PDA

View Full Version : Baez Rumor

Madvora
07-29-2005, 10:47 AM
From The St. Petersburg Times...(7/29)

Chisox stepping up in pursuit of Baez

Huff also mentioned

http://www.sptimes.com/2005/07/29/Rays/Chisox_stepping_up_in.shtml
Now there's a bit of proof. Baez said Thursday he got word from his agent that Chicago is in the mix.
"He said that the last few days the White Sox are being really aggressive," Baez said.

BeviBall!
07-29-2005, 10:57 AM
Good, good, good. Let's get these two and call it a day because I'm tired of holding my breath for Burnett.

ChiSoxPatF
07-29-2005, 10:58 AM
I read this too.... isn't Baez by far the LEAST exciting midseason pick up out there though?

Madvora
07-29-2005, 11:00 AM
They better get both of these guys rather than just one. I wonder what KW is offering though.

Ol' No. 2
07-29-2005, 11:06 AM
From The St. Petersburg Times...(7/29)

Chisox stepping up in pursuit of Baez

Huff also mentioned

http://www.sptimes.com/2005/07/29/Rays/Chisox_stepping_up_in.shtmlIn other news, the White Sox are reportedly interested in AJ Burnett. Is there anything in there we didn't already know?

mdep524
07-29-2005, 11:30 AM
Danys Baez as a replacement for Luis Vizcaino = good.

Danys Baez as a late innings set up man/closer = bad.

infohawk
07-29-2005, 11:38 AM
Baez is pretty decent, but is obviously not a "difference-maker" (think Wagner). I expect that the Sox view Baez as a component who would make everyone else in the bullpen better. It seems to me that the biggest threat to our bullpen is overuse. It hasn't seemed as sharp since guys have had to step up and cover for Dustin's bad back.

Madvora
07-29-2005, 12:00 PM
In other news, the White Sox are reportedly interested in AJ Burnett. Is there anything in there we didn't already know?
Well the other guys (Burnett and Huff) had their own threads to post updates in. I didn't see a place to post anything about Baez.

JUribe1989
07-29-2005, 12:09 PM

There is no comparison between Baez and Vizcaino. Baez is better at so many levels. He would be a great addition IMO as far as long relief goes.

Evman5
07-29-2005, 12:12 PM
Rays general manager Chuck LaMar has said he's looking for top-notch prospects. The Sox have a good one in pitcher Brandon McCarthy, who media reports have said is available.

There is no way in hell you do this deal if we are giving up McCarthy. There is no way McCarthy is worth Baez, Huff or both.

Madvora
07-29-2005, 12:20 PM
Rays general manager Chuck LaMar has said he's looking for top-notch prospects. The Sox have a good one in pitcher Brandon McCarthy, who media reports have said is available.

There is no way in hell you do this deal if we are giving up McCarthy. There is no way McCarthy is worth Baez, Huff or both.
I think KW already mentioned that he will only give up McCarthy for a top notch front line starter. Who knows who to believe. You can never trust what KW says. The paper may just be picking up the name from the Burnett rumors though. We're all in the dark here, but we will know in a couple of days.

Foulke You
07-29-2005, 01:18 PM
Baez is definitely a notch or two below Guardado and Wagner on the impact bullpen pitcher front but he definitely would add more depth. Baez might very well be our only option right now to add a quality bullpen arm.

Hangar18
07-29-2005, 01:18 PM

So Chuck LaMar says "looking for top-notch prospects" huh?
DONT MAKE ME LAUGH. This is the same Chuck LaMar who gave away Fred McGriff to the Cubs for a 42yr old .250 hitting second baseman, a second baseman who was soon out of baseball by the end of the season?
Hey Chuck, Whatever buddy

White Sox Randy
07-29-2005, 02:20 PM
Is this Joan Baez that were are trying to trade for ?

In this last 3 outings over 4 innings he has given up 10 hits and 6 runs on 3 homers for an era of 11.25.

JB98
07-29-2005, 02:26 PM

In this last 3 outings over 4 innings he has given up 10 hits and 6 runs on 3 homers for an era of 11.25.

Some guys struggle when they are the subject of never-ending rumors. I'm not real high on Baez either, but I wouldn't write him off entirely because of his recent woes.

CHISOXFAN13
07-29-2005, 02:30 PM

I'd take his 3.18 ERA with 19 saves which you semmed to have left out of the post.

Madvora
07-29-2005, 02:38 PM
Well, rumor is that the Phillies want Baez so they can deal Wagner.

That's fine with me. Let's help them out!

Soxzilla
07-29-2005, 02:44 PM
I love how people take stats and twist them out of proportion. Their arguments are very convincing!

Tekijawa
07-29-2005, 02:44 PM

BUY LOW! lol

White Sox Randy
07-29-2005, 02:52 PM
I'm wondering if there are hidden arm problems. He's been pretty good thruout his career but not great.

I wouldn't give up too much for him - especially considering he's been getting rocked of late.

bumptious96
07-29-2005, 02:58 PM
Well, rumor is that the Phillies want Baez so they can deal Wagner.

That's fine with me. Let's help them out!

If thats the case then let's three way it.

We get: Wagner and Huff

D-Rays Get: McCarthy, Sweeney/Anderson, Phillies prospect

Phillies Get: Contreras, Baez.

Goose
07-29-2005, 03:10 PM

Phillies Get: Contreras, another arm or another bat prospect.

