for the year."

No it wasn't at an airport :) Are you reffering to the Randy Johnson deal overheard by someone that saw KW right?

Kogs35
07-29-2005, 01:52 PM
Are you reffering to the Randy Johnson deal overheard by someone that saw KW right?

yup chisoxtony who has been trolling the boards at chicagobears.com

Kilroy
07-29-2005, 01:52 PM
I have known this gentlemen for awhile, and once I read this thread I gave him a call. He is w/ them in Balt right now and he said "He isn't out for the year."

No it wasn't at an airport :) Are you reffering to the Randy Johnson deal overheard by someone that saw KW right?

Well Chatty Cathy, call the dude back and find out JUST HOW LONG HE IS OUT FOR, ya think?? How about that??

Foulke You
07-29-2005, 01:53 PM
Damn. Hard to picture a Sox playoff run without The Big Hurt. The greatest move KW ever made might be the one he DIDN'T make and that is give in to the urge to trade Carl Everett when a gimpy Frank was crushing the ball out of the park for a 3 week stretch. Everett is now a key component in our offense full time again.

Also, don't count on Griffey coming here unless KW knocks the Reds socks off (no pun intended). This article says the Reds are probably done dealing:
http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050727/SPT04/507270393/1071

Madvora
07-29-2005, 01:53 PM
Um. Wrong. Frank is on the DL. Ross Gload was called up to replace him. Yeah, I guess you're right.

Elvisfan1977
07-29-2005, 01:55 PM
The Sox's website has nothing about Frank being out for the year... hmmm. Maybe this is KW working a trade from different angle? KW's always flying under the radar. He's a wolf in sheeps clothing.

Mots09
07-29-2005, 01:55 PM
He said he isn't out for the year, and thats all the reassurance I needed. Levine and WSCR like to break stories that don't pan out (Mark Buherle, Jon Schyer, and Shaun Livingston)

duke of dorwood
07-29-2005, 01:56 PM

I think I'm going to be sick...:chunks

We always pay well in trades-we werent gonna get any bargain anyway

Ol' No. 2
07-29-2005, 01:57 PM
I will not believe this until I hear something official. Levine is not what I would consider a reliable source. This is the same guy that said Thomas wouldn't even be back until July.

denev1

Like another DL waiting to happen.

Mots09
Bingo I agree 100% NFox. Levine is marginal as a reporter...

mccombe_35
:(: :whiner: :angry: :mad: :(: :angry: :whiner:

ChiSoxPatF
07-29-2005, 01:58 PM
Well Chatty Cathy, call the dude back and find out JUST HOW LONG HE IS OUT FOR, ya think?? How about that??

It isn't just "someone's friend." This is ESPN Radio and the Score both reporting it. This seems about as legit as possible. Even Levine is reporting it on national broadcasts.

This isn't good for the playoffs. Manny off of waivers actually sounds good right about now, let's hope Theo tempts fate.

my5thbench
07-29-2005, 02:00 PM
as soon as they said he was going to visit the surgeon, I feared

that this would be the case

best wishes Frank

Mots09
07-29-2005, 02:00 PM
ESPN1000 and The Score have been wrong on so many issues I don't trust it until a press release comes out, but I am confident of my source

rmusacch
07-29-2005, 02:01 PM

Frank got put on the DL when Gload was recalled.

Elvisfan1977
Per Bruce Levine on ESPN Radio.

ESPN radio just reporsted the White Sox have not yet commented on Thomas' condition. There is hope...

JermaineDye05
This is awful if it's true, cause this could mean the end up Frank as a member of the white sox, maybe even the end of his career

JB98
07-29-2005, 02:02 PM
I'll believe this news when I hear it from KW, Ozzie or Frank himself. If it is true, it's disappointing but not surprising. You knew something was wrong when you saw the poor swings Frank was taking against Detroit last week, and it was truly painful to watch him run. I was hoping he'd be well enough to be a part of this season, but I certainly wasn't counting on it. It's a shame he will have to sit out.

This is not a death blow for us. That's the only silver lining. We've proven we can win without Frank, and I'm confident KW will add a piece if he can find the right fit. This sucks, but fear not. We'll be OK, guys.

Soxzilla
We always pay well in trades-we werent gonna get any bargain anyway

Unless Kenny Williams already has the paperwork done to bring Manny Ramirez over here to DH. And he's just waiting till before tonite's ballgame to announce it!

I put half in teal, half in pink, because I'm not sure I'm NOT being dreamy AND sarcastic.:redface:

Kilroy
It isn't just "someone's friend." This is ESPN Radio and the Score both reporting it. This seems about as legit as possible. Even Levine is reporting it on national broadcasts.

Nah, I don't buy that for one second. Because the Score and ESPN1000 are both in the same market. If one reports something, you can bet your ass the other will report it too. They'd report it first, and try to confirm it in the meantime. But report it nonetheless...

ChiSoxPatF
07-29-2005, 02:03 PM
They claim he refractured his ankle which would mean he's out for the rest of the season and post season if its true. From what everyone was saying (on the news) before he was re-injured, if he refractured it he may be done for the career. That was why they justified not playing him at first.

Tell me thats not the case....:thud:

Madvora
07-29-2005, 02:04 PM
They claim he refractured his ankle which would mean he's out for the rest of the season and post season if its true. From what everyone was saying (on the news) before he was re-injured, if he refractured it he may be done for the career. That was why they justified not playing him at first.

Tell me thats not the case....:thud:

If that's all we get out of Frank's career, then it will be a sad day in Chicago. I still want more.

ode to veeck
07-29-2005, 02:05 PM
I am not finding confirmation of these reports anywhere on the web ...

Heffalump
07-29-2005, 02:06 PM
This is ESPN Radio and the Score both reporting it. This seems about as legit as possible.

Didn't you mean to put this in teal???

robin23
07-29-2005, 02:07 PM
To echo some thoughts here, I won't believe this until I hear an official from the organization say it.

I trust Levine about as far as I can throw him.

R

Jjav829
07-29-2005, 02:07 PM
I am not finding confirmation of these reports anywhere on the web ...

You're not likely to find anything on the web until the Sox confirm this. If Kenny is currently in talks to acquire a hitter, there's a very good chance he (and Ozzie, Frank, etc.) will wait as long as possible to confirm it.

Jaffar
07-29-2005, 02:09 PM
I don't see the Sox confirming this 48 hours before the trade deadline.

ChiSoxPatF
Didn't you mean to put this in teal???

Sorry, I'm cynical but I actually trust the radio stations, about as much as you can of any Chicago media.

Someone get Greg Norton on the phone.

Foulke You
ESPN radio just reporsted the White Sox have not yet commented on Thomas' condition. There is hope...
Perhaps they are waiting for a 2nd doctor's opinion before officially commenting or as another poster pointed out, they could be witholding information because it could hurt KW's bargaining position in a possible trade if a team like the Reds knew that Frank was out.

Heffalump
07-29-2005, 02:11 PM
If this is true, then it really sucks, as I truly wanted Frank to be a part of this season.

On the other hand, the majority of our success this season was accomplished through pitching, defense, and Crazy Carl in the DH spot, so as long as these areas keep producing we should be good to go.

<crossing fingers that recent defensive lapses are not going to continue>

Anyhow, I have complete trust in KW that he will make a move to help the team IF it is possible.

balke
07-29-2005, 02:11 PM
ESPN1000 and The Score have been wrong on so many issues I don't trust it until a press release comes out, but I am confident of my source

Unless its Herm Kenny, JR, the surgeon or Frank... how would they even know? I don't trust anyone right now. EVERYONE IS THE ENEMY! I need to hear details, and quotes from White Sox staff. Levine doesn't do it anymore.

