PDA

View Full Version : Shingo Optioned = Open Roster Spot???

nug0hs
07-29-2005, 11:43 AM
The bottom of the Sox Press Release:

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20050728&content_id=1148197&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

states that with Shingo being optioned, our 40 man roster now stands at 39 ballers. Who, if anyone, do you think will be called up in time for 1st pitch in Bmore tonight? Could this open roster spot also come into consideration as the clock is ticking on the trade deadline? Your thoughts/comments welcomed.

mjmcend
07-29-2005, 11:49 AM
That is the 40 man roster. No one is getting called up since the major leauge roster is only 25 men and its filled. However the open spot on the 40-man roster might be filled by a trade.

doublem23
07-29-2005, 06:35 PM
The 40 man roster doesn't need to be completely filled; Shingo's spot on the 25-man roster was taken by El Duque a week and a half ago when he came back from the D.L.

Mohoney
07-29-2005, 08:42 PM
Don't be shocked if Brian Anderson is added to the 40 man roster if he's not part of a deal by July 31, since he needs to be added anyway before the next Rule 5 draft. This would give KW the flexibility to bring Anderson up if (I hope it doesn't happen) one of our outfielders gets hurt, or (more preferably) as a September callup.

I'm not entirely sure about Ryan Sweeney, but I think that since he was only 18 when he was drafted, he wouldn't be eligible for the next Rule 5 draft, and therefore we can wait another year with him.

Also, if Frank Thomas is put on the 60 day DL, he wouldn't count against the 40 man roster, and another spot would be opened.

Daver
07-29-2005, 09:00 PM
Don't be shocked if Brian Anderson is added to the 40 man roster if he's not part of a deal by July 31, since he needs to be added anyway before the next Rule 5 draft. This would give KW the flexibility to bring Anderson up if (I hope it doesn't happen) one of our outfielders gets hurt, or (more preferably) as a September callup.

I'm not entirely sure about Ryan Sweeney, but I think that since he was only 18 when he was drafted, he wouldn't be eligible for the next Rule 5 draft, and therefore we can wait another year with him.

Also, if Frank Thomas is put on the 60 day DL, he wouldn't count against the 40 man roster, and another spot would be opened.

Brian Anderson is not eligible for the rule 5 draft in June of 2006, he has not been with the team for five years. The same goes for Sweeney.

Joe Borchard would be eligible for the rule 5 draft however.

mealfred13
07-30-2005, 01:51 AM

Wishful thinking? :wink:

balke
07-30-2005, 01:53 AM
Josh Fields or Norton?

dcb33
07-30-2005, 01:54 AM
Wishful thinking? :wink:

But he can hit 500 foot homers!

Mohoney
07-30-2005, 05:36 AM
Brian Anderson is not eligible for the rule 5 draft in June of 2006, he has not been with the team for five years. The same goes for Sweeney.

It's 5 years? I thought it was 3, unless you were 18 when you originally signed, which makes it 4.

This article must be wrong, then.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/s/transanctionsprimer.html