PDA

View Full Version : Strike? Umm, eh eh


GASHWOUND
11-25-2001, 05:41 PM
Alot of people are worried that their won't be baseball next year, but I'm not. There will be baseball. WHY? Because the consequences are FAR to great for the owners and for the players. FAR TO GREAT. Dan Helpingstine brought up some good points in his article. Where the fans would boycott the games if even 1 day is lost to strike. But if the baseball goes on strike even for one day, fans would be furious and would actually boycott the ballgames. You would see stadiums looking like home crowds at Expos games. Look how long it took for people to get over the '94 strike(if people have gotten over it at all) So basebal having a strike riden year would be devestating to the revenue of baseball, the economics of baseball(same thing) and just overall anger at players and owners which would have a tailspin effect that would damage the game itself for a decade.
Simply put it, if baseball goes on strike..that would be the end of it. Of course until we forgive baseball like the saps we are.

Jerry_Manuel
11-25-2001, 05:52 PM
The players get paid no matter what. The owners will care if the park is empty not the players.

Daver
11-25-2001, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by GASHWOUND
Of course until we forgive baseball like the saps we are.

I am sure the owners have already considered this,which is why they announced there will be no lockout this year,they want the players to be blamed for the impending strike.It will blow up in their hands like everything else has,and the fan base will take a serious blow,but perhaps it is part of the master plan.

Paulwny
11-25-2001, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
The players get paid no matter what. The owners will care if the park is empty not the players.

Wasn't there a post that said FOX was committed to paying the owners?

Daver
11-25-2001, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny


Wasn't there a post that said FOX was committed to paying the owners?

The TV contract with FOX calls for payment even in the event of a work stoppage.It is a 2.5 Billion dollar contract.

GASHWOUND
11-25-2001, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
The players get paid no matter what. The owners will care if the park is empty not the players.

If there is no money coming in, how do the players get paid? And are the players that heartless that they wouldn't care if the place was empty?
Now that I find hard to believe. It just isn't possible for them to honor the players contract if no revenue is coming in. Unless you have a big TV deal, which the Spanks would have no problem. But for the lower bracket teams, they would go out of business.

GASHWOUND
11-25-2001, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by daver


The TV contract with FOX calls for payment even in the event of a work stoppage.It is a 2.5 Billion dollar contract.

Is this distributed evenly through each MLB club, or do the big teams only get hunks of it. Spanks, Dodgers, etc

Jerry_Manuel
11-25-2001, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by daver
The TV contract with FOX calls for payment even in the event of a work stoppage.It is a 2.5 Billion dollar contract.

God bless FOX.

Jerry_Manuel
11-25-2001, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by GASHWOUND
Is this distributed evenly through each MLB club, or do the big teams only get hunks of it. Spanks, Dodgers, etc

Every team gets the same amount as far as I know.

GASHWOUND
11-25-2001, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by daver


The TV contract with FOX calls for payment even in the event of a work stoppage.It is a 2.5 Billion dollar contract.

Also, thats a pretty F'd up deal if FOX still has to pay baseball even with no games airing on their stations. nice deal by baseball.

Jerry_Manuel
11-25-2001, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by GASHWOUND
If there is no money coming in, how do the players get paid? And are the players that heartless that they wouldn't care if the place was empty?
Now that I find hard to believe. It just isn't possible for them to honor the players contract if no revenue is coming in. Unless you have a big TV deal, which the Spanks would have no problem. But for the lower bracket teams, they would go out of business.


All the owners have money there not broke. I think some of them are that heartless, as long as the money keeps on rolling in why should they care?

Jerry_Manuel
11-25-2001, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by GASHWOUND
Also, thats a pretty F'd up deal if FOX still has to pay baseball even with no games airing on their stations. nice deal by baseball.

That was just for the playoffs Wound.

Daver
11-25-2001, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by GASHWOUND


Also, thats a pretty F'd up deal if FOX still has to pay baseball even with no games airing on their stations. nice deal by baseball.

And gives the owners some revenue while the game is on strike.

The players will not get paid if there is a strike,it is in there contract.

I'm sure Barry Bonds will file for unemployment pay.

Jerry_Manuel
11-25-2001, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by daver
And gives the owners some revenue while the game is on strike.
The players will not get paid if there is a strike,it is in there contract.
I'm sure Barry Bonds will file for unemployment pay.

Just what our guy needs free money that he doesn't spend on the team. But you watch the owners will cry poor once again.

Paulwny
11-25-2001, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by daver


.

I'm sure Barry Bonds will file for unemployment pay.

I can see a picture of him standing in line on the font page of the sports section. This will really go over well with the public.

duke of dorwood
11-25-2001, 07:48 PM
When does strike insurance kick in? Maybe thats why the owners immediately stated "no lockout" .

:reinsy

I am against any subliminal activity