RKMeibalane
07-29-2005, 02:12 PM
What a noble foot is here o'erthrown! :o:

Someone warm RKM. This could be the news that finally brings on the aneurysm. :(:

No aneurysm, fortunately.

It's a shame he won't be able to play anymore this season. I guess the only thing left to do is win the whole damn thing for the big guy.

Ol' No. 2
07-29-2005, 02:13 PM
You're not likely to find anything on the web until the Sox confirm this. If Kenny is currently in talks to acquire a hitter, there's a very good chance he (and Ozzie, Frank, etc.) will wait as long as possible to confirm it.If that's the case they sure as hell wouldn't have told Bruce Levine.

TaylorStSox
07-29-2005, 02:13 PM
Unless its Herm Kenny, JR, the surgeon or Frank... how would they even know? I don't trust anyone right now. EVERYONE IS THE ENEMY! I need to hear details, and quotes from White Sox staff. Levine doesn't do it anymore.

Should this be teal?

I believe it. Sometimes, ankel injuries take up to 2 years to completely heal. I think he can come back though. Despite his weight and age, Ventura and Jenkins came back from much worse.

RKMeibalane
07-29-2005, 02:15 PM

GO GO GO SOX

Are you trying to get banned?

kittle42
07-29-2005, 02:15 PM
I think everyone's rush to rip Levine (while justified usually) is really just hope beyond hope that Frank isn't done. However, I don't think there weren't a lot of us who already thought it when he went back on the DL.

Jjav829
07-29-2005, 02:16 PM
If that's the case they sure as hell wouldn't have told Bruce Levine.

Well I doubt they went directly to Levine with the information. I'm sure Levine and Ofman have other sources within the organization that are giving them information. I seriously doubt Kenny got this news and immediately dialed Levine to let him know.

TaylorStSox
07-29-2005, 02:17 PM
I think we should look at the bigger picture. Meaning, will Frank ever wear a Sox, or any teams, uniform again. I really think he can come back from this and make another run at 500.

Baby Fisk
07-29-2005, 02:23 PM
No aneurysm, fortunately.

It's a shame he won't be able to play anymore this season. I guess the only thing left to do is win the whole damn thing for the big guy.
Glad we didn't lose you. (but I'm having stomach pains)

As for this "radio sources" vs "my reliable sources" brinksmanship: bear in mind this is an opinion coming from far away, but could this have been fed to the radio station for reporting on air in order to flush out the real story from the Sox organization prior to the trade deadline? Conspiracies abound in my mind...

Ol' No. 2
07-29-2005, 02:25 PM
Well I doubt they went directly to Levine with the information. I'm sure Levine and Ofman have other sources within the organization that are giving them information. I seriously doubt Kenny got this news and immediately dialed Levine to let him know.Somehow I doubt this. If Kenny wanted to keep it on the QT, he would tell only people he could trust to keep their mouths shut. With the weekend coming it would be relatively easy to keep the information limited. It's not as if this is information that would have to be shared with everyone in the organization. So either Kenny has a serious leak problem, or Levine took something he heard and embellished it. Which do you think is more likely?

BigEdWalsh
07-29-2005, 02:26 PM
I wouldn't say this turn of events is devasting but it sure does suck. I echo the thoughts of many who had really hoped that Frank could be a part of the stretch run and what might come after. What ever the future holds for Frank, best of luck, Big Hurt!:sunshine:

balke
07-29-2005, 02:26 PM
Should this be teal?

I believe it. Sometimes, ankel injuries take up to 2 years to completely heal. I think he can come back though. Despite his weight and age, Ventura and Jenkins came back from much worse.

No teal needed. Levine is almost as bad as Gammons with his trade rumors and reporting, examples already stated within this thread. For me, its not clear how long Frank is out until tonight when someone from the Sox organization comments on it. I do believe he is out longer than 15 days, I don't necessarily believe he refractured his ankle. We'll find out.

batmanZoSo
07-29-2005, 02:29 PM
You know what would be perfect is we end up winning the World Series with Frank watching from the sidelines. That's just how his career has panned out. Nothing ever goes right for the big man.

tebman
07-29-2005, 02:32 PM
:tomatoaward This tomato's for you, Big Guy!

Madvora
07-29-2005, 02:36 PM
Doesn't 2 months seem like a real long time for someone?

He didn't just get his leg snapped in half or anything and he didn't have a serious injury in the middle of a play or anything.
I'm going to take up the stance of refusing to believe that we've seen the last of The Big Hurt.

He will be back in time for the playoffs, though I don't know how smart it would be to put a guy who's got 2 months of rust on him back in the starting lineup.

putherawaywet
07-29-2005, 02:39 PM
In my opinion, there is no way the white sox would have released this news just prior to the trade deadline because it hurts them in negotiations. Any news on his injury should have been kept quiet for another 48 hours. Being as shrewd as KW is, I would suspect that this would be his intention. Because Bruuuuuuuuuuce felt the need to unofficially break this story, the Sox will look desperate at the bargaining table. It makes no sense whatsoever to release this information because the only possible effects are negative. :angry:

TaylorStSox
07-29-2005, 02:43 PM

He didn't just get his leg snapped in half or anything and he didn't have a serious injury in the middle of a play or anything.
I'm going to take up the stance of refusing to believe that we've seen the last of The Big Hurt.

He will be back in time for the playoffs, though I don't know how smart it would be to put a guy who's got 2 months of rust on him back in the starting lineup.

As people have said before, the original ankle injury was serious. These type of injuries can take up to 2 YEARS to properly heal. Obviously, he rushed back too soon.

Ol' No. 2
07-29-2005, 02:44 PM

He will be back in time for the playoffs, though I don't know how smart it would be to put a guy who's got 2 months of rust on him back in the starting lineup.If it's re-fractured, he will, indeed, be out for the year. Anything short of that, I would think, would not necessitate such a long time on the DL. As Beckett pointed out earlier, these type of injuries often take a long time to heal, and he probably won't be 100% for a long time, if ever again. But that doesn't mean he couldn't play.

My guess: Levine heard something like "Frank will be out significantly longer than was first thought" and, being Levineline, immediately jumped to the worst possible conclusion.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-29-2005, 02:45 PM
In my opinion, there is no way the white sox would have released this news just prior to the trade deadline because it hurts them in negotiations. Any news on his injury should have been kept quiet for another 48 hours. Being as shrewd as KW is, I would suspect that this would be his intention. Because Bruuuuuuuuuuce felt the need to unofficially break this story, the Sox will look desperate at the bargaining table. It makes no sense whatsoever to release this information because the only possible effects are negative.

I completely agree. In fact I'm anxious to hear what KW has to say when he finally does speak out about Frank's condition and prognosis for the remainder of the year. It ought to be verrrrry interesting.
:cool:

http://images.radcity.net/5176/584831.jpg
"Kenny, if I were a bumblebee and you were a flower, how would you attract me?"

:KW
"I would break your ****ing spleen, you ***damned stupid mother****ing sonofabitch!!!"

harwar
07-29-2005, 02:47 PM
The score is reporting that franks' doctor said that he has a second fracture.
Gone for year i guess.
All i can say is ... ****!!!!!!!!!!!