I say no to that...Why in the world would we give up 2 top-tier prospects AND a SP for a closer and a LH Bat? Who would fill our 5th SP spot? I just don't see it happening like this.

HawkDJ
07-29-2005, 03:14 PM
Buster Olney said on the Dan Patrick Show that KW is becoming extremely frustrated by how much teams are asking for in return for their relievers but he hopes that when it comes to crunch time the price will come down. So we shall see.

TimChamp
07-29-2005, 03:23 PM

Phillies Get: Contreras, another arm or another bat prospect (BAEZ from D-Rays).

WOW! If Kenny can pull that off, more power to him!

I think you left out the Phillies getting Baez in return as well.

--Champ out

Walkman
07-29-2005, 04:02 PM

I think I'd rather three-way Joan Baez with someone a bit younger.

BeviBall!
07-29-2005, 04:07 PM
The Phils still have Urbina... a good closer a lot cheaper. I can't imagine they'd want Baez that badly.

Chisox003
07-29-2005, 04:08 PM
With Frank officially out, I'd LOVE to see Huff....

As for Baez, (And Huff), I think simply getting out of that ****ty situation that is the entire Devil Ray organization will be a big boost....

I mean, look at their home games....Who the hell would want to play there?

Huff, Baez (Turned around for Wagner?), Cintron....Cmon Kenny, we dont ask for much!

Seriously, if we can replace willie with cintron, timo with huff, and marte with wagner....

Wow....We've been waiting and hearing for these trades for weeks....2 days to go

Fredsox
07-29-2005, 05:04 PM

Damn! Beat me to it!

Mr. White Sox
07-29-2005, 05:31 PM
Buster Olney just said that the Devil Rays wanted Jose Reyes or David Wright for Baez. If that's true, LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

joltnjoe
07-29-2005, 06:02 PM
Baez=Vizcaino

He is overrated, and I wouldn't trust him as our closer.

Chips
07-29-2005, 06:59 PM

So are rotation consists of Buehrle, Garcia, Garland, El Duque, and ????????????

Chisox003
07-29-2005, 07:35 PM
Baez=Vizcaino

He is overrated, and I wouldn't trust him as our closer.

He wouldnt be our closer.....Remember that one guy, Hermanson?

The bullpen would look great if this trade happened.....Politte, Marte, Baez, Cotts, Hermanson

Thats a playoff ready pen, and if you replace baez with Wagner....

Pfff...ridiculous

Tragg
07-29-2005, 09:41 PM

That's about all he's good for. We shouldn't have to give up much for a mediocre pitcher like Baez.

IlliniSoxFan
07-29-2005, 10:31 PM
That's about all he's good for. We shouldn't have to give up much for a mediocre pitcher like Baez.

Unfortunately, though, the market is not set by the talent of the player so much as what everybody else is willing to pay for him. So, though he's mediocre, he's better than Vizcaino, and if he's the only option for improvement, it's going to be more expensive than you or I will like.

Joosh
07-29-2005, 10:37 PM
So are rotation consists of Buehrle, Garcia, Garland, El Duque, and ????????????

Vizcaino?

They are asking a lot for a mediocre player. Our time would be better spent looking for a bigger impact player. I don't think Baez is the way to go.

Tragg
07-29-2005, 10:44 PM
Unfortunately, though, the market is not set by the talent of the player so much as what everybody else is willing to pay for him. So, though he's mediocre, he's better than Vizcaino, and if he's the only option for improvement, it's going to be more expensive than you or I will like.
Then we don't get him, it's as simple as that. No reason to make bad trades to firm up something that would be nice to strengthen, but isn't a weakness.
I will also note that it seems to be that Sox pitchers are not those considered to have great value, even though we are 31 above .500. Contreras could be a 4th starter on 1/2 the teams fighting for the playoffs, easily.

Get a hitter - their prices aren't nearly as ridiculous as pitching prices. And we need one.

I'm sure glad we shored up our pitching in the offseason. 5 solid starters plus a top prospect who could easily take over 5th starter duties sufficiently well to get us into the playoffs (after which the 5th starter disappears anyway).

MIgrenade
07-29-2005, 11:10 PM
Vizcaino?

They are asking a lot for a mediocre player. Our time would be better spent looking for a bigger impact player. I don't think Baez is the way to go.

What big impact player? This is the problem, all the prices are outrageous. I don't want Baez much either but this team could use help with a bat and a bullpen arm, and there's nothing out there at a reasonable price.

DaleJRFan
07-30-2005, 03:40 AM
I hope that KW doesn't think that Baez is the answer for the bullpen. One look at his numbers indicates that he is marginally better than Vizcaino, if at all better. Put Vizcaino in a Devil Rays uniform and he is their closer.

Vizcaino has been remarkably improved as of late. What difference will Baez make in the post season?? The Sox will run on a 3 or 4 man rotation, leaving one or two of the starters in relief modes. Contreras and El Duque are considerably better pitchers than Baez.

If the Sox go after a bullpen arm, it had better damn well be a top-end guy (Wagner, etc...)

I think a lot of this is incited by the press creating trade scenarios, lets hope and trust that KW knows a hell of a lot more about what this team needs than the media...

Speculation has been that the White Sox have the most interest in acquiring either Devil Rays closer Danys Baez or outfielder/DH Aubrey Huff.

Now there's a bit of proof. Baez said Thursday he got word from his agent that Chicago is in the mix.

"He said that the last few days the White Sox are being really aggressive," Baez said.

http://www.sptimes.com/2005/07/29/Rays/Chisox_stepping_up_in.shtml