StepsInSC
07-29-2005, 02:48 PM
Frank.....no......I love you. :whiner:

Jerko
07-29-2005, 02:49 PM
In my opinion, there is no way the white sox would have released this news just prior to the trade deadline because it hurts them in negotiations. Any news on his injury should have been kept quiet for another 48 hours. Being as shrewd as KW is, I would suspect that this would be his intention. Because Bruuuuuuuuuuce felt the need to unofficially break this story, the Sox will look desperate at the bargaining table. It makes no sense whatsoever to release this information because the only possible effects are negative. :angry:

I was too upset about the big man that I didn't even think of this. C'mon Levine, shut yer trap till Monday. :angry:

Stroker Ace
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Now I think KW should look to get a bat. Even though we won earlier without him, but we need some insurance. We can't afford a situation where Everett is hurt later in the season.

Madvora
Well thanks for the updates, I know nothing about the healing process.

I expect KW to address this at a press conference on Sunday when he's talking about the newest acquisitions. Someone will ask, "What's the status of Frank Thomas" and he'll have his answer then.

Domeshot17
07-29-2005, 02:50 PM
ESPN NEWS and ESPN1000 radio are reporting Big Frank is out for the season. While it is devastating news for the Sox, I think this almost forces Kenny to go get a bat. Any thoughts as to how soon we will see Aubrey Huff in black and white?

sox1malone84
07-29-2005, 02:50 PM

Maybe the Sox have already traded for someone. Maybe they will tell us at the press conference. You never know. It does sound fishy, doesn't it.

Erik The Red
07-29-2005, 02:51 PM
Check the Clubhouse, there's already a huge thread.

Domeshot17
07-29-2005, 02:53 PM
Sorry, had the whats the score group open before I checked it out, apologies.

The Dude
07-29-2005, 02:54 PM
Maybe the Sox have already traded for someone. Maybe they will tell us at the press conference. You never know. It does sound fishy, doesn't it.

Maybe they traded Shingo and Vizz for D Lee. You never know.:D:

PaleHoseGeorge
We need WSI's Official Podiatrist to weigh in on this matter.

Somebody get Beckett21 a microphone and telestrator to explain to us all the intracies of Frank's condition.

http://www.nndb.com/people/798/000023729/john-madden.jpg
"And Frank's foot goes this way -- BOOM!"

:wink:

Madvora
No chance, because the word would get out on the other end at least.

Foulke You
07-29-2005, 02:55 PM
"Kenny, if I were a bumblebee and you were a flower, how would you attract me?"
:roflmao: That pic and caption are priceless.

MsSoxVixen22
07-29-2005, 02:55 PM
OK everyone all t/g........DEEP BREATH...... followed by one of these :gulp: It sucks about Frank but KW will not leave us hanging. I have faith that he'll get someone more than qualified to fill in for Frank. Let's not all go to pieces before we know anything for sure. I'm like the rest of you, lets here it from someone from Sox camp, (Ozzie, KW) All we can do is hope for a miracle and Frank has a speedy recovery. If anything this will make the Sox wanna bag this puppy for Frank. Lets keep our fingers crossed and try and remain positive.

Madvora
07-29-2005, 03:00 PM
Elvisfan1977 may just have started the two most popular threads of all time.

Evman5
07-29-2005, 03:03 PM
Thomas out for year official release (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20050729&content_id=1149360&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws)

There it is on the official White Sox website.

bumptious96
LINK:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2119802

sox1malone84

Why would you bring that up again?

nedlug
07-29-2005, 03:04 PM

Shingo AND Viz? Talk about overpaying b/c of Frank's injury...

By the way, where is this infamous "Press Conference" Thread? I searched for it, and couldn't find it anywhere... help, please?

Tom~Attitude
07-29-2005, 03:04 PM
Here it is...Thomas likely out for season

The Associated Press
Published July 29, 2005, 2:57 PM CDT

White Sox slugger Frank Thomas has suffered a fracture to his surgically repaired left foot and likely will miss the rest of the season, his doctor said Friday.

The injury did not appear to be career-ending, Los Angeles-based surgeon Dr. Richard Ferkel said.

The White Sox placed the two-time league Most Valuable Player on the 15-day disabled list retroactive to July 21 with inflammation in the foot. He was batting .219 with 12 home runs and 26 RBIs in 34 games after starting the season on the disabled list.

"The plan for Frank will be to immobilize him in a cast and follow him with sequential x-rays until the fracture is healed," Ferkel said in a statement. "If the fracture does not heal with conservative treatment, he may require additional surgery in the future."

sox1malone84
07-29-2005, 03:05 PM
No chance, because the word would get out on the other end at least.

Ok dude we'll see. You remember what happened last year.

JRIG
07-29-2005, 03:05 PM
OK. I was waiting for something official.

****. ****. That is some incredibly disappointing news.

And just as I was about to get my Frank Thomas #35 jersey in the mail.

riverside marked as a troll again
07-29-2005, 03:06 PM
:ohno

Kilroy
07-29-2005, 03:06 PM
http://www.mromelettemd.com/corporate/images/faceeggs.jpg

Alright, Bruce Levine, I take it all back...

The Dude
07-29-2005, 03:07 PM
Why would you bring that up again?

Because it's immortalized in WSI lore and still gives me a good laugh.:cool:

Jjav829
07-29-2005, 03:07 PM
Thomas out for year official release (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20050729&content_id=1149360&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws)

There it is on the official White Sox website.

Well, at least this is official now and we can actually discuss the ramifications for the team, rather than just have a thread ripping on Levine.

MERPER
07-29-2005, 03:09 PM
Kenny Williams just had a conference all for the media....

It's actually another fracture in the ankle, and Frank will be in a cast for 6-8 weeks... then rehab...

He said this does not effect trade scenarios as they have pursued every avenue... according to Kenny, there are no trades that look to be available but he is aggressively pursuing many things still!

Truly a sad day for the Sox and the big man :whiner:

TaylorStSox
One thing I'm not optimistic about is waiting to see if the fracture heals itself. I wish they'd just operate and get it done with. If the fracture doesn't heal and they wait for surgery, it might well be the last of Frank we see.

sox1malone84
Because it's immortalized in WSI lore and still gives me a good laugh.:cool:

Ok whatever. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Very funny.

hose
07-29-2005, 03:11 PM
It's a sad day to see Frank done for the year and probably finished as a White Sox.

Greatest hitter in White Sox history and a HoFer.

TornLabrum
07-29-2005, 03:11 PM
I'm sorry to hear this, but we do need to remember, we won without Thomas and we won with him. It's a blow, but it certainly is nowhere near a fatal one.

Craig Grebeck
07-29-2005, 03:12 PM
Above all else, I just feel bad for Frank...the man just can not seem to catch a break

Let's win him a ring!

Vernam
07-29-2005, 03:13 PM
In my opinion, there is no way the white sox would have released this news just prior to the trade deadline because it hurts them in negotiations. Any news on his injury should have been kept quiet for another 48 hours. Being as shrewd as KW is, I would suspect that this would be his intention. Because Bruuuuuuuuuuce felt the need to unofficially break this story, the Sox will look desperate at the bargaining table. It makes no sense whatsoever to release this information because the only possible effects are negative. :angry:That crossed my mind, but MLB GMs are smart enough to see what was going on with Frank. I'm sure that won't keep KW from being p*ssed, though.

VC

LVSoxFan
Man, he looked shaky when he came back, I was always holding my breath. Not his hitting but his running--it seemed so awkward, like he wasn't really 100%. And now this. Ouch.

hose
Frank still is in line to get his ring this year.:cool:

Kilroy
One thing I'm not optimistic about is waiting to see if the fracture heals itself. I wish they'd just operate and get it done with. If the fracture doesn't heal and they wait for surgery, it might well be the last of Frank we see.

After hearing KW talking about Frank on the score a few moments ago, and knowing how proud Frank is to have been w/ the Sox his whole career and wants to finish here, I feel pretty good about Frank returning to the Sox.

KW admitted that he and Frank didn't get along too well a few years back, but after seeing how Frank has handled everything that's happened the last few years, from injury to mgmt changes to personell changes, KW said that Frank has converted him into a Big Hurt fan, and that he's earned quite a bit in his eyes...

UofCSoxFan
07-29-2005, 03:14 PM
Ok...so how long before Willie Harris runs into our right fielder and wipes this season out?....not sure if that should be in teal or not...we need a color for hoping something doesn't happen.

:(:

PaleHoseGeorge
Well, at least this is official now and we can actually discuss the ramifications for the team, rather than just have a thread ripping on Levine.

Hey, it's always the right time to rip on Levine.
:wink:

"Jjav, if we were stranded together on a deserted island, how would you serve me my favorite coconut banana daiquiris in bed?"

sox1malone84
Kenny Williams just had a conference all for the media....

It's actually another fracture in the ankle, and Frank will be in a cast for 6-8 weeks... then rehab...

He said this does not effect trade scenarios as they have pursued every avenue... according to Kenny, there are no trades that look to be available but he is aggressively pursuing many things still!

Truly a sad day for the Sox and the big man :whiner:

When a GM says there are no trades available, there are. So why bring that up? He didn't say that, so don't bring that up. Thank You. No hard feelings. :gulp:

Sxy Mofo
You guys who are bears fans remember the sick feeling you had when Rex went down in the final seconds vs. the Vikings? Where you just knew the season was over in week 3? Yea?

Well I DON'T have that feeling right now. As great a player as frank was/is, he's not the reason the sox are as good as they are this year. He was the reason for the success in past years, but not this one. He was a piece of the puzzle this year. Not the most important one.

TimChamp
07-29-2005, 03:15 PM
Here it is...Thomas likely out for season

The Associated Press
Published July 29, 2005, 2:57 PM CDT

White Sox slugger Frank Thomas has suffered a fracture to his surgically repaired left foot and likely will miss the rest of the season, his doctor said Friday.

The injury did not appear to be career-ending, Los Angeles-based surgeon Dr. Richard Ferkel said.

The White Sox placed the two-time league Most Valuable Player on the 15-day disabled list retroactive to July 21 with inflammation in the foot. He was batting .219 with 12 home runs and 26 RBIs in 34 games after starting the season on the disabled list.

"The plan for Frank will be to immobilize him in a cast and follow him with sequential x-rays until the fracture is healed," Ferkel said in a statement. "If the fracture does not heal with conservative treatment, he may require additional surgery in the future."

Oh wow! This is just too bad, now we definitely need to get Huff!

Do you think the D-Rays would take this trade:
Huff and Baez for Konerko, Borchard, and pitching prospect (low-level)?

I put it in teal and in italics because I am calling it the "sarcastic teal" (I say that because I really want this deal done, but at the same time do not want to get crucified by the "League of Extraordinary aPaulogists" out there...Oh well.

--Champ out to see what happens

harwar
07-29-2005, 03:15 PM
I'm wondering who the White sox can get now.
I've got the cub game on and Tony Clark would be perfect( 330 ave/16 hr/52 rbi/22 runs)if az would just give him up.

UofCSoxFan
07-29-2005, 03:16 PM
You guys who are bears fans remember the sick feeling you had when Rex went down in the final seconds vs. the Vikings? Where you just knew the season was over in week 3? Yea?

Well I DON'T have that feeling right now. As great a player as frank was/is, he's not the reason the sox are as good as they are this year. He was the reason for the success in past years, but not this one. He was a piece of the puzzle this year. Not the most important one.

I was at that game..and I wanted to punch the nearest purple thing I could find.

tstrike2000
07-29-2005, 03:18 PM
It's a sad day to see Frank done for the year and probably finished as a White Sox.

Greatest hitter in White Sox history and a HoFer.

That is it in a nutshell. Unless there's another huge restructuring deal, we don't know the Sox aren't going to make this the end of his career here on the south side.

Sxy Mofo
07-29-2005, 03:19 PM
I was at that game..and I wanted to punch the nearest purple thing I could find.

Usually I take sports too seriously, but that was one of the only games i've ever actually felt physically sick because of an event.

Nyls Nyman
07-29-2005, 03:21 PM
If they decide to transfer Frank to the 60-day DL, does this free up another space on the 40-man roster?

sox1malone84
Merper. I'm sorry. I'm just in an attacking mood today since Frank is out for the rest of the year. Hopefully, you don't take it the wrong way.

JRIG
...and the Thomas/Bagwell "separated at birth" saga continues.

That's pretty amazing.

34 Inch Stick
07-29-2005, 03:22 PM

The purple helmet? In public!

TaylorStSox

That's pretty amazing.

I wish he would have hit 1 more to tie.

Sxy Mofo
That is it in a nutshell. Unless there's another huge restructuring deal, we don't know the Sox aren't going to make this the end of his career here on the south side.

I'm going to hold on to my eternal hope as a chicago fan that no team will really offer him much money because of the two foot injuries, and he might take a relatively small amount to stay, play and eventually retire on the south side.

Sometimes i live in a dream world. I hope this is not one of those cases.

JRIG
07-29-2005, 03:26 PM
I'm going to hold on to my eternal hope as a chicago fan that no team will really offer him much money because of the two foot injuries, and he might take a relatively small amount to stay, play and eventually retire on the south side.

Sometimes i live in a dream world. I hope this is not one of those cases.

I think this is a very likely scenario. Who's going to give him any kind of guaranteed $$ after the past two years? It would be a huge risk. JR loves Frank, apparently KW does now too. Is it that far out of reality to say that they somehow agree to a $1 million contract with a ****load of incentives? Christ, we paid Timo ****ing Perez $1 million this year. Even an injured Frank is worth that.

I think a lot depends on how badly Frank wants to end his career here in Chicago. I believe he does.

UofCSoxFan
07-29-2005, 03:26 PM
Oh wow! This is just too bad, now we definitely need to get Huff!

Do you think the D-Rays would take this trade:
Huff and Baez for Konerko, Borchard, and pitching prospect (low-level)?

I put it in teal and in italics because I am calling it the "sarcastic teal" (I say that because I really want this deal done, but at the same time do not want to get crucified by the "League of Extraordinary aPaulogists" out there...Oh well.

--Champ out to see what happens

So the D-Rays would trade for a guy who is gonna be a free agent in 3 months, a busted outfielder (they already have a ton of OF prospects), and a pitcher that even if he pans out won't be ready for 3 or 4 years at the earliest? Makes sense.

Still not as bad as the post on the White Sox.com board that had the sox trading Dye and Uribe for Manny Ramerez and Konerko and Shingo for Mariano Rivera...he lists the lineup as Thomas playing first (this was posted today too), Suzuki at 2B (meaning Iguchi I believe), and Timo being an everyday starter. My God is it Sunday yet?

Heffalump
07-29-2005, 03:27 PM
say it ain't so, Frank !!

<cries on the courthouse steps>

MushMouth
07-29-2005, 03:27 PM
I think this is a very likely scenario. Who's going to give him any kind of guaranteed $$ after the past two years? It would be a huge risk. JR loves Frank, apparently KW does now too. Is it that far out of reality to say that they somehow agree to a $1 million contract with a ****load of incentives? Christ, we paid Timo ****ing Perez $1 million this year. Even an injured Frank is worth that.

I think a lot depends on how badly Frank wants to end his career here in Chicago. I believe he does.

I think we can keep him - we might have to give him a 2-year contract, but if we load it with incentives, I don't think many other teams will want to risk having his ankles on their roster.

UofCSoxFan
07-29-2005, 03:29 PM
The purple helmet? In public!

So...I already got the equivalent of being punched there when Jon Quinn threw 4 straight incompletions on the last drive of the game.

Lip Man 1
07-29-2005, 03:30 PM
The Tribune now has the AP story on its web site.

What struck me in reading it is that the 'treatment' sounds exactly like the injury last year. i.e. rest, a series of x-rays to see if it is healing and then a determination if future surgery is needed.

Those of you old enough may remember Bill Walton in the late 70's or Sam Bowie in the 80's. This sounds now like a chronic condition to me.

Unfortunately this could have been Frank's final season simply because even if he does rest, rehab and heal, who is to say this doesn't happen again next season? Frank will be 38 not 28.

Certainly it is now going to change the Sox attitude towards him regarding a deal next season.

It's a damn shame that at least he couldn't have nailed two more home runs to hit the 450 mark.

Part of me is saying 'typical Sox luck,' that in a season where the Sox may finally get to a World Series, Frank is going to miss out. Part of me is also hoping that 'karma' regarding injuries doesn't start to turn out for the Sox like it did in July 2000 when Cal Eldred walked off the mound against St. Louis which begat a run of them decimating the pitching staff.

Make the moves Kenny, trade the entire farm system if you have to....you can always draft more kids next year but will you have a chance to go to the Series?

Lip

BeviBall!
07-29-2005, 03:30 PM

That's pretty amazing.

It really is. Only thing left is to go to Cooperstown together.

Mr. White Sox
07-29-2005, 03:31 PM

GO GO GO SOX

Will you:
A. Shoot your source for being dumb
B. Get Banned
C. Leave the boards for a while until the shock of being wrong wears off
:smile:

Sxy Mofo
So...I already got the equivalent of being punched there when Jon Quinn threw 4 straight incompletions on the last drive of the game.

Yea, rex seeing rex carted off the field made me sick. Seeing quinn throw passes made me want to shoot myself.

UofCSoxFan
Correct me if I'm wrong...but being at the Monday game against the Tigers, I may have seen Frank's last homerun in a Sox uniform. :(

That being said, I was at the sox season finale the year before Frank signed his extension...I thought I had seen his last at-bat in a Sox uniform then (a 45 hopper off a check swing to first).

BeviBall!
part of me is also hoping that 'karma' regarding injuries doesn't start to turn out for the Sox like it did in July 2000 when Cal Eldred walked off the mound against St. Louis which begat a run of them decimating the pitching staff.

Make the moves Kenny, trade the entire farm system if you have to....you can also draft more kids next year but will you have a chance to go to the Series?

Lip

IT is starting to feel very 2000 around here. Fortunately, KW has time to rectify the situation.

minastirith67
07-29-2005, 03:33 PM
Man, I am really bummed out now. This doesn't kill the Sox's playoff chances by any means, but I still really miss Frank and his bat. This news honestly makes me want to cry. The only thing that will make me feel better is a championship.

Let's go go go White Sox!!

elrod
07-29-2005, 03:34 PM
I'm not overly concerned with not having Frank in the lineup. Carl has been a great DH, and he can actually run. While it was very exciting to see Frank get all those home runs, they were getting further and further apart, as his overall batting average dropped. He just wasn't 100%. I still think our biggest need is a bullpen arm, and preferably Eddie Guardado.

JRIG
07-29-2005, 03:36 PM
I'm not overly concerned with not having Frank in the lineup. Carl has been a great DH, and he can actually run. While it was very exciting to see Frank get all those home runs, they were getting further and further apart, as his overall batting average dropped. He just wasn't 100%. I still think our biggest need is a bullpen arm, and preferably Eddie Guardado.

Everett's been barely adequate as our DH. A .258/.307/.452 line is not what you need out of your #3 hitter.

A bat is now no doubt the #1 priority for this team at the deadline.

Sxy Mofo

I really hope that's what happens. Small base, butt-load of incentives.

ChicagoHoosier
IT is starting to feel very 2000 around here. Fortunately, KW has time to rectify the situation.

VERY different team than 2000. Let's all calm down here and remember how well we played before Frank returned to the lineup. Let's rally around this and kick some ass during the next few weeks of tough competition. A trade would be great, but we still can only speculate. In the meantime, we did pretty well before Frank was in the lineup this year.

TaylorStSox

This team would wipe the floor with that team. That team was beyond bad defensively. That pitching staff was decimated beyond repair.

UofCSoxFan
07-29-2005, 03:37 PM
:chickenlittle IT is starting to feel very 2000 around here. Fortunately, KW has time to rectify the situation.

In all reality it really is. I mean best record...only to have a mediocre second half and have to face a red-hot team in the first round (Seattle won a ridiculous amount of games in the last month to make the playoffs...Oakland is on a tear now)...injuries left and right.....uggh.

Still, this is a much better team than 2000, and injuries to pitchers are much more detrimental than to guys hitting .219. NO MORE INJURIES!

Chisox353014
07-29-2005, 03:40 PM
This team would wipe the floor with that team. That team was beyond bad defensively. That pitching staff was decimated beyond repair.

No doubt about that. Jim Parque was our #1 starter in that playoff series. :o:

Jjav829
07-29-2005, 03:41 PM
http://images.ibsys.com/2001/0905/945865.jpg
"We will rally around (insert acquired bat here) and we will play good baseball, and some players that are playing good will play better. But that doesn't mean it doesn't hurt."

For those who aren't the biggest football fans, this is what weepy Dick Vermeil said after the Rams lost Trent Green to a torn ACL before the 1999 season. The player he was talking about rallying around was none other than Kurt Warner. Our situation is a little different as we weren't relying on Frank quite as much, but I think it's a good quote for our situation nonetheless.

Madvora
07-29-2005, 03:42 PM
In all reality it really is. I mean best record...only to have a mediocre second half and have to face a red-hot team in the first round (Seattle won a ridiculous amount of games in the last month to make the playoffs...Oakland is on a tear now)...injuries left and right.....uggh.

Still, this is a much better team than 2000, and injuries to pitchers are much more detrimental than to guys hitting .219. NO MORE INJURIES!
I agree. I don't feel like the Sox are any less likely to win the World Series this year at all. I still think they can do it. They made it far enough with out him early in the season and I think they can still be a great team after they make a trade to replace him, and yes they will do this.
I would love to have Frank in there because he was really going nuts with the power for a while, but hey... I'm still happy to be dominating this division so much. We're going to the playoff no matter what and we'll be an even better team in 2 days.
Win one for the Gipper!

JRIG
07-29-2005, 03:43 PM
http://images.ibsys.com/2001/0905/945865.jpg
"We will rally around Adam Dunn and we will play good baseball, and some players that are playing good will play better. But that doesn't mean it doesn't hurt."

For those who aren't the biggest football fans, this is what weepy Dick Vermeil said after the Rams lost Trent Green to a torn ACL before the 1999 season. The player he was talking about rallying around was none other than Kurt Warner. Our situation is a little different as we weren't relying on Frank quite as much, but I think it's a good quote for our situation nonetheless.

There, I fixed it for you.

UofCSoxFan
07-29-2005, 03:43 PM
I hope whoever we have replace Frank has a better looking wife than Kurt Warner has :)

Lip Man 1
07-29-2005, 03:44 PM
From the White Sox site:

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20050729&content_id=1149360&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this the 4th injury to that ankle/foot?

96 - hairline fracture of ankle missed about six weeks
99 - golf ball size bone spur
04 - fractured ankle
05 - refractured ankle

Lip

PaleHoseGeorge
07-29-2005, 03:45 PM
No doubt about that. Jim Parque was our #1 starter in that playoff series. :o:

And yet it was Parque, Sirotka, and Baldwin who pitched their hearts out and would have won all three games if our A.L. best offense had shown up.
:o: :o:

I'm sure Downstairs is around here somewhere to explain why he could have predicted all of this October frustration based on his "analysis" of how the '00 Sox played in July, August, and September... but so far he has seen fit not to take the bait I offered him.

Smart move.

sox1malone84
07-29-2005, 03:46 PM
I guess we aren't going to be trading for anyone. There are sources out there that are saying we are, and than there are some that are saying we aren't. I don't know who to believe.

Madvora
07-29-2005, 03:47 PM
Oh God, Harry on MJH just asked Bill Melton if the Sox should bring up Greg Norton and give him a chance!

Sxy Mofo
07-29-2005, 03:47 PM
I heard the card's are getting sick of pujols consistency. I think KW should check into a trade.

There. Teal. Time #2.

Sxy Mofo
07-29-2005, 03:49 PM
And yet it was Parque, Sirotka, and Baldwin who pitched their hearts out and would have won all three games if our A.L. best offense had shown up.
:o: :o:

Pretty much. At least this sox team is used to having to pull games out with sucky offense.

JRIG
07-29-2005, 03:51 PM
Oh God, Harry on MJH just asked Bill Melton if the Sox should bring up Greg Norton and give him a chance!

It's not the worst idea in the world. Norton is hitting the ball very well at Charlotte. And he could spell Crede at 3B if his back acts up.

I mean...if nothing pans out via trade it wouldn't be that horrible to have him up with the big club at some point.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-29-2005, 03:52 PM
Pretty much. At least this sox team is used to having to pull games out with sucky offense.

We're tempting fate if we plan on winning with this sucky offense minus Frank or any suitable replacement.

Madvora
07-29-2005, 03:53 PM
It's not the worst idea in the world. Norton is hitting the ball very well at Charlotte. And he could spell Crede at 3B if his back acts up.

I mean...if nothing pans out via trade it wouldn't be that horrible to have him up with the big club at some point.
Come on, that would be horrible. Does that look like a World Series ready team to you?
Don't worry about it anyway, it's not going to happen. We'll see what the team looks like in two days.

mr_genius
07-29-2005, 03:55 PM
We're tempting fate if we plan on winning with this sucky offense minus Frank or any suitable replacement.

i totally agree

i guess crazy carl is the replacement... until we sign Manny Ramirez!

Andy T Clown
ARGGH!!!!!!!!!!!

:angry: :(: :o: :dtroll: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp:
Get well soon Frank.

I_Liked_Manuel
all i heard all offseason is that if we need a player or two at the deadline, JR would pony up the money and let kenny make a trade or two. well, that time is here and we need a reliever and a bat. time to put your money where your mouth is JR/KW. i don't want to hear excuses, i want to see results.

Baby Fisk
07-29-2005, 03:58 PM
I luv "reliable sources".

Foulke You
07-29-2005, 04:01 PM
I heard the card's are getting sick of pujols consistency. I think KW should check into a trade.
Why would we do that when we are going to be claiming Manny Ramirez off waivers?

BeviBall!
07-29-2005, 04:02 PM
VERY different team than 2000. Let's all calm down here and remember how well we played before Frank returned to the lineup. Let's rally around this and kick some ass during the next few weeks of tough competition. A trade would be great, but we still can only speculate. In the meantime, we did pretty well before Frank was in the lineup this year.

Totally different teams... but the injury bug bites the same.

TaylorStSox
07-29-2005, 04:02 PM
Totally different teams... but the injury bug bites the same.

Not even close. We've relatively injury free compared to 2000.

russ99
07-29-2005, 04:03 PM

That's pretty amazing.

....and both will be in the Hall of Fame

Foulke You
07-29-2005, 04:03 PM
Everett's been barely adequate as our DH. A .258/.307/.452 line is not what you need out of your #3 hitter.

A bat is now no doubt the #1 priority for this team at the deadline.
While I agree that a bat is a top priority, I wouldn't say Everett has been "barely" adequate. I would say he has been serviceable. He is still 2nd on the team in RBI with 57 despite having his playing time split with Thomas in the last month. I would like to see him get his avg up though. Everett is better than a .258 hitter.

BeviBall!
07-29-2005, 04:05 PM
Not even close. We've relatively injury free compared to 2000.

So far. But still you've got Frank going down twice, Crede's back, Dustin's back, El Duque on the shelf twice, Marte. Hardly a clean bill of health on a team that has little to no depth right now.

SpammySosa
07-29-2005, 04:07 PM
This wasn't the news I wanted to come home from work and find out.My dog dying,the house burning down-those things would have been better alternatives-especially since I don't have a dog and I rent an apartment.The sky isn't falling and the Sox can do well without Big Frank.But anyone who knows what he has meant to this team for so long can understand the frustration of seeing him lose the opportunity yet again to do what he does best.

ChiSoxPatF
07-29-2005, 04:07 PM
:tomatoaward :tomatoaward

Two very sad tomatoes :whiner:

JRIG
07-29-2005, 04:08 PM
While I agree that a bat is a top priority, I wouldn't say Everett has been "barely" adequate. I would say he has been serviceable. He is still 2nd on the team in RBI with 57 despite having his playing time split with Thomas in the last month. I would like to see him get his avg up though. Everett is better than a .258 hitter.

You say serviceable, I say barely adequate. Tuh-may-toe, tuh-mah-toe. Kind of splitting hairs, no? :D:

We need an upgrade in that slot, no doubt about it.

TaylorStSox
07-29-2005, 04:08 PM
So far. But still you've got Frank going down twice, Crede's back, Dustin's back, El Duque on the shelf twice, Marte. Hardly a clean bill of health on a team that has little to no depth right now.

In 2000 you had 3 pitchers that never really pitched again. Crede and Hermanson have been able to play through their injuries. Marte's the 4th man out of the pen. El Duque's the 5th starter. It's not even comparable.

DSpivack
07-29-2005, 04:10 PM
This team has the record it does because of excellent play without Frank. We were much better with him when he was on a tear, but his last couple weeks he wasn't doing anything. In it of itself I really don't see this as a big loss to the makeup of the team. Frank didn't play that well this year.

That said, our offense hasn't been playing that well recently and the bullpen seems a little thin. That said, we still have an above-average offense, a great rotation, and a very solid back end of the bullpen.

Sure, we could use an arm and a bat, but we still have the best record in baseball. It is NOT the end of the world, people.

kojak
07-29-2005, 04:11 PM
Every year, like the pidgeons returning to Capistrano... :cool:

charlotteknights
07-29-2005, 04:12 PM
Bring up Greg Norton??? He is constantly down with back problems in Charlotte. He just tries to play through as much of the pain as he can. He was even entertaining the thought of retiring this year. I don't really think that he'd be the answer for Crede.

Lip Man 1
07-29-2005, 04:13 PM
Doing a rough estimate of Frank's five injuries it appears that he's missed about two full years. To bad....if he was healthy he'd be around 525 home runs right now.

Ken Williams comments about Frank now in the AP story on the Tribune. I guess no one can expect him to say anything different right now. "Williams said it was too early to decide if Thomas would return to the White Sox next season."

Far be it from me to defend Uncle Jerry but to the poster who said in essence 'I expect deals in the next two days...' keep in mind it takes two to make a trade. If a team doesn't want or need what the Sox have to offer they won't make a trade...has nothing to do with JR's 'fiscal responsibility' or Williams 'inexperience.'

Lip

PaulDrake
07-29-2005, 04:16 PM
Doing a rough estimate of Frank's five injuries it appears that he's missed about two full years. To bad....if he was healthy he'd be around 525 home runs right now.

Ken Williams comments about Frank now in the AP story on the Tribune. I guess no one can expect him to say anything different right now. "Williams said it was too early to decide if Thomas would return to the White Sox next season."

Lip This is a real long thread and the above referenced is the only post I've read. I think the White Sox and their fans should be prepared to accept that we have seen the last of Frank Thomas in a White Sox uniform. It gives me no joy whatsoever, I just think that this time it was obviously a real struggle for the big guy. The accumulation of injuries have taken their toll.

Pasqua's Posers
07-29-2005, 04:18 PM
In 2000 you had 3 pitchers that never really pitched again. Crede and Hermanson have been able to play through their injuries. Marte's the 4th man out of the pen. El Duque's the 5th starter. It's not even comparable.

technically, Garland is the fifth starter...:smile::D:

TaylorStSox
07-29-2005, 04:20 PM
This is a real long thread and the above referenced is the only post I've read. I think the White Sox and their fans should be prepared to accept that we have seen the last of Frank Thomas in a White Sox uniform. It gives me no joy whatsoever, I just think that this time it was obviously a real struggle for the big guy. The accumulation of injuries have taken their toll.

Frank's shown loyalty to this organization. The chairman has a history of showing loyalty back to the guys that he likes. I still wouldn't be surprised if Frank's back in a Sox uniform.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-29-2005, 04:21 PM
This is a real long thread and this is the only post I read. I think the White Sox and their fans should be prepared to accept that we have seen the last of Frank Thomas in a White Sox uniform. It gives me no joy whatsoever, I just think that this time it was obviously a real struggle for the big guy. The accumulation of injuries have taken their toll.

I don't think we've seen the last of Frank on the South Side. He has a broken foot. Bones heal, but they need time to do so. I'm sure Frank wants to play again, especially for the Sox. He must be thinking of the HOF. As for KW, he ought to know by now that replacing Frank's OPS is no easy task. Restructuring Frank's contracts makes perfect economic sense, too.

Contracts are not where negotiations end. It's where they BEGIN. Frank and KW need each other. Do a new deal and send Frank to Cooperstown wearing a Sox cap.

No worries.

cheeses_h_rice
07-29-2005, 04:24 PM
Not that I put much stock in his sports acumen, but Harry of MJH suggested Richie Sexson, who's tearing it up with Seattle, a team that's going nowhere this year.

Thoughts?

SOXSINCE'70
07-29-2005, 04:27 PM
The accumulation of injuries have taken their toll.

Sadly,they have.But Sox fans will not allow themselves to use
injuries as an excuse for the team's inability to win in the postseason.
Injuries are a part of sports.Fortunately,KW kept Crazy Carl and has not
traded him (yet).This was a wise move as no one knew what Thomas
had left when he came off the DL.This is a sad day,:(: but it's not the end
of the world.I still say if KW adds anything to this team,it will be bullpen
help.

Hey,maybe we can get Pedro Martinez,Hank Blalock and Mariano Rivera
for old bags of baseballs to the Mets,Rangers and Yankmees respectively.
:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :kneeslap: :kneeslap: :kneeslap:

ChiSoxPatF
07-29-2005, 04:27 PM
Not that I put much stock in his sports acumen, but Harry of MJH suggested Richie Sexson, who's tearing it up with Seattle, a team that's going nowhere this year.

Thoughts?

Not with his contract. Its too long and too much for the Sox and too big of an investment for Seattle to just cut loose after 1/2 a season. Harry isn't a rocketscientist.

BeviBall!
07-29-2005, 04:29 PM
God... this really, really blows.

ma-gaga
07-29-2005, 04:29 PM
Do a new deal and send Frank to Cooperstown wearing a Sox cap.

Do you think he'd go in with a different teams' cap if he let's just say signs with the Yankees next year??

ugh. That thought makes me sick just typing it.

I don't see it. If he went in as anything else it would be a huge travesty.

cleanwsox
07-29-2005, 04:32 PM
Do you think he'd go in with a different teams' cap if he let's just say signs with the Yankees next year??

There's no way that will happen.

TaylorStSox
07-29-2005, 04:35 PM

It wouldn't be his choice. Plus, nobody's going to take a chance on Frank. He's barely played in the last 2 years. If we want him back, he's ours. It's all up to the brass.

Jjav829
07-29-2005, 04:36 PM

It's no longer the players choice. Frank will go into the HOF wearing a Sox cap, regardless of where he plays next year.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-29-2005, 04:37 PM
There's no way that will happen.

If KW excercises the option on Frank and sets him free, I guarantee another team picks him up for 2006. After that, all bets are off over which cap Frank wears to Cooperstown.

It would be incredibly stupid for the Sox not to renegotiate Frank's deal with boatloads of incentives -- a JR specialty, I might add. The PR black eye this outfit would take for losing HOFer Frank Thomas would be beyond the pale. (No pun intended.)

MarySwiss
07-29-2005, 04:37 PM

Thoughts?

Having lived through the "great Richie Sexson experiment" with the D'Backs, I'd say "Be afraid. Be very afraid."

ElevenUp
07-29-2005, 04:39 PM
Frank is the best right handed hitter I've ever seen. I loved to watch his at-bats. Taking balls, fouling off good pitchers pitches and capitalizing on mistakes. If they kept track of 10+ pitch at-bats Frank would have the all time record. I think what he did in his short time back this year shows he could have been a 600 home run hitter if he was not as patient as he was during his career. He sacrificed a lot of home runs in the #3 slot by taking walks and hitting to right field. Hopefully he'll get his ring this year and be back bashing for the White Sox next year.
:whiner:

shoota
07-29-2005, 04:40 PM
I hope whoever we have replace Frank has a better looking wife than Kurt Warner has :)

:rolling: Yeah, that dude was ugly.

MsSoxVixen22
07-29-2005, 04:42 PM
I agree with alot of people on here. We've done well without Frank in the lineup before and we can do it again! Let's have faith in our team people! This isn't that bad. We need to come to grips with the fact we may never see Frank play again. Then again something could happen and we could see him play. Frank must feel like crap right now and I bet the rest of the guys do to. But they, like us, have to suck it up and keep going. They will be fine without Frank and I'm sure KW will get someone else and who knows Everett may start to get hot. Let's have faith in KW, Ozzie and our team. They've gotten the job done thus far. It's not the end of the world. Hopefully we will know this weekend about any trades

gobears1987
07-29-2005, 04:51 PM
He said he isn't out for the year, and thats all the reassurance I needed. Levine and WSCR like to break stories that don't pan out (Mark Buherle, Jon Schyer, and Shaun Livingston)
Levine is a ****ing bastard. He is the same moron who said Frank wouldn't be back until the AS break. Seriously, when does anyone listen to that moron?

BigEdWalsh
07-29-2005, 04:55 PM
I luv "reliable sources".

:cheers: I've been thinking the same thing for a long time. I get a kick out of some of these guys and their ****in' :bs: "sources".

alohafri
07-29-2005, 05:03 PM

I would go for Griff, but I ain't trading away Rowand for him. Marte and Everett at most.

Griffey has the same DL record as Frank over the past few years. If we trade Rowand for Griffey (like was suggested elsewhere) and Griff goes down, we are screwed.

robiwho
07-29-2005, 05:03 PM
I am sooooo depressed right now...

FloridaSox
07-29-2005, 05:05 PM
I am sooooo depressed right now...

...we have Ross Gload ready to take over.

SpammySosa
07-29-2005, 05:08 PM
...we have Ross Gload ready to take over.

Yeah and this makes it easier to forget what Frank means to us and the team.:rolleyes:

greenpeach
07-29-2005, 05:12 PM
Per Bruce Levine on ESPN Radio.

Why would you announce that prior to the trade deadline ? Now every GM in the league knows we're dealing from a position of weakness.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-29-2005, 05:16 PM
Why would you announce that prior to the trade deadline ? Now every GM in the league knows we're dealing from a position of weakness.

Because it wasn't announced. Levine got a leak and reported it because he is a Cubs fan.

ndu3t4
07-29-2005, 05:19 PM
I know everything that can be said has pretty much been said on this matter, but here's my two cents. It sucks that Frank's hurt, there's no doubt about that. He's a class act guy and everybody involved with the White Sox wants to see him get better as soon as possible. I think this is going to propel the team, especially guys like Pauly, Mark, and JG, who have been here for a while, to step it up and win a ring for their teamate, because he deserves one.

P.S. I don't want Ken Griffey Jr. There's nowhere to put him and he'll probably get b####y if he doesn't play everyday. I'd like to see them gey Aubry Huff, he's been on that losing team his whole carreer and he would love to play for a team with a shot.

MIgrenade
07-29-2005, 05:21 PM

Well, it's not like they didn't know he would be out for awhile anyway. With the prices being what they are, I doubt this will make a difference.

the gooch
07-29-2005, 05:40 PM
im wondering if levine will still have access to the clubhouse after this. they took their time to not announce anything and then come with some quick release right after levine opens his mouth. i dont think they wanted to announce anything until after the deadline, and i am sure the sox are not happy about the timing of this.

"hurt the team? but i got the scoop!"

halfpricemonday
07-29-2005, 05:42 PM
This is a real long thread and this is the only post I read. I think the White Sox and their fans should be prepared to accept that we have seen the last of Frank Thomas in a White Sox uniform. It gives me no joy whatsoever, I just think that this time it was obviously a real struggle for the big guy. The accumulation of injuries have taken their toll.

I agree with Kenny that it's not the right time to worry about Frank's contract situation, not when the team has got 60+ plus games left in a magical season. Kenny's going to make whatever deals he can make to continue our winning ways well into the fall, and then turn to Frank and his future as a White Sox when our season comes to an end.

Anyways, instead of worrying about it now as people as making comparisons to the 2000 season, won't it be nicer to revisit his contract when we're flush from a WS win and Frank has his ring?

balke
07-29-2005, 05:44 PM
Well, the good news is we've done most of our damage without Frank. The bad news is we we're so much better with him. We'll be chirping for a bat for years to come just like many predicted coming into the season, but we will also win a lot of games because the foundation of pitching is here.

Get well big Frank. Stay focused Kenny, don't push the panic button on trades. This team is built to win without the big bat. Everett produced some clutch hits when he was full-time DH earlier this season. Thankfully we have a healthy Gload back, and the balance is still there. The Sox have to stay smart to continue winning this season.

minastirith67
07-29-2005, 05:48 PM
im wondering if levine will still have access to the clubhouse after this. they took their time to not announce anything and then come with some quick release right after levine opens his mouth. i dont think they wanted to announce anything until after the deadline, and i am sure the sox are not happy about the timing of this.

"hurt the team? but i got the scoop!"

Not that I'm defending Levine, but wasn't there some sort of announcement in the media about there being a statement on Frank's condition today? Something was going to be said today, and Levine was perhaps the first one to release the information. If I have it wrong, please correct me.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-29-2005, 05:52 PM
Not that I'm defending Levine, but wasn't there some sort of announcement in the media about there being a statement on Frank's condition today? Something was going to be said today, and Levine was perhaps the first one to release the information. If I have it wrong, please correct me.

Levine reported it first. Who knows what the Sox were going to announce. However once the media was on the trail of whatever Levine broke, the point was moot.

It's not like they could deny what Levine reported as false on Friday and then turn around next Monday and admit he was right all along.

"Mina, if I was a bowl of cherries, would you spit out the pits or swallow them?"

JB98
07-29-2005, 05:52 PM
Because it wasn't announced. Levine got a leak and reported it because he is a Cubs fan.

Levine is a jerk, but it's his job to report this stuff. I'd like to kill the person who leaked the information to him.

bobwsx
07-29-2005, 05:57 PM
we need a bat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Piazza?

Infallible
07-29-2005, 05:57 PM
Damn it! I TOLD YOU GUYS HE SHOULD'VE WAITED! But NOOOOO we want to see the big man, he's ready, it'll be good for him..........:mad:DAMN IT!!!:angry:

EdHerman12
07-29-2005, 06:01 PM
I'd be more distraught if we lost a player like Pods, or Rowand, or Gooch. Big Hurt is awesome, and yes not having him in the line up is a negative thing, but folks....the team will go on and win without him. I hope he gets back asap...at the same time I can't help but wonder if his time has come and gone. Time will tell. It'd be nice to have a healthy #35 all season.

GET WELL HURT, WE'LL MISS YA! :gulp: GO SOX!

Man Soo Lee
07-29-2005, 06:07 PM
Everett is better than a .258 hitter.

That's about all he's hit in 2001, 2002, 2004, and 2005. Is he a #3 hitter on a World Series contender?

slavko
07-29-2005, 06:08 PM

You mean C-R-E-D-E? I'm having a spasm at the thought of Norton throwing a baseball.

DaGame2584
07-29-2005, 06:11 PM
Look in "What's The Score" the Red Sox/Devil Rays/Mets are rumor to making a huge trade.

whitesoxfan
07-29-2005, 06:29 PM
we need a bat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Piazza?

LOL!

:hawk

nnnnnnnno.

SoxEd
07-29-2005, 07:05 PM
Is this news about Frank the first evidence of H. Vickery's Law (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/glossary/index.php?a=list&d=1&p=1&w1=H) kicking in?

Do you know whose fault I think all this is?

It's clearly my fault!

When I first joined WSI, I listed Maggs as my favourite Sox - then he gets banged up, and has to leave the Sox.

I then list Frank as my favourite Sox - now he's banged up too.

I suck. This is clear evidence of the Curse of SoxEd...

With my sensible head on, it sucks that Frank's out again - I hope that this time he has enough rest for his ankle to heal fully, and that he comes back next year fully fit and hungry to improve his already-HOF-caliber stats.

We're going to miss him for sure, but, as others have already said, we started the season pretty well without him, so we ought to be able to get back on a tear for the rest of 2005.

Do I think we should trade some prospects for a good bat?
Only if we can get one who'll fit in with our Clubhouse, and who doesn't cost us the whole Farm.

Levine's release of this info before the deadline hurts our chances of realising part two of that equation, but, like JB98 said, he was actually doing his job there, and it's the guy who leaked the info to him that we should be angry with.

Best wishes for a speedy (and full) recovery to Frank, and Go Sox - let's Win It All for the Big Guy!

CYGarland20
07-29-2005, 07:27 PM
That's about all he's hit in 2001, 2002, 2004, and 2005. Is he a #3 hitter on a World Series contender? Losing Frank is definitely a downer, but at least we have a somewhat adequate replacement for him in Everett/Gload. Now losing Pods or Gooch would have REALLY hurt. But as much as Everett has helped this team, I still think we need a Legit #3 hitter who can hit for Avg, Power, and OBP, Everett is not that guy. I also think we need another LH bat for the Playoffs, Huff/Griffey/Dunn would be Great if KW doesn't have to give up the Farm, or Cincy can pay 1/2 of Griffey's salary. We also need another quality arm in the BP............ Hopefully KW can get something done, because I'm not convined this is a WS contender as is.

peeonwrigley
07-29-2005, 07:34 PM
This sucks.:whiner:

My favorite all time Sox player might be done.